Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:04 am

Lurn rolls his eyes as Jolly gives him the news, moving over to sit beside Ves as he speaks quietly, so that she can weigh in, "It would be best to tell the proprietress. A person turns up dead, the new folks in town will be suspects. Especially you, as the last to leave. We report the matter, and maybe we don't have an angry mob chasing us..."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:45 am

Jolly follows and looks mostly offended,

"Didn't do anything. Fella didn't answer me so...well ya."

He clears his throat,

"Ya want to tell her?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:44 am

Ves lands forward and whispers to Lurn only:
"Jaq was alone in that room before any of us got there. Still, I figure that people who've died out of turn might follow your interests, so I'll tell the others and let you tell the proprietress."

Ves stands up and stands by the door to the hall, waiting for Lurn to tell the woman what happened.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:16 am

Lurn nods and moves to catch the proprietress' attention, speaking when his words won't be overheard by other patrons, "I have just been told that one of your patrons in the common bunk is unresponsive, thought to possibly be dead. For the moment I will keep this quiet for the sake of your business, but as a cleric I wish to examine the person in question, and ask that a local with knowledge of medicine be called to do likewise. Being that I am an outsider, I understand my involvement may not be wished for, but it also means that I may be able to recognise something, and for that reason I ask that you allow me to take part in the examination."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:22 am

Ves will tell the others to join her, and tell them each quietly. She'll also be watching the for individual reactions to the news (especially Jaq).

Insight: 1D20+5 = [7]+5 = 12

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:50 am

Jaq doesn't react much at all when told the news. After he states, "This could go a few ways. They might want to investigate which will hold us up, and make us suspects, well, because we probably are the most easy to be the culprits. Or, this could be a traveler and they don't know them and they will not care less. Or he might have just died of well, disease or something. Guess we'll have to see."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:00 am

The tiefling woman looks startled both from the information and Lurn's desire to be part of the check but holds up her hand to Lurn and calls over the half elven girl.

She whispers to her, and Lurn can overhear,

"Got a cold one upstairs. Going to check it out with this fellow. Have Hok go and get his mum."

She scans the room which has emptied to just the party and a half dozen others.

"Have him get the dwarf too. You can handle breakfast for a few minutes, yes?"

The girl nods and the tiefling woman turns and heads up the stairs gesturing for Lurn to follow her. Once up she heads to the remaining occupied bed and looks at it's still occupant. She comments dryly, but still softly,

"Going to call this one dead." She pulls back the blanket to reveal a human male in his early thirties. He is laying on his back, eyes closed. At his sides his hands are clutched in tight fists and his face twisted in a grimace. There is no blood visible on his night clothes but based on the smell he voided his bowels.

The tiefling woman lays her hand on his chest. "Still pretty warm. So cleric, what happened?"

---
Ves thinks Jaq's reaction is pretty calculated but isn't exactly suspicious. Jolly seems to have come to terms with the situation and started eating his breakfast.

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:34 am

"I hope to work that out. Sudden and unexplained deaths are hardly desirable to my Lord. At first glance, it could be a number of things. Disease, poison, an old injury, a curse... His expression seems pained, so it seems odd that none were alerted to what happened, unless he was somehow unable to cry out." Muttering a brief incantation to request Guidance, Lurn begins a careful examination of the body, looking for any peculiarities; scratches or scrapes, punctures, old wounds, discoloured skin.

Lurn Medicine + Guidance: 1D20+7+1D4 = [5]+7+[2] = 14
My game:

My characters:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:34 am

Joe looks shocked when she sees the body. She pushes her bowl away, not really feeling hungry anymore. She watches intently was Lurn checks over the body. "Do ye need help? I ain't skill'd in medic'e but n extra pair of eyes cannae hurt ye."

(Joe will offer to use a help action for Lurn

And ninjad

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:41 am

(Apart from cleaning up the voided bowel? :P If Joe is able to offer help, it's appreciated. That gives advantage, right? Second roll if it's allowed: Maybe?: 1D20 = [19] = 19 )
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:51 am

((Joe is downstairs still with Ves, Jaq and Jolly. She would have just found out about the body but wouldn't be able to see it without going upstairs, which would make it hard to help!))

Lurn takes a moment to examine the corpse's visible skin (head, neck, arms and legs below the knees - chest to knees is covered by clothing). The man, human, has numerous scrapes and scratches on his arms and legs but all have scabbed over. There is nothing that looks like a puncture hole but his right shoulder is discolored all the way under his night shirt and his collar bone is definitely broken. His has right cheek as some scraping, but again it looks like it had some time to heal.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:00 am

After being told of the dead fellow, Kroshav nods, finishes his breakfast and moves to join Lurn. He's not made a study of diseases, but through the power granted him by The Five, does know how to recognize it and get rid of it.

Medicine: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:15 am

"Old wounds, large bruising, broken collar bone... It's possible a rib was broken and punctured the lung, but that would usually result in cough blood, and there's no trace... I hope another can find more than I, this sits ill with me."
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:45 am

The tiefling woman startles when the large dragonborn joins them (and Joe?) and takes a step back to allow them to examine the body, "Well here is another."

Kroshav spots everything Lurn and would guess that, based on the injuries, the man likely fell from a horse or maybe a wagon rather than any disease. The man has no broken ribs and the visible damage, while likely painful, was far from lethal. Nothing about the body itself would seem to explain the man's death.

The tiefling woman pops the chest by the cot while the body is examined and pulls out a largish travel pack and a dagger. "Didn't get his full name. Jimry something. Heading east. I guess I get his horse."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:45 am

"I've seen folks fall and get hurt like this... doesn't feel like he's got any busted ribs. Looks like the fall didn't kill him though, so something else must have, I just don't know what. You sent for a medic? We should probably wait for them to get here."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:44 pm

Ves watches the room as they wait for Lurn, Kroshav and the tiefling woman to return, wondering vaguely who the person was and pondering Jaq's cool response.

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:26 pm

"If it was foul play, there was one other person sleeping up there with us, in a private room. They left early. But I only had to sleep a short part of the night and kept pretty alert. I didn't see anything happen." he states. "But I'm not so sure it's great to get mixed up with this. Who knows what the politics are around here. As we've seen in my city. Getting involved where the guards want to be in charge, doesn't always go really well." Jaq shrugs.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:49 pm

After Kroshav and Lurn have been gone a few minutes the serving boy returns with a middle aged woman, whom he strongly resembles, with long black curls. The woman gives the main room a glance before heading up the stairs. Half a minute after that the dwarf from the night before arrives sans armor and with a tired expression. He spots Ves, Jaq and Jolly and heads to them. He looks between the three and says loudly,

"What's this about a dead body? Ye only been here a night!"

---
Upstairs the woman gets the tiefling's attention. The boarding house owner places the travel back in the chest and comes over to the new woman. The two converse briefly in whispers before the new woman moves over to the bed. Conversationally while she checks the body she asks,

"What have the two of ya found then? Did ya know him?"

She gives the body a thorough check and even rolls him on his side before letting him roll back. She pulls up his eye lids and inspects them. She makes a tsking sound before prying open his hands and looking at his bloody nails. She hmms to herself and pulls a strand of hair into her mouth and chews on it. After a minute of thinking she forces open his mouth and looks in as best she can.

"Can one of ya be useful an' fetch a light?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:53 pm

"Never saw him before last night, he was already asleep when we turned in last night... or rather, maybe already dead. Looks like he fell a while ago, but don't think that killed him."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:07 pm

"I dinnae know em. He was out cold when we went ta rest. Do ye think he died 'fore he went ta sleep?" Joe stares at the body, not sure what to do, somewhat worried. "...Was 'e drunk when 'e came in?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:16 pm

The woman shakes her head and answers with a chuckle,

"It's a rare thing to die before ya sleep! Nezza said he was warm when ya found him so he's only been dead a couple hours."

She leans in closer to the open mouth and seems to sniff.

"He had a drink but..."

She straightens and goes and grabs a latern from a wall since no one was going to get it for her. She thrusts it into Kroshav's hands,

"Aim into his mouth, right?"

She opens his mouth again and looks with better light. She gives a satisfied grunt and digs a small leaf fragment stuck on the man's teeth. She holds it up in the light.

"What's he got in his backpack there?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:50 pm

Kroshav complies, shining the lantern into the dead guys's face.

"Dunno, we didn't look."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:06 pm

"A leaf? I know medicines, but not plants, unfortunately, but it seems odd to have such a thing in his mouth through the night." Moving to the end of the bed, Lurn opens the man's pack, checking each item within.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:47 am

The woman pushes the leaf bit towards Kroshav and Lurn,

"That look like fan leaf to ya?" (Nature check)

Lurn opens the bag and pulls out:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:54 am

Invoking Guidance again, Lurn examines the leaf, "I am not overly familiar with plants, despite my training in medicines; I am better with treatment of the body than production of medicines..."
Lurn Nature + Guidance: 1D20+1D4-1 = [13]+[2]-1 = 14

Pulling out the message and container, Lurn raises the two, "It seems to mostly be standard traveling equipment, except these. Your guess is as good as mine for what the liquid is."
My game:

My characters: