Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 am

((How many people is he landing on at the bottom? But yeah, I understand the difficulty with that - and some cases I'll even do it, but really only when play-by-post makes it impossible to do it properly. For example, if there's something that's "When an enemy declares an attack," I can't really declare that action before the rolls are made. They're done, the results are out. Which is also super cheaty because if the rolls were bad the ability would never get used. >.>

Also Lurn totally always has his weapon (mace) out. It's just a coincidence that he's never once used it and always uses god magic instead.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:32 am

Joe will go with Bes so she can make sure the hook is replenished before decending.

Athletic [1d20] = 7 guidance [1d4] = 4

And hopefully she doesn't fall to her death.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:17 am

To Lurn:
"No, you climb down there and then wait for me. We're going to travel on inside the canyon for a while which should be easier going."

To Joe (quietly): "If you're certain it'll work and won't fail when were halfway down..."

Ath: 1d20+3 = [7] = 10
Edit: plus guidance: 1d4 = [4] = 4

Woop! Thanks dlover!
Last edited by thinkslogically on Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:24 am

((Add a 1d4 to that, Thinks))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:29 am

Athletics and Guidance 1d20+3+1d4 = [9] = 14

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:33 am

Kroshav looks at Jolly with a bit of surprise.

"Oh, you've gone rock climbing before?"

He's so distracted by thoughts of a young, slim Jolly clamboring around cliffs, that he almost steps off into nothing. Lurns hand on his shoulder brings him somewhat back to his senses.

1d20+7 = [2] = 9
1d4 = [3] = 3
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:24 am

Jolly scoffs a bit about him having climbed before.

"Maybe a wall or two when I was younger but nothing like this."

Jaq starts the procession down and makes it without any effort, Jolly follows and has a tougher time but after a few minutes manages to get to the bottom sweating. Kroshov follows Jolly and finds a quarter of the way down that Jolly managed to get the rope sweaty enough that he slips and briefly loses his grip. This provides the golden dragonborn a half a second to enjoy the pure panic of falling as he scrabbles and only just manages to grab the rope.

((Okay. So if Lurn goes next neither Joe or Ves will get bless. As this seems to be what Ves wants we will just go with it but Joe is mixed as she rolled with Bless but wanted to go last. I will give Burns a chances to clarify.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:34 am

((Lurn could give guidance to the person after him if he isn't using it himself, as long as he concentrates on it while descending?))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:40 am

((It is the minute duration I am looking at not being enough for the person after to be able to make use of it. The speeds of descent are based on the rolls and so far only Jaq was down in under two minutes! Its not far but you're seemingly not good at it.

That said very high and very low rolls both have quick descent speeds...))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:15 am

Joe wants to make sure the hook stays and renews it for her and Ves' decent, so if she doesn't get guidance then she doesn't get guidance.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:19 am

((You get inspiration for staying true there Burns, oh and you get it too Dlover. I thought it but never wrote it.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:44 am

Lurn, against his better judgement, descends after Kroshav. The rope, now having had some time to dry, provides reliable hold as he makes his way slowly down. Joe makes sure her magical hook is as fresh as magical hooks can get before she follows Lurn down.

Things go smoothly for Joe for the first 20 ft but when she moves to shift her weight from one hand to another she feels and odd pop in the hand holding on and her fingers go numb and the hand spasms. Joe's descent begins to pick up...

((Dex save please, its a 60ft drop to the ground.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:05 am

((Kroshav would have stationed himself at the bottom to help catch or slow anyone who needs it... but I neglected to say that. Sorry Cap'n!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:29 am

dex [1d20+4] = 4+4 = 8

Welp, it was fun while it lasted. I shouldn't have chanced it since it meant death if I failed, and used inspiration right away but I thought the +4 dex would have helped.

I don't think I can use inspiration in retrospect. So what happens to Ruby? (most important question)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 am

Joe makes a grab for the rope as she falls rapidly to the ground, and dragonborn, below.

Kroshav throws himself under Joe and manages to slow her a bit, at the cost of getting smacked hard, but she is moving too quickly to catch and she hits the ground with a sickening crunch.

Joe fall damage:5d6 = [5, 5, 3, 1, 1] = 15

Kroshav catch damage: 1d6 = [4] = 4

Ves follows as quickly after as she can, struggling down the rope to the others.

Ruby lands beside his fallen wizard, hopping near her hand.

((Unless they leave Joe to bleed out she will be fine.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:19 am

Jaq is about to run over to Joe, but decides instead to stay where he is and allow Lurn to get close to her and help her without too many people in the way. Instead Jaq will not focus on watching the healing and scan the bottom of the ravine and check for any threats that may be down here.

Perception 1d20+2 = [8] = 10

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:36 am

Jaq decides he can't offer much in the way of healing, certainly not with Lurn and Kroshav on hand and instead checks to see if the fall alerted anything in the ravine.

Nothing catches his eye as immediately dangerous but based on crushed trees, scattered boulders and high water marks on the walls he'd hazard that this isn't a place where things linger. A glance up reveals a cloudless sky.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:11 am

Kroshav immediately uses Lay on Hands to get 1 HP back into the Cap'n to stabilize her.

"I have to say, your way down was a lot faster."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:25 am

((I assume the hook vanished when Joe hit the deck?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:10 pm

((It's not concentration and lasts for an hour, I read that to mean it's still there in all its glowing glory for another 58 minutes as of Joe making landfall.))

Bones re-nit and smashed insides adjust as Kroshav brings Joe back from her nap. That said, man does everything in, on and around her hurt.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:22 pm

Joe winces as she is revived. "Feck. Tha hurt. It's better than bein' dead though."

(Is anything broken?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:26 pm

((Well, yes but nothing a good night's sleep wouldn't miraculously fix. Without more healing you aren't going to be mobile for the rest of the day.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Seeing that she's still in pain, Kroshav will cast cure wounds.

1d8+4 = [2] = 6
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:46 pm

Joe's vision blurs briefly at the pain as breaks snap back into place and torn muscle mends. The pain quickly becomes a warm pleasant feeling...or is that just the leftovers from a traumatic brain injury? Either way she feels better.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:51 pm

"How you feeling Cap'n? Need to rest? Lurn or I can give you another if we're pushing on."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler