TaleSpinner - A Story-Writing Adventure Game For Everyone

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

TaleSpinner - A Story-Writing Adventure Game For Everyone

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:57 am

► Show Spoiler
This day started like any other day. Albert's alarm had gone off at 5am, he rolled out of bed, got ready and left for work in a routine that he had perfected over the last 5 years of working at his boring office job. Arriving at work, he fished a smile out of his pocket for Doris, the receptionist, and then plodded to the back of the building where his small dark office was waiting for him. The stack of reports had grown from last night to a staggering height such that the pile threatened to spill off his desk and into the hallway. Albert carefully edged around his desk and sat gingerly into his chair in an effort to keep the stack where it stood. Suddenly...
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:30 am, edited 4 times in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: TaleSpinner - A Story-Writing Adventure Game

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:52 pm

...that loose screw popped out with a *ping* as his chair lists to the side. Flailing about, his arm catches the stack of reports, sending them fluttering to the floor as he falls hard on his side. From his new vantage point, all he is able to see is a pair of shoes stopping in his doorway. He recognizes the walk, and knows that the shoes belong to...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:27 am

...Lewis from accounting, mostly because Lewis has had the same pair of lime green shoes the entire time Albert had worked there. Lewis steps in and peers over the desk and looks at the mess, before shrugging and placing a thick stack of reports in the newly vacated spot on Albert's desk. "By Thursday Albert or Lina will have both our asses." Lewis turns and leaves bumping into...

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:00 am

...Alex, the bosses son-in-law. Albert groans as he picks himself up off the floor, just in time to find himself facing Alex, the smart-mouthed chump of the office. "Did you try to take off in the office again albertross?" Alex said with a laugh that turned into a full fledged cackle. Even Lewis joined in on the laughter, probably glad that it wasn't him that was taking the verbal abuse. A high pitched whimpering whine rose in the back of Albert's throat as he reached for...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:24 am

...his inhaler. Taking a slow drag on it elicits more laughter from Alex as Lewis winces apologetically and sidles out and makes his escape down the hallway. Albert didn't really need the inhaler just then, but it bought him time and helped keep him from...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:16 am

... screaming his head off in surprise as with a solid -CHOOOO kind of sound something blue-,brown- and greenish appeared in the air, swooshed past him in a blur, ricocheted off the wall, the ceiling and another wall before crashing onto the floor next to him.
After a few moments to take in the recent appearance, Albert couldn't help but think that no matter how incredible this seemed, it looked exactly like Snuff, the wonder dog - the loveable rascal hero from the animated TV-series with the same name Albert was utterly nuts about - complete with the green boots and cape, the blue chest piece and mask and the brown fur. His legs were all ajumble as he lay there in a pile which very much suggested that he must have been propelled backwards from the sheer force of his own sneeze - which had incidentally covered Alex' whole head in thick, slimy, gooey snot, eliciting a heartfelt "EWWWWWW, that's disgusting!" from the boss' relative, much to Albert's satisfaction.

Another voice could be heard, saying "I told you not to sniff at the interdimensional displacement powder!" in a reproachful tone, making Albert's gaze fly up to try and locate the speaker, and while failing at that, he spotted a weird glittery, blurry, shimmering in the air, right about where Snuff had made his entrance. Albert...
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:31 am

...reached out toward the shimmering space and elicited a squeal of joy as his left hand vanished through the wall. Snuff, the wonder dog, looked up at him and shrugged and then walked back through the hole in the wall like it was just another day. Albert's eyes lit up, like a boy who had finally received exactly what he wanted for Christmas 20 years too late and pushed his hand further into the wall. With a loud Shluuuoop the hole in the wall began to close in around his hand and he made the split decision to...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:36 am

...abandon his miserable existence in his miserable apartment, this miserable job, with these miserable people.

"Wait up Snuff, I'm coming too!"

For a moment, Albert is paralyzed with the dread that haunted him most of his teen and adult life, ever since his father passed away at 43 from a brain tumor that resulted in vivid hallucinations before it grew so large it crushed vital functions.

"Hey! You can't leave! You've got reports to do! GET BACK HERE RIGHT NOW!", Alex splutters indignantly.

Freed from his paralysis, Albert leaps through the wall. After all, if Alex can see it, it must be there... unless Alex isn't really there...

Either way, it's too late as he tumbles through, the wall closes around him, and...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: TaleSpinner - A Story-Writing Adventure Game For Everyone

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:56 am

..time seemed to both speed up and slow down at the same time. Albert felt himself grow older, each second seemed to add another year to his life. A plethora of colors swam past his vision, changing and pulsing as if the plasma that he was diving through was alive. As quickly as it started it ended and Albert found himself stepping into a large round room. The room was still spinning as he tried to take a step forward and a step forward became a stumble as he fell to his knees and emptied the contents of his stomach onto the floor.
He heard the same voice again, this time with some alarm in it. "A human! No human's have been here in centuries!" Albert looked up from the floor with bleary eyes and saw...

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:08 am

A small french poodle. Apparently Snuff wasn't the only unusual dog in this world. Albert starts to get up to greet his new life when he hears the poodle cry out again. "If we don't stop him, they'll try to make us pets again! Get him!" Suddenly, dog after dog started chasing him. A couple retrievers, about 7 corgis, a Chihuahua or two, and at least one St. Bernard as well. Now that he was getting used to this new place, he sensed that he could run faster, see farther, even think deeper thoughts. Albert broke into a sprint towards one side of the room where he spotted a doggie door. He dove through and quickly backed up, his seemingly new and improved strength enough to keep it closed. He looks around and notices...
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:53 am

...that the room is filled top to bottom with weapons of every type. Swords, knives and guns of various types, all sized down to that of a dog hang from hooks covering nearly every inch of wall space. Albert grimaced at the thought of using violence against the dogs, but he felt he had no choice. Without thinking about it, Albert stood up and moved towards the wall of weapons, releasing the pressure from the door. An explosion of dogs charged into the room and as the they tackled him to the floor, the small french poodle walked over and addressed him. "For your crimes of terrorism, your punishment will be...

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:53 pm

"EXILE!" Snuff's voice bellowed resoundingly over whatever verdict the French poodle would have rendered in raging shrieks, foam coming out of his meticulously groomed snout. Snuff took aim and another sniff of the trans-dimensional displacement powder and sneezed, squarely hitting Albert in the chest and taking the human male with him as he was once more propelled backwards, through another tear in reality (or whatever these glittering things were that allowed travel through dimensions) forming around the two of them.

The journey was just as rough, confusing and disorienting as the last time, perhaps even more so, because this time Albert hadn't really had a chance to brace himself for it, nor had he chosen to go on it.
Due to their larger joint mass, this time there was no ricocheting off walls or ceilings – thankfully - and Albert just landed plainly on his butt, with Snuff glancing off him and sliding a small ways away on the smooth linoleum floor.

Albert was unpleasantly surprised to find out he was able to vomit yet again, after he had previously thought to have completely emptied his stomach on the prior occasion. By the time he was done and found himself on hands and knees hovering shakily over the puke puddle, trying to catch his breath and getting a feel for the situation in this new place, Snuff had padded over to him, plopped himself onto his hindquarters about half a meter distance from Albert and had watched him attentively, perhaps even concerned. Now he was looking at the human with a tilted head, the expression on the dog's features almost apologetic.

"I'm sorry for what happened, buddy. I couldn't think of better way to resolve the situation, rather than allow it to escalate further. I definitely wouldn't have enjoyed you turning violent on any of the dogs and in the end, that mad dog would most likely have got you killed on the spot, and not in a pleasant way, either. While you're not blameless for even ending up there in the first place - you clearly followed me out of your own free will, not knowing what would be on the other side - you probably don't deserve that.
So the good news is: This is my home dimension, so to speak, and there are no murderous dogs running this world, out to kill any humans that just happen to be about, I promise. The bad news is: Even if I use the displacement powder again - which alas I don’t have an endless supply of - other than me going deliberately to places that are very familiar to me like I did just now, where it takes me is kind of random more often than not; therefore I don't know if I can get you back to your home.
If you want, we can try again - in good time that is, as this way of dimensional travel doesn't exactly seem to be healthy for you and I really don't think your body is up for another round before at least two weeks recovery - or you're welcome to hang out here. Not all canines are as adverse to being pets as Napoleon back there. Or, you know... at least to having human buddies..." Snuff added with a hint of pride in being his own master, though his traitorous tail was wagging.

Albert, who had listened with half a mind only, as the other half was too busy keeping whatever remainder of his stomach's contents there might be down there and taking in his surroundings - what looked like a room in an apartment, which kind of reminded Albert of his own both from the layout and furniture as well as the look into the outside - now remembered that on the show, Snuff (or rather his civil alter ego Pepper) didn't have an owner, nor a home, but roamed the streets, living off scraps he could beg off restaurant owners and whatever he found in trash cans, even though with his abilities, the wonderdog could have simply taken anything he wanted.

This thought quickly got shoved into the back seat when Albert spotted a mirror and with some effort rose to his feet and made his way over to it, curious how he would look now, after going on two trips through what had felt like the universe's bowels and ending up in a world that he only knew as computer-created animation. Aided by his hands, touching his face and body in various places to make sure he wasn't just seeing things, Albert checked out his reflection.
Except that he looked about as crappy as he currently felt, Albert had trouble spotting any changes to his exterior, and he very much felt the same as before this whole craziness had started, too, so in the back of his mind, he dared to harbour a glimmer of hope that whatever changes the first portal did to him, the second one reversed.

Now that the biggest worries about impending doom upon his person and ending up as a live-sized drawing were alleviated and the queasiness in his stomach finally subsided at least a bit, Albert turned his attention back to Snuff and what he had said. Immediately and instinctively Albert felt that he didn't want to return to his old home, because in his mind he was sure that whatever this plane of existence would hold in store for him, it had to be better than what he had left behind.
Over the course of the next few weeks he would find out just how true his assumptions about this world rang and how much better life was for him here, starting with...
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:24 pm

...a an unfortunately debilitating case of the shits that leave him unable to walk for a week, but at least he doesn't have to go to that awful job...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:24 am

...as a paper pusher. As he thought about his old job he could almost hear someone at the office calling his name.
"Albert!....Albert!.......Albert!.......Albert!....

Albert felt a sharp painful slap in the face, seemingly from nowhere and he opened his eyes as if for the first time.

Albert gradually awoke to find himself laying on the couch in the break room of his office. Doris was standing over him with a concerned look on her face. "oh my, oh my..." she kept saying, only to pause to gasp, sigh or put her hands over her eyes. As she saw that he had woken up, to his delight she hugged him before turning to yell "He's awake!". What seemed like the entire office crowded into the break room, some seemingly more interested in the sight of blood than actual concern. As Albert tried to rise from the couch, the right side of his head exploded with pain, like a jackhammer was going off in his brain. He cried out as he put his hand to his head. "What happened?" Albert asked...
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:44 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:51 am

► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:42 pm

"You just fell over," Doris cried. "I think you hit your head on the way down. Do you feel okay?"

The pain in his head was starting to fade, and he slowly sat up. The events slowly came back to him. And then he remembered what happened. And more importantly, he remembered his mission.

He had been drugged. He recognized the symptoms. Nothing lethal, but the drug would knock you out for a while, and hurt when you woke up. The intern had gotten everybody coffee today. She must have slipped it into his coffee. Maybe an agent from another organization. That's right. More was coming back to him, now. He was a secret agent. Sent undercover in this office for something important. He had to report on the activities of Alex, the Boss's son in law. He couldn't figure out why Alex was so special, but he completed is mission, no matter what. And he did so beautifully, keeping track of just about everything Alex had done and said for years, as often as he could.

And now, the mission had changed. He got the note today, from his handler. He was to assassinate Alex, using any means necessary. Again, he couldn't figure out why somebody would want this guy dead, but it didn't matter. He always completed his mission. And it couldn't be a coincidence that it was today he was drugged. Somebody, maybe the intern, must have found out. He quickly scanned the crowd for either of their faces, but they were missing.

He tried to get up, but...
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett