Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:07 pm

((He is laying in a cot doing nothing to defend himself? You could drag him out no problem. Tipping the cot would be a strength check. A skinny man he ain't.))

"Oh for fork's sake. GET OUT BEFORE I THROW YOU OUT."

((He actually looks like that now! Weird. ;) ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Joe smells the water and looks at it throughly as she tries to identify what might be contaminating the water. Int: 1D20+2 = [20]+2 = 22
+2 if acrana or investigation.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:29 pm

"Would that mean you'd get out of bed and pay attention to what's happening to this town while you sleep? Great! In fact, why don't you kick me out and report me to your boss... Who was he again? Jin? What's say you and I go and find him, shall we? "

If the guy finally gets up, she'll dodge to keep out of his grip while she comments on how damn quiet this "operational" workshop is, and "I wonder where everyone is?" and "Oh look, there's Jin".

If he doesn't get up, she'll drag him out of bed and make the same irritating comments until he pays better attention.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:48 pm

It smells and looks like water to Joe. That's not definitive though since small amounts of magical compounds can have big effects. There is maybe something very slight in the water but so little it is hard to get any real read on.
----
The man looks at you pleadingly now,

"Oh come on. Ay just wanna sleep. Please just leave me alone. Jin ain't me boss, just the funnel that works morning shift." He looks at you from where he is laying while you talk at him. Eventually he rolls out of bed and, not bothering to get dressed comes out of the room and looks down at the loading floor. His tired expression doesn't change at its lack of activity but he does come downstairs with you as you show off the sleeping guy.

"That ain't Jin. That's Pekn. He owns the place."

After nudging the sleeping man with his bare foot and looking around outside for a second he comes back in and sits on the wagon.

"So what the fork did you need from me? Cus if doesn't involve moving boxes from the floor to a wagon ye got the wrong guy."
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:07 pm

"Look, I'm sorry to disturb you, I truly am. Believe it or not, all I'm trying to do is get to the Dancing Goat to dry off and warm up and sleep for... I dunno. A week?

Anyway, instead of that, I'm here talking to you in a town that's gone to shit for some reason. Folk are all unconscious in the streets or fighting each other till they get that way. The dwarves are throwing their guts up and now I'm caught up in this mess trying to find a healer or someone who might know ANYTHING about what the hell is going on. The number of folk affected points to a poison or something I'd guess. Maybe in the air or the water? Do you have a well in town or anything? Or somewhere you keep all your food stores or that?

So what I'd like from you is some help. I need to know where the nearest healers are, and I need access to your roof. Going to see what's what and if it might be a safer road through town. As for you, if you can lift crates, you can lift people. Start looking for folk whore the worse for wear and get them safe in here. I'll tell any healers I meet about this place and bring them back here. If you find anyone with sense, you bring em back here too, but watch you don't get punched trying. Got it?

You got family or anything in town? Might be worth checking on them while you're out. Make sure they're safe and that."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:10 pm

"Purify- It takes ten minutes of doing naught else to perform these rituals. People can live for a day without water and still be healthy afterwards, I will not consign others to die without treatment just because you didn't want anybody to get thirsty." Lurn turns to the guard, "You have secured your gate. I suggest you move to secure the other. If this is the prelude to an attack, the risk of enemies inside opening this gate again is lesser than that of them using an open gate."

With that, he begins moving down the street. When the halfling asks her question he just shrugs, "My people know there will be many who cannot recognise our good will. We have developed methods of hiding. Though it cannot be used so often as magic."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:23 pm

"Hrm. Fine, we be off th'n." The halfling follows the giant after getting the water. "Ah cannae tell if this wat'r be taint'd or nay. It possible it maybeh but Ah think it be clear or deluded. Cannae smell it neith'r n I ain't riskin' a taste, donnae know 'ow concentr'd it be n me likes me senses 'ntact. If ye ain't willin' ta use ye spell then Ah may get Ruby 'ere ta drink it and see 'ow 'e feels n what senses it be affectin'"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm

((Isn't find familiar fun? :D ))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:28 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:25 pm ((Isn't find familiar fun? :D ))
(It is! Even if we don't know what it is, it can always be a lab rat! And even if it gets aggressive it can't attack and Joe can dissmiss it.)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:47 pm

"Then I suggest you perform your test, because even if my spell tells me of a poison in the water I may not be able to counteract it through mundane means."
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:51 pm

Joe looks at her bird and holds the bucket still for it. ""ere ya fella, 'ave a drink. Lat'r I be givin' ye a treat."
"Givin' a treat!" The bird chirps and drinks the water. Joe looks at Lurm and holds his arm as she uses her action to use her familar's senses.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:50 am

The man rubs one of his eyes and yawns during Vesri's explanation and answers, in order her questions,

"Got a bunch of wells. Ye can find them on every street, whats' at the bottom of'm? No idea. Food comes in pretty regular but ay don't know if they put it anywhere together." He sniffs at the air a bit, "Air seems just fine."

He slides down from the wagon and scratching his side approaches the sleeping Pekn.

"Pekn here's warehouse is all about get food and stuff and sending out 'round town. He gets it at the gates and puts it here to send it out fast. Ye'r in the middle of town, though things looked pretty safe out there." He bends over Pekn and rolls him roughly to his back and starts patting him down. Finding what he was looking for he straightens, groans, and pops his back. "You want on the roof? Here you go." He tosses you a smallish iron key. "There's a ladder up in Pekn's office to the loft. Never been up there but ye can maybe find a window or something up there. Cleric's hang out near the South Gate, the barracks got some healers too."

He pointedly ignores your question about family and, grumbling, grabs Pekn by the leg and drags him to the back of the warehouse floor. He slowly walks out in the street looks around, grabs the nearest person's leg and repeats the process. He does seem to be trying to pull them around the bigger dips in the floor. As he walks past you to get another he says,

"Am ay a hero if I get 20 more? Nice hair by the by." He runs his hand over his receding hairline.
----
The guard doesn't respond to Lurn's suggestion.

The parrot looks at Joe after drinking, perhaps with a bit of accusation in them, before Joe hop inside. Things look pretty bird normal. After a few minutes things get a little wobbly and there is a flash of confusion but that passes pretty quickly.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:13 am

((What are the dips in the floor? Are they meant to be there or are they weird?))

"Thanks!

I was going to try the barracks first, but with all the chaos, I might just head straight for the clerics. I'll see what it looks like from up top. Thanks for the key and take care. Leave yourself an escape route just in case folk turn nasty, or these fires start to spread... Or whatever they are...

I'm Ves by the way. "

She'll get the guys name and head for the locked office and roof.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:20 am

((Think ruts from wagons and the like. Not really meant to be there but kind of hard to get around.))

"They call me Jolly. Look south for the clerics. Big stupid temples and shrines. Shiny as spoon.

Been taking care of myself for a long while now, Ves. You go have yourself an' adventure." He goes back outside to get another person to 'rescue'.

The key fits like a charm and the door opens smoothly. This room is also an office but everything is significantly nicer and there is a large safe in one corner. There is a ladder and closed hatch to the 3rd floor loft area.

((The area above is going to the same size as the rooms were in depth but the ceiling is going to slant down due to the roof. It is essentially and attic.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:31 am

Ok cool. She'll take a look around out the windows and see what the state of the city is over towards the Prefects home and towards the barracks.

((How far away is the barracks from here compared to the temples?))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:33 am

Joe talks as she shares the senses with her bird. "Thar be somethin' in tha wat'r alright. It take a few ta kick in so ye can drink a lot 'efore ye notice anythin'. It'd be good me bird dinnae drink much, it dinnae seem ta last as long. Everythin' were all shak'y n confusin' but it seem ta pass aft'r a few min'ites."

Joe pets her bird. "Who's a good bird?"
(dunno if the bird would act differently or not.)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:23 am

As they walk, Lurn casts Guidance on himself, then considers what he's been told to see whether he can guess at what sort of poison would behave that way.

Medicine + Guidance = [4]+7 + [4] = 15
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:37 am

Vesri passes through the loft, mostly used a storage area by the looks of things and the dust, and finds a roof hatch and goes up to look around.

She orients herself and finds both the building she takes to be the barracks and a bunch of temples. She'd guess they are about the same distance from where she now.

((Perception please))
---
It is, as near as he can figure, unlike any natural toxin or poison. The reaction is too varied and onset too sudden for anything natural he is familiar with.

((Bird seems fine, keep up those good rolls Dlover!))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:05 am

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:10 am

"It is certainly no natural poison I know of. We need to speak to that apothecary."

Lurn continues toward the Prefect's.
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:17 am

Vesri notices that there is now almost no movement on the streets but as she watches the smoke from a few areas seems to lessen and fade.

As she is scanning the streets she is certain that someone ducked down on another roof when they noticed her looking around from her (higher) roof.
---
((Perception from Lurn and Joe please))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:21 am

Sweet. Ok, can she get out onto the neighbouring roofs at all? If it looks too difficult to travel that way, she'll just head into the streets and start running towards the temples. This is starting to get creepy.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:22 am

per: 1D20 = [15] = 15
(do you want me to roll for Ruby as well?)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:15 am

Per: [10]+7 = 17
No Guidance since he wouldn't be anticipating the need to see anything.

((You see these results? This is what happens when I have good stats. Lady Luck has forsaken me, abandoned me to mediocrity. XP ))
My game:

My characters:

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Vesri considers trying to travel by roof top but the uneven heights of the buildings here means that it would probably require more time to climb up and down (especially without gear) than just using the road. Vesri passes by Jolly on her way out (he's made a pretty decent pile of rescuees now) and heads out southward on the increasingly quiet and still streets. After a couple minutes she comes to a large intersection with roads leading each of the cardinal compass points.
---
As Joe and Lurn head steadily southward they notice there are fewer and fewer stumblers and mumblers. Lurn feels as though something is watching him and thinks he sees movement on a roof but it's gone before he can be sure he even saw it. Ruby sees what Joe sees, as it is still sitting on her head.

The pair come to a section of road where crates and wagons (horses and oxen still attached in some cases) block the road.