Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:17 am

((Goblin? You mean bugbear? So behind the hobs?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:24 am

Kroshav grits his teeth... if it's to be fighting, best get about it before whoever Lurn is talking about gets into position. But for now, he waits for Ves's word.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 am

((Can I get everyone's location in relation to the fire/treeline? The woods surround the small clearing. From the fire is the treeline is 20ft from the north, 30ft from the east, 15ft some the south and 20ft from the west.

The three hobs are at the tree line to the east.))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:40 am

Jaq moved to the trees away (opposite) from the first noises they heard running their way earlier he will be hiding 5 or ten feet out of the clearing

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:02 am

Kroshav has the fire to his back, positioning himself to be the big, obvious guy... so 25 ft West of hobos.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:14 am

Ves is next to Kroshav.

To Lurn she says:
"Oh I know. I just prefer to keep things friendly where I can. No point in unnecessarily risking you folk after all."

Insight on the hobgoblin:
1d20+5 = [2] = 7

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:03 pm

The hobgoblin seems more than happy to just let Lurn talk and offers no commentary beyond a toothy smile. At Ruby's yell level with and slightly to the north and south of them (depending on where Joe is at) turns his head slightly and listens, forehead scrunching up slightly in mild confusion he says in goblin,
► Show Spoiler
The one that pointed out where everyone but Jaq was hiding shakes his head but half turns to peer into the darkening woods. The leader says quietly,
► Show Spoiler
The attentive hobgoblin moves cautiously towards where the sound came from, trying to keep an eye on the rest of the party, and calls back,
► Show Spoiler
The boss hobgoblin just looks irritated as he swings his full attention back to Ves.

"Last chance to keep things friendly. Toss your weapons away from you and lay flat on the ground."

Ves gets a strong feeling that this is, in fact, the last chance to keep things 'friendly'.

Map!

((Lurn and Joe can update their positions, I just guessed. The sounds from the south and west in the woods are coming a short ways from where I have Joe in the map.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:53 pm

Ves tells the others what the hobgoblin says, and that she does not intend to comply. At least not in full. She lays her staff down next to her pack.

"No. Tell me what you want paid to keep things civil, but you won't be going through our stuff at your leisure. We are more than a match for your group. Don't be stupid."

She's not trying to be particularly intimidating, just stating what she sees as a true statement of fact.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:01 pm

Boss hob gives everyone he can see an appraising look and says with more than a bit of amused derision at Ves' claim,

"We're going to take your weapons and all of your gear. Anything else of value as well. We're satisfied after that and you can keep walking north for whatever death finds you. Resist and you all die here. You can keep your stick if it makes the decision easier for you."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:40 pm

((Was that in Common?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:49 pm

Lurn just laughs when the hobgoblin says resisting would result in all of them dying.

Actually, while I'm at it, I'd like to check for where all the flankers are.
1d20+7 = [5] = 12
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:03 pm

Ves laughs.

In goblin: "Well that makes things nice and easy!"
In common: "We're fighting!"

She flicks her staff back into her hands and cracks it squarely across the bugbear-leader's face.

Not sure if she gets a surprise-round attack, but either way her initiative is:
1d20+2 = [5] = 7

When her turn comes around, she'll attack the leader two-handed, and spend a Ki point on patient defence (bonus action)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:16 pm

Initiative: 1d20 = [8] = 8 ((Kroshav had lowered his javelin, so wasn't really holding an action to use to attack.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:24 pm

Joe is still nearby the bush. She wants to have Ruby fly off before the hobbos reach him, but if not that's fine. She'll have him fly off further (out of sight of the hobbo) before he yells again, repeating what the bugbear said in the bugbears voice. She then dismisses Ruby.

"Wait what. Ye guys be bandits!"

inititive [1d20+3] = 19+3 = 22

(Sorry! If I'm holding it up, Joe will firebolt one without a shield.)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:03 pm

Initiative: 1d20+1 = [7] = 8
Don't suppose I can call on my prepared Toll The Dead?

Shoot, I'd forgotten to give where I was. But yeah, Lurn's in exactly the right place.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:22 am

Lurn does a quick listen in the woods around him but only hears whoever is stomping around to the south of the clearing.

Ves flicks the staff into her hands and the fight is on as Joe fires a bolt at Rosco. (Attack roll from Joe please)

Enos the shield-less hob moves right after the bolt of fire is released to the square NE of Ves and takes a swing but Ves is ready for him and simply leans out of the way.

Enos attack: 1d20+3 = [6] = 9

Boss hob moves south 10 feet before charging forward and hacking down at the slower moving dragonborn. Kroshav moves to get his shield up but isn’t quite quick enough as the long sword strikes home and tears through chain links and scale alike.

Boss hob attack: 1d20+3 = [15] = 18
Boss hob damage: 1d8+1 = [8] = 9

A hob pops up out of the trees behind Jolly and catches him completely unaware. He yelps and spins as the blade slices his back.

Sneaky hob attack: 2d20+3 = [18, 1] = 21
Sneaky hob attack damage: 1d6+1 = [2] = 3

Order:

Joe (22)
Enos (17)
Boss hob (12)
Sneaky north hob (10)
Jaq (8) <----
Lurn (8)
Kroshav (8) (-9 hp)
Rosco (8)
Jolly (8) (-3 hp)
Ves (7)
South ‘hidden’ hob (2)

(You can roll the Toll Dlover, you said you were holding it. Updated map later.

Rolled initiative for Jaq: 1d20+4 = [4] = 8

Honestly half the fighters got an 8...))

Map!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:32 am

((When it comes to him...))

Kroshav draws his war pick and slams it down on the shield carrying hobo.

"FOR THE FIST!"

As the war pick hits, Kroshav unleashes holy power to blast the hobgob with a flare of golden radiant energy.

Attack: 1d20+7 = [13] = 20
Piercing Damage: 1d8+7 = [8] = 15

Divine Smite Radiant Damage: 2d8 = [7, 5] = 12

((Unless boss hob looks really rough to where Kroshav would save Divine Smite for someone else...?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:40 am

((Well dang. Nah, pending Dlover's Toll he is still up so the smite was well placed.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:20 am

Assuming the boss hob isn't injured, Toll The Dead: 1d8 = [7] = 7

When Lurn's turn rolls around, if the boss hob is up he'll cast Toll The Dead on him again.
1d12 = [4] = 4

If that one's down he'll turn to the one attacking Jolly and simply reaches out to touch it. Should he make contact (Which seems remarkably unlikely with a 10), wounds and sores will appear throughout the enemy's body.
Inflict Wounds AC, damage 1d20+2+5 = [3] = 10
3d10+5 = [6, 5, 2] = 18

(Wait, shoot, I'm not meant to add my Wisdom modifier to the spell damage, am I? -5 from that, then, 13. Well, not that it's going to connect, I imagine.)

Regardless of which course of action he takes, the firbolg mutters a word and gestures at Kroshav, invoking his Healing Word.
Healing Word: 1d4+5 = [3] = 8

((Typical that when I make an attack roll I get an awful roll. Should just stick to Toll The Dead and its nice, consistent, near impossible save. Even if it is only 1d8 damage instead of a whopping 3d10.))
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:33 am

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:36 am

Jaq will move south 10 feet and east 10 feetthen let an arrow fly at the goblin leader. After the attack he will move back west ten feet and try to hide again (cunning action).

Longbow attack 1d20+7 = [5] = 12
Advantage from hiding 1d20+7 = [11] = 18
Longbow damage plus sneak attack 1d8+5+1d6 = [3] = 13
Stealth 1d20+8 = [5] = 13

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:14 am

Joe's bolt strikes the ground in front of Rosco, the hobgoblin seems undeterred.

Boss hob roars with pain as the bell tolls for him and as Jaq appears just long enough to sink an arrow into the distracted large hobgoblin's side.

Wis save: 1d20 = [12] = 12

Boss hob grunts as another bell tolls and blood begins to leak from his nose.

1d20 = [7] = 7

A brief glow surrounds Kroshav as he feels his wound begin to knit together right before he slams his warpick into the now heavily injured hobgoblin. With a flash of light that burns out his eyes he drops to the ground still.

Rosco sees his boss go down and yells in Goblin,
► Show Spoiler
He switches quickly to his longbow and fires a wild shot at Ves before scrambling back into the woods.

1d20+3 = [6] = 9

For his part Jolly shouts and swings but his swing is easily deflected.

2d20 = [13, 12] = 12

Order:

Joe (22)
Enos (17)
Boss hob (12) (Dead)
Sneaky north hob (10)
Jaq (8)
Lurn (8)
Kroshav (8) (-1 hp)
Rosco (8)
Jolly (8) (-3 hp)
Ves (7) <----
South ‘hidden’ hob (2)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:21 am

As the hobgoblin turns to flee, Ves swings at Enos, and follows up with a kick.

Staff attack: 1d20+5 = [7] = 12 (Got the modifier wrong)
If it hits: 1d8+3 = [3] = 6

Unarmed ATT: 1d20+4 = [9] = 13
If it hits: 1d4+2 = [1] = 3

As they turn to leave she shouts in goblin:
"See that we don't cross paths again!"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:42 pm

Ves flails ineffectually at Enos who for his part mostly looks like he wants to get out of there.

Another hobgoblin comes out of the woods east of Lurn (10 feet) and fires a shot at Ves before disappearing back into the darkening forest.

Attack: 1d20+3 = [19] = 22
Damage: 1d8+1 = [4] = 5

10 feet west of Joe another hobgoblin covered in leaves and braches pops out of the trees, quickly takes in the situation, fires a shot at Kroshav before crashing back into the trees.

Longbow attack:1d20+3 = [18] = 21
Longbow damage: 1d8+1 = [3] = 4

Order:

Joe (22) <----
Enos (17)
Boss hob (12) (Dead)
Sneaky north hob (10)
Jaq (8)
Lurn (8)
Kroshav (8) (-5 hp)
Rosco (8)
Jolly (8) (-3 hp)
Ves (7) (-5 HP)
North super sneaky hob (5)
South ‘hidden’ hob (2)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:42 am

If all of the hobs are fleeing when Lurn's turn rolls around, he'll just shout after them, "I told him he'd only live seconds longer if we were unarmed! Don't assume numbers make up for being goblin kin next time!"

Otherwise, I guess he'll... Depends on which aren't fleeing. If it's the one harassing Jolly, it's the Inflict Wounds attempt from earlier, otherwise Toll The Dead again.
My game:

My characters: