Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:11 pm

When it starts getting too dark, Lurn will grab a stick to cast Light on.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:26 am

Lurn makes magic torch as the darkness falls and Jolly is clearly appreciate. He looks at Ves,

"Ya got good night eyes. Probably saw better at night when I was your age."

He looks at Kroshav in the rear of the procession and says,

"Thought dragons could see in the dark but ya don't seem better of than me."

He seems very nervous in the dark, dark forest.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:56 am

Kroshav shrugs listlessly.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:09 am

Jolly doesn't seem to notice the lack of response and continues,

"How do ya stay safe out here? Ya said there were goblins? They like being out at night?"

His eyes drawn the to changing shadows of the trees as they walk forward.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 am

She finds just the right place to stop...

1d20+5 = [20] = 25

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:39 am

Once they stop, Kroshav heads to bed.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:44 am

Joe will light the fire if they want. She'll take the first watch.

Joe Average per [1d20] = 9

During her watch she thinks if enough time has lapse for Ruby to send his message.
Joe Average [1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:55 am

To Jolly: "Yeah, there's a fair few things live out here that you won't see in the cities. There's goblins out here for sure. Mostly traders. I've had dealings with most and keep clear of the ones that are only out to hunt. You see a goblin, you shout a warning, find cover and look for their clan marks. We don't want to shoot the ones that are friendly, and we don't want to be ambushed by those that aren't. Out here, most folk are just trying to make their way through the seasons like the rest of us and keep to themselves. For the rest, stay with the group and be ready to do exactly as I say, when I say. If shit finds us, I won't have time to be polite about it."

She looks up at Jolly across the fire and gives him a smile.

"You're doing just fine. You all are. It's uncomfortable out here for folk that aren't used to it, but in a couple of days it'll hurt less and the ground'll feel soft when you sleep. You'll get used to the night sounds too soon enough and learn what's worth worrying about and what's not. We've got a big group of competent folk and that's really good. Hungry animals are our biggest worry out here, but they won't take on prey that's as big or as many as us. Nothing much out here wants anything except to live.

Right. We've got a fire going well. Im going to see what I can find nearby for food and I'll get the food on when I get back. Jaq, you've got good eyes - mind coming with me?"

Assuming Jaq helps:
Survival foraging- 2d20k1+5 = [17, 11] = 22

Ves will give Kroshav's quietness a moment of consideration as she heads past, but will leave him be for now. It's a conversation for the morning.

After that, she'll eat, check her gear and supplies and turn in. She'll take one of the middle of the night watches as usual.

Perception: 1d20+4 = [17] = 21

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:01 am

Ves finds an area where a tree has half fallen into another tree and smaller trees have grown up on all sides of it providing an excellent roof as well blocking most of the light that their fire would cast. On top of that the ground under the tree is surprisingly free from roots and rocks! Kroshav quickly goes to bed (not eating?) without comment or offering to take a watch.

Jolly gives a tight smile, "Ya, okay." He doesn't look entirely convinced and goes to sit beside Kroshav's sleeping form while Ves and Jaq head out (as Jaq was interested before in learning). Between the two of them find a wide bounty of roots, mushrooms and even some berries.

Joe sets up for first watch and decides that Ruby almost certainly would have had time to deliver the message.

((1st and 2nd watch covered, anyone for 3rd and 4th? Feel free to do something before I start through the night.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:24 am

Ves will sit up for a little while (like, 20 mins) with Joe while she cleans the pots and such after the meal, chatting quietly before turning in, mostly just to get to know her a bit better (fluff).

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:42 am

Jaq will give up this offer for watches.
"Since I only need to meditate for 4 hours and them I'm good for the night, just figure out watches for the first part of each night. I'll take care of my needed sleep right away and after that, I'll take watch until morning. It's easy enough for me to do that every day, and then you all only have to decide on how to cover the first part of the night. How does that sound?"

He will gladly go searching for edibles with Ves.

During the meal and before everyone heads to sleep, he will take another look at the dwarven runes and try learning a bit more. This will also become a nightly routine for him.
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:46 am

((Perception from Jaq please.

The watches are covered then.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:47 am

((Yeah, he filled up on eggs earlier. :chuckle: ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:54 am

Perception 1d20+2 = [18] = 20

Also made an edit to my post above, about the dwarven runes.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:19 am

While on watch, Joe tries to summon Ruby by her side.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:18 pm

Jolly helps out with cleaning the pots, sort of, but beds down near Kroshav while Ves and Joe chat a few minutes. Jaq sits quietly looking at the pamphlet comparing runes to those he already knows. He feels like a couple more nights and he will have it down and can give the metal schematic another look.

After Ves has gone to be Joe dismisses and then summons Ruby back to her. The parrot appears nearby looking decidedly rougher than when he was sent away with patches of skin visible on its neck and back. He seems very relieved to be back with Joe and hops over to her and says, "Cracker." Somehow the bird makes it a demand rather than a question.

Joe is so pleased to have her bird back and her watch passes quickly while she catches up and cleans her bird before waking Ves. Ves keeps a vigilant eye on the woods as the fire wanes, towards the end of her watch she spots a pair of eyes flash near the edge of the fire light. Squinting she can make out the form of a squirrel or a rat, almost certainly the later this time of night. The rat watches the camp motionless and silent for the rest of Ves' watch but disappears as she goes to wake Jaq. Jaq's watch is is filled with the sounds of the forest at night but nothing of any size approaches the camp and after a fairly lonely stretch listening to the others sleep the sky begins to be brighten.

((New day!))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:04 pm

Ves is up early to make breakfast and clear the camp up a bit. As everyone packs up, she'll check in with everyone for a wee morale assessment.

((How is everyone doing? :) ))

Insight for Jolly / anyone who doesn't want to just tell me:
1d20+5 = [14] = 19

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Kroshav's more himself, but still quiet and not going out of his way to interact with the others.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:16 pm

"Ah was so worri'd about ye!" Joe pulls her trail rations and gives him some. "Ye look in rough shape. But ye are here now n Ah'll make sure ye'd get plenty o treats. Such a good boy." Joe pets his head and looks him over, cleaning him off so he's not as dirty. "Were ya able ta give tha message?"

---
Next day Joe looks at the various maps she has, her original map, the bandit map and the book of maps and see where they are.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:29 pm

Ves will look in mild surprise at Joe and the profusion of maps.

"Huh. Mind if I take a look...?"

Chewing on some breakfast, Ves nudges in to look over the various maps and see if she can spot anything of interest in their vicinity.

((What roll would be needed?))

PS she's noticing Kroshav's reaction, but since he seems largely ok, she's going to leave him be and just keep an eye.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:19 am

Lurn is quite cheerful after a full night's rest, easily moving at the group's pace, "Have to say, traveling in a group is convenient. I'm used to camping by the road and hoping nothing happens by while I sleep. Of course, my travel has always been protected by my God's favour, as it is holy pilgrimage."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:39 am

"Must be nice to have someone watching over you like that." Ves replies, distractedly.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:49 am

"It's a matter of that or constant fear and paranoia. It would be difficult to travel alone without getting sick for not sleeping if I didn't have any faith."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:01 am

Ruby gladly accepts the food and wash and responds with a head bob to the question about delivering the message and parrots the word.
---
Ves gets up and gets breakfast ready for everyone and checks on how they are doing. Kroshav is still noticably reserved but why isn't clear to her. Jolly seems to be in higher spirits having survived his first night in the woods and is happy for breakfast.

((Survival to match up maps))

Joe spreads her maps on the ground and considers them in turn. They still aren't on her original map yet, from what she can tell it is still a good ways to the north. The bandit map is a bit harder to follow. It seems to be based on a spot on the road near where they encountered the bandits and then notes a few places of local reference (like narrow ravine, big rock shaped like a mushroom) that Joe doesn't recognize and ends up at a place labelled 'Grey Tree, North Side". None of the ruins marked in the book seem very close by, there seems to be one due west along the mountains and then one due east in the Hag's Swamp but none very nearby.

((Anything specific otherwise?))

The group cleans up and heads out with Ves in the lead.

((Survival roll from Ves and then two d20s from whomever))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:37 am

Ves points Joe to where they currently are, and makes a mental note of rough landmarks to note. But, they've got another long day ahead and she doesn't have a great deal of time for this now.

Map reading: 1d20+5 = [10] = 15

"Come on. Maps are something to read when we stop. We've got a long day of walking ahead and we'd best get to it. I know where we are."

Survival (travel): 1d20+5 = [13] = 18

Random d20s: 2d20 = [7, 3] = 10

She gives Jolly a grin and a pat on the shoulder as she hauls her own pack onto her back and leads the group out.