Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:47 pm

Keshav gets up well rested, and helps anyone who is getting some food around for breakfast.

We climbing out today then? That map any help? "
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:15 pm

"yeah, we'll keep an eye on the skies for rain, and watch the cliffs for an easy place to climb out. I don't want a repeat of yesterday."

She'll make a breakfast for folk and show them the map (translating all the Danger stuff) then, when everyone's ready, lead them onwards and further up the Cut until there's a good place to climb out. She'd be keen to use the map and stay in the "Safe" part, so will climb out sooner rather than later if thats the best way to stay in the safe part and resume travelling N/NE.

((I've lost track of the direction we need to head in at this point, but I assume Ves is on it!))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:21 pm

((Perception for a climb out spot that looks 'easy' please. NNE is the direction your headed so you and Ves are both on it!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:24 pm

Kroshav helps out with breakfast, his previous funk forgotten or at least set aside in the interest of food.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:37 pm

Much better!

Perception: 1d20+3 = [18] = 21

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:36 am

After an hour of walking after breakfast Ves spots a section of wall that isn't quite as tall as the rest but also looks to be a solid slab of some kind of rock. The rock protrudes a few feet from the rest of the wall and is very steep but isn't nearly as vertical as the rest of the wall. It is potentially climbable without a rope but a rope would make it significantly easier.

((40ft climb, some hand and foot holds but steep and generally a hard climb. What's the plan?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:37 am

"So, this is where we're getting out? I'm guessing the most capable person climbs first, secures a rope to that magic stick, and then we all climb out, with myself going last? I'll grant each of you my Lord's Guidance before you ascend, and if you manage to fall I will restore you so you barely have an ache." The firbolg glances at Joe, "Maybe we should just tie the rope around this one and have Kroshav haul her up. Couldn't weigh enough to be a problem."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:18 am

((Give me an athletics for Lurn in case everyone else manages to scramble up and he get his chance.

Also, who is carrying the stick and how are you carrying it?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 am

"I'll go first!"

Kroshav attacks the climb with gusto...

Athletics: 1d20+7+1d4 = [7] = 17
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 am

Kroshav throws himself at the rock wall and quickly scales it, only slipping a bit once or twice. At the top he can see a number of roots and trees that he could potentially tie a rope to.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:38 am

... Okay, have a look at this roll: 1d20+3+1d4 = [4] = 9

I somehow feel like Mort didn't account for having multiple dice in one roll, because I don't have a clue how that works. I'm gonna roll again with separate things. If anyone can decipher that first roll then it's fair to use it, but I don't even know what was and wasn't used.

Athletics: 1d20+3 = [17] = 20
Guidance: 1d4 = [2] = 2
total: 22

I'm starting to see it now that I look at Spider's roll. It seems like the middle part only shows the d20 roll, so my confusion was from not seeing the d4 part. So yeah, Lurn is going to have difficulties.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:08 am

If rope would be something Kroshav would have picked up in his travels, he'll tie it off and toss the other end down. If not... I guess he's climbing back down again.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:43 am

((He's got rope in his explorer's pack, 50 ft of it. Little on the short side but should be just enough.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:48 am

((Oh, yep! I got a new phone recently, and apparently gave him a priest's pack accidentally when I rebuilt him in the app I use. I totally has explorer's pack canonically. I do that then.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:22 am

This time around, Ves will insist on two ropes - one to climb and one tied round the clients (at least). She's happy with Kroshav going first, and will get him to hold the rope that gets tied round the climbers to stop them falling. She'll climb up last to make sure everyone makes it, and to shout advice as they go if it's needed (Help?)

She will give Kroshav her rope from her pack and send him up to tie one to an anchor point and then use the other as the safety rope however he sees it done best.

Her own climb goes fairly smoothly (I assume):
Athletics: 1d20+3 = [14] = 17

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:48 am

Joe makes a harness out of rooe and ties it to the end of the other rope.

Joe will hold onto the floating stick as she's hauled up. That way if they drop her then hopefully it won't hurt as much.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:49 am

((Ves can go ahead and climb second last if she wants, but nobody is sticking around until after Lurn. Guidance is a small benefit, but having a person at the bottom who can heal just in case is extremely important.))
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:13 am

Kroshav will help by hauling people up by the rope tied to them then. ((Roll for me if needed, Ath is +7.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:31 am

Athletics plus guidance 1d20+3+1d4 = [13] = 19

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:18 am

After some planning a very safe system is put together that puts a large portion of the work on Kroshav who helps pull everyone up. In short order everyone is on the ravine wall looking out over the ravine. Behind them is the same hilly terrain as before but it is definitely smoother and more wooded than it was the day before when they entered the ravine.

Ves picks a direction and heads off, everyone following. Jolly has been since the previous evening and generally seems distracted as his eyes wander to their destination (or at least where he thinks it is).

((Survival roll from Ves. @Burns what is Joe doing with the stick once she is up?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:32 am

Kroshav coils up his rope and Ves's, handing hers back.

"Well, up went more smoothly than down!"

As they walk, he'll keep towards the back, but make a bit of effort to engage Jolly in conversation. "You have an idea what we'll find when we get where ever it is we're going? I'm a bit foggy on the details, but you folks seemed decent enough, and were headed towards adventure in the wilds. It's been pretty fun so far, don't you think?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:33 am

(How big is the stick? Can it fit in her bag? How is it shaped?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:20 am

(("an arm length wooden stick about the width of a finger"- It is straight. You are less than a yard tall so I am guessing your bag is smaller than you are. It can fit but will stick out the top, probably quite a lot.))

Jolly startles and looks over to Kroshav.

"Fun? Guess if ya like nearly dying a few times."

He looks back to the north,

"Not entirely sure what we'll find when we get there. Ruins. Maybe something I need in them, maybe not."

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:48 am

Once the map is explained to him, he says, "The goblins seemed decent enough, but I know if I lived in the woods and gave out a map to my territory, I would not list my home or camp. So I'm thinking there camp is probably one of the areas marked 'danger' Probably one of the most scary named ones, what do you think? I would not put too much faith in the legitimacy of that map."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:59 am

Kroshav grins, "Nearly dying makes you glad to be alive!"

"If it's not too much to ask, what is it you're hoping to find?"

Persuasion: 1d20+4 = [12] = 16
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler