D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Home to all current Forum Games.
Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Re: D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:54 am

Aimee puts on her new armor in the shop and smiles at Belor and then the shopkeep.

"I can definitely kill goblins! Got one this morning! I will see you after I get back from saving Gundren from all the goblins to do the favor for your sister that probably isn't killing goblins!"

She waits for Saca (who is coming right?) before setting out after the other three. If Saca wants to try and catch up with them she will jog a little ways to do so but she is content to just walk and hum tunelessly until they eventually catch up at the battle site.

((If neededAthletics : 1D20-1 = [13]-1 = 12
))

Either way at the battle site she will sit down in a grassy spot and declare,

"Whew! How about we take a break for dinner? Then we can sneak up that trail there! Or maybe try it first thing in the morning? I think I read that dragonborn can't see in the dark! Is that right? Very odd, I am nearly certain dragons can!"

((Aimee wants at least short rest to roll a hit dice and get her spell slot back.

HD roll: 1D8+2 = [3]+2 = 5
))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:55 am

((Calrick was intending to set a pace with his 25 ft movement speed what Aimee (and Saca if she's coming) would be able to hustle and catch up. He'd send Lewis back towards Phandilin occasionally, and if the owl spots them, let the others know at least.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:10 am

"Yeah, one each, please. Just deduct the cost from the 15 gold you're giving me for the goblin equipment. Which direction and how far is that blue Lion? Because if we haven't passed it on our way here, I very much doubt we'll see it on our way back.
Also, you haven't answered my questions about the horses or the vermin." Saca
finishes up with the shopkeep.

(The vermin are meant as a snack/treat for Lewis, btw. Also, how much is the wire?)

Athletics: 1D20+2 = [3]+2 = 5
Saca clearly doesn't feel like running after the others, and just waddles along the path like a proper dwarf.

(...and we never got a ruling from you, Sam, if the ride on the cart into town would allow a short rest, maybe you could answer that still, please? :) )
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:54 pm

5 silver for the wire. The shopkeep picks up the bags on the floor, takes them over to the counter, sets the items he is taking from Saca for the trade down behind the counter while leaving the Scimitars, and then sets the wire, bag of Caltrops, and Ball Bearings down along with a pile of 12 gold pieces, and 5 silver ones. The Blue Lion is just a little bit down the road, The shopkeep waves a hand in the opposite direction of Barthen's Provisions, and the trail head. Go past the inn, and it's right on the other side of the square. About 5 minute walk, if you go slow. I think they have a few horses to rent, though they're expensive. And no, I don't have any dead vermin for sale. Don't think anybody sells things like that around here.
► Show Spoiler

"I can definitely kill goblins! Got one this morning! I will see you after I get back from saving Gundren from all the goblins to do the favor for your sister that probably isn't killing goblins!"

Not my sister. Oh, whatever. Come back alive and I'll point you where you need to go.

Before I post more, are Balin, Calrick, and Kryz waiting for Aimee and Saca when they get to the ambush site? Also, is Saca done shopping? Don't want to rush anybody, just want to know.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:13 pm

Kryz is following Balin and Carrick. Not sure he'd wait, just because they didn't say they were coming with us, but he'll do what the other two want.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:29 pm

If Lewis returns to say Aimee and/or Saca are on their way, he'll suggest they wait.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:46 pm

Balin would only wait if he'd been told they were actually coming. His previous conversations with them definitely did not make them sound enthusiastic about it, so he wouldn't be necessarily expecting them to come.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:07 am

((So depends on IF they are coming, and if Lewis reports that they are. Cal wouldn't head off road without his bird either, since Lewis followed the goblin to the hideout. So if Lewis is still out scouting, he'll try to call to him if he's in range.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:10 am

((Aimee is definitely coming and it seems like Saca is as well. We are probably at most 10-15 minutes behind you. Depending on how straight the road is you may be able see us coming if you look, you won't even be a mile away as 5e estimates you're moving less than 3 miles per hour.))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:30 am

((Aimee, if she were walking alone would be making up a half mile on us every hour, but Saca's short legs will slow her (if Saca is coming).)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:38 am

((I can already see the math story problem. A dwarf, a gnome and a dragonborn leave town in a group at 14:00 heading west. A half elf leaves town at 14:15 heading the same direction. The typical speed of the average land dwarf and gnome is 25 ft every 6 seconds. The dragonborn moves 30 ft every 6 seconds but decides to remain with the gnome and dwarf. The half elf moves 30 ft every 6 seconds. At what time will the half elf pass the group and how far will they have all traveled? Bonus points if you can identify the color of the dragonborn.))

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:46 am

((Hmm.... But is Balin a 'typical dwarf' ? He's almost as tall as Aimee.))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:45 am

((Okay. The atypical land dwarf whose walking speed is still 25ft per 6 seconds. :D))

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:28 am

(( yes, Saca is coming as well. Why whould she say "we're in a rush" to the shopkeep and even make an athletics roll, if she wasn't coming?
She just didn't want to go there unprepared, geez.
And yes, I'd very much like to stop by the Blue Lion and see if they have a healer's kit and oil for sale, possibly even manacles. Assuming 5 minutes there and 5 minutes back, that still should allow Saca to catch up with the rest of the gang before Cal calls off his owl from looking for them. Here's hoping there's no line in that shop. XD))

Saca is glad to see Aimee come back through that door and being dressed as well. "Kryz dropped in earlier, in an awful hurry, telling us the rest of them were off to rescue Gundren. I want to go as well, but I would like to stop by that other shop first. We don't know what condition he and Sildar will be in, when we find them, and a healer's kit might make all the difference. But I'm assuming at the latest, when they're trying to track their trail to their hide-out, we should be able to catch up, because tracking is slow business."
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:52 am

((Still handy to have, but mechanically all a healer's kit does is allow someone at 0 HP and dying to be stabilized (0 HP, so unconscious, but not dying) without the need for a Medicine check to stabilize.) Won't restore HP, so as long as Saca or Balin have slots left, magical healing will always be better. But, good in a pinch, just didn't want you to get your expectation up.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Aimee smiles and nods.

"Sounds like a good idea to have more stuff! Although technically now I have less stuff but I personally think the stuff I now have is superior to the stuff I had
!" She considers the catching up, "We can always come in and save them too because they didn't wait for us! That'd be fun."

She goes with Saca to get the stuff before going with her after the rest of the group, still wanting atleast a short rest at the fight site.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:17 pm

((To be fair, Saca didn't say she was coming IC, she just went shopping... :) I don't think she answered Kryz's yelling except to query the gnome thing))

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:38 pm

((@ TL: The way you wrote it, you made me think Kryz was already out the door again BEFORE Saca had any chance of answering to him. Why tell thin air that she plans on coming?

Also, thanks on the heads-up about the med healer's kit, but in all honesty, I do like RPing enough that I'd rather have her spend the money on something that allows for me to have her "take out the smelling salt" or something. ^^ Also, it's a great insurance in case she's down and Balin is out of spell slots for the day. It's not always "who watches the watchers?", but sometimes also "who heals the healers?" :lol: ))

Saca grins. "I like the way you think, Aimee. So, how about we talk a bit about what we each can do, individually, so we can come up with ideas of what we can do together? The last encounter with the goblins was a bit chaotic, and it was more luck than anything else that we all got out of it alive. I would very much like to be a bit more organized, a bit more synergized the next time we have to fight or face a hairy situation, so we don't have to rely on luck."

((We don't have to play this out, it's just my way of - if Aimee agrees - justify why/how Saca knows what Aimee can do and how they can play out their strengths together, like her hexing someone and Saca trying to charm/command them and suchlike, as discussed in OOC thread. ))
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:55 pm

While Aimee walks with Saca she will tell her all about what she can do currently, but not how she can do it. She is quite interested in, and of course happy about, how this can help them in the coming encounter and beyond.

((It probably isn't clear to Aimee what she will be able to do in the future though.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:05 pm

((That's fair. It was mostly written all at once for the forum format and because I don't have a vast amount of time to check in through the day and didn't want K to be left behind. If Saca had answered, he'd have run back or paused to listen, but it's not a problem))

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:43 pm

Alright. In the interests of moving things along, if you don't mind, Gathers, I'll skip roleplaying the rest of your shopping and speed you up till you both are caught up with the rest of the group. Healers Kit would be 5 gp, manacles would be 2 gp, and a flask of oil would be 1 sp, making all of them 7 gp, 1 sp. Renting a horse would be 25 gp.

Otherwise:

The party finds themselves at the spot where the ambush happened later that day. The sun is low in the sky. Balin is able to find the trail the goblin escaped from fairly easily, and Calrick/Lewis can verify. If you're going down the trail, mention what order you're going in.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:54 pm

((Point of clarification: Only those on the wagon got a short rest? ))

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:24 pm

((Yes. Only those who rested on the wagon received a short rest.))

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:19 pm

Kryz will follow after Balin. Just because the large dwarf is easier to hide behind and looks like he knows what he's doing.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:42 pm

(( If Balin knew what he was doing, he'd let someone else be the meat shield! :P ))

Balin will be lead...because he's tracking.