Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
thinkslogically
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Once the big giant bones are gone, Ves will suggest moving down the stairs, taking point, with Jaq maybe, since she has sneaky boots and darkvision. She'll suggest the others follow a couple of dozen feet behind, so any attention is maybe deflected a bit away from the pair of them.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:07 pm

Kroshav lends his strength to aid in whatever Lurn says is the best way to deal with the remains. After that's accomplished, he does what Ves asks.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:17 pm

Plan sounds good.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:37 am

((Aye, just clearing out the giant bones then going along with Ves sounds fine.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:04 am

((Can I get a sneak roll for Jaq and Ves along with a perception roll for them. Ves has advantage on the sneak roll.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:41 am

Stealth 1d20+8 = [4] = 12
Perception 1d20+2 = [7] = 9

(I'm saving good rolls for combat, apparently)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:26 am

God damnit 😂

Stealth: 2d20k1+2 = [4, 4] = 6

Perception: 1d20+4 = [10] = 14

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:57 am

By mid-afternoon the party has burnt most of the bones from the skeletons that only a few hours before were unnaturally mobile. A few bits of bone remain scattered around the floor of the larger ruin but not enough to constitute a full skeleton. The pool remains silent and nothing emerges from it while the cleanup happens, though no one forgets about its presence. In the process of dragging out bones the party notice that the two guard skeleton’s gear is in good shape and is potentially useable. Both had a short sword, a shield and chainmail. The chainmail is made from a dark metal.

After a brief discussion of what their next step should be Ves recommends checking out the large stairs down into whatever this place has for a basement together with Jaq. Jaq agrees and the others wait at the top of the stairs as the pair walk down into the darkness. Ves, unfortunately, manages to kick a loose rock down the stairs into the darkness where it clacks loudly into the darkness ahead of them.

From the top of the stairs the stone floor of the cellar is just visible but once the pair take a few steps forward they disappear from the view of those above.

It takes a moment for the pair’s eyes to adjust to the darkness but soon they can see they are in a relatively small, square room (45’ by 45’). Nothing is moving and with the small amount of light coming down the stairs they can see the walls to the south (where the stairs enter), east and west are completely unadorned but appear to be made out of a smooth, white stone. The floor seems to be made from the same stone. The north wall of the room, unlike the other walls, has markings covering nearly all of it that are difficult to make out in the gloom. What is more interesting about the north wall are the two large piles of stacked bones on either side and partially around a 3’ tall stand, which also appears to be made from bone. On the stand something with a thin 2.5' shaft and a roundish object on top has been placed standing (shaft down), but they would need to move closer to determine exactly what it is as it seems to have been specifically placed to receive as little light as possible.

The rest of the party slowly begin their descent, though none of them can see much past the first few feet into the room.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:06 am

"We need some light?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:21 am

"Yes, if something is down here, we aren't being very quiet anyhow, so we can use the light, and you might as well join us. And I don't see anything moving, just lots more bone piles."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:46 pm

Ves casts Light on one of the stones built into the ceiling near the north of the room if they're not too big to cast on.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Squinting into the darkness, Ves picks out a ceiling stone across the room and causes it to glow brightly. The illumination from the stone chases away the darkness for her and Jaq's eyes but large portions of the room remain in deep shadow to the other members of the party. Despite the lingering darkness everyone can now clearly see most of the north wall and the stand, which is clearly an altar.

Upon the altar a mace looking object has been placed and it looks to be standing without support. More disturbingly, the head of the mace is a human skull pierced, from the inside, by no less than a dozen thick nails (i.e. pointy side out). The skull is oriented so its empty sockets face the stairs and the party. Around the altar, bones have been stacked in a semi-circle and on the wall behind it unrecognizable symbols have been scrawled from ceiling to floor with a dark ink.

((Intelligence roll from Joe and Ves.

And if anyone is taking the stuff from the skellie guards let me know/update your sheet.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Joe scans the room carefully as she heads down, careful of where she steps. She looks at the skull and gives a scrowl, not happy that it nor the graffiti is there. ”Ah think we need ta destroy this here alt’r but Ah donnae know tha best way ta do it.”

Investigat[1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16 int roll [1d20+2] = 9+2 = 11

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:25 pm

Definitely... Weird.

Int: 1d20 = [12] = 12

((Ves isn't taking anything))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:40 pm

Both Ves and Joe would place he altar here directly under the pool above, or at least very close to it.

From where she stands at the base of the stairs Joe doesn't see anything more out of the ordinary... The east, west and south walls are all pretty shadowy for her but look smooth. The north wall was probably the same before it was redecorated. Even to her trained archeological eye it is unclear what the original purpose of the room could have been but it was almost certainly not this.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:43 pm

((Did Joe or anyone check if guard gear was magic? Mundane versions wouldn't be better than what I have, and Jolly is already geared up past his skill level.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:44 pm

((No, but there was plenty of time for Joe to do that if she wanted. If Kroshav would want to examine the metal I would give him advantage, unfortunately it's still an intelligence roll ;) .))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:22 pm

Jaq did not take any of the items. If we find nothing else to take down here, he will suggest we carry what we can without overloading ourselves, so that we can re-sell it later.

"If we move that mace, I suggest we try to first do it from a distance. Does someone have magic that can do that? Or we could tie something to it and then pull it from a distance. It just seems SO much like a trap."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:50 pm

Lurn will cast Detect Magic to examine the skeleton guards' equipment (Firbolg Magic). Once they're downstairs... Activate Eyes of the Grave, then move to 30' from the altar, so that Detect Magic will reach it.
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 am

The guards' swords and shields are mundane but the armor emits a soft glow of abjuration magic.

Moving down the stairs nothing seems magical (beyond what you're carrying) until you approach the altar. Eyes of the grave detects no undead about but detect magic reveals a thick, pulsing funnel of powerful magic extending up to (or coming down from) the ceiling. The funnel appears to be a twisting combination of oily, necrotic magic mixed with conjuration magic that narrows to the size of the nail filled skull before expanding to a 10 foot in diameter circle when it reaches the ceiling.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:47 am

"The armour here bears Abjuration magic, which may mean they are warded for better protection, but I have little trust for it."

Seeing the magic around the altar, Lurn frowns deeply, "Gods, this is an unsettling thing. Necrotic and Abjuration magic are working together here, connecting that... 'mace' to the pool above. I don't know whether this is powering the pool, or the pool powering it, or something else, but it bodes poorly... If nobody has any thoughts, I suggest we all keep a distance and place an arrow or bolt into that mace, see if it is possible to topple it and disrupt this whole ordeal."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:57 am

((I wrote the wrong school of magic, it is conjuration not abjuration on the funnel.

Also a religion check with advantage from Lurn and a normal check from Kroshav please.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:08 am

It's certainly unsettling.

Religion:1d20-2 = [18] = 16
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:33 am

Kroshav clearly recognizes the mace as the symbol of the demon lord Orcus and even manages to remember that Orcus seeks dominion over all souls and that his followers tend to be undead creatures. Definitely not on friendly terms with any of the Five for any reason.

((To his friends he is known as the Prince of Undeath.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:43 am

"Uh-oh... I think this whole place is an Orcus worshipping place. Which is bad, he's a demon, and is all about the Undead. Lurn, I'm guessing your god would want us to do whatever we can to stop this. The Five would agree."

((I've been suspecting Orcus for a while! Glad Kroshav was able to catch up!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler