Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:40 am

"I... Huh... So is it broken? Is it too much to hope that we could just burn it the same as the bones and everything would be ok?"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm

Jaq shrugs. "I don't know. My arrow took out part of the skull part of the mace, and it fell to the ground. What that really means I do not know."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:07 pm

"Should we pick it up?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Is Detect Magic still active? I remember it's a fairly short duration, and don't really know how long we took walking down those stairs. If it is, Lurn will cautiously edge forward until he can see whether the magic vortex has been affected at all.

"I wouldn't feel confident about picking up an item designed to serve a demon."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:02 pm

"Well, what do we do now? Can we drain the pool?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:04 pm

"If it's still working, I would say no. It would have to drain to somewhere, after all."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:15 am

Lurn edges forward, wary of something, anything happening. Once he gets into range he spots the magical funnel still twisting upwards. It seems to still be attached to the mace, which has fallen out of sight, and the thin end that was the size of the top of the skull is visibly thinner as it extends down behind the altar.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:47 am

"The mace is still connected to the pool, but the connection at the mace's end seems notably thinner now that it is further from the pool. Or maybe that is because of the damage done... Further damaging or removing that thing may weaken the pool's power, but I'm concerned about what may happen if it is touched... Well, I'm going to do so anyway, I suppose. If anyone could withstand any ill influences it should be myself, I imagine." Approaching the altar, Lurn seeks out the fallen mace by following the flow of magic. When he finds it, the firbolg pauses for a moment, steadying his breathing. "Well, here goes." Reaching down, the large man snatches up the mace, withdrawing his arm quickly from where it had lain, as if concerned of being burned.
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:17 am

As Lurn moves forward, Ves readies her staff (she's at the bottom of the stairs if it makes a difference,)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:57 am

"Oh, gods....good luck." Jaq looks away from Lurn for a moment and looks down at his hand, and then back to the courageous cleric. He gets his arrow ready in case some enemy makes itself know from the bones, otherwise he is unsure what to do. "I think we should grab it and run...fast."

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:13 am

”Donnae touch it with yer hands. Tha be first thin o cursed treasurrr huntin.” Joe gets her rope and makes a lasso. ”Use this instead ta get it. Though why aint we just destroyin’ it first?”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:18 am

As Lurn straightens with the mace he hears the vile voice in his mind and images of his departed loved ones flash through his mind...

((Wisdom save with advantage from Lurn))

A small amount of oily necrotic magic burns across his palm.

Necro damage: 1d6 = [1] = 1

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:33 am

2d20+7 = [19, 2] = 26

Barely even aware of the attempts to influence him, Lurn grits his teeth slightly at the burning sensation, then laughs through them, turning and hurrying (sprinting movement) toward the stairs, aiming to move as far toward the nearest of their skeletal bonfires, (likely the giant's?). "Clear a path so I can toss this thing in one of our fires. Its pathetic magics will not sway my mind or stop by body, but it's an unpleasant itch." As he passes Jaq he offers a grin, "Perhaps if it leaves some marks on me we can say that you received your curse in service of opposing this foe also. It would be no lie, and any temple of my faith should be more than happy to supplement the costs of restoring one who suffered for our cause."

((I was thinking I'd throw Inspiration at that roll just in case, then realised it only provides Advantage anyway. Ah well, Lurn continues his trend of being just absolutely unshakeable. XD ))
My game:

My characters:

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:37 am

Kroshav sprints after Lurn, in case the cleric is taken over, someone needs to be there to send him safely to Kevin.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:02 am

Ves pauses, in case there's any change in the bone altars, but then turns and follows Lurn to make sure the fire is burning and hot.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:16 pm

”Next time when dealin with a curs’d object donae use yer hands! That be what rope be fer.”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:18 pm

Lurn, laughing like a maniac initially, turns and runs back out of the room, past Ves and Jaq. While running he gives orders and even finds time to contemplate and explain how he can commit insurance religion fraud with his own church. Ves waits to make sure the altar and it's surrounding pile of bones hasn't decided to pursue Lurn, or something worse, before turning and running after Lurn. This leaves Jaq clutching his bow alone in the room.

Part way up the stairs Lurn sees the necrotic magic surge out of the half skulled mace into his hand again, this time much more powerfully. He also sees that the narrow point of the funnel attached to the skull is only a finger width in size now.

Necro damage: 1d8 = [4] = 4

Gritting his teeth Lurn continues up past Kroshav who joins him. Joe just stands there at the top of the stairs with a baffled and then slightly annoyed expression as the firbolg barrels past, her rope hanging limply in her hand. Jolly just takes a step back and mutters to Joe,

"Why didn't he use the rope?"

Lurn heads to the closest fire outside the ruins, Kroshav and Ves right with him. He watches as every long step causes the funnel end attached to the mace to grow thinner and a quick glance over his shoulder confirms the other end of the funnel leads to the pool. Just as Lurn moves beyond the south wall of the ruins he watches as whatever was attached to the mace snaps. Lurn has time to wince before a wave of force slams into him and then Ves and Kroshav.

((Con saves from Lurn, Ves and Kroshav! Half damage on save (DC 13).

Shockwave bludgeoning: 2d8 = [8, 7] = 15 ))

Joe and Jolly don't even notice the sound to their southwest as see the pool north of them turn into a wall of rock shards and dust as it explodes violently in all directions. They are far enough away they are unharmed as the shockwave hits them. Jaq, still in the room, hears a muffled boom and some dust shakes from the ceiling before the altar collapses.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:27 pm

"Yay!" says Jaq as the alter collapses.
He then moves upstairs with haste before more of the ceiling shakes and more than dust falls.
"Joe, Jolly, Where did the others go?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Kroshav, caught completely unprepared takes the full brunt of the blast and spends (what seems like) a very long time airborne before landing badly on his arm. A familiar popping sound on impact, followed by a new rush of pain, let's him know that the arm is broken. Also he thinks he bit his tongue.

((Left arm is broken, any magical healing will correct this. Until then disadvantage on strength checks requiring two arms. As it's his shield arm it won't affect combat.))

Jaq emerges to the blank, shell shocked expressions of Jolly and Joe, both covered in debris. Jolly gestures absently towards where Lurn and crew ran.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:47 pm

Kroshav grunts and rolls onto his back, hiding in pain before looking around to take stock of his friends.

He's also looking to make sure Lurn isn't evil and in need of putting down.

((Have 1 HP left of Lay on Hands, but want to make sure everyone else is alright first.))
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:49 pm

”Cause he be an idiot who donae listen.”

“I think they ran twoard tha fire?”
Joe packs her rope again and moves twoards where they set the fire earlier.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:12 pm

“Are you two ok?” He waits for an answer before checking on the others.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:44 pm

What shockwave?

Con save: 1d20+1 = [20] = 21

Ves takes half again for her racial resistance.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:40 pm

((I don't think she does, considering that one was described as "Shockwave bludgeoning." Unless she resist bludgeoning somehow. :p

Also, I'm gonna spend that Inspiration because I have to do it sooner or later.))

2d20+4 = [13, 1] = 17
Okay, so the Inspiration wasn't needed, but hey, it burned a future Nat 1 with no negative results, so I'll take it. :p
My game:

My characters: