D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:52 pm

Calrick waves a hand, the other draped across his chest, his hat pulled down over his eyes. From his waving hand he showers the cart and boys with harmless multicolored sparks that spit and fizzle before fading away.

"Unless you're Gundren and Sildar in disguise, shove off."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:59 pm

Aimee takes it all in with a smile nodding before trying to look sad and saying, in a not an at all sad voice,

" That's sad but We were supposed to be paid to deliver the cargo, but once I get paid for that I am up for another job! How much does it pay?"

Her hand slowly starts raising again, she checks Balin to see if it is okay now.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:58 pm

Balin just shakes his head no. "What he's not exactly saying, young magican, is that if we want to be paid we'd best go get our employer back from the goblins."
He looks at Barthen. "I assume that we can leave Gundren's wagon here and it will kept safe until we return?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Sep 02, 2019 2:33 pm

"Nope! Gundren wouldn't pay for extras when Saca asked. This is definitely an extra!"

She considers for a moment smiling pleasantly around until her eyes fall on Kryz and she grins,

"At sea what happens when someone breaks a contract? You get the booty right?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:59 pm

Kryz looks uncomfortable and just shrugs. "I dunno, I just got whatever share the captain said I got. I wasn't part of those sorts of things, I just did my job."

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Balin gives Aimee a level look. "You can stay with the wagon then. I'll not leave anyone in the hands of goblins."
He turns to go. "Are you coming or staying, Kryz?"

(( Lawful GOOD.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:27 pm

"I mean... Sure, but we can't take the wagon. We can't just leave it in the road, and bringing it here was the whole point in NOT saving them two hours ago, wasn't it?

Not that we can just leave the stuff here now I don't suppose. I mean, it was supposed to get delivered here, but without Gundren to sign for it, we can hand it over, and we don't get paid, and Barthen here can't sell it because it's Gundren's, and I bet it's hard to find security out here what with all the goblins on the road and all. Really hope we can get this all wrapped up quickly for everyone's sake, I guess. Shame were not really outfitted for that kind of rescue job..."

He looks up to Barthen to see if he's making his point for trying to get some free stuff, then breaks into a casual grin.

Insight: 1D20 = [10] = 10

"Not that it's your problem of course! Just... I wouldn't want to be in your position with a whole bunch of stuff just sitting around waiting for something new who might not be coming back. Or a whole BUNCH of people who might not be coming back."

Persuasion: 1D20+3 = [14]+3 = 17

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:07 pm

Inside Group:

Barthen listens to the group speak, still reeling from the news that his friend is in danger. Then, he seems to look past it and start dealing with the situation at hand. I can take custody of the cart, while you are searching for Gundren. And, well, there is not much I can do to assist you in this mission. As you can see, I have many things, but nothing that would help in combat. But... well, while Gundren was supposed to give me the gold to pass on to you, I suppose I can give it to you now, and he will pay me back upon his safe return. Barthen goes back behind the counter and starts counting out piles of gold.
► Show Spoiler
Outside Group:

"Unless you're Gundren and Sildar in disguise, shove off."

Shove off yourself, shorty! One of the kids yells at Calrick. The other has found a particularly heavy bag of what seems to be jerky of some kind of animal, and the two begin lifting it out of the cart. Yeah! We're part of the Redbrands, the other kid calls to the pair, We own this town! So, the way I sees it, this cart, and everything in it it ours too, get it? Through the eyes of Lewis, Calrick can see that each kid does indeed have a dark red mark on their right hand, seemingly resembling a brand.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:10 pm

"Well, we're not part of this town, so unless you're itching for a smack bottom or a matching red blot on your other hand, you'd better wait with your collection until someone from this town has accepted this cart and everything on it." Saca says threateningly, using (guidance intimidation and) Thaumaturgy to boost her voice and stows away her axe to pull out her warhammer and shield, showing she means business and moves to intervene, so they can't just take off with the bag.

Intimidation (using guidance and Thaumaturgy - bonus unknown - to boost the effect on the redbrand kids): 1D20+1+1D4 = [11]+1+[2] = 14
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:04 am

Aimee nods along with Kryz and is very pleased with the turn of events.

Aimee collects her stack of gold, Saca's and Cal's saying, while beaming at Balin,

"Great! Now I am going to go get stuff so I help save Gundren and Sildar!"

She exits the shop, heads over to Cal and gives him his money and then to Saca and gives her her money. If they kids are still around and are being belligerent she will smile at them before saying to Saca, "Be right back!" and head to the weapons/armor shoppe with a hop to her step. As she goes she will scream horribly, one that would leave a throat bloody, in the minds of the children to assist in her own way (Help) with whatever Saca is trying to accomplish with them.
---
((Rushing through this a bit so I don't hold up the rest of the party for shopping.))

