Tests and Trials

Home to all current Forum Games.
NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:55 am

Jaq goes over to the humans and dwarves that are knocking on doors in the area, "What is going on? Is something wrong with the Dwarves in the city?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:12 am

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:25 am

((Humans and gnomes))

A human looks over at Jaq,

"Ya probably missed it but whatever knocked us out made the dwarves real sick."

He pounds on the door again and listens before trying the door handle,

"My wife was in bad shape yesterday when I woke up, she'd been heaving up her insides all day till the fog blew in. I got some water in her and she's resting now but most of the dwarves don't have anyone that can take care of'm but another dwarf."

He turns to a gnome woman nearby,

"Open it up, the Fenspar's got a kid." The gnome pulls out tools familiar to Jaq and starts working the lock.

The human moves closer and lowers his voice,

"We've found more than a dozen dead already, mostly kids and the elderly. Twice that on the verge and I'm not sure if they're gonna make it. Guards haven't been interested in helping us much. Things are bad but with this many dead they are going to get worse..."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:31 am

((Lurn will be leaving as late as he can to get to the meeting place when he's expected. Avoid wasting as much time with the illusion as he can.))
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:42 am

"A few brave people tha found tha source n fix'd it. Tha guards want n scapegoat about tha mess n ta bury wha know really 'app'ned."

Joe grins at the shamanistic ruins. Both be good ta look inta. 'Ow much fer a repoduct'n o tha maps n the set?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 am

Ves ride in her box is uneventful as she is jostled and rocked by the wagon's movement. It also seems like the driver only knows one song to whistle.

After about 15 minutes the wagon stops and Ves can hear the driver get off. There is some talking in the distance. She hears the the driver's voice say,

"Fill it. Ya got any pig shit? Throw that on too." After a moment more voices approach and a younger voice asks, "Ya want to move the box before we start shoveling?" The old man's voice responds, "Ain't going touch that shit stained box. Cover it, don't make no difference. Oh and ya boys better have some of this whiskey before ya get started." There is some chuckling and a bawdy joke is told before Ves hears something wet slop against the crate. And then again, and again. The smell gets pretty strong, but nothing seems to be leaking in. It also is getting warm.

The sounds outside the box become increasingly muffled until she can't hear anything. After what must have been a half hour the wagon starts to move.

((Con roll please))
----
((About a half hour after Ves leaves then, Jolly knows the way. Lurn doing anything else on the way?))
----

The woman shakes her head,

"And you know what really happened? You know what, don't tell me. It's just safer."

"The tools will run you 15 gold. The maps only come with the books, I don't have any reproductions of those. Rindi will be 15 and Yuvin 20 gold. If you want both and the tools...let's say 48 gold."

((Feel free to try and dicker))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:45 am

Con save: 1D20+1 = [7]+1 = 8

Ves begins to feel decidedly uncomfortable and attempts to focus on the been meditations she learned the night before.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:00 am

Joe looks at the books and hums. "While tha books might be nice ta most, I am more int'rsted in lookin' inta it meself and make me own observati'ns. If Ah make copy o tha maps meself, I willnae need tha books n ye can sell it ta someun' else. Ah'll stay in tha shop so ye know I ain't goin' ta take 'em from ye. Wha' would ye want fer me ta copy em maps?"

(How long will it take for her to copy the maps?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:18 am

((Roll me a persuasion, there are a good number of maps so probably a week or so to do a good job.))

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:01 am

"Oh gods, I didn't know it was that bad. I thought the fog cleared the problem up and everyone was all right now. Are they still getting sicker, or is water and food making them better??"

After getting the answer he will thank them for the info and then head back to Bren's home. Knock, hard, often. If no answer he will use his lockpicks to break in and check on the man.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:12 am

Persuade: 1D20+3 = [19]+3 = 22

(She'll probably only copy a few then)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:29 am

"I ain't a doctor but most of them seem like they start getting better when we get some food and water in them. Got some physicians and clerics helping out but we just didn't know to get and start helping in time, ya know how it was."

The gnome gets the door open and the man immediately stops his conversation and heads into the house.

There is no answer despite the knocking and Jaq opens the lock with ease and heads in. The house smells like vomit and Jaq finds Bren on the kitchen floor holding a bottle covered in sick. As Jaq rushes in Bren slowly looks up and a weak smile spreads across his face. He face is much like the dwarves Jaq passed in town, pale and drawn. In a hoarse voice he says,

"Lad, would ye mind givin' meh a hand up? Meh legs are a bit shaky today."
---
The store owner nods thoughtfully,

"Well... Okay how does 5 gold for as many as you'd like to copy and 15 for tools? You have paper?

((Still going to take a few hours for a rush job and half a day to get all the details. The big book has 40ish maps and the smaller has a similar number but more zoomed in and detailed.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:57 am

Joe scratches her chin, thinking. "Tha does sound fair but Ah just rememb'r'd tha Ah 'ave ta hit tha road soon. Ah think Ah may barl' have tha time ta make a rough copy o one map, it maybe bett'r fer me ta buy tha small'r book n if Ah come back lat'r when Ah copi'd tha maps Ah can give tha book back to ye."

(How much time does Joe have left?)

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:12 am

"Yes, Bren, I am here to help."
He will help the man to his chair or bed, whichever he prefers.
He will help clean the man up, and get his some clean water and something to eat.
Jaq explains who his father and mother are, and then he says, "Just relax a bit, Bren. I am going to get my father from his shop, he will come over with some food and make sure you are ok. If needed he will get a cleric here for you."

Jaq then hightales it home and informs his dad why he's back, Bren's predicament, and asks that he takes the man food and water and checks on him.

"Father, the dwarf's area looks bad. Do you think you can round up some people from around this part of town to go and help them out? I think just making sure they are fed and full of clean water will help."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:50 pm

The shopkeeper shakes her head,

"No, I'm not a library. If you leave this store with a book it's because you own it. I am willing to go as low as 12 gold on Rindi or you can come back when you are in town and do the copying."

((Well as your % die roll would have it Joe lucked out and went into a shop with what she wanted off the bat. She's got about an hour and a half before she needs to head to the tavern. We can call that one map well copied or two roughly.))

----
((I figured that Jaq would have met Bren many times with his mom so introductions wouldn't be needed. Or does that not fit your backstory around Jaq's mom? Can you also give Jaq's dad a name :D.))

Jaq's father's face grows dark as he quickly closes up shop, fills a bag with food and follows Jaq out into the street.

"Why didn't anyone tell us? People everywhere are hurt but here could have helped!"

Along the way he ducks into several shops and homes and explains the situation before continuing on.

On the edge of the Dwarven Quarter Jaq sees wait appears to be a sizable group of soldiers gathered around a familiar figure who is shouting out orders. As orders are given pairs of soldiers move quickly into the Quarter. As Jaq and his father move by the soldiers the person shouting orders, Councilor Mer'Nonavin, locks eyes with Jaq briefly.

As they move into the Quarter it becomes clear that the soldiers have been tasked with checking each home and building. As Jaq and his father pass a pair of soldiers bring a dwarf out of a storehouse and laying him on the road. Another pair of soldiers standing in the road move over and begin checking the dwarf as the original pair move back inside the storehouse.

Arriving at Bren's home Jaq finds Bren dozing in the chair he was left in.

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:55 pm

(LOL, he does have a name, I'll have to look back into the backstory when I'm home. It works that they would know each other, I just didn't want to assume)
Edit: just checked. His name is Maq'realin...or of course....Maq.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm

((Not sure if I have his name? Always good not to assume!

Also you're only maybe half from the meet up at the tavern.))

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:16 pm

Joe nods. "Deal." Joe fishes out her gold coin in exchange for the book and the tools.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:58 pm

The tiefling flashes Joe a smile and slides the book and tools across the counter to Joe and takes her coins.

"If you decide you want Yuvin come back in! I can also see if I can find a map of prisons if you think you'll be back?"

((Anything else? Joe has a lot of time left before she needs to be there.))
----
Maq daddy it is.
----
The mediation helps a bit but it is hard to stay focused being rocked around and more than anything Ves is warm, the only fresh cool air coming from under her head.

The wagon rolls on for an age before stopping. After a moment it rolls a bit then stops. This happens perhaps two dozen more times before Ves loses count.

The wagon rolls and then stops and this time she hears muffled talking.

((Con, perception and a plain d20 roll please))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:27 pm

As Ves lays in her box sweating and her ears start to ring, first like a distant hum but quickly the level of crashing waves in a storm. She isn't able to make out the muffled conversation she'd heard before as the ringing increases and she is beginning to see stars dancing in her vision as the wagon rattles. Not the normal moving forward motion but of something heavy pushing down on one side. Shortly after she feels a stinging, pinching sensation in her left leg above the knee followed by something warm and wet there, slowly running down her thigh and spreading under her leg and back.

(Ves takes 1 piercing damage)

After what could be a minute or an hour the cart starts moving forward again and soon the feel of jarring cobble stones is gone.

((Those were some unfortunate rolls))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 pm

((Yes they were! :lol: At least she didn't yelp I guess...))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:35 pm

((Had it been anything but a 1 I would have had you roll for it so I guess you got lucky with my rolls!))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:33 pm

(Nothing else from Lurn on the way to the meeting.)
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:26 am

Lurn changes his form in preparation to leave. Jolly appears entirely unimpressed. Daren on the other hand, who has come back out and was having a hushed argument with Jolly, gasps with surprise at the change.

As Lurn departs with Jolly in tow Daren calls after, "Don't be stupid Jolly, it's not going to help them! Be safe!" Jolly ignores Daren and walks quietly beside Lurn out of the warehouse, casting one last look at his water skin.

They make good time to the Dwarf Quarter as traffic of all sorts in town is low and the further north they get the mood to Lurn feels more subdued. A small group of elven soldiers is standing at the southern end of the Quarter but the soldiers don't pay the pair of humans(?) walking by any mind. Once in the in the Quarter things are more active but in an odd way. Pairs of soldiers appear to be moving between buildings and there are dwarves in various states of awareness standing, sitting or laying outside. Other soldiers are moving between the dwarves and Lurn even spots a few clerics of Lathander and one of Bahamat moving between the the dwarves. As they move further in see a few still forms on the ground outside homes covered in blankets.

The area around the tavern is nearly deserted when Lurn and Jolly arrive, there are no horses outside it. Inside the typically dwarven style tavern, dark with a big fireplace on one side and a few small lanterns scattered over the lower than normal tables and chairs, is nearly empty. The dwarven bartender looks up from the bar slowly at Lurn and Jolly before looking back down.