Pokemon OoC Chatter, Stats, Ect.

Home to all current Forum Games.
SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Re: Pokemon OoC Chatter, Stats, Ect.

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:06 pm

Hey Dusk, I'm thinking of something I wanted to do, but wasn't sure if it would work.

Right now, Shimmy's a fair distance away from the Carbink, too far away to move and attack with just 1 turn. So, I was thinking of delaying Shim's turn and seeing if the Carbink is unable to move due to its Paralysis, moving, and then the next turn move again and attack before the Carbink can respond. The thing is is that I'm not sure if delaying your turn is affected by Paralysis, as in, does a failed Paralysis check stop you from delaying your turn? Or is the decision to delay your turn independent of the Paralysis check?

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:59 pm

I think actions should not rely on paralysis check working or not, because what if Dusk starts doing that to us? :shock:

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:34 pm

You can delay until after the Carbink has acted, yes.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:43 pm

So a failed Paralysis check precludes the ability to delay your turn, then? To stop the Carbink from delaying its turn right back, if it chose to.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Please vader, don't do this. Dusk will can/will do the same in retaliation, making it more unfair for us as a whole.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:49 am

SuperVaderMan wrote:So a failed Paralysis check precludes the ability to delay your turn, then? To stop the Carbink from delaying its turn right back, if it chose to.
Nope. It works like Burns says - you don't have to make the Paralysis check until you have to make an action, so waiting doesn't trigger. It just makes more sense that way, IMO.
► Show Spoiler
However, you don't have to worry about that ruining your plan in this case. Because the Carbink doesn't actually want to delay its action.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:13 am

I think we should homerule it that way anyways, because even with the self heal it is a pretty cheap tactic.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:23 am

Yeah, I am homeruling it that way now. I'm just saying I wish I'd thought of it earlier.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:30 am

:..I think Iknow what thatitem is.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:12 pm

Just to verify- Sending out a single pokeball is a free action, sending out two is a standard action?

Bit dodgy on the ruling and too lazy to look where that was hidden. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:28 pm

Yeah, that's it. Probably :roll:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:41 pm

...okay, I'm calling a time-out for a second here. The raw power this Tirtouga's hitting with isn't adding up. It just landed what I presume is Aqua Jet, a 1d12+6 move for 61 damage; a feat requiring a bare minimum of 35 ATK at +1 CS. The turn before, it landed an Ancientpower against D'Lune, a 2d10+8 move for 54 damage; again, this is quite a feat, requiring a bare minimum of 26 SATK, but with a 2d10, more likely landing somewhere around 35 SATK. I checked Tirtouga's stats; pulling off something like that would normally require 46 to 62 stat points invested in ATK and SATK alone, putting it somewhere around level 50. And that's assuming the only two things it's invested in are ATK and SATK.

I guess what I'm getting at here, is, are you sure you've got your damage calculations correct on your end? And if so, what kind of broken-ass trainer is this guy?

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:04 am

You're forgetting about Power Training. And I tried to make it clear how much this guy invested into his Strength stat....

EDIT: And STAB. You didn't seem to take STAB into account either.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:17 am

So it would put it's attack at 15-20 range and special at 6-11.

Also what moves can be tutored to wyrm? I want to learn all the ice and dragon moves

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:59 am

Arch Lich Burns wrote: Also what moves can be tutored to wyrm? I want to learn all the ice and dragon moves
Dusk9 wrote: No, it's Capabilities and Abilities are all the same as a normal Gyarados. Moves aren't very different either, with the exception of its Natural Water Moves. Aqua Tail becomes Icicle Crash, Rain Dance is now Hail, and Hydro Pump changes to Blizzard. TM Moves and Tutor Moves are unchanged though.
The normal Gyarados Move lists already have a bunch of Ice and Dragon moves on them, so I decided to leave things as they were.

And incidentally, while Aqua Tail is replaced by Icicle Crash in his level-up movelist, it is not replaced on the Tutor list. So you can still Tutor him Aqua Tail, if you want to.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Dusk9 wrote:You're forgetting about Power Training. And I tried to make it clear how much this guy invested into his Strength stat....

EDIT: And STAB. You didn't seem to take STAB into account either.
Fair enough, but still, this is insane. I think I'm pretty good tactically-speaking, I'm blowing dailies like crazy, and using pokemon averaging about L35, but despite all that, it seems to take everything I've got just to barely get this guy to a draw. And while a part of it might be bad luck, I think the more significant factor is that he's not only got a rather powerful terrain advantage, he's also pulling out stops that'd be brutal on a full-fledged Gym Leader. And he's just some no-name challenge you have to pass to get to the Gym Leader. I mean, this guy is either min-maxed to the gills, or he's somewhere in the L20 or higher range.

I mean, I don't have high hopes for this battle, and if it goes the way I suspect it will, odds are I won't be challenging it again until absolute late game (if at all). Because as-is, beating this gym seems impossible on anything short of Novice rank unless you've got 6 maxed-out grass types backing you.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Or water types.

I actually want to try that gym. If only to see how powerful my team is, and to confuse them with Wyrm.

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:47 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Or water types.
Great in theory, till you hit the second guy. Water resists itself, and doesn't resist either Rock or Ground. You'd basically be facing him with a neutral match-up. Also, keep in mind that Water resists Ice, so Wyrm likely wouldn't be too hot either.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:13 pm

But water does not resist dragon. And i know water resist itself.

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Nioca wrote:I mean, I don't have high hopes for this battle, and if it goes the way I suspect it will, odds are I won't be challenging it again until absolute late game (if at all). Because as-is, beating this gym seems impossible on anything short of Novice rank unless you've got 6 maxed-out grass types backing you.
Good luck on the 3rd guy. Solid Rock/Magic Guard Lunatone and Solrock with stupidly high defenses? Both having Sky speeds and Cosmic Power? Just... impossible, at least without Ability nullifiers.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:56 am

Nioca wrote:Fair enough, but still, this is insane. I think I'm pretty good tactically-speaking, I'm blowing dailies like crazy, and using pokemon averaging about L35, but despite all that, it seems to take everything I've got just to barely get this guy to a draw. And while a part of it might be bad luck, I think the more significant factor is that he's not only got a rather powerful terrain advantage, he's also pulling out stops that'd be brutal on a full-fledged Gym Leader. And he's just some no-name challenge you have to pass to get to the Gym Leader. I mean, this guy is either min-maxed to the gills, or he's somewhere in the L20 or higher range.
His 'mons are about equal to yours in level, so neither of you really have an advantage or disadvantage there. And you still have a type advantage in most cases, not to mention some TM/Tutor Moves which he doesn't get. I'll admit that he does have a Trainer level advantage, though considering Zyph is about half his age, that shouldn't really be a surprise.

But yeah, if you haven't already figured it out, I'm trying to make the Gyms all have some conceptual themes to go along with the traditional Type theme. Basically, the idea is that the Gyms are there to teach trainers how to deal with certain situations that might occur out in the real world.
One of the themes for this one is obviously terrain management - minimizing your opponent's advantage, and maximizing your own, as well as adapting to changes between fights. The effects can be significant, but not always - for example, while a melee 'mon without Burrow or Swim speeds is gonna struggle in the first two fights, a flying 'mon is completely unaffected. And you're only really inconvenienced by the third if you have a solely ranged attacker.
The other theme is a little less apparent, but just as central to the design of the Gym - each trainer (with the exception of Sally) has a strong leaning towards a particular stat-based fighting style, and their 'mons are designed to reflect that (you can probably guess what the Gym Leader is gonna focus on, by process of elimination). But they also have some core weaknesses - an obvious example being that the water guy's fast 'mons are all quad weak to Grass. The idea is that the Gym is supposed to "teach" you to not rely on the same brute force tactics over and over again, and to adapt to the weaknesses/strengths of your opponents.

Anyway my main point is that, while changing your team composition to take advantage of their weaknesses and the terrain is certainly helpful, it isn't essential. You can win with brute force - case in point D'Lune's Future Sight, which pretty much one-shot what was arguably the toughest 'mon on his team to take down without Grass moves. It's just going to be quite a bit more difficult and luck-based than the more counter-focused tactics might be.

Also he does have a name. It's Fred. And he's actually less min-maxed than you are, Mr -6 Wis :P
SuperVaderMan wrote: Good luck on the 3rd guy. Solid Rock/Magic Guard Lunatone and Solrock with stupidly high defenses? Both having Sky speeds and Cosmic Power? Just... impossible, at least without Ability nullifiers.
You think I would give the guy before the Gym Leader Lv40 'mons? Come on now, I'm not that evil :roll:

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Ugh, so many things I could do that I don't know which I really want to do... I could go to sleep and start wrecking shit, but then I risk not being able to capture one of them... Decisions, decision...

...For posterity's sake, would mind reader help with a pokeball throw...? :P

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:56 pm

I'd say no because it is not an ac check. :p

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:23 pm

Sorry about the lack of updates and stuff. As some of you probably already know, I've been inundated with work for pretty much the whole of December so far. In fact, I'm working on a report for tomorrow right now. And I have two more things due in Monday/Friday next week :'(

The good news is, of the two things for next week, the Monday one is pretty much completed (I did 95% of the programming for it two weeks ago, and did the last 5% today, so all I need to do is explain how it works) and the other should take me about an hour, tops. Which means chances are pretty good that I'll have time to get an update done sometime this weekend :)

And I've got nothing planned until the 27th either, so updates will likely resume a more stable schedule. Since I'm probably gonna be online 24/7 for the rest of the month :roll:

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Wait, you can explain why your programming will work? I thought there were only two types of coders, "My code doesn't work and I don't know why" and "My code works and I don't know why." :P
I envy you for your ability to program. I've tried quite a few times, always with various guides and software, but nothing ever works, besides the basic "hello world" lesson (And it's been long enough that I don't remember that now).
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)