Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 22, 2019 4:04 am

"Best back up there Ves, just in case.
Let's meet up with the others."

((What weaponry/armor did the guard have?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 4:10 am

((It had a large shield for its size, a short sword and what appears to be some dark chainmail.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 22, 2019 4:17 am

If it just looks rusty crusty, he'll leave it and hold action to dash with Ves if she backs off from the pool.

If it looks 'good', he'll snag the sword so it can't use it if it reforms.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 22, 2019 4:27 am

Ves looks back to Kroshav and nods.

"Looks really deep. Don't see where that thing went..."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 4:32 am

((All of the guard's equipment looks to be in significantly better shape than the other skeletons' things. Dusty but somewhat cared for.

So, is Ves going to move or just dodge?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 22, 2019 6:03 am

She'll Dodge. Kroshav didn't speak till after her turn so she's OOC committed :)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed May 22, 2019 6:48 am

Kroshav will grab the sword and move a bit away from the bones, ready to move when Ves does.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 8:31 am

Jolly moves into the ruins and asks,

"What is goin' on? Why'd the skeletons all-"

Jolly cuts off his question and takes a step back pointing past Ves, who had just looked back to speak with Kroshav. Ves turns in time to see a giant skeletal hand emerge from the pool and grab at her. Twisting backwards she is able to just barely escape its grasp. Within seconds the rest of the upper body of a massive skeleton pulls itself free from the pool, quickly followed its legs. As it fully emerges it brings down a huge club on Ves.

Skel giant attack 1: 2d20 = [14, 7] + 6 = 13
Skel giant attack 2: 2d20 = [17, 17] = 23
Skel giant attack 2: 2d8+4 = [6, 6] = 16

Kroshav watches it all happen with some shock but notices that some bones on the skeleton were already cracked when it emerged.

Init:

Ves (14 hp)
Kroshav (25 hp)
Jolly
Jaq (13 hp) <------
Lurn (21 hp)
Joe (7 hp)

((Joe can't see into the ruins from where she is standing for her readied attack. Ves going to use a luck point or anything? The skeleton is essentially straddling the pool now.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 am

((yeah she'll use a luck point on that att roll and hope for lower than a 17 please!))

Edit: rolled and nope.
1d20 = [14] = 14

Edit 2: PS if any of that damage is necrotic (or radiant), Ves is resistant to it.
Last edited by thinkslogically on Wed May 22, 2019 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed May 22, 2019 9:17 am

Jaq will dash north into the structure. He will then see he is not far enough to be helpful so will use cunning action to dash again. He will end up 35 feet west of Kroshav and 5 north so he is behind the wall from the giant skeleton.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 9:41 am

((Just good old fashioned bludgeoning unfortunately.))

Jaq runs into the ruins and positions himself to have cover until he can get a clear shot.

Init:

Ves (14 hp)
Kroshav (25 hp)
Jolly
Giant skeleton
Jaq (13 hp)
Lurn (21 hp)<------
Joe (7 hp)

((I will get a map later tonight.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed May 22, 2019 11:28 pm

"Ooh, that's a big one. Let's see how fine a powder we can make." Raising one hand above his head, Lurn spreads his fingers wide, palm facing the skies as his eyes lock to the skeleton's, his speech taking on a rhythmic pattern as he falls into a chant, slowly moving around as he carries out his chanting, eyes remaining locked to the enemy, "By the name of He who I serve, The Judge of the Damned, The Lord of the Dead, The Master of the Crystal Spire, The Great Guide; By the name of Kelemvor, I call for the end to your being, and deny you. In the name of my Master, I deny you. Your ilk shall be refused the right to exist, to disrupt the balance. May He guide you safely into His embrace."

Casting Bane on the giant skeleton, and moving to be within 30 feet of it, but no closer.

((And no, I'm not going to do that often, but it feels right to have a proper chant when Lurn's going about fulfilling one of his actual duties. :P
Big +6 to accuracy, so -1d4 from Bane probably won't be a huge difference, but I feel like if fighting one (or up to three) big enemies isn't the time to use the spell, when is?
I'm also going to be *so* disappointed if a giant skeleton has any level of charisma to not fail a 15DC Charisma Save with anything less than a nat 20.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed May 22, 2019 11:54 pm

The giant skeleton looks up from Ves and towards Lurn as the furbolg condemns its existence. Disconcertingly all the skulls on the ground respond along with giant skull,

"And in the name of the Lord of the Undead you will soon serve... as shall all in the end."

For all that its movements seem a bit stiffer.

Charisma save: 1d20-3 = [12] = 9

Init:

Ves (14 hp)
Kroshav (25 hp)
Jolly
Giant skeleton
Jaq (13 hp)
Lurn (21 hp)
Joe (7 hp) <------

((@Dlover, To do this I had to adjust Lurn's starting spot. You specified that he was going to the main hall last turn but didn't specify where exactly so I just put him at the SE most pillar, from which he would not have been able to close the distance to cast bane. Lurn had sufficient movement using his dash to reach the bottom of the NE pillar last turn so I shifted him there as he was presumably backing the other two up? If in your heart of hearts know that Lurn wouldn't have been there let me know and you can change your action.

@Burns Joe is at the very bottom of the map and moving her full 25 ft would put her just in sight of the skeleton if that is what she wants. She would be 90 ft from it, Ves doesn't provide it any cover.

@NSF I couldn't quite get Jaq to where you specified, it was one square too many. Where he is at now services the same purpose though, he is out of the skeleton's sight.

@Spider, Kroshav positioned about right? Moved away from the bones but still close enough to support Ves.))

Map!

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 23, 2019 12:57 am

((Considering Joe was safe and, to his knowledge, Jaq and Ves were facing off with the Big Boss, potentially the necromancer controlling all the skeletons, getting back to them was definitely his top priority. Didn't have any actions prepared, either.))

"Your lord of undeath is nothing but an infant to be handled as the Lord of the Dead wishes. After all, your pathetic excuse for a god is only an inferior form derived from the truth of mine, and he continues to be only because Kelemvor has no need to hurry in the undoing of undead. Undeath may raise some corpses for a time, but even that does not keep them long from my Lord's grasp. Know the truth of this world; The true lord of all is Death, and your lord can oppose him no more than medicine or magic. Come, I shall prove this by sundering your soul and delivering you unto Him."

((In layman's terms: "Your god sucks, come at me bro."

And yes, I am absolutely going to spend this entire fight taunting the skeleton that can probably two-shot me. It's existence is an insult.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 23, 2019 1:36 am

Lurn takes a deep breath before speaking so quickly, finishing in under 6 seconds, that no one understands what he says. The giant skeleton seems to get the gist of it though. :lol:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 23, 2019 1:53 am

:lol: ((Honestly I forgot there's a time limit on speaking, but since I'm not strategising or anything and just trashtalking it's fiiiiiiine.))
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 23, 2019 1:57 am

((how tall is this skeleton thing?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 23, 2019 2:25 am

((About 3.5-4 meters, so around 10-12 feet tall.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 23, 2019 2:44 am

((cool. And it's fully out of the pool now and standing across it, or is it like half in, half out?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 23, 2019 2:52 am

((It is out fully out of the pool now, standing on its lip. Pool's unblemished surface has returned.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu May 23, 2019 3:09 am

((ok that pool is weird, but way out of Ves's league to understand :) she'll wait to see what Joe does for now))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 23, 2019 3:52 am

((Positioning for Kroshav is fine.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 23, 2019 6:10 am

In addition to his unbelievable speed in taunting, Lurn calls out one audible statement; "Crushing blows tend to be best against skeletons! Smash the thing!"
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 23, 2019 6:25 am

"Ummmm... if you say so."

Kroshav drops his war pick and rummages around, hand grasping on the hammer he's used to smash metal for years, and strides forward to test the skeleton's patellar reflex.

Attack: 1d20+7 = [13] = 20
Damage: 1d4+7 = [3] = 10
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 23, 2019 6:30 am

((WAY beyond Kroshav's intelligence level. I would expect knee kick reaction thing from him :D instead. And honestly do you want it to kick Kroshav too?))