D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Home to all current Forum Games.
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: D&D 5e: The Lost Mines of Phandelver

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:09 pm

Balin leaves the inn to go shopping, finding most stores already closed for the night. He does manage to find one, not too far away from the inn, however, that still is. Assuming he goes in, Balin finds a single lonely and tired-eyed shopkeep that nods in greeting when he walks in, but otherwise lets Balin peruse the wares unless otherwise needed. It boasts several magic items that are far, far above anything he could afford at the moment, but it also has a fair bit of regular weapons and armor too.

Weapons
Dagger--2gp
Handax--5gp
Mace--5hp
Sicle--1gp
Light Crossbow--25gp
Shortbow--25gp
Battleax--10gp
Greatax--30gp
Maul--10gp
Pike--5gp
Heavy Crossbow--50gp
Longbow--50gp
Net--1gp
Bolts (20)--1gp
Arrows (20)--1gp

Armor
Leather--10gp
Hide--10gp
Chainmail--75gp
Shield--10gp

Adventuring Gear
Ball Bearings (Bag of 1000)--1gp
Crobar--2gp
Chest--5gp
Clothes-Common--5sp
Healing Potion--50gp
Rations 1 day--5sp
Sack--1cp
Tinderbox --5sp
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:05 pm

GathersIngredients wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm "Bye Gundren and Sildar. Have a safe trip!"

Saca can't help but find herself amused by Aimee and Kryz. Since Aimee is going to bed so soon, she looks over to the blue creature and asks him jovially: "Why don't you tell me a little bit more about your time at sea, if you please? What kind of paint/dye did they use to make the orange markings on you, for example?"
"Hmm? Oh I dunno actually, just regular boat paint. It really sticks. Look, this has been stuck to my scales for like three weeks now"

Kryz pulls the shoulder of his shirt open a bit to show Saca the flaked remains of orange paint stripes on his chest that are well stuck to his scales.

"I dunno what to tell you about the sailing really. I work- worked- on a trade ship, ferrying goods from Neverwinter to the islands out west and back. It was my first real job as a boy, and it's been what I've done ever since. There's just something about it out there that gets into your bones I guess! I've seen some weird stuff tho. Swimming islands, merfolk... Oh! And this one night, we heard this weird howling from right close by, but when we shone the lamps it was gone. Creeped the captain enough that he changed course then and there and added a week to our journey! Noone was happy about that, but... If you'd seen his face when he heard that sound, you'd know there was no arguing with him. Seen a bunch of dolphins too. I like working on deck when they're around, they're good fun."
Last edited by thinkslogically on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:17 pm

Balin looks around a bit, grabs a crowbar and 5 sacks. He looks at the clerk. "Any rope or a grappling hook?"

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:52 pm

The storekeep reacts slowly to Balin's question. ...Hemp or silk rope? No grappling hook. Maybe tie some caltrops together?

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Balin just gives him a look at his caltrop suggestion.
"What's the prices on the rope?"

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:57 pm

The standard. 50 foot loops, 1gp for the hemp, 10 for silk.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:36 am

He grunts.
"50' of hemp please" He mutters under his breath "Never bad to have extra rope."
He makes his purchases and heads back to the inn.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:43 am

Never enough rope. For all of it, 3 gold, 5 copper.

Assuming Balin gives him 4 gold, he will get 5 cp and 9 sp back.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:54 am

(( Confirmed and character sheet updated. :thumbsup: ))

Balin makes his way back to the inn. He leaves instructions to be woken an hour before sunrise and then heads to bed.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:20 am

Alright. Does anybody else want to go shopping or do anything else?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:31 am

Aimee is going to get up about the same time as Balin, maybe a little earlier, and come down and read/eat breakfast.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:36 pm

► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:14 pm

You could probably buy a hatchet for 1gp and 5sp. It couldn't be used for combat, but for chopping wood and things, it would do fine. And no room for a barrel on the cart.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:37 pm

(( Looks like Saca is going to be "on the wagon" for the next few days figuratively and literally! Unless she plans to smuggle a few bottles in her gear. ;) ))

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Kryz stays in the bar as the others leave, preferring to practice a little music quietly on his lute, in the corner of the bar. He's good at it, and hums a tune as an accompaniment as he plays.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:51 pm

As Balin and Saca finish their shopping, and Kryz practices his musical talents, and the night slowly winds down, the adventurers go to sleep. Upon waking, they come down to the main common area to find a waiter passing plates of eggs and meat to tired occupants of the other rooms.

Whoever first comes down, (I'm guessing Aimee) is called over by the waiter. He nods to a short figure waiting at the bar.He's with you. Came in after everybody went out last night. Said he was with Gundren, same job as you guys.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:07 pm

Aimee perks up on hearing this and moves quickly to the little person, hand extended.

"Hi, I'm Aimee! You are going to Phandelver too? Great! We already have a dragonborn, he is so blue! We have Balin he is mostly brown and a dwarf and we have Saca she is...well she has red hair and is also a dwarf but I think a different kind but I didn't ask? Have you been to Phandelver before? Did you get your own room here last night? Oh what's your name!?"
Last edited by Rodgeir on Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 pm

Balin comes down a few minutes latter. As he collects his food, the waiter informs him of the addition to the party. He turns and looks at the newcomer with his head cocked. He walks over with his food and a large mug of tea and sits down next to the gnome. He nods to Aimee, and introduces himself. "Balin Stonefist. You have your bona fides? No offense, but Gundren didn't mention you and you weren't here last night. We weren't given authority to add other members to the party."

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:03 am

Aimee smiles to see that Balin is also an early riser, more time for them to chat on the trip!

"See! Brown. And a dwarf."

Seeing Balin's food she stands,

"Going to get some food, be right back."

She gets some porridge an apple and some tea before hurrying back to hear Balin grilling the new guy.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:42 am

Kryz is awake early as well, and orders breakfast happily once he confirms that he doesn't need to pay out of pocket for it.

He waves at Aimee and gives her a toothy grin, sitting down with her and Balin and the new gnome.

"Where'd you all get to last night then? Saw you come back with a bag of stuff, but it was kind of late and you went to bed pretty quick."

"Hi. I'm Kryz by the way."

He extends a callused hand to the gnome.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:12 am

"Hi, I'm Aimee! You are going to Phandelver too? Great! We already have a dragonborn, he is so blue! We have Balin he is mostly brown and a dwarf and we have Saca she is...well she has red hair and is also a dwarf but I think a different kind but I didn't ask? Have you been to Phandelver before? Did you get your own room here last night? Oh what's your name!?"

Calrick spins around on his stool, his eyes going wide with excitement. What you see is a gnome of average height, but greater than average width, wearing dark green robes that look like they were probably fairly nice once, but are looking a bit inkstained and... burnt? There seems to be a scattering of pock holes in the garment, some darker around the edges. His unruly auburn hair is the nesting place for an off kilter pair of spectacles, and it looks as if one of his eyebrows is in the process of growing back in.

"Oh, ah, yes. good morning Amy! I sure am, talked to that Gundren fellow on my way here he said I should join you. A blue dragonborn, you say? Oooo, do you think they'd let me watch take notes on their discharge? I had an opportunity to an autopsy on red and green dragonborn before, but understanding the source of the lightning they breath would be quite fascinating! It's magical, of course, but there are physiological differences that one finds between different subraces. Just think,, he waves his hand excitedly, nearly overbalancing off the stool before catching himself, ,"what if one were able to breathe ALL of the different forms?!"

"Mostly brown, and entirely dwarf you say? I find most dwarves to be very dwarfy. The other has red hair? Like a bright red, or more brown red like mine? Nope, never been to Phandelver, looking forward to it though!"

"I got in too late last night, the owner let me bunk down near the hearth... oh, I'm Calrick, by the way. Calrick Wibblepingle.", he finally notices her extended hand and shakes it. She now has a smudge of ink on her hand.

"Balin Stonefist. You have your bona fides? No offense, but Gundren didn't mention you and you weren't here last night. We weren't given authority to add other members to the party."

"Ah, Balin Stonefist, good to meet you, I'm Calrick Wibblepingle. Well, you needn't worry about that, as I'm added under his authority... one moment...", he pats himself, muttering and eventually finding a crumpled sheet of paper and peering at it. "I think that's the one... now where are those blasted spectac-- oh. There they are."

He retrieves the spectacles from atop his head and settles them on his nose, checking to make sure it is indeed the Help Wanted poster. He hands it over to Balin and sets his spectacles back on his head, somehow perched even more crooked than before.

"He wrote my introduction on the back."

The Help Wanted poster was presumably posted at the same time as all of the others, but somehow is smudged in ink, and even burnt in a few places.

As Balin looks it over, Calrick returns to his breakfast... or at least intends to, absentmindedly lifting a bite from Balin's plate before realizing and putting it back.

"See! Brown. And a dwarf."

Calrick nods solemnly, "Right you were."

"Hi. I'm Kryz by the way."

"Greeting Chris the Blue! It doesn't have to be right now, but I'd be fascinated to study your breath ability at some point... when it's convenient for you, of course."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:50 am

Kryz blinks.

"Uh... Just... Chris is fine. You pair are really into mouths aren't you?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:54 am

"Alright then Chris... mouths? I mean, I guess so... I use my mouth to eat, to breathe, to talk... rather need it to cast most spells, so I'd say that yes. Yes, mouths are important."

He puts his to use by filling it with porridge and a bite of sausage, kicking his feet merrily while Balin inspects his 'credentials'.

((Sam, if Gundren didn't actually write anything on the back of the poster, that's fine too!))
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:11 am

"She was all interested in my teeth yesterday is all and now you want to see me sneeze... It's pretty weird. Anyway, just sos I know, are you pair planning on doing this the whole trip?"

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:14 am

Aimee is very pleased to meet Calrick and ignores the ink on her hand, wiping it on her robe absently while she ponders Saca's hair color.

"Lighter orangish. Not red." She gives a happy nod on the correct answer.

She whispers when Kryz gets there,

"He let me look at his teeth and said when he is frightened he sparks."

More loudly, regarding mouths,

"Exceedingly important Kryz! I am surprised you didn't know that!"

And then, happy confused,

"Doing what?"
Last edited by Rodgeir on Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.