Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 14, 2020 6:40 am

Celus nods, "Ya, thats what I said, right?"

((Is Kroshav going to head off in search of Tarneth or does he have another plan?))
-
The stall keeper gives Jaq a nasty look while Jolly nods looking at the dresses, "But which one and then which scarf? Maybe one that matches her hair? Should they be the same color or? The green one looks nice right?" A couple of minutes of fretting later and Jolly has a dress selected along with a scarf and a wide belt she can hide a knife in, because, "That's something she'd like, right?" A couple minutes of half-hearted haggling from Jolly has him walking away with a dazed expression and a bundle of clothing.

"Ya gettin' anything Jaq?"

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu May 14, 2020 6:56 am

"That's the one! Anyway, let's head off for that camp, then, see if Sir Tarneth has any suggestions."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 14, 2020 7:25 am

”Wha are some o the odd’r thing ye came across? How does un become yer employee?

Wha do ye know about magic’l creatures?”

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 14, 2020 7:39 am

As they head towards the Baylon troops, he's looking at every horse they pass, occasionally calling out, "Charlie?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu May 14, 2020 11:20 am

"Nope, I didn't find anything that fit me right, so I am fine with that I have. We should maybe head back into the town proper and try running into the rest of the group. Oh, yeah, good choices. I think she'll like them."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 14, 2020 1:52 pm

None of the horses look like Charlie but one guy stops and looks confusedly at the golden dragonborn who doesn't seem to be looking for him.

On the edge of the Balyon's camp a trio of soldiers in Balyon colors approach but on seeing Kroshav wave you through. Seems Sir Tarneth has put out the word about Kroshav. Soon enough the small group gets to the modest tent of his mentor but neither Tarneth nor his horse are in evidence. All around Balyon calvary look to be packing up and preparing to leave.
-
"I hope so." Jolly's brow furrows, "Ya could probably get it tailored? Ain't nothing fit me right ever." He looks down at his clothes and realized he needed some replacements of his own. "Give me a minute." He goes of to another couple of stalls and in short order has two new simple gray shirts and a couple pairs of pants.

"Are Indra and Dama done?" He looks around for them but doesn't spot them immediately. "Ya see where they went?" After a couple minutes of looking Dama and Indra find you and are ready to go try and find the others.

"Any ideas where they could be?"
---
The gnome thinks,

"Saw a two headed troll once. That still gives me chills. People become employees by being referred by people I know I can trust. You looking for a job?" His grin gets bigger.

"Magical creatures? Not especially much, what you read in books. I stick to the roads and out of trouble when I can. Better for health and happiness! You suspect something of the sort?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu May 14, 2020 2:10 pm

"Pardon me, do you know where I might find Sir Tarneth?", he'll ask a likely looking calvarymen.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu May 14, 2020 10:22 pm

”Maybeh? Ah dunno.”

“Ah suspect thar maybeh some sort of int’llg’ng creature, possibly mag’c. She had claw marks in ‘er but that did nay do ‘er in, n thar is nay spells Ah can think of tha would just kill ‘er befor’hand, but her blood be fill’d with magic which indic’tes she either used mag’c, had many cast on ‘er, some shoddy mag’c item, o it were a pow’rful spell.”

Joe starts pacing ”’er son n law doesnae know anythin’ about ‘er usin’ magic, items, nor havin’ em cast on her regulary. Now it doesnae make em impossible, but Ah was hopin’ ye’d have more insight abou’ tha?”

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu May 14, 2020 10:42 pm

Kroshav gets the attention of a pair that stop and look questioningly between Lurn, Kroshav and Celus. The one of the pair looks to her companion who simply shrugs so she answers,

"Sir Tarneth is maybe at Captain Brink's tent, helping coordinate our departure. If he is not there the might be at the main command tent with the Duchy's general. If you check with the captain he will know where you find him," She then adds with a warning tone, "If you have a good enough reason for finding him."

After making sure Kroshav and co. aren't just going to leave now she points to a larger tent further into the Balyon camp, "That is the captain's, good luck to you."

