Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Lurn will move southward, as ordered.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:07 am

Jaq sends a shot into an adjacent tree trunk, the targeted hobgoblin escaping unharmed and unaware. Arbelm and Lurn head south to the bend in the hob trail, passing Kroshav and joining Dama who readies her bow as she moves with them. The tiefling scans the trees for movement and listens as the sounds of something large crashing through the forest, roars and shouting grow louder. She tilts her ear to the side and looks at Arbelm.

"You hear that? Like a whistle?"

Arbelm shrugs and says,

"We don't know what is coming but, we want them to come this way. Which means we don't all need to stand out in the open if we don't want to."

The only remaining hob dashes another 60 feet to the east and Jaq is only just able to catch glimpses of him through the trees (120 ft away now).

Celus moves out of sight to the northwest.

Initiative:
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9<---
Jaq 8
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5

((I will get a new map up today. Arbelm and Dama heard well enough to indicate you have about four rounds to prepare/position yourselves.))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:05 am

Jaq can see glimpses of that fleeing hobgoblin through the trees and he squints and takes one last shot hoping in his skill.

Longbow attack from afar: 1D20+8 = [11]+8 = 19

Arrow damage just in case it hits with all this cover.: 1D8+6+2D6 = [7]+6+[3, 6] = 22

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Nov 18, 2019 3:28 pm

Jaq pulls back the string to just by his mouth and sights the hobgoblin while releasing smoothly. The arrow would have struck true except a branch deflecting it to the side a few feet from the scrambling hob. Calling it quits Jaq sighs and returns to where the others are preparing themselves. Lurn has collected eight rocks of throwing size and Dama has positioned herself back from the others and waves Jaq back to her.

The source of roaring, now clearly coming from two separate throats, seems to be only just out of sight based on the crashing sounds accompanying it. From time to time a whistle blast is audible as well, two short blasts. There also sounds to be a number of hobs coming if the shouts are any indication.

Arbelm takes a spot near Kroshav at the front, are at least further up than the others, and says quietly,

"Even if we can't stop them maybe we can slow them enough for Celus to meet up with the rest of the team. They can't be more than twenty minutes, maybe thirty, behind us. I fall I want you to take whatever's left back."

((Anything else from anyone? Otherwise I WILL get a map up tomorrow and this can begin.))
----
Joe and Ves give the guards on the walls of Timmer a nod on their way out of town heading west. Hopefully by the end of the day they'll have found Ves' old friend.

((Perception rolls please.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:33 pm

Jaq will be hiding himself off the main path 20 feet so he can snipe.

stealth at disadvantage/exhaustion: 2D20.LOW(1)+9 = [20, 2]+9 = 11

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:01 pm

((Lost count a bit, so will need to restock, but should have a javelin or two remaining, held action to toss it at the first hob (or whatever) to get within range.))

Kroshav nods grimly.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:46 pm

Nothing else from Lurn.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:31 am

The sound of breaking trees indicates that whatever is coming isn't taking the easy route followed by the hobs and as everyone holds their breath those in the front catch sight of something big moving through the trees. Kroshav and Arbelm watch as an ogre with a huge crossbow bolted to its arm crashes out of the forest more or less on the path the hobs were taking. Surprisingly enough it doesn't stop running and continues on to the west and out of sight. A second ogre emerges from the trees further south and, unlike his companion, looks from side to side as his smells blood. Spotting Kroshav and Arblem he roars and charges south to snarl at them and bellow something,

Lurn
► Show Spoiler
Kroshav throws a javelin to the ogre's meaty shoulder, the ogre appears unaware of it however. The whistling in the forest to the east intensifies and the shield ogre cocks his head in the direction of the whistle but doesn't react otherwise. Arbelm and Kroshav can see someone moving in the woods following the path the ogre took, they look to be hobgoblin.

Dama fires immediately but the ogre's huge shield deflects the arrow, though the ogre himself seems to be completely unaware he did so.

Initiative:
Crossbow ogre
Group 2
Shield ogre (-6 HP)
New hobs
Dama
Kroshav <---
Jaq
Arbelm
Lurn

((Go ahead and give me that readied attack with the javelin Spider.
@NSF the ogre is getting half cover from Kroshav, Arblem and a tree.))

Map (as I understood where you wanted to be):
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:06 am

((Man I hope that "New Hobs" roll isn't the number that we're up against, or this is gonna get rough XD))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:22 am

((Nah, just their initiative. There are way more than 11 >:D . I will actually get rid of the extra number, its is just confusing at this point.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:00 am

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:45 am

((As you never actually left combat I was assuming it was a held action and you released as soon as the ogre entered range rather than waiting for it to get up in your snout. Which means you still have your turn. Edited above for the hit.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:02 am

((Ah, yep, missed it was my turn!))

Motivated to drop the ogre before its friends show, Kroshav carves into the beast.

Longsword: 1D20+7 = [14]+7 = 21
1D8+7 = [8]+7 = 15
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:17 am

The ogre notices the big shiny guy slice him open real good, but doesn't seem all that off-put by the gash poring blood to the forest floor. He does give another roar to emphasize his displeasure though.

Initiative:
Crossbow ogre
Group 2
Shield ogre (-21 HP)
New hobs
Dama
Kroshav
Jaq <---
Arbelm
Lurn

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:04 am

Per [1d20] = 4

...I am wondering if I should make a characer that would be in the war, since thinks is barely here and updates for us is slower.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:09 am

Perception: 1D20+3 = [6]+3 = 9

((Sorry for disappearing - I've had some RL stuff going on this past two weeks))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:12 am

((Well chronologically everyone is pretty close now but not much happened in Timmer. Did you want to check out that map from the Fancy Bandit or just trucking on? This is the stretch you met the owlbears last time FYI.

No worries Thinks.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:16 am

((I had forgotten all about the Fancy Bandit! Yeah, what map did he have again?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:26 am

((It was unclear what was at the end of the map but Joe looked at it and noted a few of its land marks but at the time it was too far away. She would have been able to determine the spot indicated was only a half hour to hour off the main road.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 am

Jaq isn't about to shoot through and possibly into his allies, so he moves east as far as he has to to get a shot that doesn't have the chance of hitting one of his friends. He will using cunning action for the extra movement if needed.

Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [18]+8 = 26

arrow damage with sneak attack: 1D8+6+2D6 = [4]+6+[6, 6] = 22

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:22 pm

Ves will ask Joe if she fancies a brief detour via the Fancy Bandit camp. Shes not sure it's a particularly good idea

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:49 pm

Jaq moves to where he thinks he can get the clearest shot (11 squares east) before sending an arrow into, then through, the chest of the ogre who yelps. His beady eyes lock on Jaq and he calls out,

Lurn
► Show Spoiler
Arbelm timing her attack just right manages to land a thin sliced across the ogre's leg.

Arbelm attacking with adv: 2D20.HIGH(1)+6 = [4, 8]+6 = 14
1D8+4 = [1]+4 = 5

Initiative:
Crossbow ogre
Group 2
Shield ogre (-48 HP)
New hobs
Dama
Kroshav
Jaq
Arbelm
Lurn<---
---
Joe and Ves move steadily along, not really noticing much as the go. The day seems nice enough, the birds are singing. Ves notices the spot where they left sign about the owlbears, mostly because the sign is still there. It causes her to recall the previous owner of her boots and ask Joe about the map they'd gotten off him.

Heading a bit into the woods would have them potentially arriving later in the evening but the time in the woods would be bright enough.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:23 pm

((Crossbow kept heading west? Is he heading in the general direction of Celus?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:31 pm

((Celus was heading northwest and Crossbow was heading due west when Kroshav saw them.

Oh and a map:
► Show Spoiler
))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Lurn enchants three of his stones and throws one at the shield ogre. In giant, he shouts at it, "You serve weakling hobgoblins, like weak hunting dog? Pathetic!"

Magic Stone: 1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14
1D6+5 = [3]+5 = 8
My game:

My characters: