Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:29 am

Kroshav enters the big tent to help Lurn and the others rushing around providing help to the injured. Lurn jumps right to the task and without much direction, providing the aid he can. Kroshav has a harder time and he accidently bandages the wrong limb on an unconscious soldier, three separate times. It's just so hard with skin, it all looks unhealthy compared to scales!

Kroshav is directed out of the tent by the surgeon, who is polite enough not to yell him out.
---
Joe squints at the tree and scrapes at it's bark with her nail revealing normalish looking gray brown wood underneath. Sniffing her nail she detects a faint mold smell. Pushing on the trunk reveals a slight give and a dusting of black powder falls on her hand and the ground and leaves a faint outline of her hand print on the trunk. She is no tree expert but this one is probably dead or really sick.

Looking around the base of the tree she spies a spot where it seems someone has rubbed some of the black stuff off up to her height near where the unused snares were stashed.

((Anything else there or moving on? Ves still has a great idea where the trail is heading.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm

Ves nods at Joe, and helps collect the snares, satisfied that the trail was mostly for hunting. Seeing Joe has found the black powder marker, she takes a closer look to try and see what the powder is.

Nature: 1D20 = [17] = 17

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:03 am

Ves recognizes it as a common mold that grows on trees. That this standing tree is covered in the black mold, and this much of it, is odd but likely means the tree has something wrong with it. None of the nearby trees appear to be affected by whatever is happening to this one and seem healthy enough.

The mold doesn't have any medical uses to Ves's knowledge and it is quite bitter so definitely not something to be added for flavoring in food. It does make bark even more slippery when it gets wet.
----
((In the army group Lurn is working in the medical tent and gets to skip the watch. Kroshav and Jaq are counted in the 'injured' category and also can skip the watch to rest/do whatever they want. Are they doing anything? Is Lurn doing anything after they send him to get some rest?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:04 am

((Nope, he'll just be working in the medical tent until he's told to go, then resting for a bit.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:53 am

Jaq keeps rather quiet. He will rest and recuperate as much as he can, hoping for a good nights trance.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:37 am

Ves shrugs and wipes her hands clean on her tunic.

"Ready to move on?"

If Joe agrees, they'll move onwards following the map.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:21 am

"Do ye think they stored anythin' in tha dead tree? Seems a bit off n dead trees provide space ta hide stuff." Joe rechecks the tree for holes before following Ves.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:34 am

The tree does have some nature looking holes but they are quite small, far to small for even Joe to get a hand into. Turning she follows Ves away from the tree.

The pair reach the third landmark another ten minutes later, a clearing with a smallish (45ftx30ft) murky pool, without incident. The trail leads straight to the pool before moving around its lip into a small gap into a thick briar patch on the pool's northern side. To Ves's eye there are signs animals use this pool for water, but not many. The pool isn't particularly deep (between 5 and 10ft) and she can see most of its muddy bottom without getting too close. A variety of insects dart above the pool.

((Roll me a perception for Joe and Ruby as well, if she would be looking around.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:16 pm

Kroshav will just join the rest of the squad and hang out with them.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:17 pm

((Someone in the army group roll me a d20.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:30 pm

Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:01 am

The evening comes quickly for those in the camp, Kroshav keeping Jaq company as the elf holds the magic box in his blackened hand. Jolly, Celus and Jesp are there with as they all took some damage during the day. Jolly is the best off the group and Celus drifts off to sleep shortly after his wounds have been tended. Jesp's eyes look a bit puffy and red but he chats with those that are awake until he too drifts off. Shortly after dinner the uninjured members of the team are sent out on watch, Arbelm with them despite her injuries and not having had a chance to rest as she runs around.

Things begin to calm down in the medical tent after dinner and Lurn is sent back to his squad with the thanks of the surgeon. At the fire he finds only the injured individuals eating the same thing they got for lunch and Jolly rises and gets him a bowl and some bread disks. Jolly and Jesp doze off an hour after sunset and an hour later the rest of the squad come and lay down for the night, except Arbelm who moves off to the command tent. She returns after midnight and sinks wearily down by the fire and falls asleep with an uneaten bowl of soup in her hands.

((Anyone wanting to stay up and keep watch? Can I get a wisdom save and a con save from Jaq please.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:14 am

Jaq will do his trance as soon as it is time to sleep and then he will keep watch after he awakens.

Wisdom Save: 1D20 = [12] = 12

Con Save: 1D20 = [19] = 19

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:22 am

Somewhat unsettled by the day's events and his own failures, Lurn stays up for a while keeping an eye on their surroundings, but with the security of the camp around, is eventually lulled to sleep.

perception;constitution: 1D20+7 = [7]+7 = 14
1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

(Con for testing how long he lasts)
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:28 am

((A 13 to stay awake would get you past when you would be able to get a long rest so let's just stay up right until you wouldn't get it before Lurn fades.))

Lurn is the last to doze off, secure in the large numbers of alert soldiers moving everywhere he can see.

Jaq trances, box still in hand...
► Show Spoiler
And blinks open his eyes several hours later feeling much better.

Celus is already up stretching in the predawn light. He gives Jaq a friendly nod as he moves off a short distance to train with his sword. The rest of the squad slowly awaken. Arbelm startles awake, eats her old, half spilled soup and directs Fend and Jesp to get some breakfast going before heading off towards the command tent. Soon enough there is warm porridge with a bit of sugar for everyone.

((New day! for the army team... and 18 hours earlier for the other team.

Army team, you have a bit now in the morning. Doing anything?

Forest team, still waiting on the perception rolls.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:52 am

Kroshav checks on the wounded in his squad, and gets everyone started on some training, but not looking to tire them out in case a fight is needed later.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:18 am

Jaq, having a decent night's rest, has a bit more bounce in his step.
He will seek out Lurn. "The curse didn't really affect me last night, which is good. I got the needed rest and I am feeling better today. Less sluggish. It was even affecting my ability to hide decently in battle. Weird what lack of good rest can do. Anyway. What I'm wondering, How much do you think your temple would charge for removing a curse? I'm guessing it would be nearly the same cost at most temples, no? I'm just hoping I have enough to cover the cost when the time comes."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:54 pm

A check of the injured shows they are healing quickly, none more than tender from the previous day's wounds.

Celus is more than willing to start leading some training, as best he can. Jolly and Indra join along with nearly everyone else, practicing various different techniques. The inexperienced conscripts mostly just try not to stab themselves or their neighbors.

The archers don't join in the general training as they move off to shoot at what's left of the stump nearby, Dama showing off her new longbow.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:56 pm

Ves is content to continue onwards, unless Joe wants to investigate anything special.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Lurn nods at Jaq's note of how a lack of sleep can affect you; he at least knew that eventually not sleeping would lead to death, but there was no need to bring that up. "Cost, is it? Well, you were cursed in combating one of my order's enemies, so I believe a temple to Kelemvor would ask no fee, so long as I can explain to them the circumstance, and maybe if only you can. Any other temples... To remove a powerful curse, a couple hundred gold, I suppose? One to three hundred? I can't say for sure, being that I was never part of the curse removal process, and cost may vary based upon the cost of reagents needed. But worry not, if it is a costly temple that we find first, I will contribute; I have with me coin to make a hundred gold's value, and will offer them all for you. At most only another two hundred are needed."

The discussion done, Lurn moves to join in with the training, itching to head back to the medical tent, but knowing he shouldn't go without leave, and should still hone his combat ability.
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:56 pm

Jaq nods while listening to Lurn attentively. He states, “Thanks my friend. I guess I need to stop worrying so much about this until a time I can actually do something about it.”
He goes to join the archer team training.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:19 pm

Joe is careful as they go twoards the treasure, investigating the scene with Ruby’s help.

Investigation w adv [1d20+4] = 12+4 = 16[1d20+4] = 9+4 = 13

(I got one more exam in two days. Sorry for slow responses)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:41 am

As the training winds down as the day begins to warm up and Arbelm returns to the squad. The corporal doesn't greet the squad as her eyes are on fixed on something to the north. There is a flash and soldiers start to appear near where you know the circle is and then scatter. Her gaze moves to scan the heavily guarded edges of the forest to the east and west of the circle. After a long pause the soldiers stop coming through and begin to immediately spread out. Nodding to herself Arbelm signals she wants to address the group.

"Command is concerned that more patrols like the one that attacked yesterday will attempt to circumvent us and attack the lightly defended villages to the west to spread our focus. As a result of some deliberation our orders from yesterday have been changed. Rather than marching east with the soldiers we are to immediately head east into the forest, moving slightly to the north as we parallel the road. We are to make contact with one of the scout groups north of Narmyr this evening for further orders." She lets that settle in before adding, "The camp of the hobs we encountered yesterday had been abandoned by the time our forces arrived, they estimated there had been perhaps thirty or forty individuals there."

She then directs Jesp and Dama to head to the quarter master and collect the supplies needed while she has everyone else begin readying themselves to go.

((Anything before you head out?))
---
Ves, Joe and Ruby follow the trail into the meadow. All things considered it is a pretty nice spot on a late summer afternoon. As they approach the pond Joe notices that it appears to have grown a bit from what is probably its normal size based on the amount of grass and weeds under the water, which would make sense considering the recent rain storm. It also probably explains why the trail goes right beside its edge rather than a few feet away. With Ves leading the way they edge along the pond. Joe takes the chance to look into the water and Ruby helps by peering in lazily. Neither spot anything of interest on its muddy bottom.

Right as they are beginning to curve around the pond to head into the tall thorn bushes the bottom of the pond seems to move and a spray of water drenches the trio. Ruby has time to let out half a hiss as a giant toad bursts from the pool and gobbles him up. The toad then gets what can only be described as a confused look on its wide face.
Map:
► Show Spoiler
((Poor Ruby. Roll initiative! If you roll above an 8 you can go ahead and take your action.))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:03 am

"For the better that we didn't wait until the target rejoined that camp before attacking, then. As it is we at least denied them the mage and managed to off a few others at the same time. Clerics and the ogres would be hard losses, and resurrection uses enough materials that it can't be done for all of them. If we'd waited, there'd have been no chance against that camp, even if it was only thirty."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:10 am

Arbelm gives a neutral answer,

"It was better to inflict some damage back, I agree. Had we had our full squad thirty could have been reasonable but not against only five."