They then depart about their business.
---
"Honestly that is too much information." He makes a sour face, "Drinking a potion can fill the blood with magic as well, usually more residual magic for longer than with a spell, honestly." He answers before anyone can ask, "She didn't buy any from me, though."

To Joe's next question he shrugs. "I met her once for less than ten minutes. I don't have a lot to work with on what she did or didn't have for habits - magical or otherwise."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 15, 2020 4:32 am

"I was just raised to paladin in The Fist of the Five under his training, I wanted to see him before he left. Thank you!", Kroshav calls back on his way towards the tent.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri May 15, 2020 6:01 am

The pair give a sign of the Fist, clearly showing their respect before moving on.

Kroshav approaches the tent and spots Sir Tarneth's horse cropping grass nearby and a few guards that perk to alertness at the sight of Kroshav and co. approaching. They stop Kroshav outside the tent, Tarneth's voice carrying easily through the thin walls. One of the guards asks quietly, clearly not wanting to disturb the discussion, about logistics by the sound of it, inside the tent,

"The captain is currently in a meeting. Would you like us to deliver him a message when it concludes?"
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri May 15, 2020 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 15, 2020 6:12 am

He'll make a fist back in response as he heads off.

----

"I'm actually here to see Sir Tarneth, but I can wait."

He'll go wait over by Sir Tarneth's horse, letting it nuzzle him and scratching it behind the ears.

"Hey (horse's name), sorry, don't have any treats for you! Don't suppose you've seen Charlie about, have you? We got separated and joined the army in different squads! Trying to find him before he gets marched off somewhere else.", he'll mutter affectionately to Sir Tarneth's mount.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri May 15, 2020 6:28 am

"Hmm, where they could be...good question, I'm assuming they are temple hopping, but we really should have named a place to meet up. All else fails, we can just linger around whatever main town square they have here and wait for them to find us."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri May 15, 2020 2:41 pm

The guard nods, "Don't know how long it will be."

Tarneth's horse snuffles Kroshav before returning to eating grass, not responding in any appreciable way to Kroshav laying out the dilemma. Celus strikes up a conversation with one of the guards.

Half hour later Tarneth and a few others leave the tent, on seeing Kroshav the old paladin brightens,

"Kroshav! Thank the Five! You saved me the trouble of tracking you down tonight before I leave in the morning."

He gives Kroshav a firm hug, his limp almost undetectable now.

"What are you about this afternoon?" He takes not of Lurn lurking nearby.
-
Indra suggests,

"Maybe at the square by the bridge? Or at the temple they removed your arm? There are a couple of squares to go through."

Dama ignores Jaq's question and asks Jolly,

"What you got in that bundle there?" Jolly casually slides it away from her while eyeing a bundle she is carrying before responding, "Some shirts."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 pm

Kroshav returns the hug, bringing his mentor up to speed on getting released from the army, Malik and asking the High Cleric's aid.

"Wanted to make sure I saw you before you left, I think my squadmates are going to stay in town a bit before heading out. I want to find Charlie, and then the son of the farmer we left him with got conscripted into that squad that got wiped almost all the way out. Not sure if we can return his son's body to him, but I at least want to bring him word."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri May 15, 2020 5:44 pm

"Ah donnae know. Possibly from a smart creature. Ah am nay sure wha happ'n'd..."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri May 15, 2020 6:07 pm

Lurn gives Tarneth a respectful nod, "Good day to you, sir Tarneth."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri May 15, 2020 6:32 pm

"Oh! Lurn had another arm when you met him last, but other than that, getting Jaq cured went well.
He's got a little baby arm, but we'll get him back up to full strength soon. And you've met Celus before too."

Kroshav will give a colorful account of the arms and axes and demon shadows.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm

Celus waves from his ongoing chat with the guard and Tarneth listens intently. He acknowledges Lurn with a smile and nod, along with a quick glance at the missing arm and a whispered,

"Did they mistake the firbolg for the elf?"

Before it is explained.

"I am not in a position to help with the conscript, but the High Priest of Pelor may be? You've had a productive few days as a paladin of the Five, more so than mine were! I wish you luck with finding Charlie, and whatever you can on the son. How can I help you my boy? I am only here until tomorrow but I will gladly aid your endeavors, good works, my boy!"
---
The gnome smiles and shakes his head,

"Not really my area of expertise. As I wished Sir Ghram luck, I wish you! May I return to my nap?"

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun May 17, 2020 5:06 am

”...Hmm. Are ye in contact woth someun tha can know more about mag’c o monst’rs?”

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun May 17, 2020 5:27 am

"Yeah, I talked to High Cleric Hawes, she's going to see what can be done."

Kroshav ponders.

"Not sure what help I could ask of you with Charlie and the son, when I got back this morning -- I stayed the night with Jaq at Kelemvor's place -- things were bit rushed and I forgot to take care of those things before we got let go. Then they told us not to wander back into the Duchy's camp. I'll figure it out. Oh... I know it's putting the gear before the horse, but do you know any among the cavalry looking to sell some gear? Looking for a saddle good for fighting from and maybe a lance?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 am

Tarneth nods with understanding,

"It has been a busy week for everyone. If you want in to the Duchy's camp I can likely secure you a pass, but you would need a concrete reason for being there. Your reason would be to look for Charlie and information on the fallen conscript? Finding out what happened to the conscript will be easily enough done as long as you know their name and where they were from. You know the squad he was in, right? Probably wouldn't even need to enter the camp proper." He looks north to the Duchy camp, "But how to get you to Charlie and then get you out with him. Hmm. Well the first thing would be to find him, which a pass to inspect the horses would get you."

He answers Kroshav's question by waving over a human Balyon soldier standing a respectful distance away, "Kroshav this is Girn, Girn this is Kroshav, a paladin of the Fist. Kroshav is interested in purchasing some gear from Balyon."

Girn gives Kroshav a salute and says, "A pleasure sir. I understand that we have saddles and lances recovered from the fallen mounts and riders during the battle. I can check with the quartermaster now and see if they can be purchased and return? Or we can check it now if you'd like. They are just over there." He points to a busy couple of wagons with soldiers and horses milling around a few hundred feet away.
---
"Not currently, no. These," he gives an expansive gesture encompassing the camp and village, "Are the only people I am in contact with lately!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 18, 2020 4:06 am

"Had a name that reminded me of a rainy day... uh, a color... oh! Grey! But we met the squad's officers before that, on the road. Fink and... Lurn, do you remember the other officer's name? The only other one that survived?"

Kroshav returns Girn's salute.
"Are you heading back to your tent, Sir?", he asks his mentor.

"I can check out the gear with Girn and meet you back there?"
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 am

Tarneth looks in the direction of his tent and nods,

"That'd be good. I need to get my few things ready to go." His face breaks into a sunny grin, "Should take me all of five minutes. Also need to make a visit to the woods. Think on the name of the officer, that'd get us to right unit name and we'll see what happened to this Grey."

He heads off leaving Kroshav to guide the dragonborn to the wagons where he gets the attention of a woman sorting things on a wagon and explains Kroshav's needs. The woman narrows her eyes and looks Kroshav up and down before saying in clipped common,

"You are a big one! I can sell you saddle and lance. Balyon calvary quality is best there is. Not be cheap but you a paladin of the Fist so we maybe make a deal."

She rummages around and sets three saddles with slightly different designs up for Kroshav to inspect and lays down a half dozen lances for inspection. The saddles are all marked in the colors of the Balyon Republic and have a cavalry cut, meaning they are made for speed and not the comfort of the rider. The lances are standard lances, again in the Republic's colors.

((You can inspect them if you like, ask about them or simply choose and she will give you a price.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon May 18, 2020 6:13 am

Kroshav will look them over, testing out the saddles to find the one most suited to his dragonborn backside. He'll look over the lances, giving them a heft and holding them out as he would in use, making sure that they are good workmanship.

Once he's settled on which he's interested in, he'll ask the price.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler