Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:23 am

The officer, a lieutenant, is sitting at the soldier camp having dinner as Kroshav and Lurn approach. His back is towards them but a few others notice and let him know they are coming. The officer rises, a smile on his face, as he walks to greet them but well before he is face to face conversation range his nostrils flare and he looks from the left to the right. The smile fades rapidly and he begins to slow his approach until he stops, eyes fixed on the pair approaching with a look increasing distaste. He waves the pair to a stop and takes a few steps back calling,

"Kroshav? Lurn was it? What is that stench? Did you fall in one of the village's outhouse holes? Is that why you are here?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:48 am

"Got gooshed by a week dead horse, sir. Belonged to a Duchy patrolmen... Alim. Got his saddlebags."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:58 am

Smell forgotten he moves closer,

"What where? Did you find him or... his remains? None of the defenders were ever found."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:28 am

"Just the mount and bags, one of us found a trail that lead to a stream, but didn't cross, guess he went up or downstream. 'Nother trail crossed the stream, something a lot bigger, we thought about checking it out, but figured we ought to report back rather than wandering off at dusk."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:11 am

"The bigger trail was downstream, if you decide to send someone to search. Looks like it was made by something about the size of an ogre, but not the most obvious thing, given it was over a week old."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:34 am

Rodgeir wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:45 pm The dwarf shakes her head,

"Nej, the tavern here serves nothing but watered piss an' aye haven't been friendly with the folks here. Aye told the troopers when they came but there was a number of people watching by the time they showed up."

She is angrily but honestly telling her story as far as Cary can tell.
"Hmm...you didn't notice anyone paying too much attention to you after the incident? And what was your exact activities and timeline on the day of the murder...say from lunch till you went to bed?..And I am looking for the details here..."
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:06 pm

The office chews his lip and looks off in the direction indicated.

"Would one of you be willing to show us where you found this horse and the trails? Seems like they would fit into timeline of the razing of the town. I will need to take a few people of patrol tonight to check this out but if there is any chance we can find someone it will be worth it. Shouldn't be a problem now that we have a few former conscripts helping with the patrols either."

His nose wrinkles again, which reminds him,

"I will take those bags."

He will quickly releaves you of them, looking to be holding his breath as he does so. After stepping way back he says,

"Maybe you two should try to get cleaned up and get something to eat, if you can manage it."
---
She thinks a bit more then shakes her head

"Nah, few more soldiers walking 'round then usual but nothing more than that."

She thinks a bit more than then responds,

"Got a job to work on a specialty bit of work for some folks that run a lumber mill couple towns to the east that are here as refugees. Aye know'm and was heading that way when aye got caught up in this." She waves her hand broadly. "Anyhow they got'm a magical sawing contraption that aye helped design." There is more than a hint of pride in her voice, "Few of the pieces wear out every year or so an aye make'm up beforehand but they told meh a couple of the limbers..."

She starts going on, with increasing exuberance, a very technical and detailed description of a few components of this lumber mill that she worked late on crafting.

((Joe is probably vaguely aware of the lumbermill in Timmer, the town she stayed in after the owlbears.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:48 am

"I'd be willing to show the way, if I can still find it at night."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:11 am

The officer gives a nod,

"Go get a wash up and some food. It will take a while to get a team put together, most people are in the middle of eating."

He turns and moves away, probably more quickly than would be strictly needed, with the bags back to the soldier camp. He starts calling some names as he reaches it.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:10 am

Jaq gladly lets Lurn and Kroshav do the reporting to the officers and he will instead go find what has been made for supper and get away from the bad smell.
If asked, he will assist them in finding the trail again.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:46 am

Lurn turns to Kroshav as the officer moves away, "I wonder if we'd ruin the others' food by showing up... Though I just hope there's soap to be found somewhere."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:55 am

Jaq heads with Jolly and Dama back to camp to find that Celus has made up quite the meal. He's got thick batter ready for some cinnamon spiced stick bread, some thick pan bread, a vegetable stew, sliced honey ham and some apples on sticks next to a sweet smelling bubbling pot.

He smiles broadly as the three come into view,

"Made something special for our first full day out! The other two right behind ya? Dig in!"

He looks very pleased, even Indra looks less serious than normal having apparently been infected by some of her cousin's mood.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:27 am

"We'll have to ask when we get back."

"Celus! What I can smell over the week dead horse that Lurn and I got in a tussle with, that smells great! We'll just stay downwind of you guys for now... anyone have some soap we could wash up with? I'm worried that I'm almost getting used to-- nope, there it is... urk... gah... *spit*..."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:09 am

"They'll be a bit, talking to the soldiers about a dead soldier's horse we found. They'll be here soon, too soon. They reek of rotted horse, even after a bathing in the stream. We'll need to find them some new clothes I think."
"That food smell's amazing, though!" And he does sit right down and begins to eat. "And tastes even better. This was a skill you've been hiding Celus!"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:33 am

Celus laughs at Jaq's comments and compliments,

"They can't be that bad! Ain't no skill, been making this up the first night out for every caravan I've been with. Made this dozens of times and parts of it from time to time to keep it fresh. The apples and sugar is a favorite of mine. Indra's ma's got real talent, still ended up out in the middle of no where making food for an ungrateful daughter!"

Indra glares at him and he just smiles back with a wink.

Celus's grin is bright but waivers as the smell of Kroshav and Lurn hits him. A few muttered curses can be heard from the nearest camps, especially those downwind. Celus moves quickly to his tent and comes out with a thick white hunk of soap. He tosses it to Kroshav and says,

"Maybe I can get ya some fresh clothes too? Ya should maybe wash up again before ya eat?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:41 am

"It'd be welcome, sorry everyone, we'll leave you to your dinner."

Kroshav will head to the stream with Lurn to get the stink washed off. Once they are washed, he'll see what he can do for his clothes, and take care of his other gear.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:45 pm

Celus looks concerned that Kroshav and Lurn aren't going to eat and scoops up some bread and the ham and hurries it over to them and then back away.

"I'll keep it warm for you!"

The pair make their way to a half destroyed well and start the process of getting clean with soap. Everyone gives them the room to do this.

((No stream in this town, but plenty of wells that have been made functional.))

About a quarter hour after the pair leave a trio of soldiers arrive and a half-elf woman asks,

"We are looking for Kroshav and Lurn?"

They are succinctly told the situation by Indra and each is offered a sugared apple by Celus. Jolly has recovered from his nausea and eats with a healthy vigor, describing with hand gestures and popping noises the recovery of the saddle bags and befouling of Lurn and Kroshav. Even the soldiers chuckle at the vivid, slightly exaggerated and deadpan retelling of recent events as Lurn and Kroshav get back.

The female soldier rises and looks at the darkening horizon before asking,

"We already missed the light, would you like to eat before you show us the way?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:53 pm

"Yes please! I can finally breath in without gagging, and I'm hungry!"

Kroshav quickly eats a bowl of stew with bread, taking his apple and spiced bread to go.

"Celus, this is great!"

"Probably ought to grab a torch."
, he'll rummage in his pack and grab one, lighting it from a cookfire.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Jaq readies himself to go along and help show the way.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:35 pm

The soldiers glance at Jaq's unexpected preparations but none comment. They rise as Kroshav does and the half-elf say,

"Whenever you're ready."

Jolly gives a nod and fills his bowl again as he grabs more bread.

"Be safe Kroshav."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:09 pm

Lurn gratefully cleans himself, and relishes the meal Celus has provided. Once he and Kroshav are done, the large man pushes himself upright and casts Light on his shield. "Good to have you with us, Jaq. I dare say you'll have the best chance of finding where we were."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:17 am

After a brief moment of orientation the three soldiers and three party members head back to where they found the trail. It is much easier to find and follow now following the recent passage of a fair number of heavy steps.

A short while later the group find the rotting horse's resting spot.

((All three of you roll me perception please.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:53 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:36 pm

My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:03 am

Both Kroshav and Lurn can see that something has disturbed the horse from where it was dropped. It has been dragged a short distance. Lurn sees what might be bite marks in the flickering torch light.

Neither see nor hear anything nearby beyond the group's members, however.