Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 am

((I have no idea... I thought it was showing us the same patch of road again that we saw the first time and are currently on. Did I misunderstand? She wants to look for Grey (or his body)))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 am ((I have no idea... I thought it was showing us the same patch of road again that we saw the first time and are currently on. Did I misunderstand? She wants to look for Grey (or his body)))
((Ya, I think so. The mirror is showing you two visibly distinct patches of road. The patch you are currently on and another, unknown patch. As far as Ves and Joe can tell neither of the patches is any different from when you looked yesterday, except one now contains Ves and Joe. Neither of the patches of road currently include Gray, again, so far as you can tell.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:53 pm

Arbelm responds to Lurn,

"Better than what I was capable of doing. If it looks like we are going to be killed or captured kill her. We can't have her being brought back into this war. Understood?"

Jaq holds back and ducks into the tent beside him without anyone noticing. He moves to the other side of the tent and peers though the flap. (He was already about 40' back from Arbelm so I just slide him into the tent for the cover and hiding, okay?)

As Jaq disappears into the tent the reason for soldiers clearing a path becomes clear as a half dozen ogres with clubs stomp out of the forest flanked by a pair of clerics, both yelling and then giving sharp blasts on whistles. A single hob warrior trails the group. All of the ogres that move into view look like they have been in a fight, two still have arrows protuding while others have bleeding wounds. The clerics look to be in better shape but their voices sound hoarse, possibly thanks to all the yelling they seem to need to do.

The northern cleric is too focused on his charges to pay much mind to his surroundings but the southern cleric's gaze tracks from the burning tent, to the head of a wyvern lifting above the tent tops and finally landing on the party moving straight towards them. She screams something that even causes the ogres to look back at her before she points at the party, yells something and whistles three sharp blasts. The southern cleric's whistling is reinforced by the northern cleric and the ogres all turn and charge forward roaring with the clerics and the lone warrior on their heels.

Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Purple wyvern
Brown wyvern
Jaq
Ogre squad
First General Fadris (KO)
Team Kroshav<-----

Map:
► Show Spoiler
((The wyverns are 110' directly east of Indra for reference.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:06 pm

Dama moves west 15ft and fires on the ogre with and ethereal blue fence around him.

The rest of the squad double moves to the east side of the tent by Indra.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:07 am

Kroshav's team splits, Dama firing off an arrow that bounces off the magical force field around the blue ogre sinks in deep to join two others. The ogre stumbles but continues on.

Arbelm says to the firbolg beside her "Remember what I said Lurn." Before moving just SW of Indra to attack the red ogre, adding another deep, bloody gash to its blubbery body.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn<-----
Team Jesp
Purple wyvern
Brown wyvern
Jaq
Ogre squad
Team Kroshav

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:48 am

"Yes, corporal. If it becomes necessary."

As Indra engages the red ogre, Lurn casts Toll The Dead to assist, a moment later extending his free hand to Fand, in which he receives and enchants a set of rocks, the first of which is also thrown at the red ogre.

(Lurn) Toll The Dead (Injured): 1D12 = [8] = 8
(Fand) Magic Stone: 1D20+5 = [1]+5 = 6
1D6+5 = [5]+5 = 10
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:32 pm

Red ogre shakes its head furiously as blood now leaks from its ears, giving Indra the distraction she needs to slide her rapier betweenr the creature's ribs into its heart. As the sword slides out the ogre slaps a meaty hand to its chest as it sags down.

Following Dama's lead, Jesp points at blue ogre before taking a step back to allow Amar a better shot. Both arrows hit, but Amar's sinks noticeably deeper. Jesp waves the pair back and they form up in front of Dama while Jesp springs forward and just before he reaches the ogre leaps into the air. It isn't enough to reach the ogre's head with his maul but the dwarf does manage to slam the heavy hammer into the middle of the ogre's ribcage with a crack. The dwarf lands lightly as the ogre topples backwards.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Purple wyvern
Brown wyvern
Jaq<-----
Ogre squad
Team Kroshav

((Ogres are clearly below your squad. Not going to be able to make a new map until Sunday as the soonest.))

Map:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:20 pm
thinkslogically wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:56 am ((I have no idea... I thought it was showing us the same patch of road again that we saw the first time and are currently on. Did I misunderstand? She wants to look for Grey (or his body)))
((Ya, I think so. The mirror is showing you two visibly distinct patches of road. The patch you are currently on and another, unknown patch. As far as Ves and Joe can tell neither of the patches is any different from when you looked yesterday, except one now contains Ves and Joe. Neither of the patches of road currently include Gray, again, so far as you can tell.))
((Ooooooooh! Then she won't try to look for someone who's not there! Well just carry onwards to the town to find Tom I guess))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:41 pm

((It's not so much that ogres are below our squad as they're already injured. They'll go down easily, but I imagine once they get turns they'll be able to hit us just as hard.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:54 pm

(Is it showing up somewhat of a split screen of sorts?)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:54 pm

(I'm not sure if we are waiting for the wyvern's or if they are just not paying attention and doing nothing, I hope, so here is Jaq's move)
Jaq pops out of the tent and lets an arrow fly at the purple ogre.
He then used regular movement to move up north a bit and hide (cunning action) behind the tent he was just inside.
Longbow attack with advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+8 = [11, 14]+8 = 22

arrow and sneak attack: 1D8+6+2D6 = [6]+6+[3, 4] = 19

Stealth: 1D20+9 = [5]+9 = 14

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:36 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:54 pm (Is it showing up somewhat of a split screen of sorts?)
((More like different channels with similar shows playing.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:09 am

Jaq leaps from the tent and looses an arrow into purple ogre. The ogre pauses and coughs a bit of blood but mostly seems confused by why.

With a whistle the ogres close the remaining distance. Pink moves on Ern, orange to Jesp, purple to Lurn and and green to Arbelm before attacking. Luckily enough all swing slowly and telegraph their attacks allowing everyone to avoid the huge clubs.
The warrior wrangler moves up behind Arbelm, the two clerics stand where they are, both waves their hands and point. The northern points at Jesp and the southern Indra. Jesp blinks and shakes his head but Indra cries out and raises her hand to her eyes.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Purple wyvern
Brown wyvern
Jaq
Ogre squad
Team Kroshav<-----

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:21 am

Jolly to purple, Celus to green, Kroshav I think can make it to the south cleric. Dama fires on one of the clerics if she has a clean shot, ogre otherwise.

Longsword: 1D20+7 = [2]+7 = 9
1D8+7 = [4]+7 = 11

((Hopefully once he's a full paladin Kroshav can roll above a 5 more confidently.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:40 am

Stepping forward to defend Lurn, Jolly stabs purple. The ogre groans as it sinks to the hilt before screaming as he twists it while pulling it free.

Celus moves in and cuts two deep wounds and Arbelm attempts to assist but stumbles on a tent peg and misses. Kroshav heads to engage the southern cleric but simply misses the agile target.

Dama, unable to see one of the clerics through all the ogre, shoots pink ogre right in front of her gaining it's beady-eyed attention.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn<-----
Team Jesp
Purple wyvern
Brown wyvern
Jaq
Ogre squad
Team Kroshav

((Right...whatever keeps Kroshav going in the morning.

@Dlover, Indra is blind, purple is Lurn's business to the SW and pink in north of him. Green is west of Arbelm and orange is south of Jesp.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:19 am

I guess we keep going, Joe will look at the mirror every so often to see what it does as they walk.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:32 am

Right about to get to bed, so not going to roll at the moment, but Lurn will Toll purple, Fand will throw a rock at purple, Indra... Tries to make a save on the blindness, if that's an option? If not, I guess she's just flailing wildly at whatever sounds like it's nearby and as big as an ogre.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:48 am

Lurn tolls the giantkin before him to small effect. The ogre blinks in confusion at the loud bells.

"Huhh?"

Fand throws another stone but, as with the first, he is too afraid to aim properly and the stone flies over the huge target.

Indra, more angry than worried, takes a breath and tilts her head to listen to the unmistakable breathing of an ogre before stepping in a ramming her rapier deeper than she probably would have had she been able to see. The ogre shudders from the horrific wound but also seems to be a bit angry. Indra blinks as her vision returns and jerks out the blade.
Ern disengages and moves back behind Dama while Amar fires on pink but misses. Jesp lands a solid blow on orange, but the ogre doesn't look ready to drop yet.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Purple wyvern
Brown wyvern
Jaq<-----
Ogre squad
Team Kroshav
----
As the pair walk away towards town Joe watches (in the first use of the command word) the image of their backs get smaller and smaller, like they are getting more distant from whatever the mirror is showing.

The second use of the command word shows an unchanging (beyond a few birds flying around) empty road.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:19 am

((At least Jolly and Indra are helping pick up Kroshav's slack! Once he officially takes his oaths, he will literally have the confidence to do better, as his 3rd level channel divinity lets him add his +4 CHA bonus to attack rolls for a minute. Swinging with a +11 to hit will make even some of my bad rolls valid!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:09 am

((...for one minute. Rest of the day he is just Kroshav! :lol: ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:12 am

((One minute covers one pivotal battle!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Jaq moves from cover, snipes at the (pink) ogre, and then moves behind the tent and hides yet again.
Longbow attack with advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+8 = [11, 5]+8 = 19

arrow and sneak attack: 1D8+6+2D6 = [6]+6+[1, 2] = 15

Stealth: 1D20+9 = [13]+9 = 22

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:29 am

Jaq puts another arrow into pink ogre, who is confused at finding another arrow embedded in him. Pink, purple and green ogre are all swaying on their feet as they bleed profusely. The only ogre that doesn't look like they are just holding on to life is orange. Their poor condition doesn't stop them from responding when a whistle is blown and striking out. Pink moves forward and puts pressure on all three archers and swings his club at Dama, who nimbly dances to the side. Orange swings but his blow is redirected by Jesp's maul to the ground. Purple's attack on Jolly hits the man's shield and Jolly cries out in pain as his arm breaks and the shield hits him in the chest breaking more bones. Jolly stumbles, face twisted in pain, as he lifts his shield back up with a mangled arm. Green smashes Arbelm in her armored chest and she winces in pain as something pops but stays up, determination clear on her face as she deflects a blow from the warrior hob beside her on her shield.

The cleric nearest Jesp moves to orange and places a hand on the ogre causing it do glow red briefly. The southern cleric grabs the back of Kroshav's hand and an intense pain tears into the dragonborn. Just as he feels like the pain is going to overwhelm him he hears a voice in head,
► Show Spoiler
And the pain, while not completely disappearing, is reduced to something bearable as some of it focuses and disappears into his sword.
Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn
Team Jesp
Purple wyvern
Brown wyvern
Jaq
Ogre squad
Team Kroshav <-----

Map:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:20 am

A determined Jolly tries to pay purple back.

Dama whips out a dagger and tries to bury it in pink.

Celus circles green to get its attention split between him and Arbelm before slashing into it from behind (flanking).

(Is Kroshav able to tell what kind of damage he is being protected from?))

His confidence buoyed by the intervention of his sword, he pulls back and just wallops the cleric, dropping his last Divine Smite into the blow.

Longsword: 1D20+7 = [20]+7 = 27
1D8+7 = [4]+7 = 11

Longsword: Smite plus crit: 2D8+3D8 = [1, 7]+[4, 1, 2] = 15

13 slashing, 13 radiant
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:12 am

Jolly lets him shield arm sag and swings for all he has left in him to end purple ogre with a deep cut though its side, it waivers then falls. To his north Dama pulls out her dagger and, using her bow as a pole to vault with, jumps up and slices the pink ogre's throat. It's drops its club with a thunk as it tries to stem the bleeding before collapsing. Celus moves around behind green ogre and with his first blow severs its spine, dropping it along side its fellow.

((He has his second attack left but can't make it this turn to either the cleric, the warrior or other ogre for a melee attack.))

Kroshav finds inspiration in his sword's power and uses it to hack the cleric down. As the blow slices into the hob's chest he adds a brilliant flash of light from his gods but also notices a dark green glow flow from the hob's body into the blade before leaving the blade and entering his arm with a pleasant tingling. The hob crumples before Kroshav, fur turned gray and face shriveled. A voice speaks in Kroshav's mind, recognizably now as the sword,
► Show Spoiler
Arbelm takes her chance as the warrior beside her is startled to cut him down with a powerful chop to his neck. One of the wyverns roars something and the sound of fighting from the east is getting louder.
((The extra damage from the sword is necrotic, Kroshav gets 7 temp HP. You can roll an arcana check to identify the damage type.

There is one ogre left, orange next to Jesp, and the other cleric next to the ogre.))

Initiative:
Arbelm
Team Lurn<-----
Team Jesp
Purple wyvern
Brown wyvern
Jaq
Ogre squad
Team Kroshav