Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:57 pm

Jaq moves to the west and fires a shot at the same target as Dama (rear guard, longbow wielder) and expertly drops him.

Arbelm moves just north of Celus and strikes out with a precisely aimed stab at the hob in front of her's chest. The hob has time to twist away before slumping to the ground.

Initiative:
Group 3 19
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9
Jaq 8
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5<---

((Arbelm dropped the hob NE of Celus. Only the hob Kroshav engaged is injured, the others are dead or unconscious. Only six hobs are left standing.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:55 pm

Let's give Toll The Dead one more attempt, on the one Kroshav injured;

Toll The Dead (Injured): 1D12 = [7] = 7

((I'm thinking the hobs may have a bit much wisdom for TTD to be particularly effective, though their Dex may be just as good for Sacred Flame... But that's what Magic Stone is for; a cantrip that doesn't have a save. I just need to actually get a pouch of stones like those two NPC that are clearly smarter than me have done. XD))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:16 pm

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 am

The longbow wielding hobgoblin that got a face full of dragonborn is far to busy to hear any bells tolling. She starts yelling for all she is worth to the east, no one in your group seems to understand it, and there is an answering yell. And then another and then something that sounds very much like a roar. The longbow hob attempts disengage from Kroshav and move north.

(AoO if you want to take it Spider, Sentinel!)
One hobs from group 2 move to face Kroshav and one moves south to attack Celus, both miss. The one attacking Celus is quickly cut down by the half elf's long sword in return. Group 1 moves up and surrounds Celus and rain blows him. He is able to block one attack but the other two break though his defenses and leave deep wounds. Celus doesn't look like he has much left to give.

Dama looses an arrow that slides off armor of the back of one of the hobs attacking Celus.

Another roar sounds from the east.

Initiative:
Group 3 19
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9 <---
Jaq 8
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5

((Map and rolls spoiler coming soon.

The hobs don't have good wisdom (+0/+1), they just have nailed all the rolls these past couple of fights.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:02 am

Kroshav swipes at the long bow hob before turning his blade on the next one, moving and engaging those on Celus if possible.

Sentinel: 1D20+7 = [4]+7 = 11
1D8+7 = [6]+7 = 13

Whoever's next: 1D20+7 = [8]+7 = 15
1D8+7 = [3]+7 = 10
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:20 am

Kroshav misses the fleeing longbow hob and turns to face the shield and sword bearing hob that moved to attack him. The hob manages to interpose her shield and Kroshav's sword bounces away with a ringing clang.

Initiative:
Group 3 19
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9
Jaq 8 <---
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:06 am

Nature check with exhaustion: 2D20.LOW(1)+5 = [20, 3]+5 = 8

When Jaq hears the roars, he tries to determine what creature he might be hearing.

He steps back out into the open trail and lets an arrow fly at one of the hobs surrounding Celus. He will move up a bit if he needs to, to get a decent shot lined up.
Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [12]+8 = 20

Arrow damage and sneak damage: 1D8+6+2D6 = [7]+6+[1, 1] = 15

He will use his movement to move back into the trees. He will use cunning action to hide of he has enough regular movement to move into the trees. If he is out of movement he will use cunning action instead for movement to get cover.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:18 am

(Even knowing what their modifier is) Given that his spell has failed several times in a row now Lurn decides it's wasteful to keep trying, instead casting about for any stones he can enchant and, if he finds any, throws an enchanted stone at the most injured hobgoblin. If he can find no suitable stones, he'll try Sacred Flame instead.

Magic Stone: 1D20+5 = [15]+5 = 20
1D6+5 = [2]+5 = 7

Sacred Flame: 1D8 = [3] = 3
(DC15 Dex save to avoid damage)

((I should really just be using Magic Stone by default, 1d6+5 is better than 1d8 or 1d12 damage.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:31 am

Jaq steps out of the forest and sinks an arrow into the back of a hob who topples leaving three left near Celus and Arbelm, one by Kroshav and one 30' north of Kroshav. He steps back into the forest to hide and ponders the roar. It sounded big but not really like an animal?

Arbelm swings at, and is blocked by, one of the three by Celus. Lurn reaches down and quickly grabs two pinecones and a rock. Enchanting the rock he expertly drops the remaining longbow hob.
Initiative:
Group 3 19
Group 2 18 <---
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9
Jaq 8
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:41 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:05 am

The hob in front of Kroshav attacks and is again blocked by the dragonborn.

Celus strikes sluggishly out at the only hob still in reach, the attacks are both easily dodged.
One of the remaining hobs by Celus attacks and misses badly before saying something and other remaining hob disengages and moves into the cover of the forest to the east yelling something.
Dama shoots at the only remaining hob she has a clear shot at but is again stymied by the thick armor the hobs wear. To the east there is another roar and the not so distant of something crashing heavily through the trees.

Initiative:
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9<---
Jaq 8
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5

((Okay, one west of Kroshav, one 30ft east of Celus in the forest and one immediately SE of Celus.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:10 am

Kroshav runs past the one on him to aid Celus if he can get there.

Longsword: 1D20+7 = [17]+7 = 24
1D8+7 = [2]+7 = 9
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:52 pm

Kroshav moves to aid the bloodied Celus, ignoring the the hob beside him in preference of the one attacking his comrade. Unfortunately the hob beside him takes the opportunity to slash the golden dragonborn across his unexposed back and doing a not inconsiderable amount of damage (-8).

The remaining hob attacking Celus is surprised by Kroshav coming up from behind and isn't able to prepare a defense as he is flanked and stabbed under an arm. He is still standing but only holding on using what looks to be a combination of hatred and determination.
Initiative:
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9
Jaq 8<---
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5

((The only hob Jaq can see now without cover is the one Kroshav just attacked.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:16 pm

Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [17]+8 = 25

Arrow damage with sneak attack damage: 1D8+6+2D6 = [3]+6+[5, 4] = 18

Jaq will move out of the tree line to fire at the goblin attacking Kroshav. He will use the rest of his movement to move back to the tree line towards where the hobgoblins ran. He will then hide at the end of his movement, cunning action.
stealth at disadvantage/exhaustion: 2D20.LOW(1)+9 = [14, 18]+9 = 23

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:32 am

Jaq drops the hob that got the AoO on Kroshav, sending an arrow through a gap in the tree branches into her. She dies with a startled scream. He can see the only remaining hob in the forest to the east and moves after him before ducking behind a tree.

Arbelm slashes the hob Kroshav just attacked finishing the dragonborn's work. The Guard officer surveys the site and gives a grin nod to Celus and Kroshav just as another roar, or is it two roars, echo from the east she quickly orders

"I don't like the sound of that. We need to be gone before whatever it is arrives. Kill the last hobgoblin quick if you can. Celus grab the caster and go."
Initiative:
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Group 1 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9
Jaq 8
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5<---
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:35 am

"Celus is hurt, Lurn's good at carrying things. Big guy, you think you can keep up carrying the caster?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:42 am

"He is hurt which is why the rest of us are going to slow whatever is coming so he can get away with the hob. If needed."

Arbelm looks grim.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:00 am

"Slow it or free it. The hobs have been enslaving anything the can; we convinced bugbears to aid us before. Goblin-translator's gone, though."

Once more, Lurn casts about for stones to enchant. If he can still see the remaining hob, he would then either throw a stone at it or, lacking stones, cast Sacred Flame on it.

Magic Stone: 1D20+7 = [1]+7 = 8, 1D6+5 = [3]+5 = 8
Sacred Flame: 1D8 = [2] = 2
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:27 am

Lurn scoops up three rocks this time and then moves a short distance to stand near Arbelm before blessing them. Unfortunately the rock cracks a thick branch long before it nears the fleeing hob who takes his chance to dash east 60 feet.

Celus sheaths his sword and grabs the downed caster, throwing him over a shoulder with a pained grunt. He slaps Kroshav on a shoulder and gives him a reassuring smile, only slightly ruined by the blood and pain. He begins heading on the path you took rather than the one the hobs came on.

Dama takes a shot at the fleeing hob but watches as the arrow disappears into the forest without contact.

Dama at long range shot: 2D20.LOW(1)+6 = [7, 5]+6 = 11
1D6+4 = [4]+4 = 8

Initiative:
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9<---
Jaq 8
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5

((The remaining hob is now 90 feet away from Kroshav and a little more from Arbelm and Lurn. Jaq around 90 feet away as well but more south than the others.

Can I get a perception check from everyone please.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:42 am

My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:10 am

Kroshav hucks one of his javelins into the woods.

Javelin: 2D20.LOW(1)+7 = [16, 4]+7 = 11
1D6+5 = [4]+5 = Miss

Perception: 1D20+1 = [11]+1 = 12

((If it's a fighting retreat, he'd back up a bit.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:39 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:38 am

Lurn makes out what sounds like yelling from different voices followed by another roar but Arbelm and Dama both apparently hear more. Dama calls out,

"Least three hobs along with whatever they are coming with."

Arbelm looks over her shoulder to where Celus is moving into the woods then south along the hobs trail before yelling in Elven and then Draconic,

"We move south, draw them away from Celus." Then in only Elven, "Jaq, kill that hob if you can."
Kroshav's javelin disappears, likely forever this time, into the forest.

Initiative:
Group 2 18
Celus 14
Dama 10
Kroshav 9
Jaq 8 <---
Arbelm 7
Lurn 5

((Arbelm would want Kroshav to move south along the path the hobs took, opposite the one that Celus is moving, Kroshav okay with that?))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:16 am

((Yup, following orders.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Jaq moves 20 feet towards the hob he was instructed to try to finish, and then sends an arrow it's way. He will then move 10 feet into heavier cover and hide.
Longbow attack: 1D20+8 = [1]+8 = 9

stealth at disadvantage/exhaustion: 2D20.LOW(1)+9 = [10, 19]+9 = 19