Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:05 am

Lurn is nearly certain it is fan leaf, a plant with significant poisonous qualities. Kroshav is pretty sure it is coriander, a plant with significant tastiness qualities.

The woman wipes the plant bit on the man's night shirt and takes the container. "Letter didn't kill'm." She pops the cork and sniffs it. "Think it is tallow with something added." She holds it up to the light, "See the tiny black chunks in there." She uses her pinky to scoop a bit out and look at in the light. "Dunno. Probably a salve but don't know for what." She scrapes the tallow back into the container. She pushes through the other stuff, opening the coin pouch and shaking it around before setting it back and looking at the rations then at the spice, salt and herb bags. She pauses at the herb pouch sniffs it before turning to Lurn and Kroshav, "What's this smell like to you? Been standing too close to him and his mess." (Nature again)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:32 am

Kroshav has a sniff...

Nature: 1D20-2 = [4]-2 = 2
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:33 am

Jaq answers the loud dwarf, "Yes, we only have been here the night. This morning Jolly found the man dead in his cot and he notified the innkeeper. He was already in his cot, and I thought sleeping, when we went up there to sleep."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:48 am

Kroshav gets a snout full of...yep that is coriander for sure.

"Well?"

---
"Which one of ye is Jolly?"

Jolly shrinks down.

"If ye'd kill'm aye doubt you'd report it but aye hate waking up to a dead body after a night on the watch." He sits down and grabs a piece of bread and the half elf girl drifts over to stand nearby. "Nezza up there then? Hok said his mum was already on the way. Closest thing we have to a doc." He munches on the loaf and says with a full mouth, "Ye know ye can't be leaving till this is cleared up, right?"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 am

Jaq sighs loudly, "Yes, that is what I was afraid you were gonna say. It seems some of my friends are up there trying to help already anyways, so it does seem like we're going no where fast." At the end he gives a wry smile. "Only thing I can really add of any help, as an Elf you know I don't have to sleep for long, so I was kind of awake part of the night. I didn't see anyone come up to the man at all. Before the rest of us got up, there was one other traveler who stayed in one of the private rooms, an Elf I think, and they are gone already I think. But as I said, I didn't see them go near the guy who I thought was sleeping."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:59 am

The dwarf looks over at the hovering half elf girl,

"Anyone else staying here last night? And can ye get me some ale? Hard to start meh day without it."

The girl answers,

"There is a couple in one of the other rooms. Haven't seen'm. The Elf woman came through before we had breakfast going but took some bread on the way out."

And then goes through the door and quickly returns with a mug of ale for the dwarf. Jolly tries not to look jealous.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:10 am

"Coriander, just like the one in his mouth." Kroshav reaches for a pinch...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:12 am

Ves just stays by the door and keeps quiet.

((OOC: Ves has decent Nature & Survival skills if anyone upstairs wants to suggest showing her the weird herbs. Otherwise, she'll just stay put))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:19 am

"Coriander?" She proffers the bag so Kroshav and get a pinch of the herbs/tea. He pulls back an assortment of different parts of plants mixed together, including dried bits of leaf similar to the one the woman picked out the dead man's mouth. Looking closely Kroshav can see a few different types of berries, mostly dark red or black, along with some thicker leaf portions. Out of the bag the mix smells vaguely sweet.

The woman gives the contents another sniff. "Probably going to have to ask someone that knows more about plants. When its just pieces like this its hard to say." She goes back to looking through the items laid out and places the pouch next to the others before looking at the man's feet and along his scalp for injuries.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:22 am

"Don't think any of ours know plants better than Lurn and I do, but don't think coriander had berries?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:24 am

"Definitely fan leaf. Question is why it was in his mouth."

Lurn Nature + Guidance: 1D20+1D4-1 = [1]+[2]-1 = 2

"I've no clue what the mixture is, but I would advise nobody consume anything in it. My ritual only cleanses poison from food and drink, not from fools who consume it. Perhaps he was on a task somebody didn't wish him to complete? The letter may hold some clue."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:33 am

((They do have berries but they're green and look like peas sorta.))

"Well I can't see much else here, but can't rightly understand if someone wanted him dead they'd put it in his things."

She shrugs,

"Best you get Enrud up here too if you plan on opening the man's stuff or head down and wait for him, my boy said he was goin' to get him."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:37 am

((I'm only familiar with them dried as a beer ingredient. Kroshav, not at all.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:41 am

((What kind of flavor do they give the beer? Is it together with the hops or instead?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:47 am

((Herbaly citrus, one of the defining ingredients in wit beers.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:56 am

Joe smells the herb pouch, trying to determine what the herbs are. Nature: 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8

"I ain't sure what tha herb be."

She eyes the strange mixture.
Int: 1D20+2 = [6]+2 = 8
"Ain't sure what that be eith'r. If ye want Ah can detect mag'c n see if anything he has be mag'c, though I doubt it."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:08 am

The pouch vaguely sweet to Joe and the mixture looks like the woman described it, tallow with chunks in it.

The woman shrugs, "Don't know magic, up to you."

At this point Nezza, the owner, sighs and goes downstairs to get Enrud.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:10 am

Joe nods and starts to cast detect magic as a ritual.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:04 pm

Nezza comes down the stairs and approaches the table the group is sitting at with Enrud. Narrowing her eyes she looks between Enrud, his ale and the half elf girl.

"Enrud, get off your ass and stop drinking my ale. They need you upstairs. And you," she points at the girl, "know better than to give him anything until he pays up." The girl glares back at Nezza while Enrud deftly drains the mug and heads up the stairs.

Nezza turns to head up but stops and looks at the remaining people at the table and Ves by the door,

"Any of you know your plants? If so you might as well come up."

She takes several large steps to catch up with Enrud's slower pace and follows him up the stairs with looking to see if anyone is following her. As they come up the stairs she can be heard, by those upstairs, explaining about the letter. Enrud gives a nod and heads over to the cot scratching his stomach while he looks at the body,

"Open it up. Maybe we can figure out what happened, else who we can let know he's passed."
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:08 pm

"His BODY?! Isn't that a bit... extreme?
Not to mention messy."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:29 pm

Enrud looks up from the body assessing if Kroshav is joking. Deciding he probably isn't slowly explains,

"Open the letter. Don't think Nezza'd appreciate the mess of opening this lad up here."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:34 pm

"Yeah that's probably a better place to start, if you still think you need to open him up later, I can help carry him out."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:42 pm

"Right...thank ye, Kroshav was it?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:00 pm

Ves shrugs at Jolly and shifts from her position by the door and heads upstairs.

"Someone found plants? I can take a look."
Survival: 1D20+5 = [13]+5 = 18
(maybe +2 more to make 20?)

(Nature is +0, medicine is +3. I figure survival is probably usable here tho if we're talking about potential poisons. Also, since she's a cook, she has a potential +2 proficiency from her cooks utensils that may also be relevant but I'm not sure. Either way, my roll is between 13 and 20 :lol: )