D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Home to all current Forum Games.
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:08 am

(( Actually, if there is sneaking involved, I think it would be better if Saca used her disguise self spell and "dressed" herself up as one of the goblins that we killed outside. She doesn't need to fool the sentry for long (so not being to talk doesn't matter much), she just needs to get in range to shoot him without him getting alarmed and without having to sneak (still doing that with a disadvantage).

Saca would quietly talk this over with people back near the crevice (where we don't need to be stealthy yet) BEFORE Aimee goes off to kill the lone goblin. Is that possible please (because I didn't get the info that prompted this decision earlier)? :)
Also, do I have to roll something for the disguise self spell (like with a harmful spell)? ))
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:11 am

Lurks_In_Shadows wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:30 pm "Hmmm. Maybe nowhere, maybe into the caves. Might be the reason the wolves were here." He looks at his own girth. "Be a bit of a tight fit for me. And that's if it doesn't narrow further."
"Theres a space up there... I can see light. It'd be a tricky climb, but it's doable. Want to see where it goes?"

Kryz cancels his light spell and grins at Balin.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:30 am

Aimee is caught in a state of pre-blast/pre-sneak until some decides to let her know about the crevice, or not.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:59 am

Kryz grins at Balin and scampers to find Aimee, tapping her on the shoulder and whispering:

"I found a secret tunnel! Want to see where it goes?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:32 pm

Aimee lowers her blasting hand as she starts sneaking, eye widening in joy as she talks in Kryz's brain,

"Oh my gods, yes!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:56 pm

Calrick reports Kryz's arrival.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Alright. A lot is happening right now, and I just want to make sure I have it all. Rod, are you abandoning Aimee's action of trying to take out the goblin sentry to explore the tunnel?

Gathers, if Aimee is wanting to explore the tunnel do you still want to try to sneak up to the guard? I dont know off the top of my head what you need to roll for disguise self, but I'll check when I get home.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:57 pm

thinkslogically wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:11 am "Theres a space up there... I can see light. It'd be a tricky climb, but it's doable. Want to see where it goes?"

Kryz cancels his light spell and grins at Balin.
Balin gives a grin. "Always better to go in the back door than the front."

(( A little out of sequence. I wasn't able to get free to do any posting until now. ))

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:20 am

((Aimee would wait until the crevasse was explored, if it turns out to be impassable we can use the rolls from before.))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:56 am

"Get the others then and we'll see where it goes. You and me are skinny enough to fit."

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:12 am

If Calrick heard about the crevasse via Lewis, he'll blink, returning to his own senses and ask Balin what that's all about.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:21 am

"Yep!"

Aimee waves Saca and mind whispers about the hole in the wall. Getting back to Balin and Cal she immediately sticks her head in the crevasse to judge its size.

She brain asks Cal,

"Where's Lewis? He probably won't get stuck in there? If he does I will go get him!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:05 am

Calrick vanishes Lewis and has him *poof* into existence next to her, before giving him mental instructions to explore the crack, please.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:54 am

Aimee is so immensely pleased by the owl appearing she gives a nearly silently squeal of happiness!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:02 pm

Lewis can see that the shaft is about 30 feet high. In several spots, some of the waste and refuse that litter the back of the kennel area are on the path up. Slipping could potentially be an issue. When Lewis gets to the top, his view is partially blocked by stalagmites. He can see the center of the room and some vague details surrounding it, but nothing further. In the center of the room is a roaring fire with several creatures surrounding it. These seem to include two goblins, another wolf, and what Calrick would recognize from various books and bestiaries as a bugbear. On the south side of the room, from what Lewis can tell, are a bunch of boxes and bags filled with various loot. Apparently Gundren wasn't their first target.

If you want Lewis to explore more, roll perception and stealth. (Well, unless you don't care about him being sneaky)

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:56 pm

Calrick will convey all of that back to the party first.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:50 am

Balin frowns.
"So. A back door in, but the climb is going to be difficult and almost impossible to be silent. And some potentially tough opponents waiting at the top and who are bound to hear us coming. Which would be bad enough by itself, but they could also send for reinforcements. We could be facing a lot more by the time we got to the top."
He pauses and looks thoughtful, tapping his chin with a finger.
"Tough approach, no chance of surprising them, bad odds, and fighting at a disadvantage, a high chance of capture or death. Sounds like fun! Who wants to go?" he says with a wicked grin.
CoD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lurks_In_Shadows on Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:58 am

Aimee raises her hand in excitement at the question.

"Me! I want to!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:56 am

Calrick does not look enthused at the idea of crawling up a nasty path where they are likely to be killed. He recalls Lewis and soothes the owl.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:50 am

((nope, Saca wouldn't want to sneak alone. She knows she's not the sneakiest with the armour on and neitheer the deadliest.

With all this new information, I would suggest going back and trying the lone guard. We don't know where gundren is yet (unless I somehow missed that bit. nor do we know what is behind the lone guard. Even if he is just "in front of " the other room that lewis now observed, killing him quietly first would mean that we don't have to deal with him later when/if an alarm is raised.

I'm not wiriting down any action nor doing any rolls yet, as I don't know what the other people want... ^^ ))
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:29 pm

((Just to be clear, Aimee is up for literally anything. She will try to climb even though she is terrible at it or she will try to take out the lone goblin guard. She would even be up for calling it a day and going back to town! The world is wide open for her now.))

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:01 pm

((Balin is being a little sarcastic...probably. You never know.... :P ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:40 pm

Kryz shrugs his pack off his shoulders and pulls out a rope which he loops over himself, tying a bowlin knot (tp make a loop) in one end with practised ease.

"They didn't care about the wolves barking, maybe they won't care about some clattering. Besides, we might as well keep the option open."

He grins at Aimee and begins to climb, trying to imagine it's as easy as climbing the rigging on a ship.

Athletics: 1D20+4 = [10]+4 = 14

If he makes it, hell pause near the top, and hook the rope loop securely over a likely-looking bit of rock and then, unable to entirely help himself, will peek his head up into the room above to see what he can see for himself (staying on the wall, not entering the room).

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:26 pm

As Kryz climbs the small path, he is able to make slow, but steady progress. His time on the high seas improving his balance enough to climb without issue. There don't seem to be any extremely solid places to hook the rope from the edge of the fissure. He could try to hook it around the edge, which could give a small boost to stability, but it could easily fall if shaken too much. There are stalactites not too far into the cave area that could provide a much more stable anchor point, if he wants to risk getting the rope around them.

Kryz doesn't see much more than Lewis did. Some goblins are sitting around the fire in the center of the room, with a larger creature that must be the bugbear. The bugbear is sitting right next to another wolf, though this one seems much better fed than the others. There are various bags and boxes presumably full of loot, though you can't tell what is in any of them from here.
@Gathers and Spider, 3-2 with Kryz taking the initiative of making an action seem to push it in the pro-climbing area. There is nothing stopping both of you trying to take out the guard together on your own, or trying to convince the yes team to change their minds.
► Show Spoiler

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:08 am

Aimee watches excitedly as Kryz climbs up.