Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 am ((Okay, when would Ves start looking for a place to climb out? If at all?))
((I thought that based on her previous rolls, she'd determined it was best / easiest to keep walking up the crevasse for a few hours rather than keep crossing the up and down country. Or did I completely misunderstand something...?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Kroshav and Jaq play what is almost certainly the most one-sided game of hide and go seek this ravine has ever seen. Kroshav isn't even looking in the right direction and even if he had been there would have been no way of spotting the elf in a tangle of branches and roots along the ground near a wall. Seems Jaq has a bright future in hiding in the woods.

Ves returns from her 'reconnoitering' and silently packs up the rope. Jolly watches Kroshav and Jaq without moving from where he slumped. He then follows Ves' actions with a tired expression, his eye flickering to Joe, before turning to face north. He remains like this until Ves calls everyone back together to begin heading northwest up the ravine.

((It is potentially faster for longer than a couple hours. Problem is Ves doesn't know the character of the terrain to the north beyond what she can see now, but at a minimum it would save time for about a day if the terrain remains as rough as it has been. After a day, if the crevasse is even that long, the northwest heading would start making the path less and less attractive even with the faster travel.

Totally wasn't clear on that, sorry. It'll be a guess by Ves based on limited information no matter what.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:30 pm

That's fine, I just wasn't sure with all the chat about climbing out of it again :lol:

We're staying inside it, and will follow until it seems like it's not worth it anymore.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:54 pm

((The whole climbing out stuff seemed to be preemptive in nature. Also definitely confusing.))

Ves leads the party up the ravine. They see more or less the same things as when they entered, natural debris and shear walls. In many places other, far more narrow, ravines connect from both sides to the one the party is heading down .

After a several more hours, and lunch, the ravine begins to noticeably slant upwards and get wider as the height of the walls decreases from up to 90 feet to only 60 feet. By the time evening comes and darkness begins to fall the ravine has widened to more than 150 feet while the walls on the north side are at most 45 feet. Both sides of the ravine are riddled with smaller cuts likely made by water flowing into it.

((What are you doing now? Spending the night in the ravine or climbing out? Anyone want do anything/ inspect something while you walked?))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:23 pm

((The climbing out stuff I think was just to make sure that we were making full use of what Lurn can offer and make it less of a clusterfork when we do.))

Kroshav is occasionally pointing at rocks that definitely aren't Jaq. He otherwise is just waiting to be told what comes next.

((If we take a long lunch, ie, short rest, then Joe can roll HD.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:33 pm

Knowing that they will have to climb out of here eventually, Ves will keep an eye out for easy climbing places as they walk. She'll take a little more arduous walking over risking Joe's neck again. She'll also be sure that the next time they climb, both Jolly and Joe have a second rope-harness tied around them in case either fall. She knows full well it was stupid of her to forget that the first time...

Saying that, if there's nothing super easy en route as yet, she'll be happy to wait till tomorrow since the ravine is shallowing out.

Survival for looking for a climbing spot: 1d20+5 = [1] = 6
Survival for looking for a camping spot (whenever it's needed): 1d20+5 = [2] = 7

Well, fork.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:46 am

Maybe it was the near miss earlier but no where looks safe to climb up. If anything the walls look even more crumbly than before, even if they aren't as high. Best to see what tomorrow brings when people are fully recovered.

As it gets darker she decides one spot is as good as anywhere else and just picks a spot by the north wall and a big rock. It will be clearly visible to anyone/thing looking into the ravine but not much to be done about that. Not really any way of gathering food for everyone down there though. Least there is plenty to burn.

((Can I get perception rolls from the standard watches please.

Lurn on first, Ves on second and Jaq on third and fourth.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:29 am

1d20+7 = [18] = 25

Lurn still has plenty of perishables to contribute to food, I think. (I don't know how much is eaten at each meal, and don't think there was very precise amounts when given, so I haven't changed that, though.)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:50 am

((At this point point Lurn is out of fresh bread and veggies. What wasn't eaten would be well on its way to rotting by now. Except the wine.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:51 am

Joe is going to sleep throughout the whole night, still a bit sore from the fall.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:10 am

As Lurn takes the first watch he is very aware of his exposed position and keeps an excellent vigil. For the most part things are exceptionally quiet in the ravine so he is immediately alerted by the sounds of movement up on the lip of the ravine just before he is going to turn over watch to Ves.

Squinting up he doesn't see anything in the darkness but he is sure whatever is up there can definitely see them. Guessing by the noise and it's locations there are more than one whatever up there. Probably more than three or four.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:45 am

((Removing those from my inventory list, then.))

Lurn continues to watch and listen for a while longer. If he can't work out anything more, he moves to wake Ves, "There's something up at the top of the ridge. A good few of them. Don't know what, so keep an eye out on watch."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:49 am

Lurn is pretty certain he hears loud whispers.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:00 am

Ves nods and rolls quietly onto her feet and listens.

Perception: 1d20+4 = [13] = 17

((Does she recognise the language?))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:48 am

It's hard to say for sure at this distance but it sounds...maybe like goblin or something similar. Ves is pretty sure she hears the word 'idiots' a couple times.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:20 am

"Sounds like goblins. ...For real this time. They're saying something about idiots. Wake everyone up and have them take cover."

Ves gives Lurn a chance to move to the others, then in goblin, shouts up:
"OI! I know you're up there! Show yourselves if you're friendly. Got trade if you want it. Otherwise, piss off or I'll have the elf fill you with arrows."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:29 am

There is a hush followed by more loud whispering then a reedy voice shouting,
► Show Spoiler
Another similar voice shouts,
► Show Spoiler
Then another,
► Show Spoiler
More loud whispering follows. Angry whispering.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:46 am

By this point Kroshav is on his feet, javelin at the ready, but looking to Ves for instructions.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:35 am

"They say they want to trade and have us surrounded. Spread out, take cover and ready your ranged weapons. If anyone shoots at me, shoot them back."

In goblin:
"I have good leather and meat. What do you have?"

Ves pulls out the roll of leather hide and some of their meat-rations (salted meat / jerky) to show them.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:11 pm

The whispers stop as Ves yells the starts again slowly rising in volume until a meaty thwack is head. Shortly after The third voice says,
► Show Spoiler
The second voice, now clearly moved from the location of the third, yells,
► Show Spoiler
Everyone can now hear movement in a few different places along the top of the ravine wall only to the north.

The first voice is noticeably silent this exchange.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:16 pm

Kroshav and his javelin are trained on the direction sounds are coming from.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:18 pm

((So, northeast and up ;)))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:20 pm

In goblin:
"Some. But I'm not showing it to you until you tell what YOU've got for me. Send someone down. You can share the fire and we'll all have a nice chat."

To the group:
"So far they're talking trade. Keep your guard up, but don't attack unless we're attacked."

In goblin:
"Show me your marks! What clan are you?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:23 pm

"Sure... no problem..", Kroshav hisses in a forced casual tone.

He makes sure his shield is in place and lowers the tip of his javelin.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:28 pm

"Oh don't worry, this could still go to shit REALLY fast."