Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:43 pm

Lurn finishes up as most of the squad comes and joins Kroshav, Jolly and him. They seem to have made the spot they are at the 'it' spot for squad Albelm. They are all more or less chummy with their new squad mates but clearly have known each other to some extent for more than a couple days, which makes sense coming from the same village.

Lurn asks around and finds a medium sized tent, nearly the only tent in the camp, that is serving as the infirmary. It looks to be staffed right now by a single surgeon who is absently filling out forms. Poking his head into the tent Lurn spots the two that were sprayed by the fire skunk, both are pressing a clothe covered in something against their eyes. One pulls the clothe off and Lurn can see the bloodshot eyes under and it makes his own water. Deciding they will probably live he returns back to the squad and then to where they were supposed to meet and drill.

Arbelm has everyone drill together for a few hours before splitting them up into a groups explaining,

"Each group will have a lead, lead reports to me. Each group is going to be mixed experience, range. Tomorrow we patrol in our groups. Understood? Jaq you're the best shot. I want you on watch and ready to respond to anything - no group."

Groups:
► Show Spoiler
She then sets you to drilling in your groups with Jaq moving between them.

((Kroshav/Lurn effectively now can direct the actions of those in their group. Jaq is the sniper.

Any special training in your groups? Other actions before bed? Otherwise give me a perception if your character volunteers to take a watch.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:53 pm

Perception: 1D20+7 = [18]+7 = 25

Lurn's not really one to direct training, so he'll just be spending a little while trying to make sure he's familiar with how everyone in his group fights.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm

Jaq agrees happily to his role. He will show each group his ability to do a minor illusion and how he can create a large illusion of a stone or dense bush to hide in and snipe from just So they are not freaked out when/if he does that.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:52 pm

Lurn is shocked and awed by the powers he never knew his friend had.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:01 pm

[he only used it once around him. In the goblin camp. And he might not have noticed]

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:37 pm

(I believe Lurn was still on the other side of the wall when that happened.)
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:18 am

Lurn watches and is actually mildly impressed by how bad Beck and Fand are at fighting. Its apparent they are more of a danger to themselves than anyone else should they be given actual weapons. Indra, on the other hand, fights with precision and grace. Lurn would place her above anyone else in the group for martial skill with a sword, Kroshav included.

The different groups, and Arbelm, watch Jaq's trick with appreciative comments.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:43 am

Rubbing at his chin as he observes his group, then calls them together, "We need to think about what we do as a group if we get into a battle. Seeing what I have, I'd like if you would fight on the frontlines, Indra, to keep any enemies at bay. I'll support you in that role with my healing and, if we're faced with enough of a threat, my own strength. Beck, Fand, while you'll still have to train as normal, for now I'll just be supplying you with stones to throw. Do we have any disagreements on this?"
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:56 am

Both Fand and Beck shake their heads but then Beck raises his hand and says,

"But what if yer upfront and you want us to throw rocks? Don't we gotta be next to you?"

Indra shrugs and flexes her hand used to hold her shield. "Fine."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:17 am

Kroshav puts his group through their paces, focusing on movement while holding weapons at the ready. As it becomes clear who is competent, he'll pair experienced with novice and get them some training weapons so they get a feel for being on both ends of a swing as they go through some sparring exercises.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:24 am

Kroshav's group is a bit more seasoned with only Hep struggling. Dama isn't good with a sword but is skilled enough with a dagger, she clearly prefers her bow though. Celus is more experienced than Jolly and is about on level with Kroshav for skill. Jolly ends up sparring with Dama and generally beating her and Celus is trying to help Hep but doesn't seem to understand much in the way of teaching fighting with a shield.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:27 am

"That's why you're going to keep training yourselves. There are bound to be times when it's simply not possible for me to supply you with stones, like fights in places where there are no stones of a reasonable size, so you have to be able to fight for yourselves."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:32 am

Fand and Beck both pull out fair sized leather bags full of throwing sized rocks and show them to Lurn proudly.

"Maybe ya can just magic'm all up now?"

They don't seem to like the idea of fighting the enemy where they can get cut, go figure.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:08 pm

"Sadly, it can only be three at a time, and it wears off after a minute. I'm impressed by the forward planning, though, we don't have to worry about finding them. So you need a way to fight without me, whether that's a blade or a bow. But if you want to use a bow, you'd better make sure you're good enough to not hit your allies first."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:46 am

"Never been much good with a bow," Fand supplies sadly.

Beck adds,

"Ain't got no bows neither."

The pair put away their stones and half heartedly get beat down by a distracted Indra as they train.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:44 am

Lurn joins the training, trying to encourage the less experienced two to work together. When they come to a break, the large man turns to Indra, "Is something on your mind?"
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:06 am

Indra looks over to Lurn a look of mild confusion on her face.

"Me? Not especially. War, death and killing. Probably on everyone's mind. You got something on yours?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:46 am

Kroshav has Celus drill with Jolly and Dama for a while, while he works with Hep, working on giving him pointers in proper shield use.

After drilling for a bit with melee, he'll provide spot heals for anyone in need, and switch over to some ranged stuff, letting Dama take point on training any who seem to be better suited for bows, while he drills on thrown weapons.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:14 pm

"Not particularly. Death is a familiar concept to me, with my faith. But you seemed somewhat distracted, so I wanted to be sure there were no problems."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:54 am

Hep doesn't improve much but he at least holds the shield correctly. Dama is enthusiastic about showing off the bow but none of the others are terribly interested. Jolly gives a half hearted attempt but the other two don't even try.

Indra responds,

"Nope. Not particular."

After a few hours of drilling Arbelm calls it a night and directs the squad to grab dinner and get to bed. They will be guarding again in the morning. Lurn offers himself up for a watch.
---
Joe and Ves arrive at Timmer shortly after dark. They see the familiar wall around the town and see more guards than last time, but they don't seem to have noticed the pair yet.

((Joe or Ves doing anything special to get in?))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:00 pm

Kroshav is eager for dinner.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:36 pm

Dinner unfortunately appears to be the same as lunch...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:45 pm

He cheerfully chomps on the soaked biscuits and mush.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:04 pm

Kroshav sits alone in his enjoyment of the mush and puck meal. Lurn gets stationed with one of the night patrols and keeps a sharp eye out for his two hour stretch. Corporal Arbelm give the giant an appreciative nod for having volunteered. Indra, Gisper and Hep also get pulled in to different watches on an involuntary basis.

The night passes uneventfully and Jesp has a pot of porridge cooking by the break of dawn. Corporal Arbelm, looking better rested, wakes everyone shortly after and lays out the plan for the day.

"Guarding the wizards again, then we have a patrol into the woods. Looks like we will be marching east as well. We'll see."

After breakfast she sets you to drilling for a couple hours then gives you an hour break before guard duty starts.

((Doing anything?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:04 pm

Kroshav is running through the basics and building from there with the less experienced folks, just like he did with training Jolly up. Differences here is that Celus is basically on his level, and Dama is a skilled archer, so would be making sure to have a bit more rounded training, but wanting Dama to make sure to have some hand to hand experience as well. As long as Celus seems to have the right temperament for it, he may lean on them to help lead parts of the training, but for his own, he's much more of the encouraging coach than drill sergeant.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler