Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:12 am

Joe thanks Kroshav and gives him her tent and her rope (20 lb and 10 lb respectfully).

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:18 am

((assuming Joe prestitdigitates the mud off)):

Ves packs up the books into her pack and looks to the others.

"All right. We ready to move out?"

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:00 pm

Jaq is ready to move on once he is cleaned up. “We also found some bottles filled with something. We’ll have to investigate to figure out what the liquid is.”

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:20 pm

"Let me know what I can do to help."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:03 pm

"Give me a moment to examine the liquid. Am I allowed to uncork the bottle?"
Invoking Guidance, the firbolg examines the liquid, investigating whether it seems to be a medicine or poison, taking a sniff if he's told he can uncork it.
Medicine: 1d20+7+1d4 = [8] = 18

"Over the night I will prepare Detect Poison, until then I advise nobody consume it or touch it."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 pm

“Sure do whatever you need. Tho it may be fragile. If needed I do have other bottles to move them to.”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:30 am

Lurn takes a plain bottle, which has been washed a bit by the rain, and holds it up to the light. The contents are a cloudy red but as he examines it he sees a faint shimmering but some pretty thick brown sediment also gets kicked up. Opening the bottle without breaking it is a bit of a chore but after a minute of working the oddly petrified cork Lurn opens it up and sniffs. It smells vaguely earthy with a slight sourness. Lurn would guess healing potion of some sort. Really, really old healing potion. The other plain bottles look the same. Lurn finds he is unable to get the cork back into the bottle he opened.

The ornamental bottles' liquid changes colors as it swirls but seems to tend towards brown. They have a significant amount of floaty things but Lurn isn't sure if that is normal or not. The bottle opens easily enough but the contents don't smell like anything in particular. He is able to get it recorked and has no idea what is in the ornate bottles.

((Are you opening all eight or just one of each type?))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:38 am

((Oh, there are different types? Uhh... How many of each type are there? If we can't recork them then I don't want to go opening the only bottle of one type.))

"I think this is a healing potion, but... It seems like it's gone bad. Drinking it probably wouldn't be a good idea at all."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests 9 Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:51 am

((6 dodgy health potions and 2 changing color potions. The health potion that was opened couldn't be closed again. How often would Lurn have sniffed health potions to determine what was normal?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:31 am

((He'd not sniff them often, but being as familiar as he is with medicine... I dunno, I imagine he'd be familiar with the scent of common medicines at least, but do potions fall under that category?

As for those other two potions... Since there are only two of those he won't be opening either.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:36 am

((He'd recognize that the health potions smell earthy normally, the faint sour smell is maybe off. They aren't exactly normal medicine but he would have been around when they were used along with medicines.

It went okay to close the one ornamental bottle with color changing contents that was opened.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:27 pm

With everything checked (excepting the HW scroll) and the old, opened healing potion poured into a new container and closed the group finish packing up. Leaving the same way they came in Ves and many of the others cast a glance over there shoulder at the one armed statue of Pelor before heading back to the road.

Ves begins up the road but very quickly the road simply ends. Continuing to move north moss and root covered bricks can be seen here and there but certainly not enough to make up a road. After a few minutes of walking in the steady rain no more bricks can be seen. Trudging forward in the muddy spots between trees and the slick roots Ves needs to make a few path changes to avoid small streams, flowing mostly to the west, that have swollen their banks. She knows they are losing time but it is safer and it isn't a race.

The group has a wet lunch before pressing on. An hour after lunch first Ves and then Jaq start noticing mushrooms. At first they are only clustered in the roots of trees and near the base of their trunks, maybe a bit more often than normal. Then they are in larger, somewhat colorful, patches across the ground. Soon a few are larger than normal, nearly waist height and thick, and the smaller ones are a veritable rainbow of color. At that point everyone has noticed and Jolly nudges Ves and asks,

"Uh? We okay here?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:58 pm

((Oh, if we can close the bottle of the colour-changing liquids just fine then might as well have a sniffof one, though I somehow doubt it will help with anything. XD))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:33 pm

((See above post on what it smelled like. Lurn okay with the mushrooms?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:57 pm

((Somehow I completely missed that the second type was reference in that initial post. XD Okay, so yeah, Lurn has no clue what the colour potions are.

As for the mushrooms... I mean, Not much to think of them except what Jolly already does. Big mushrooms are kinda strange, but no need to panic yet.))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:02 am

((No worries, I miss things constantly :D.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:52 am

((Ves is cautious enough that she probably wouldn't have traveled too far into a first that was so full of mushrooms unless she thought it was a normal as seeing the trees. Let's see what she knows about mushrooms anyway:

Nature check: 1d20 = [20] = 20 ))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:08 am

((The mushroom situation happened in about 500 ft. The seriously noticable shrooms only in the last fifty or so.))

Ves stops and considers the colorful and large mushrooms. She doesn't recognize the species but they are almost certainly not edible. She knows some pop and spray toxic spores but these are clearly not that type. She'd say they are just mushrooms and aren't likely going to pose a problem.

More generally the mushrooms likely indicate this area is wetter and has more nutrition in the soil. The former is hard to tell after two days of rain and Ves is no farmer to confirm the latter.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:28 am

"Yeah. These are just mushrooms. The ones that give off spores and stuff are different. Might still want to cover your face in case we run into the spore ones further in. Oh! And don't eat these!"

Ves pulls a bandana out of a pocket and ties it around her neck ready to pull over her face should she spot anything with spores.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:34 am

Joe takes a closer look at the potion, swirling it around and trying to determine what it is.

When coming across the more colourful shrooms it reminds her of the potion she just looked at, wondering if they might be magical in nature.
Arcana for potion [1d20+4] = 9+4 = 13 Arcana for rainbow shrooms [1d20+4] = 6+4 = 10

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:50 am

That the potion varies between colors is helpful in determining what it is isn't rather than what it is. Most potions she's heard of and seen have very distinct features, for instance this one probably isn't a potion of climbing, animal friendship, love, healing, strength or clairvoyance. Unless after a couple thousand years one of them starts changing color?

The mushrooms are colorful but, as far as she can tell, are unrelated to the potion. They seem to just be mundane mushrooms that have a bit of color and grown as big as she is.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:31 pm

Jaq will go out of his way to not step on any mushrooms.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:34 pm

"It still seems strange that they grow so large. How would the soil be so fertile as to support them?"
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:09 am

Jaq tries to remember some stories his mother used to tell him when he was very young about her travels throughout the lands and if anything had to do with big mushrooms or the fey lands.

History [url=https://poke-roller.herokuapp.com/rolls/2658]1d20+1 = [17] = 18 [/url

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:10 pm

As the group walks forward, most everyone avoiding the colorful mushrooms, Jaq considers what his mother told him about the fey. He doesn't remember anything specific to colorful, large mushrooms but based on some of her other stories she told it's entirely possible. Just looking around himself now he doesn't really feel or see the differentness supposedly present in the fey.

After another two hundred feet of increasing mushroom sizes (but not count) Ves, and then the others, start noticing white/greyish brown... something sprayed on the trees and mushrooms. It is possible it was on the ground but the rain has washed it away if it was.

((Perception check please))