Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:22 pm

Alright, who all went down? Just Jolly and Gisper? And to confirm, since it matters more now, we set diagonal movement as being 5/10/5/10 etc, right? I've been running by that until now, but it's more important now. Can't get into healing range for both of them this- Actually can I even use two Bonus actions in a turn by consuming a regular action as well? I can technically Healing Word and Spare the Dying in one turn with only one spell slot used, but I'm not sure on the action economy. Ah well, I don't think I can get close enough with a single move anyway.

So, post: Seeing the blast, Lurn gives a yell and charges forward at full sprint, quickly taking in the damage, identifying the worst-off, and giving a word of prayer for Gisper's wellbeing, hoping he's still alive enough for the healing to reach. He does worry for Jolly, but if the portly man is still alive after the blast then he'll last a few seconds; Gisper may not. "Finish that damned mage quickly! I won't have another blast like that going off while I treat them!"

Without the fluff; just get as close as possible, with a Sprint if necessary to get within 30', and then so long as the sprint gets within 60' (It should I think) Healing Word on Gisper. Since he's still burning, it's more urgent.
((If I'm wrong about movement and a single move can somehow get within 30' of the two downed, I'd want to use Spare The Dying on Jolly, too.))

No roll; since Gisper is downed, he automatically receives full healing for 9hp. Presuming he's still alive.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:45 pm

((No, can't use two bonus actions. You only get one. However, as you noted, it's a bit different for you as a grave cleric.

"In addition, you learn the spare the dying cantrip, which doesn’t count against the number of cleric cantrips you know. For you, it has a range of 30 feet, and you can cast it as a bonus action."

Since it is normally an action to cast the cantrip, you have the ability, if you choose, to cast it as a bonus action. So should be able, if you wish, to chose to cast Spare the Dying as an action and bonus action in the same turn.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:17 pm

((Okay, good information to have. I would have intuitively thought an Action could be used as a Bonus Action, but having them kept separate makes its own sense for action economy. Having that wording pointed out too helps, so thanks for the info, Spider.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:02 pm

You guys had better not have killed Jolly already!!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:16 pm

((I hope not!))

((Also, here's my concentration check for bless. Just barely. Jolly also has +1d4 to his saves, but it wouldn't have improved his 5.))

Concentration: 1D20+2+1D4 = [4]+2+[4] = 10
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:27 pm

Lurn dashes forwards and casts a spell on the still burning dwarf...and sees no change in the prone figure.

Initiative:
Arbelm
Group 1
Wizards
Lurn and co
Group 3
Kroshav and co <----
Jaq
Jesp and co
Group 2
Soldiers

((@Dlover, A single move wouldn't have been able to get in Lurn within 60'. Is anyone else in your group doing anything?
@Kroshav, Thanks for the answers, as usual. Both Celus and Jolly had Blessing but due to space constraints in Coyote I figured I would see if it'd matter for them first and save myself a roll. As it turned out it didn't.))
-----
((@Thinks and Burns, anything from Joe or Ves? Otherwise do you want to just go to bed?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:39 am

((Didn't think it would. And right, keep forgetting there are multiple characters to worry about. Just have them move up too, since they won't be in range to do anything.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:42 am

((You were close-ish with being able to reach Jolly but not quite. Indra can reach the north-most hob and the caster hob if she dashes. I put her north of the north-most hob. That good for you?

Also Lurn now knows Gisper is deceased, if that wasn't clear.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:33 am

((Yeah, it was clear; If casting healing on a person doesn't get them up right away then they're dead as dead is. And considering he'd be screaming for the flames if he were conscious, there can't be any doubting it.

Anyway, if Indra could flank the caster and make things easier for Kroshav, then that's idea- Actually, being in melee with a caster means they can't cast spells that don't target you without triggering AOO right? Definitely a good idea so long as it isn't getting her flanked by the other hob.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:03 am

((Indra doesn't have enough movement to get around Celus and then behind the caster. The caster will still be able to cast attack spells without AoO but will have disadvantage on the attack roll, regardless of who is targeted.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:14 am

( (Nope, only thing that triggers OppAtt on its own is a creature moving out of an enemies reach. If she'd tried to target anyone with that spell, she'd have had Disadvantage due to proximity of enemies. Can't recall if flanking provides any bonus for us or not under Rodgier's rulings.))

((The most recent map has a lot of fire on it, Kroshav can see Jolly's down, but it'd be taking two OppAtt to get to him this turn? All this talk of healing, and I forgot that KROSHAV doesn't have healing word, and needs to get up close to do anything.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:29 am

((Flanking provides a flat -2 to AC (instead of advantage), regardless the number of flankers. Having Indra beside Kroshav wouldn't provide flanking as she isn't in the flanking zone.

Flanking rule I roll by from the DM guide, edited to give the minus AC instead of advantage:
► Show Spoiler
It would take two AoOs for Kroshav to get to Jolly. However since your turn runs at the same time as Celus and Dama's you can have them act first and potentially reduce that?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:43 am

((Sure, Dama on the one to the north, Celus the Blessed on the caster, dropping her to a stable 0 HP if possible. If he can get into flanking with Kroshav versus the caster first, he'll do it.))

Kroshav lets his squad mates attack, then moves to Jolly's side, placing a hand on his belly.

"Don't think Lurn's god is ready for you yet, friend."

Dropping 10 points from Lay on Hands into him.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:19 am

Dama looses an arrow but misses the north-most hobgoblin but Celus, moving behind the caster, lands two rather weak blows. The caster looks to be on her last legs.
As Kroshav moves to help Jolly both hobs he moves away from take a swipe at him but neither land a blow.
Jolly looks bad with burns covering his entire left side but as Kroshav places his hands on Jolly he notices the man take a shuddering breath. As the power of the Fist flows into Jolly his burns fade and he opens his eyes with a start and he scrambles for his sword.

Initiative:
Arbelm
Group 1
Wizards
Lurn and co
Group 3
Kroshav and co
Jaq <----
Jesp and co
Group 2
Soldiers

Map:
► Show Spoiler
((Not sure if Jolly would get an attack this turn? I am tending to yes as everyone has a shared initiative in Kroshav's team. Any arguments for/against?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:27 am

((Your call, but if the order within the squad is kind of loose and fluid, which it seems to be, I'd trend towards yes too.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:40 am

Jolly rolls onto his feet once he has found his short sword. Blinking in confusion at the burning scene around him his focus falls on the caster hob, who has turned to follow Kroshav. Roaring, Jolly lashes out and strikes the caster powerfully in the side of head, swinging the broad side of the sword rather than the sharp. The hob's eye roll into the back of her head as she collapses in a heap.
((Figured you wanted her alive? She is now unconscious. Two hobs left alive and awake, one injured.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:09 am

((Yep!))

Kroshav gives Jolly an encouraging grin.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:22 am

Jaq is more worried about the other hobs that he cannot see than he is the ones fighting the rest of the army right now. If they turn around and the caster has a good spell, that could be bad. So he continues to move south looking for any hobs hiding in the woods.
He will use his 30 feet of movement first, then his cunning action movement if he doesn't see an enemy yet, and finally use dash for more movement south if he doesn't see any hobs in the forest.

If he finds any early enough that he still has an action for attack, he will attack.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:41 am

Joe will want to go to bed.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:24 am

Jolly has a confused, wild look in his eye and mumbles as he absently rubs a sheet of blacked skin off his cheek onto a shoulder,

"That...that was much worse... than the sword in the gut."

Jaq moves as far south as he can but doesn't catch sight of any hobs.

((Perception check please))

Jesp moves up and angrily swings at the south hob and lands a solid, crunching blow but not enough to end him. The two archers I Jesp's group also attempt to drop the same hob but miss.
The two remaining hobs glance at the fallen caster and say something quickly to each. One nods and gives a small gesture to his remaining companion before both begin hacking into the prone form of the caster.

Arbelm shouts as she approaches,

"No! Restrain them!"

Initiative:
Arbelm
Wizards
Lurn and co<----
Group 3
Kroshav and co
Jaq
Jesp and co
Group 2
Soldiers

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:32 am

Kroshav swipes at one of the hobs.

Reaction attack: 1D20+1D4+7 = [6]+[4]+7 = 17
1D8+7 = [7]+7 = 14

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:51 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:03 am

The hob manages to block Kroshav with his shield as he continues determinedly about his bloody business.

Jaq can hear some shouting in common from the south and thinks he hears something fairly distantly to the east moving away (more than 150ft).

((Smart use of sentinel, I'd forgotten you had taken that feat!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:10 am

((If only I rolled decently!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:12 pm

Joe eats her meal, noting that after the initial whispers from the elf he has remained quiet, occasionally glaring at Joe and Ves. The others spend the time discussing the potential impacts of having so many away on the town's economy and the potential future of the area.

Nezza notices Joe has finished and says,

"Take one of the rooms, isn't likely I'd be able to rent them out tonight anyways. You know the way or would you like me to come up with you?"