D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Home to all current Forum Games.
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:48 am

Balin shakes his head and clears it some. He places a bruised hand upon himself and attempts to heal some of the damage.
Self healing: 1d8+2 = [1] = 3

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:20 am

Aimee sees that they are probably not going to be taking that break, even if it means the party will have to have drag itself into a fight.

"Hey, so I am pretty good at sneaking and can go up and zap the goblins before they see me! There are two of them? No problem and you can stay outta sight until they are either dead or come to get me! Great plan ya?"

She pantomimes blasting them with a grin.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:36 am

► Show Spoiler
Saca listens to Aimee and whispers: "I can make you even sneakier, but it will only last a minute."
Out loud she says:"Maybe you should check out the situation first and then come back and report what you have seen to us, so we all know what we're dealing with? Our goal is to rescue Gundren and Sildar and I don't know if zapping goblins at random is going to achieve that."
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:59 am

((I think we already know that there are two goblins and how things look from Cal?

And Saca's sneaky power enhancer lasts an hour, not a minute!))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:11 am

((Guidance has verbal and somatic components, I may have been presuming, I guess I've just seen most clerics that use it flavoring that as a prayer, but so far you've been keeping it up constantly, so is Saca walking around gesturing to the sky and muttering "Oh god, help me..." at least once a minute?))

((Sam hasn't said what Lewis sees with his 9, so not sure what the current sentry situation is.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:36 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:47 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:55 am

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:03 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:05 am

((Aimee is up for checking things out too, without shooting anyone.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:27 pm

"Want me to come? I can bring my lute."

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:53 pm

► Show Spoiler
Lewis flies out to report on what's changed since he last scouted, but as the sun is slowly going down, his vision seems to be somewhat impaired. His report is mostly the same, but less detailed. About 30 minutes walk up ahead there is a river that flows out of a cave. Cut into some brambles on the far edge is some goblins, though he can't tell how many there are.

Let me know who is going to try to sneak up on the goblins, and everybody who is going roll stealth.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:04 pm

Cal relays all of that to the others.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 pm

"So! Same plan except I look, report back and then we can decide how best to blast? My money is on Gundred and Sildar being in the cave so I can check to see how deep it is too!"

She looks at Kryz and adds, "I would love to have musical accompaniment but from my experience it makes it harder to sneak!"

If the party agrees and when they get within about 5 minutes of the cave she starts sneaking. Hopefully Saca makes her super sneaky.

Sneaking with advantage: 2D20.HIGH(1)+4 = [10, 2]+4 = 14

She will try to stay out of sight of the goblins and look into the cave before trying to get a count on the goblins outside.

Looking while sneaking: 1D20+1 = [9]+1 = 10

Should all that go well she will sneak back to the group and report her findings. Should it go poorly she will instead run back to the group lickity-splity.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 am

Kryz shrugs and lets Aimee go on ahead, as he quietly checks the tuning on his lute while he waits for her to come back.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:37 pm

How far is Aimee wanting to go inside the cave?

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:20 pm

Balin is going to take the opportunity to sit for a bit.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:05 pm

((Lewis has instructions to perch within view of the entrance, and fly back and alert Cal and the others if she runs into trouble.))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:31 am

Aimee would check to see if it is a short cave or looks more like a tunnel and listen if there is anyone near the entrance that would be alerted when they deal with the goblins. So probably just past the entrance as long as she doesn't see someone before that.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:11 pm

Rodgeir wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:35 pm "So! Same plan except I look, report back and then we can decide how best to blast? My money is on Gundred and Sildar being in the cave so I can check to see how deep it is too!"
If the party agrees and when they get within about 5 minutes of the cave she starts sneaking. Hopefully Saca makes her super sneaky.
(Yes, ofc, Saca applies the blessing of the trickster on Aimee. And guidance, though that will probably wear off before she even gets to where it's interesting.)
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:18 pm

((Didn't add the blessing since it would wear off, but Aimee appreciates the sentiment in her own odd, enthusiastic way.))

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:38 pm

Aimee walks toward the mouth of the cave. The last few hundred feet follow a river flowing downhill away from the mouth of the cave. The northern slope is completely surrounded by a rough thicket. As Aimee gets to the mouth of the cave, she sees two goblins in an area hidden by the thickets, clearly set up for an ambush. The ambushing goblins are too busy playing some sort of dice game to notice Aimee.

Just inside the cave mouth, a few uneven stone steps lead up to a small, dank chamber on the east side of the passage. The cave narrows to a steep fissure at the far end, and is filled with the stench of animals. Savage snarls and the sounds of rattling chains greet her ears where two wolves are chained up just inside the opening. Each wolf's chain leads to an iron rod driven into the base of a stalagmite. They are sniffing the air, searching for a new scent. Meanwhile, a small path is carved into the side of the river, leading up into the cave, but it's too dark to get a good view of what's up the path.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:57 pm

Aimee hurries back to the others to report the layout.

"Maybe don't need to blast the goblins but going to need to blast those wolves..."

She ponders for a second.

"Back to plan A of me sneaking up and blasting those two goblins and you covering me when they get close? Gundren and Sildar weren't outside so I guess we go in?"

((In the off chance her plan is agreed to: ))

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:22 pm

((Cal and Kryz are decently sneaky if we want to try to get a sneak going. I've got the same range on firebolt as Aimee does on EB, so we can double blast, but dwarves aren't sneaky even before their armor disadvantage, so we'll be limited in how close they can get before things pop off...))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:13 pm

(( Sneaky, no. Good at breaking down doors and smashing things, probably. :chuckle: ))