Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
Dlover
Game Master

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:05 am

"If you wish. I cannot identify the taint without pausing to perform my ritual, though."
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:09 am

"It'd be worth knowin' wha we be up against, if ye can cast it ev'n if it take time it'd be worth it."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:14 am

"Ten minutes. How many would be lost in that time, for some small information?"
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:29 am

"N 'ow many mor' would be lost if we dinnae know what we'd be up against n how we'd be curin' it?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:07 am

((About have the people you've seen are unconscious but based on their location and poses the were probably like the other large group of affected people - muttering, confused walkers. There are a few screamers/yellers and relatively few fighters as you've only seen a handful. The reactions seem pretty spread across the board, including animals, except for the dwarves who have been exclusively violently ill with no other apparent affects.

From what you know of Stenrek the dwarves are valued trading partners if not close friends. You passed through the dwarf quarter heading in.))

You poke your head in the warehouse.

((Perception!))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:28 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:38 am

Vesri sees a sleeper right next to the open door. A large, high ceilinged with a few crates stacked against the walls and a half loaded wagon lay beyond the sleeper. She sees a set of stairs on the far wall leading up to a loft like area.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 am

She'll delicately step over the sleeper and head for the stairs to the loft area.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:10 am

((Sorry missed the question to the guard))

"It's the big palace looking building that way." She points to the East. "No straight shot there from here." She thinks a moment, "I guess you can get there fast through the East Gate but they aren't going to let you in there."

---
The loft has been split into four rooms in a row, each with a closed wooden door. There is daylight under each door. There is a wooden rail along the edge of the loft.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:37 am

Welp, Vesri will listen at each of the doors for the sounds of snoring. Given how deeply the elf guy was sleeping earlier, she figures it's probably safest to enter a room where someone's sleeping than risk startling someone awake.

She'll attempt to move stealthily past each of the fours doors, listening at each in turn:

If you need them:
Stealth: 1D20+2 = [14]+2 = 16
Perception: 1D20+3 = [4]+3 = 7

((Let me know if you want more PER rolls))
Last edited by thinkslogically on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:16 am

"Yer probably right. Tha guards at tha west be high as a cloud n the guard a' tha southr'n gate be not there. Ah think ye be sendin' someun to tha gate, it be 'alf open. Do ye know where tha lass maybeh 't? Maybeh she can know what be goin' on in these parts."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:44 am

The guard looks shocked when Joe says the south gate was unguarded.

"No one at all? That's bad. This is all bad."

The energy seems to leave her as she just slumps against the wall and slides roughly down, her armor screeching.

She looks up at Joe,

"You mean mohawk lady? She didn't know what was happening. No one knows what is happening. What can one guard do? I can't do anything. I can't even guard a gate."

----

((Nah, that 7 is plenty Thinks :))

Vesri moves from door to door quietly, stepping over clearly loose boards. She doesn't hear anything at any of the doors, snoring or otherwise but does see that only the last room has a door lock.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:51 am

Huh.

Well, she's just trying to get a view of the city, not burgle the place, so she'll just go into the 3rd room (next to the locked room). She'll be a little careful just in case there's someone inside, but she's expecting an empty room.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:01 pm

"Ya, I mean tha lass. Where be she? Cheer up lass, thar is always som'thin' ya can do, ev'n if it be min'r. Hop'fully we can get this all sort'd 'for long." She looks at the tall guy. "Ye'd best at least make clean wat'r fer her so she can drink without goin' all crazy like."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Behind door number three Vesri finds a balrog plan looking office. A few open ledgers sit on a desk along with some writing implements and a small scale (with weights). There are a few piles of small stones next to the scale and jars of grains.

The window isn't big but gives an nearly unobstructed view to the southwest (away from the Prefect's and barracks). You can make out more smoke now than before but fewer people appear to be moving on the streets you can see than before.

((Anything specific she would look for?))
----
The guard lowers her head and says to the ground,

"She went to the barracks which is next to the Prefect's estate. Southeast from here."

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:34 pm

Yeah, is there a windowledge she might be able to climb out onto? I think the roof is calling her if it's not a stupidly difficult climb.

So: She'll try to open the window, and if successful, will assess whether climbing onto the roof is at all possible from here or one of the other rooms.

She frowns at the amount of smoke in the air. Deciding that uncomfortable is better than hyper-angry, she wets a handkerchief with water from her water bottle and ties it over her mouth and nose (like a bandit) to keep the worst of the smoke and ash out of her face.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:54 pm

((The smoke has gotten that bad yet that you would need to cover your face, there are just more spots with smoke now.))

Vesri works the small window open an looks out and up. It is sheer and would take a miracle to climb. She does see another window above her though that would be very, very tricky to get to trying to scale the mostly smooth wooden planks.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:03 pm

The handkerchief is just in case whatever is causing this is carried by the smoke. She'll leave it off for now though, and put it on when she goes back outside.

All right. Well, an upstairs window at least implies there's some other way to get higher up in this building. Were there any other stairs or a ladder? If not, she'll check this room then the others for an attic trapdoor or something like that.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:08 pm

The room number 3 has no hatch or ladder she can see. She could reach the ceiling if she stands on the desk though?

((What is your order of opening rooms?))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Let's go 2 then 1

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:35 pm

"Thank ye lass." Joe goes with the giant, waiting to get out of earshot of her. "I dinna expect ye ta have disguisin' magic, seein' tha ye'd be a cleric n all." Along the way, if they come across a well, Joe will fetch some water as they continue to the barracks/perfect place.
(damned error)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:50 pm

Vesri leaves room 3 and carefully pushes open the door to room 2. The contents of the room are pretty similar to the previous room, stacks of paper on a desk, assorted writing and marking tools. No ladder.

The door to room 1 squeaks a bit as it's pushed open. Vesri is hit by the smell of unwashed body, tangy old sweat and then beholds a stocky middle aged man laying asleep on a cot with his arm over his eyes. He isn't wearing a shirt or pants (got a pair of pretty nasty underwear on though). Before you can truly appreciate the sight before he groans and throws a boot from the ground at you with his other arm.

"Get out, me shift don't start fer nother three hours!"
---
Joe gets some water.

((Prefect, not perfect.
Well there goes Mort's theory about the error on two of the older threads. This one is fresh as dew.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:05 pm

"Well you're the least assholey asshole I've met so far today, so I guess it's your lucky day! Wake up buddy, the town's gone to shit and you and I are about the only sane ones left. Get yourself up! We need to chat."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:19 pm

The man lifts the arm over his eyes at Vesri's voice and squints at her with tired, bloodshot eyes, before lowering his arm again.

"Ye can tell Jin to get forked, I don't forking fork with his forking sleep, do I? No but its forking funny to get some savage from up north ta come in and yell at me in my skibbies? Hope he paid ye first. Get out and close the forking door."

He doesn't seem to believe you.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:34 pm

((How big is this guy? Could she feasibly tip him / drag him out of his bed?))

"Can't say I know him. I stepped over an unconscious guy at the front door though. Fat, hairy* sort of bloke."

((*Or whatever he actually looked like! will edit if it's important))