Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Re: Tests and Trials

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:52 pm

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:45 am

The tree remains stoically silent despite what must have been a painful injury. Dama is in such a rush that she didn't find much. She does snag herself a longbow from one of the downed archers along with some additional arrows.
((Anyone else going to try a quick hand at looting? Roll investigation. The more specific your target the more recovered from it at the expense of not looking at the others. Downed targets include two archers, several standard hob infantry, two ogres and one red armored hob.))

---
Joe finds the stinging pain every time she moves to be a good reminder to stay alert. She also notes the old twisted black tree and then the old fire pit. Nothing looks like a trap from where they are standing now.

Glancing at the map she sees the next landmark is a pond and then whatever the map leads to is on top of a bare hilltop.

((Investigating the tree/fire pit or moving on to the pond?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:51 am

Lurn was more concerned with Jaq, but scoops up any weapons he happens to spot, and takes a moment to deliver several strong strikes to the fallen ogre's crossbow with his mace, aiming to damage it so that the hobs can't reclaim it easily for another one.

Investigation: 1D20-1 = [9]-1 = 8
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:04 am

Beginning to move west Lurn gives the fallen bodies of the hobs a cursory look and scoops up all their weapons, five long swords, a dagger and one longbow, before moving a bit south and smashing up the huge crossbow. He looks at the club in the other ogre's dead hand and decides that can probably be left, it is more or less just a tree trunk with a few metal spikes driven though it.

((Unless Lurn really wants it?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:38 am

((I don't think Lurn can wield it anyway, so no. XD))
My game:

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

NotStickFigures
Prattles on Unremittingly

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:50 am

After Jaq gets knocked out yet again, and then healed, and then looks around in confusion and a bit of a haze, he watches Kroshav climb and get his bow for him. "Thanks much for getting that for me. I'm a bit out of sorts yet. I really do need a good nights sleep and get my reflexes back to normal. And also thanks for all the healing by you two."
He will go over to the red armored hob and do a quick search, but his mind is still probably on other things to do a perfect search. He will also pick up any arrows he sees.

Exhausted investigation of the red armored Hobgoblin: 2D20.LOW(1)+1 = [18, 3]+1 = 4

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:10 am

"You're welcome. You good to march?"

Having tossed away a few of his javelins, Kroshav has a look about for any throwing type weapons the hobs might have had.

Investigation: 1D20-2 = [2]-2 = 0

That club is probably a throwing weapon...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:13 am

Ves checks the fire to see when it was likely last used.

Survival: 1D20+5 = [9]+5 = 14

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:26 am

Investigation on the tree and a look at the map.

Investigation [1d20+4] = 14+4 = 18

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:28 am

Jaq finds 20 arrows still in the quiver of one of the hobs and a few others in the ogres. He gives the red armored hob a scan and only really notices a metal whistle. While Jaq does this Kroshav picks up the two javelins the half plated hob tossed and then spends the next minute heaving the ogre's massive club around. Everyone is duly impressed and Kroshav figures he could probably two hand the thing in a fight if he really needed to...but why would he want that?

Arbelm signals it is time to move and begins moving west, following the hob trail rather than the one Celus used.

((Anything else before you head out?))
----
Ves guesses the fire is as old as the trail, putting it maybe a day or two before Fancy Bandit met his unfancy fate. Looking to the east from the campsite into the woods there is another old trail.

Poking around the campsite Joe notes there are a dozen thin ropes that appear to be the sort commonly used for snares tucked against the tree.

((So there is another trail away from where the map indicates.))
Last edited by Rodgeir on Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:30 am

Kroshav feels like he was getting the hang of the club, but it is pretty heavy, and they will have to move fast. He begrudgingly decides to leave it behind.

((Nothing from me!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:02 am

Jaq takes the arrows and the whistle and is ready to move on. "Yeah, I'm fine to march."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:33 pm

((Presuming Lurn is content as well...))

The small party set off at a slower, but not slow, pace back to the west. Rounding the small hill there is no sign of Celus but he hopefully would have put some additional distance between himself, them and the hobs.

((Give me some perception rolls please. Also in particular order as you move? Arbelm would be towards the back.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:56 pm

"Let's check out this trail quickly while we're here. Don't want any surprises..."

Ves follows the new trail a little way (no more than 5 - 10 minutes).

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:16 pm

A short walk down the other faint trail reveals a good number of sprung snares, easily two dozen, a few minute's walk from the tree, scattered here and there. Some look to have had something in them, evidenced by what's left of a rabbit's leg still left in one. The traps were set but not emptied quickly enough so the forest took care of it for the trap setter it appears.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:36 pm

Kroshav is sticking close to Jaq, unless he's off scouting.

His concern for his friend has him distracted.

Perception: 1D20+1 = [2]+1 = 3
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:14 pm

Lurn will be sticking to the centre.
Perception: 1D20+7 = [16]+7 = 23
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:13 pm

Jaq would start up near the front with kroshav for now.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:21 am

As the party jog east, Kroshav and Jaq in the lead rely on Dama behind them to keep watch and Lurn helps Arbelm watch beside and behind them. A few times Lurn thinks he sees something, maybe two somethings, moving behind them but never gets a good view of whatever it is. Arbelm follows his glances back and says quietly,

"Yes, we are being followed. They showed up shortly after the leader left but kept their distance in the shadows. As long as they are following us and not Celus it's fine. By the time we catch him up the rest of our party will likely be close by and more than enough to handle whatever those two can manage."

Lurn is the first to hear something moving ahead and catch a glimpse of Celus as he struggles forward. Arbelm calls to him and he pauses but she waves for him to keep moving. It seems whatever endurance Celus had is quickly waning however as he is sweating profusely and cursing the hob on his shoulder at every step. The group slows to Celus speed as Arbelm looks casually back to check on their tail.

((Doing anything?))

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:07 am

As they catch up to Celus, Lurn hoists the unconscious mage over one shoulder and his winded companion over the other.
((Benefits of being giant kin: You can carry hundreds of pounds of person.))
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:12 am

(How far are we from the army camp?)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:23 am

((Over an hour, how long depends on the pace.))

Celus gladly hands over the mage but grunts in surprise as he gets hoisted up as well.

"Uhhh... well okay. Um. Just for a little bit, to catch my breath."

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:56 am

"You've worked hard, some rest is well deserved."
My game:

My characters:

NotStickFigures

Post by NotStickFigures » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:14 am

Jaq watches while they continue to walk. He’s checking ahead for a bend in the trail or a place they can pass and then stop and ambush whoever is following.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:32 am

((You are not really on a trail trail, more a path of crushed plant life made by the hobs. You are pretty well always in moderately heavy forest, just dodging between trees. Any spot could potentially serve as an ambush location.))