Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:52 pm

Lurn gives a slight nod, "I can see why he was appreciated. This room will be good, yes, and food is appreciated. Thank you for your hospitality, madam. If you don't mind, it has been quite some time since I last slept. If any of your employees are injured once I wake, I shall assist in treating them. For any emergency cases, please wake me and I will do what I can."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:42 am

"I will keep that in mind, thank you."

The Mistress leaves Lurn to his rest.
---
Ves does a reasonable job copying Nance and finds herself in a cramped space between the roof and the ceilings of the rooms. Nance moves hunched over to a spot a few yards from the hatch and pushes a spot with her back. There are a few popping noise and the roof opens up slowly before being caught by a chain. Nance stretches in the foggy night. It is noticeably less foggy than it was now and from their vantage the city is lit up around them. Nance steps over a few roofing tiles and sits straight legged on a flat wooden stretch an arms length long and wide a yard from the edge of the roof. She sits on one side and slaps the spot next to her.

"Great view! Take a seat and ya can get focusin'. Like so."

She straightens her back and takes a deep breath before slowly bringing her hands together, palms flat. Eyes still closed in the same position.

"Ya gotta get comfy, but not too comfy. Then ya focus on somethin'. I like thinkin' 'bout fire over a stone. Stone don't give a shit. Stone just is. Stone don't change. Stone knows what its center is."
---
Joe easily finds everything she is looking for excepting the scrolls ((if you mean magical)) and it costs her 2 gold, mostly for the high quality inks. She sees she can find nearly everything here but is directed to the north of town for any significant metal work. The prices also seem to be a bit higher here on the main streets.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:15 am

(Yes, she's looking for magical scrolls.)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:21 am

Jaq will scrounge around the cupboards a bit, and not finding any nuts, he will instead grab the crusty end of the older loaf of bread. Breaking off a small piece of it he offers it to Ruby.
Still trying to figure out how much the bird actually can talk and how intelligent it is, he asks, "Do you like bread, Ruby? Oh, and Sorry, we are out of any nut treats."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:22 am

((She finds none at the stores she walks past or enters.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:53 am

"Bread?" Ruby comes over and eats some of it, eying Jaq while doing so. "Whatcha doin'?"

(That's fine. After an hour or more she'll head back.)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Ves shrugs her pack off and sits down in a comfortable cross-legged poster with her hands resting on her knees as she tries to visualise Nance's fire over a stone. She shivers again in the cool night air and idly wishes she was out in the wilds with a real camp and real fire.

The idea of the campfire is comforting, and she finds her mind wandering into her memories of the sparks and smoke swirling up from the smouldering orange logs.

She starts to feel a little less cold.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:53 am

Nance mummers quietly beside Ves for what, to Ves, seems only like a few minutes before suddenly saying loudly,

"Good, been 'ere more 'an 'our. Ya seem to go the gist of it more or less. I'd say ya should give it an hour a day for a week an' then start usin' the same thing to focus yaself. Like the fire or whatever moves to where ya need it. Start small an' we can practice it a bit to get ya focused."

She stands and walks over to the still open roof piece and hops in. "Come on, ya need to get some rest!"

((If everyone is happy with where the night is at I will get everyone up to about the same time in the morning))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:52 am

"Already? But we didn't hit anything yet..."

Ves will follow Nance back.

((Ooc: yeah happy to move on))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:43 am

(all good)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:06 am

(Fine with me! I'll update the sheet for 5 trail rations and a water skin later.)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:34 pm

Nance leads Ves back the way they came in, closing the roof behind them and pulling the ceiling hatch down with a bang as she hops down behind Ves.

"This way, Jungle room for ya!"

Going down the hall they are in (away from where Lurn went) Nance brings Ves to a brightly painted green door and without pausing opens it up.

The most striking thing about the room is the pale light coming in from what seems to be a large tilt glass window in the ceiling. The low light of the room reveals...plants. Everything from small trees in pots to vines growing up to form a canopy over a bed in the middle of the room. The air is more humid and smells like the forest after a good rain. "'Ere ya go. 'Ave a great night Ves an' I'll see ya tomorrow. Try not ta rot in 'ere."

Nance leaves without any additional commentary and closes the door behind her leaving Ves in the half light coming through the window surrounded by plants.

((Assuming she just bunks up))

Ves is woken to the odd sight of a young girl sitting on the edge of her bed, eyes closed and chin raised towards the ceiling window, morning sun shining down on her.
---
Lurn is woken to what probably is someone's idea of sneakily opening the ((locked?)) door to his room. The door opens and the smell of fried meat comes into the room and something...sour. A young serving man enters the rooms awkwardly and puts a tray on the small end table before quickly leaving.
---
After looking around town for an hour or so and finding what she could Joe returns to Jaq's house. It is still early morning but neither Lurn nor Ves have returned. Jaq's father has opened the shop and is helping a customer looking at a particular 'relic', but also seem to be more quietly listening to the man gossip about the state of Stenrek than making sale. Jaq's father gives Joe a friendly smile and indicates she should head back into the house where she finds Jaq learning about parrots and trying to make a new friend.

((I am going to say that Jaq and Joe are at around 9:30ish and put Lurn and Ves around 8-8:30 unless that seems very late for them to get up. I figure they wanted a long rest and it be a minimum of that late to get the full rest. We can retcon as need if I went to far/fast))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:22 pm

((Ves would probably have taken some time to check out the plants and stuff before bed, and will make sure her boots and bag are safely stored close by the bed before she turns in, also making sure the door is locked.))

On waking up and seeing the girl, she starts awake, and immediately looks to the skylight in case it's opened.

"I... Look, I don't mind company, but you're a little young for my tastes. ...no offense."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:36 am

((A full rest is good.))

Once the serving man has left the room, Lurn rises, grateful for the food, and turns to inspect the tray.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:56 am

The skylight appears to be firmly closed.

The little girl, probably around 7 or so, turns her face from the sun and looks at Ves with very blue eyes, narrowing them slightly in a very unchildlike expression of...inspection. She gives a non-commital "hmm" noise and goes back to holding her face in the sun with her eyes closed. There is something about her that seems off but Ves can't quite place it (investigation or perception roll). In a voice that fits her little frame she says,

"This is a bad place daughter of our line. If these liars, cheats, gluttons, murders and whore-mongers can be believed you saved this city. Why did you choose to reside here, of all places?"
---
Lurn rises to see they have delivered a healthy size chunk of meat that may or may not be pork along with a large bowl of soured milk that is common in poorer homes in the Duchy. Some coarsely ground cinnamon has also be provided, presumable for the the soured milk. A pitcher of warmish beer has also been provided.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:18 am

Ves sits up, pulling her right knee to her chest. She's ready to spring if it becomes necessary, but she's mostly just confused and decides to keep the girl talking a bit in case her motivations make themselves and this situation any clearer...

"I don't know these folk, but they've done nothing wrong by me. Haven't paid 'em anything either's far as I can see. Otherwise, it's just a bed. And better than the one I was expecting tonight too.

Who are you? And how did you get in my room?"

Perception; Insight: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17
1D20+5 = [10]+5 = 15

((Does she recognise the girl at all? Maybe by her voice?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:07 am

((Oh, I forgot to mention my spell list is unchanged. I basically don't anticipate using any non-ritual spells other than healing, so no point fussing about having anything else.))

Noting the poor nature of the food, Lurn frowns slightly. While he's no ascetic, persons with no more to offer than this couldn't be asked for charity. The food, at least, he would have to pay them for. After he had eaten, of course. Though, considering the likelihood of questionable ingredients being put to use, with the milk's current state, he decides it would be best to take caution with the meal; beginning a prayer of thanks for the meal, the large man conducts the ritual of Purify Food and Drink, cleansing any possible disease from the meal.

(Basically, ritual-casting Purify Food and Drink before eating it as a sort of daily prayer and precaution against the illnesses. More of an RP thing than actually expecting anything bad of the food.)

Once he's finished his prayers and eaten, using the cinnamon to help down the milk, though leaving the beer untouched, Lurn collects the tray and brings it downstairs to return it.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:20 am

As Ves sets up she gets a good look at the girl and she figures out what seems the most odd about her. She is wearing a longer, light blue dress that is typical in Stenrek for the lower and middle classes that reaches her ankles. As she swings her feet absently Ves sees that she isn't wearing any shoes, but that isn't uncommon either of a child her age. What is odd about the girl is how very clean she is. Her dress is spotless, her bare feet are unblemished by even the lightest smug of dirt, almost like she didn't use them to get into the room.

"Evil can bide its time Vesri and takes it payments in things more valuable than gold." She looks back at Ves, "I am known as Serad and I have been sent to guide you by your...many times great grandmother as a guide of sorts. Which is appears you are in need of. As to getting in? The door did not seem to be locked."

This little girl is giving off a seriously judgy vibe and seems to believe what she is saying. She doesn't recognize the girl at all thought.
---
There is a new bartender as Lurn comes down with the tray. Unlike the gnome from the night before she has both her eyes and is friendly enough.

"Mornin, sir! Mistriss said I should get ya whatever ya needed!" She frowns at the full pitcher of beer but shrugs and puts it under the bar.

((The rotten milk is just typical poor people food around there, no slight to you exactly.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:59 am

((Wasn't thinking it was.))

Lurn offers a slight smile, "No harm meant with the drink, but as a man of the faith I abstain from drink. As for what I need, it would be to know the worth of the meal I received. While a place to rest is fine enough, I must at least pay for my meal."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 am

Lurn catches a brief flash of greed in the woman's eyes before it is replaced by a slightly worried look.

"See, thing is I'd gladly take ya money but I was told not ta. But if ya should say...drop some coins over the counter an forget ta pick'm up again? Well that'd work, nones the wiser. How's a silver sound when it hits?" She gives Lurn a winning smile with surprisingly nice teeth.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:54 am

Jaq walks into the shop, "Ah, Joe, I thought I heard someone enter, " he states with a smile, "did you find the goods you were looking to buy?" If Ruby would do it, the bird would be on Jaq's shoulder.

"We still haven't seen anything of the other two, but hopefully they will show up soon. I'm interested in what they might have encountered after they split from us last night."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:20 pm

"Ah found some food 'n some wat'rskins but Ah dinnae see no magic scrolls. Was Ruby behavin'?"

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:42 pm

"Oh, yes. I'll bird-sit anytime you need." Jaq grins, "I was trying to figure out how much she understood of my talking common to her, and I'm still not sure."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:30 pm

The gossiping man looks at Ruby and Jaq before continuing his recounting of what actually happened the previous day. It doesn't seem to fit what Jaq and Joe witnessed and involves a plot by the Balyon government and the dragonborn..