Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:28 am

((ok that happened in M0rts game at the weekend then... NVM! :lol: ))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:29 am

((Hard to keep all the games straight!))

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:52 am

Longbow attack: 1D20+7 = [19]+7 = 26

Longbow damage with sneak attack: 1D8+5+1D6 = [8]+5+[1] = 14

Jaq will pop around the corner of the doorway and snipe at the darkness again. He will then use his movement to quickly run across to the room across the hallway and stop just inside the doorway again.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Jaq sends another expertly aim arrow over Lurn into the wall of darkness and notes that the arrow's path remains open even as he runs across the hall.

Four tendrils of darkness lash out of the roiling mass, two targeting Lurn and two Triss. Lurn is easily able to ward off the attacks with his shield and mace while Triss simply dodges by leaping, unnaturally high, above them and appearing to somehow briefly grip the ceiling. The shadow wall doesn't react beyond attempting to roll over the pair. Triss lands awkwardly and only just manages to throw herself back.

Joe fires at the now very visible shadow. The bolt hits but, unlike Jaq's arrow, is quickly engulfed by the darkness.

Jolly pokes his head around the corner but doesn't fire.
Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)<-----
Triss
Lurn (17 HP) (Dex save!)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Kroshav's arms don't work quite right as he throws a javelin.
((Assuming he's not in the front line since it attacked Lurn and Triss.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:30 pm

Kroshav's javelin disappears in the dark mass without any noticable impact.

Triss rights herself and snarls as she rips at the darkness in front of her, ribbons of darkness break away and disappear under her attack.
Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP) (Dex save!)<-----
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:59 pm

((Oh and Kroshav is not on the frontline, it only went as far as covering Lurn who was where Kroshav was before starting his retreat. Which means that throw should have been at disadvantage. Give me another roll!))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:04 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:57 pm

Dex save: 1D20-1 = [19]-1 = 18

I'm going to assume 18 is a successful save, so with full stats:
Mace Attack: 1D20+3+2 = [10]+3+2 = 15
1D6+3 = [2]+3 = 5

Lurn steps out of the reach of the enchroaching darkness, striking back at it in return. "Would you have done so, in truth? Perhaps."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 pm

((who is Lurn talking to?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:17 pm

((I think he's compelled to preach, even if he doesn't have an audience! :D ))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 pm

((Triss. She said she'd have abandoned us if it weren't day.))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:36 am

Joe holds a firebolt for an opening as Lurn takes a big step back from the shadow and strikes it's twisting shape with his mace.

The shadow wall's form is significantly more transparent now and some light appears to pass through it completely in places.

Initiative:

Jaq (18 HP)
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)<-----
Jolly

((Triss meant she wouldn't have adventured further in had it been night, not that she would have run on contact with the shadows. Not sure if that is how Lurn would take it though.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:14 am

Attacking again (same strategy - dip forwards, then back, keeping 40 feet away)

UA attack: 1D20+4 = [5]+4 = 9

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 am

Ves moves forward and blasts in the general direction of the shadowy mass but hits the ceiling mere inches from its edge.

Jolly looks back at Kroshav, Ves and Joe then over at Jaq before looking forward at Lurn and Triss.

"Uh?" He lifts the crossbow and then lowers it. "Ya sure ya want me shooting over their heads?"

((Attack readied))

Jaq (18 HP)<-----
Big shadow
Kroshav (3 HP)
Triss
Lurn (17 HP)
Joe (20 HP)
Ves (15 HP)
Jolly

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:57 am

Jaq pops out and shoots again.

Longbow attack: 1D20+7 = [11]+7 = 18

Longbow damage with sneak attack: 1D8+5+1D6 = [6]+5+[4] = 15

This time though, instead of moving back into the room for hiding and cover, he will retreat back to where Ves is.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:12 am

Kroshav steps up to where he's in good range to hurl a javelin, and tosses it. He puts a bit more effort into his accuracy, but by any measure it's a weak toss. He moves back a bit shame-faced.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:28 am

Jaq, getting into a routine, steps out and fires another arrow off into the shadow wall right between Lurn and Triss. As with before the arrow pierces cleanly and splits whatever is bonding the thing together more effectively. As the arrow disappears the wall of darkness shudders and starts to contract inwards and away from Triss and Lurn to a point just beyond them. Kroshav, seeing his chance, quickly tosses a well aimed javelin into the wall's last shuddering remnants right before it fades (brightens?) completely.

No one notices the shame on Kroshav's face as all watch the threat disappear.

((Out of combat, again!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:33 am

Buoyed by his apparent kill of the shadow, Kroshav approaches Triss, extending a hand.

"I wanted to thank you for throwing in with us. If not for you, I may have fallen. I'm glad you were here to make sure it wasn't my time yet."

He gives her a weak handshake if she accepts it.

((I mean. He's still the second strongest in the party, but for him he's a +1 STR instead of +5, so it feels like a huge drop to him.))

As long as there are no immediate threats, he'll retrieve his javelins if it doesn't take him too far from the others to do so.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:54 am

Triss stands looking into the darkness, very still. As Kroshav approaches she slowly turns her head to regard him. There is something vicious in her regard of him. After a brief moment that gives Kroshav a chill she closes her eyes and balls her fists before opening both and accepting the dragonborn's waiting hand.

"My pleasure. I am sure your companions would have been able to save you without my assistance."

Releasing Kroshav's hand she looks back towards the exit.

"I believe I... I should wait by the entrance to this place. It should be dark enough soon to go out and I must admit the fight got my appetite up."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:00 am

Still wary, Lurn activates Eyes of the Grave to check for nearby undead. "Nay, were not for you we would have been in dire straits indeed. With Kroshav so weakened, only I would be suited for holding the front, and would have been overcome before long. You have done us a great service here." Staring down the corridor, the firbolg takes a deep breath, "Maybe we should also retreat from here and come forward again when we are well rested."
My game:

My characters:

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:51 am

Ves gives Triss a wary look.

"If you think that would be best. I think you know we couldn't stop you either way. ...So, thanks. For helping, and, you know... Not turning on us at least."

Ves is conflicted.

"A part of me wishes we hadn't released you from that prison, but it is done now. I hope we do not regret that."

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 am

Jaq will retrieve as many undamaged arrows as he can.
He then returns to the others and agrees with Lurn.
"Yes, I think a good rest and recuperation would be in order. How about the room where Triss was being held? It has a door and can easily enough be closed and I doubt anything will bother us there. I only need a few hours of rest and then I can watch while the rest of you sleep."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:05 am

"Is it gonna lock again? We could also just go back outside, so Triss isn't... er.. tempted?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:23 am

"It is lockable from the outside, you are right...Not certain who might lock it on us, but that would be bad. Maybe outside is better."
Last edited by NotStickFigures on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.