Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:34 am

"Something's chewed at this horse since we were here. No normal animal I know would try eating something so rancid."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:51 am

The soldiers stop their examination of the remains at Lurn's pronouncement. The half-elf asks,

"How big of a creature was it?"

The three separate slightly from each other and scan the dark woods.

((Nature or survival for creature size and type.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:01 am

"Lurn... Didn't we drop it more... Over there? It'd have to be big to do that... You think it's owlbears again? Ealu said she smelled predators outside camp last night..."

Survival: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6

Kroshav's expression goes blanker than usual as he telepathically confers when Ealu about whether she picks up the same predator presence.

((I was assuming I'd be safely incorrect in saying 🦉 🐻 with his 6 survival...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:47 am

<Charlie says he can't smell any tonight. I don't know smells good yet.>

It doesn't seem like owlbears, but it could be! No feathers anyhow.

The soldiers shuffle at the mention of owlbears.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:58 am

Lurn casts Guidance on himself, then inspects the horse, though doesn't touch it at all, "Owlbears have beaks, not teeth, so I dare say it would look more like tears than bites if it was one of those. It wouldn't be so bad it if was just an owlbear, honestly, I might be able to convince it that we're too large a group to hunt, and an even larger group would come looking for us."

Survival + Guidance: 1D20+5+1D4 = [15]+5+[3] = 23
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:24 am

Lurn determinations that, from what he can see if the tracks and damage to the putrid horse remains, this isn't an owlbear. His theories on convincing an animal known universally as 'stupidly, amazingly aggressive' to not attack through the use of persuasion and reasoning will, sadly, have to remain untested.

What sticks out most in his inspection is that there are clearly heavy, clawed footprints. Not paw prints, but distinctly footprints. And, as he stated, the horse has been gnawed on. One large portion of its flank and much of the offal that spilled out is now gone. He would hazard whatever did this likely doesn't smell terribly nice.

It is hard to determine where it went, too many people have made trails around the horse today but it seems like it maybe came from the east and returned the same direction.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:42 am

"Big, humanoid, and with how it's eaten away at this carcass, we'll probably smell it by the time we see it. Probably went east, but I can't be sure. Everyone be on guard."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:50 am

The soldiers look around and the half-elf asks,

"Which way does the trail we want to follow go?"

((It generally went south and east))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:00 am

Kroshav makes sure his sword is ready to be drawn at a moment's notice.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:05 am

"South-east-ish, at least until the creek."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:25 am

The soldier in charge considers the horse and the tracks for a long moment before nodding and saying,

"Best we get moving then. Lead on."

They follow up to the stream and the half-elf asks,

"You say there was a trail to the southwest of something large and no trails to the northeast?"

She looks up and down the small stream. Before sending a pair upstream to make a check of their own.

"Don't shout if you find anything, just come back. Do shout if something finds you."

The pair head off with a torch of their own.

((Another perception please))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:34 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Cary chuckles..."Enough good mechanic...enough...You have demonstrated that you live your vocation..." She shakes her head. "I'm afraid it tells me that you wouldn't have noticed anyone if they were taking particular interest in you to make you the scape goat...so be it..."

Cary looks at the Dwarf..."I will ask the Lieutenant to send one of his men who can take your statement and you will sign it in your own name..." She looks solemn at this..."and then will assist you in writing an apology to the Lieutenant for hindering his investigation with your obstinate and insulting behavior...Doing such will hopefully erase all memory of the young woman with a name no Dwarf would rightly have..."

Cary turns and knocks on the door. "I hope we will meet again one day...under far better circumstances..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:16 pm

My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:28 am

Kroshav's attention is focused on the fading glow of the pair moving upstream and doesn't notice a figure standing in the trees right at the very edge of the light cast by the torches and enchanted shield. They look to be near the trail used to get here. Lurn, however, does spot it.

It is holding fairly still and is hard to distinguish in the shadows but is clearly humanoid and about Kroshav's height and just as broad. It looks like it is holding something in one of it's hands but it isn't clear what.
----
The dwarf takes Cary's first statement as a compliment and gives a belligerent nod to her request to use her real name and make a statement.

Cary and Joe are let out and the lieutenant gives both a questioning look.

"Are we done or...?"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:23 am

(Back, sorry, unexpectedly weird last two days)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:30 am

NotStickFigures wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:23 am (Back, sorry, unexpectedly weird last two days)
((Feel free to roll perception!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:17 am

Lurn hurriedly turns to face the figure, raising his shield in front of himself (I guess mechanically that's a dodge action), "Identify yourself."
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:27 am

"Lurn... you feeling alright buddy? It's me... Kroshav. And this is Jaq, we're your friends..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:48 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:28 pm

The figure takes a step back trying to stay out of the light and behind a tree, Lurn lights up a bit of its bare shoulder that looks well muscled but in the shadows is hard to distinguish more about it.

Jaq looks where the light of Lurn's shield is pointed and sees nothing, nor does Kroshav.

The two soldiers also look in that direction and one says,

"Is there something--"

But the other says,

"Gods, what is that? Who's there?"
For its part the figure only moves, somewhat noisily backwards.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:00 pm

"I said to identify yourself. Do that and we won't have to be hostile."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:18 am

It doesn't respond immediately as it shifts further back but the let's out a long, growling shriek.

But to Lurn's thinks he hears,
► Show Spoiler
The shriek ends and the forest is, by comparison, still and silent.

The more perceptive soldier cocks his head and squints into the forest to the northeast and whispers,

"Something big is coming..."

The two draw swords.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:18 am

"Ah. That... That there is a child. And it just called for its mother. It's speaking giant, so if we're extremely lucky I'll be able to talk things down. Unfortunately, a lot of giants have a tendency for violence over words." In Giant, the large man speaks toward the child, "You giant? Not monster? Worried little persons."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:41 am

Lurn gets no direct reply except a pause and a renewed call. He can also just hear a crunching sound through the woods now heading their way.