The Lost Mines of Phandelver OOC

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: The Lost Mines of Phandelver OOC

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:49 am

Yup, it's a bit of a departure from past ways, but I think it allows for a more narrative description than there being a whole surprise round. If you have a high initiative, you notice them breaking cover and moving to attack the group, but aren't able to shout a warning to the others, low initiative, you were really unprepared, and can't get things together until the fight is well underway, etc. There are a few mechanical benefits, mostly in relation to being able to take a reaction after your turn and you are no longer surprised. An easy way to think of it is that you are spending your turn shaking off the "surprised condition", and can act normally after it.

I think most of the games I've seen are somewhat of a hybrid, if it is clear what their character would do, people often post in advance, possibly with a conditional, especially if they don't know when they'll be able to post next. If you are thinking of something that is highly dependent on what might be coming next, it's often better to wait and see.

From the GM side of things, sometimes I may be able to update multiple times a day, other days only once, or once every other, so I'll just go through the turn order and post for everyone I have actions for, and let whoever is up know it's their turn. Sometimes that means I'll be able to write an update that includes everything that people have posted about doing, other times I might have three or four actions pending, and can include in the next update once I hear from the person I'm missing.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:55 am

I'm okay with turn by turn, but like you say it will be slower.

Not sure how the mass update would work?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:34 pm

Some battles are more complex than others and need the turn by turn slow approach, others don't so much. Just play it by ear and see what works for each case.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:22 pm

This is what I'm talking about with group updates. Keep in mind, this is a giant boss battle with a large number of fighters, but basically, everybody picks their targets, rolls for their attacks, and then once everybody has posted, the GM does an update for everybody all at once. Conditional actions can be posted, but it also gives the team time to talk about and enact a plan in one turn easier than separate individual turns, in my experience.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:31 pm

Why would M0rt do that to himself? :lol:

I find doing updates as I'm able rather than waiting for a whole mess of them like that works better for me, if the players get ahead of me and there are posts for everyone, I inevitably leave something out. Or the update takes me too long to get it done unless I have extended time to devote to it, which doesn't always work.

I think you might just have to play around with it and see what works for you? If you want us to try an 'everyone post' thing, just let us know!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:00 pm

Holy... :o_O:

I mean... Give it a shot, but good lord that looks like a nightmare! Then again, I can barely keep up with tiny updates right now so ymmv.

You also don't want to jump the gun too much. Like if everyone says they're going to attack during a round, but person 1 gets KO'd immediately, chances are that at least one subsequent player will change their action to help player 1. Which means more waiting for adjustments, or ploughing ahead with what could inadvertently cause a PC death (eg a (critical) death save failure plus taking additional damage from a vindictive monster could kill a PC within a round). Just something to consider maybe?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:10 pm

To be fair, that's the biggest fight we've had, with about 6 players, several npc's, and because it's pokemon that doubles the amount of people to control. Definitely the biggest fight we've had yet.

But yeah. I'll try one-by-one updates for now, unless it gets a little slow going.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 pm

You don't mind us posting in advance though, right? I know Lurks often does, as he spends the majority of the day running between meetings and patients.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:33 pm

Nope! Posting in advance is okay if you're confident about your actions.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Lurks_In_Shadows
Cures Light Wounds
Location: In the Pharoh's mud pits, making bricks without straw.

Post by Lurks_In_Shadows » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 pm

Appreciate that! :) If it looks like my turn's going to come up while I'm busy, I try to leave a post ahead of time. If you had to wait for me to get unbusy before posting, well I figure it'd probably extend the time it would take to play a round by at least by twice.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:36 pm

Wow. Ya it hurt my head even reading that.

I also tend to post ahead if I think I will be asleep when the updates come around, especially since it looks like our schedules are nearly inversed. I don't want to hang the game up a full day if I can help it.

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:19 am

Just a quick note to Gathers, as long as you are using the crossbow your armor class (AC) is reduced by 2 as you cannot use your shield at the same time. It also takes a full combat turn to put on your shield. So right now your AC is effectively 14 rather than 16.

Though...I am not sure how hard Sam is being on this rule since it looks like he allowed Balin to have his shield and crossbow at the same time (no time to switch before the fight began)? The goblin rolled a 14 on its attack and Balin's AC without a shield is 16 so it didn't matter but still...

@Sam, how are you handling two handed weapons and shields along with the 1 turn don and doffing?

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:45 am

Any chance of a bonus-action heal from one of the clerics while Kryz bleeds out on the floor?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:48 am

If the sheets are accurate, neither has healing word prepared.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:49 am

I was just looking for that... This is why we need 3 clerics :lol:

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:49 am

Well, if a certain someone is genius enough to run heads-on into an obvious trap and due to bad luck and lack of sturdiness on their own part are unable to come to the healers, that someone will have to wait until after the battle to get some healing. ;)

Also, what does that mean about the crossbow making 1d8 damage. Should I re-roll the (potential) damage roll, or can we just take the result from this one (there is a 4 on a d8, too, so I'm fine with that)?

And I'm aware of the shield, which is why I had Saca duck behind the cover of the cart, that should help. ^^
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:54 am

Sam's call in the end, but you've a 50% chance of rolling higher on the proper die.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:55 am

Ninja'd

Maybe reroll and then let Sam pick?

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:17 am

Yeah, reroll with the proper die. You're the only one who actually hit anything, so I can't exactly handicap you too much, especially for a simple mistake like that.

Also, is there a reason why Aimee had disadvantage on her attack, Rodgeir?

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:44 am

GathersIngredients wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:49 am Well, if a certain someone is genius enough to run heads-on into an obvious trap and due to bad luck and lack of sturdiness on their own part are unable to come to the healers, that someone will have to wait until after the battle to get some healing. ;)
He's a sailor with 8 INT, what do you want from him?

Ps Sam: Do you want the death saves rolled in the game thread or pm'd privately?

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:03 am

Wow, even the spell didn't connect? I thought the hex would have made it easier for Aimee to hit her target, but then again, what do I know about what that spell is supposed to do? XD
Also posted the re-roll in the game thread. I would have laughed so much if it had gotten less damage than the d6 roll. :D

And Thinks: Saca's Int isn't any higher. ;)
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 am

The goblin moved into melee and she used a ranged spell attack. Most ranged attacks have disadvantage at melee range. Unfortunately Eldritch blast suffers from this and she missed as a result rolling a 2 instead of a 14. :(

Go, go Lewis!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:42 am

thinkslogically wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:44 am Ps Sam: Do you want the death saves rolled in the game thread or pm'd privately?
No need for now. I'm not killing you guys in the first fight. From now on, you're fair game. But right now, you're just knocked out.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:56 am

Rodgeir wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:04 am The goblin moved into melee and she used a ranged spell attack. Most ranged attacks have disadvantage at melee range. Unfortunately Eldritch blast suffers from this and she missed as a result rolling a 2 instead of a 14. :(
It's a bit more punitive than that, as you have disadvantage on all ranged attacks made while there is a non-incapacitated foe within 5 feet of you, whether they are who you are targeting or not. So not only is it tough to get the point blank shot off, but if you're trying to shoot their friend that is standing way over there, they get in your way too.

One of the reasons why it's handy for casters to eventually have a second damaging cantrip that isn't ranged. I'm partial to save based cantrips vs melee (touch) cantrips, as they help with not hitting allies if the GM is using cover rules in that way (eg, ally gives cover to the enemy, if it would hit without the cover, then it hits the ally).
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Rodgeir
Practiced Orator

Post by Rodgeir » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:58 am

Again Spider is more correct!