The Lost Mines of Phandelver OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Re: The Lost Mines of Phandelver OOC

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:18 pm

SamWiser wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:16 am @Gathers, if you want to speak with Sildar without Gundren hearing you, you'll have to roll Stealth for it. You can edit it into your post or add it here.

@Lurks, can you give me a better idea of what you are hoping to learn with that insight roll?
Impression as to how trustworthy the others are. Not that he wouldn't still feed Kryz ( it is a character trait and he is LG), but that doesn't mean he isn't trying to figure out who he needs to be watching for shinanigans. I'm afraid his background is going to make him a bit of a stick in the mud as far as the others are concerned.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:34 pm

So Lurks is trying to determine alignment? Kinda depends on how you see them. Any lawful alignment would probably be the most likely to keep their word and any chaotic to be the most full of shenanigans.

Otherwise not sure if Sam knows enough about the PCs to determine that? :shrug:

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:04 pm

More of a first impression rather than anything else. " This person seems honest. This person is a snake oil salesman, etc." What the insight might be good for is determining just how accurate that impression is. It doesn't need to be precise. I might have an idea from character sheets who's likely to give Balin a hard time (or lack there of), but BALIN doesn't know that. I'm using the roll to avoid too much metaknowledge. And that's another thing the dice can do: put limits on how much knowledge can be used in game. Three of us have been GMs before ourselves (although the last time I did it, it was still AD&D). That means we can have an unfair knowledge advantage that would not normally be available to an in game character. The dice can serve as a check and balance on that.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:22 pm

I guess I am more wondering how Sam is going to figure that stuff out for the PCs. I don't even know Aimee well enough yet to have a good answer.

Good point with the meta knowledge though. I frequently run numbers and odds but have to step back and think, "Would my PC do this or would they just attack the big guy?"

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:36 pm

I usually just let players resolve an insight roll against their own character, potentially with a PM'd deception roll to the DM if they're trying to hide something. It's a bit of an awkward one to resolve tho. I'll wait to hear what Sam wants to do either way. Or they can reply for Kryz, I don't mind.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:33 pm

I like Think's way of dealing with it. For the most part at least. I'll answer for Gundren and Sildar, and the PC's can try to give the best answer they can.

Also,
GathersIngredients wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:00 pm I don't think she's trying to get it past him unnoticed. I mean he's bound to see her leaning over to Sildar, so why would she try to not have him hear it.
I think she's being kind of rude (asking about/criticising him as if he's not there), but in the most polite way possible (doing it quietly, so he can ignore it, if he chooses to). Talk about lack of sense for social conventions.... Luckily, though, she's not been/being hired for her good manners. :lol:

Also, did everyone not notice Saca's question about leaving at sunrise (except Aimee) and Gundren's offer for food and some drinks being paid by him on a player level or on a character level?
Okay, cool. Rude, I can deal with. But the difficulty check on that would have been very high, for obvious reasons.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:40 am

So, if any of you want to go shopping, we can do that now. Since Aimee is asleep already, I could say she woke up early and is shopping before the others wake up. Or, if you don't want to rp a shopping trip, I can just give you guys a list of what's available.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:16 am

Since food is being provided Aimee isn't going to buy anything.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:05 pm

So, how final is the equipment that came with Saca's char sheet and/or her money? Do I get any say in her stuff?

And a list of what's available would be great in any case. :)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:48 pm

These were the options:

You start with the following items, plus anything provided by your Background.

• (a) a mace or (b) a Warhammer (if proficient)
• (a) Scale Mail, (b) Leather Armor, or (c) Chain Mail (if proficient)
• (a) a Light Crossbow and 20 bolts or (b) any simple weapon
• (a) a Priest's Pack or (b) an Explorer's Pack
• A Shield and a holy Symbol

I just picked you:
-a warhammer (like a mace but better)
-Scale mail (better than leather and you can't wear chain)
-Light crossbow (ranged option)
-Explorers' pack (Uh... Slightly better stuff in explorers pack))
-You got have a shield and holy symbol :thumbsup:

You can instead choose money (5d4 x 10 gold) to buy whatever but that can be risky leaving you with far less than standard starting gear and background gear. Even an average roll for gold is far less than just taking the standard.

Oh and your background stuff is:

A set of artisan’s tools (one of your choice - you picked brewer's), a shovel, an iron pot, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 10 gp

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:41 pm

Yep. Balin gets Chain because he's proficient in it (Mountain dwarf). Warhammer is technically a proficiency based item, but it can be a race benefit. His armor colors are based on the description of what the priests of his order wear. You can dig a lot of background material up Googling the internet, but you have to check your sources. No homebrew stuff without the DM's say-so and certain reference materials may not be allowed. (For example, Sam may not want to be using material in Xanathar's Guide. He may want to run a straight basic rules game.)

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:52 pm

Sam has confirmed we only get the player's handbook.

Balin gets chain cus he is a Life cleric, not cus he is a mountain dwarf ;). But it looks like Saca doesn't have medium armor proficiency (which mountain dwarves do) so she would only be able to have light armor? Much more squishy then.

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:51 pm

Ah, my mistake. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of where some of that comes from. :chuckle: I didn't play cleric often in the past, so I'm not quite as familiar with the class.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:19 pm

So, Saca can't even wear the scale mail she has, did I understand that right?

And I was just curious how some people got 10 ft of rope and others got 50. And some have hemp and other have silk (still ropes, mind you)...

What are the damage values of the weapons you listed, please?

Also, is the pot she has big enough/suited to brew beer in? I'm imagining that the miners (if there are any at the place we're supposed to be going) will be mighty thirsty and possibly would approve of a good drink. ^^

Also, @lurks: what is a suttler, please? I didn't find it in my online dictionary.
► Show Spoiler

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Silken rope is stronger than hemp, but more expensive per foot. The default explorer pack includes 50 ft of hemp rope. Not sure where the silk came from. :shrug:
A sutler ( should be just one 't'. I misspelled it. )is basically a general store type salesperson. Dry goods, equipment, provisions. The traditional usage was a merchant who followed an army around selling goods to the soldiers, but in later years the term could apply to a permanent store that sold provisions to miners, ranchers, settlers and the like. Kind of a frontier style hardware store. :)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:49 pm

List of all weapons in DND. This will help you get the attack values.
► Show Spoiler

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:43 am

Gathers, you are correct in your reading that Saca can't have scale armor. I will fix it on your character sheet.

The iron pot isn't great for brewering. It isn't really big enough, plus it's iron which is going to impact taste. Your brewer's supplies weigh 8 pounds so I would guess you have some malt, hops, other spices, a stir stick and some tubing. According to the rules she can brew 125 mugs in 8 hours though :shrug: .

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:31 am

:o_O: That's....actually quite impressive. Both in the amount of time and the amount of material in that case. Must be some magic involved! :chuckle:

Sam, how much did the meals at the inn cost or was that a covered expense in this case? I'm trying to get my expenditures down.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:05 am

The meals at the inn were covered by Gundren.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:21 pm

Okay, so this is embarrassing but all clerics get medium armor proficiency. I knew I read that Saca had that but got stuck on her racial proficiencies.

So good news! Saca has scale mail again. Sorry. :oops: I will fix it again.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:52 pm

Everybody, meet your new party member, SpiderWrangler, playing Calrick, the gnome wizard!

He messaged me asking if it was too late to join, and since the main adventure hadn't started yet, I figured it wasn't too late for a last minute addition.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:02 pm

Hey, Spider! Welcome aboard! :D

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Welcome Spider. You know the drill with sheet!

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:49 am

Thanks! I'll get my first proper post up soon!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Sorry to hear you're leaving, Quarg. GL with your Rl.

Welcome to the game, Spider. :)

And yeah, I'd like Saca to buy the hatchet, and one sack, too. Sacks are handy. :)
► Show Spoiler