Aimee enters the shop and looks around for some studded leather armor that would fit her, grabs it, takes it to the proprietor and says,

"Hi, I'm Aimee! I want this,"
Holds up the studded armor, "and I will give you this," pulls out a dagger, and then another dagger and hands it to the owner, "and this," she pulls out the crossbow and the bolts and pushes them over, "and this..." she looks around before laying the studded armor on the floor and pulling off her robe and stripping out of her leather armor, zapping it minty clean with prestidigitation and handing (draping?) it over to the shopkeep. She stands there in her undergarments smiling, scratching her bare side absently and pondering the trade. "Oh and probably this since the armor is kinda used." She digs around her robes and pulls out the 10 gold she just got and holds it out.

"Deal?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:21 am

Lewis either flies in to perch on Balin and hoot frantically, or scratches at the window of the shop while doing so.

Calrick has hopped up from his reclined position and has summoned his mage hand, using it to grab hold of a fistful of one of the kids hair.

((Mostly just flavor, but if that's too close to an attack, grabbing the bag instead.))

"Help! Juvenile bandits! Child thieves! Get them Saca, lop off their ears for your own collection!"

((No, Cal doesn't think Saca collects ears, but these dumb kids don't know that! Sam, I know I posted a bunch, so understand if time doesn't allow it, but if telling lies about Saca can serve as a Help Action and give her advantage on her intimidation, I'd like to.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Balin will take the payment offered, but will still be determined to go look for Gundren. When the owl gets his attention, he hurries out the door. Not certain what he's going to find, he unlimbers his war hammer and shield as he barrels out the door, giving a reasonably good imitation of a war machine in full career.
"HALT!" he bellows at the little thieves.
intimidation: 1D20-1 = [18]-1 = 17

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:15 am

Kryz nods in appreciation to the shopkeeper and heads outside to the scene with the cart and the kids. He bounces up to the top of the cart to retrieve his lute and backpack and survey the scene.

Anyone else in town paying attention or headed our way?
Perception: 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:18 pm

Calrick, Saca, Balin, Kryz:

"Well, we're not part of this town, so unless you're itching for a smack bottom or a matching red blot on your other hand, you'd better wait with your collection until someone from this town has accepted this cart and everything on it."

The kids don't seem too impressed by Saca's declaration. This isn't some blot. One of the kids shoves his hand in Saca's face. This is the brand of the Redbrand Ruffians! And you'll regret messing with us! We own this town! Everybody lets us take their stuff! Before he can say anymore, his hair is grabbed by a mysterious hand that seems to come out of nowhere. The boy cries out briefly in pain before clamming up. as he hears Calrick's cry. Hey, let go of him! his companion shouts. Don't take his ears! We'll get you!

Before any further movements can be made, Balin bursts out of the storefront, weapons in hand. "HALT!"

Now the kids are sweating. Outnumbered, outmatched, and one of them trapped, this is clearly not going how they were expecting. They both drop the bag while the kid who is free drops from the cart. The one who Calrick has grabbed stays up, too afraid to risk losing a chunk of hair. Wait! Wait! Don't hurt them!! Barthen comes rushing out behind Balin. They may have tried to steal, but their just children! Please, stay your weapons!

Aimee:
Rushing past Saca and Calrick's attempts to ward off potential thieves, Aimee lets of a terrifying scream, then goes straight to the armorer. She sets down all the goblins gear, 2 small swords, two cross bows, and some arrows, then strips down to her underwear. The shopkeep definitely doesn't know how to respond to this.

Um... no. No deal. The leather armor isn't bad. I'd have to check it for damage, but it should net you 5 gold, if I'm feeling generous. Which I'll be moreso if you put your clothes back on. The scimitars are all but useless. Rusted and too small for the average people. Did you pull these off of a goblin? The crossbows and arrows, hmm... not too bad a condition. I'll have to do some tweaking, and their are barely enough arrows here for a quiver, but they're sturdy. 15 gold for the lot. Add all that up with your 10, and you're still short for the studded armor.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:36 pm

((The scream was directly into the kids' minds using Aimee's awakened mind ability. She also was trading two of her daggers, not the scimtars. I think Saca has those? Also it is Aimee's crossbow and not the goblins' bows. She is essentially selling her starting gear plus 10.))

"15 gold for everything? I bought the crossbow a week ago for 30 and never used it. As you can see the daggers are bright shiny and new as well."

She roots in her robe and pulls out another dagger grinning,

"This is the one I use to stab and cut things! Also that armor is minty fresh and also new! The goblin stabbed me in the leg!"
She shows him the open wound on her leg proudly. "Missed the armor entirely!"

"You can surely do better than 15, enough to get me that armor... and put my clothes back on!"

She smiles and waves her hand distractingly while whispering as she hexes the man's wisdom (in hopes of reducing his judgement). She does pick up her robe in a sign of good faith.
Last edited by Rodgeir on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:15 am

Saca sighs and says: "We didn't harm either of them. Yet. But we have been hired to guard the cart and its contents and if someone tries to takes something off it, who clearly isn't the designated person to receive it, before we're relieved of duty they get business. If they are old enough to commit organized crime, they are old enough to deal with the consequences."to Barthen.

And to the mouthy kid (the one talking in red), she says, after inspecting the "brand": "Fascinating. Like I said, kid, I am no part of this town. If you want to collect whatever is the red rummagers' share, you duke it out with -him-" she nods over to indicate Barthen with her head, "but -after- he inventoried the cart and its contents. I don't care what kind of deal you have with this town, and I sure as Flemmeth's butt don't want to get caught between the lines just for the heck of it, but I'm not loosing any of my fee for guarding this stuff, because you couldn't wait ten minutes." she adds with a grin and a wink to the boy.

(and yes, Saca collected all the goblins' equipment. But I'm happy to sell off the leather armour and the short bows they wielded. If he doesn't want the scimitars, I'll just have to find some forge to either tinker with them or melt them for the metal, that's bound to be worth something.)
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:02 am

Balin slings his shield, but not his hammer, which he begins tapping in his other hand while scowling mightily. "Nits grow into lice." he growls to Barthen. "We'd be doing the magistrate a favor to just squash them now."
He winks to Saca. "Or if you prefer, maybe just the mark of shame on their hands." He points with his hammer to the red mark on the young thieves hands.

((Balin isn't going to pound on them, but since he's got his bluff in he's going to see if he can "convert" them to a more righteous path...or at least teach them not to mess with dwarves! :chuckle: ))

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:53 pm

Aimee:

The shopkeep takes another look at the items sold. Well, The leather armor is in good shape, and since I don't have to keep it I can offer you a little more. And at least I'm not leaving you defenseless without your weapons. I'll give you the deal if, and only if, you do one quick favor for me. I have a friend that needs help. If you help her, I'll give you the armor. In trade for the ret of the offered gear and gold, of course.

Outside:

"We didn't harm either of them. Yet. But we have been hired to guard the cart and its contents and if someone tries to takes something off it, who clearly isn't the designated person to receive it, before we're relieved of duty they get business. If they are old enough to commit organized crime, they are old enough to deal with the consequences."

I know these kids. Jack and Benjamin. Brothers. Their mother died giving birth to Benjamin, and their father turned to the drink. The Redbrands are a menace, I won't say anything different. I can't wait for the day that they face the wrath of the wrong person. But... it's different when you know them, you know?

"Fascinating. Like I said, kid, I am no part of this town. If you want to collect whatever is the red rummagers' share, you duke it out with -him- but -after- he inventoried the cart and its contents. I don't care what kind of deal you have with this town, and I sure as Flemmeth's butt don't want to get caught between the lines just for the heck of it, but I'm not loosing any of my fee for guarding this stuff, because you couldn't wait ten minutes."

The mark you see is a red die, rather than a burn scar, in the shape of three crude bird bird-like drawings making a triangle with an X in the middle.

"Nits grow into lice." he growls to Barthen. "We'd be doing the magistrate a favor to just squash them now.Or if you prefer, maybe just the mark of shame on their hands."

The boy stuck by Calrick's hand on the cart starts struggling, and his brother pulls on his pants, and they break free from the hand. The two boys take off at a sprint, running off down the street.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:53 pm

Balin yells after them "Yes! Run and hide! If I catch you in our stuff again, I won't be so polite!" He pauses for a moment, and puts up his war hammer with a quiet chuckle. He turns to Barthen. "One thing at a time. First we need to see if we can get Gundren back from the goblins before they do something ...unfortunate...to him. Really, though. You've no sheriff, no men-at-arms to deal with common bandits?"

(( Starting to get a Pale Rider or High Plains Drifter vibe from this place. ))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:06 am

"Sure! Gotta be kinda quick though, I'm going to go save Gundren too from the goblins!"

She starts putting her new armor on and dressing.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:01 am

Kryz turns back to Barthen:

"Who are the Redbrands? You going to get trouble from them for this?"

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:28 am

Saca nods, wanting to know more about the redbrands, too. "What about their numbers, their hide-out, or any other useful information you can give us? Also, is it true what they claimed, about everyone in town letting them take stuff? If so, how high is their 'share'?"

Quietly, she's glad she got the full payment for escorting the cart here - thanks to Aimee - already, and wasn't really dependant on the brats not stealing anything, but then again, it would be bad reputation to let someone take wares right under a guard's nose and she might still want to get hired in this town.

"Also, what about Gudren? You ask us to find him, but he himself told us he wouldn't be paying any bonus for additional tasks, therefore I'm not expecting any monetary gratitude from him. So I'm going to ask you straight, as the one requesting this of us: what are you offering us in return to risk our lives in order to possibly safe theirs?"
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:20 am

Kryz looks uncomfortable again and shuffles over to stand near Balin and says, fairly quietly, but not secretively:
"Seems the decent thing to do is to go and try to make sure they don't get eaten. People shouldn't be left to get eaten if you can help it. I'll go with you whenever you're ready to leave."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:28 am

"One way to make sure your employer never hires you again, or never gives you a letter of recommendation is to let them be killed by goblins. There are other ways, but that one is pretty certain. I'm in for a rescue mission. Besides, you'd never find it without me."

Lewis hoots indignantly.

"Without me and Lewis."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:46 pm

Kryz relaxes a little bit.

"Hey, where'd Aimee go?"