Civilization V: Real Life in the way, calling it quits.

Home to all current Forum Games.
Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Civilization V: Heart of the Maelstrom: 599.10

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:40 am

Alright, votes locked, post to come within 36 hours. Probably much less than that.

EDITED to add: Looks like the script my friend gave me to keep track of various things only gave bonuses to rolls instead of reduce the difficulty (Dungeoneering 2 would normally be a 48, not a 50+, on a basic roll) --- but as I've already started the processes rolling, we'll leave it as is, it was the same as Civ 4's, anyway. :) Just means you won't see flat numbers for difficulties all the time.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Re: Civilization V: Heart of the Maelstrom: 599.10

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:50 am

Cast of Characters [NPCs]
► Show Spoiler
Cast of Characters [Players]
► Show Spoiler
Special Notes:
► Show Spoiler
People, Places and Things Discovered:
► Show Spoiler
The Aspects and Experience
► Show Spoiler
Actions Done:
► Show Spoiler
Population
► Show Spoiler
The Current Date: 599.11
Things Incoming: "Event 1" (600.02) [Anything marked as "event" is just a note in my notepad file to apply something... this may or may not be preventable, who knows]
Storylines Running: Escape From The Pit

The Drow spread out, looking for resources, in order to build up the Citadel into something to live in rather than just a dirty little shell or igloo of stone. There's no wood to be found down here, and whatever fungi you found were either more useful edible, or their stems were way too thin or brittle to support stone. In the end you just had to stack stone slabs on top of one another and hope a stray hot gust of wind doesn't blow the whole thing down. It's a kludge fix at the very least, but you have such little to work with it is the best thing you can do right now.

Using the Drow's general magic, they harness the gases underneath the floating barren rock and make a "gas bridge" (safe for one person at a time) to the inner wall of the volcano. To your surprise, what appeared as a solid wall of stone fuckin' dice is in fact riddled with caves and caverns that are big enough for a larger than normal party. Not only would it get you out of the great heat of the magma beneath you, but it would serve as a larger defensive "lesser home" to defend from. Now you just have to find a big enough cave close to a source of underground water... which is NOT easy given you're in the side of a volcano where nearly any water evaporates or is tainted with heavier chemicals like sulfur and the like. If anyone can find water though, it's the Centaurs or the Grippli.

Which brings us to the Grippli. The great heat is starting to have an effect on them. They've sped up due to being cold blooded BUT the higher-class (toxic-skinned) Grippli are in serious danger of having their skin dry (which would kill them; you can't just harvest the venom from their skin as they sweat, there's too much). They're not in panic mode yet but they're close. They offered to search out the caverns discovered for a fresh source of non-toxic water, but their efforts haven't come back with anything yet. They've found no signs of sentient life in the caves (too hot, the stale heat lingers), but they DO find signs that there may be precious metals or minerals down here. By the same token, the Lizard Men are skittish and -everywhere- at once (especially the Skinks) but they're built of stronger stuff than the Grippli.

The Drow have used their magic to make a second gas bridge down to large "holes" close to the magma. They can't get too close because of the great heat, but communication has been established between the Fire Giants and the Drow. It seems that the Fire Giants took the floating island to be an abomination and were trying to eventually break it up and knock it down (which would send the gases holding it up explosively to the caldera, wiping the dwarven ruins clean). However, they just had a new chieftess installed the dice have spoken, they were supposed to be severe antagonists and will stop throwing rocks as long as you "live" on it. They seem to be unaware of the caverns above them that you found (the giants are too big for them, anyway), so it looks like the two races can live in peace. They are uninterested in an alliance and wish to be left to their own devices.

The Lizard Men have been keeping the Centaurs (and Wemics) in check through sheer size and displays of brawn. It's an uneasy truce as the two breeds of taur have lived on opposite sides of the island, only coming together to discuss defense and for the wemics to accept food grown by the Centaurs (which is rapidly running out now that you're here). The Kroxigor's intimidating presence has also kept the Ponies and Goblins cowed. You get the feeling that something is eventually going to come to a head if you don't find common ground for the taurs to live with, and the Ponies have been acting skittish, as if they're plotting an escape.

Finally, an attempt to scry the dwarven ruins is made but is unsuccessful. Using Greater Casting, an attempt at a teleport is made, but is nowhere near safe or close enough to put you up at the Caldera, especially without a successful scry, and the attempt is aborted. With the new caverns that were discovered though, you might not need it (especially if you can find a way to the surface).

WILL YOU...

A) Make an example of a Centaur or Wemic (or Pony or Goblin) to keep the rest of the races in check?
B) Try and contact the Drow capital of Zhaltoria through magic? That was the Drow home before they got 'ported...
C) Attempt to form an alliance with the Fire Giants anyway? Not impossible, but not easy either.
D) Send exploratory forces through the caverns discovered along with the Grippli, looking for water/resources?
E) Try again to scry the Dwarven Ruins, in preparation for another attempt to teleport?
F) Focus more on breaking the slaves (the goblins and ponies) to do your bidding?
G) Focus on trying to find a way to keep the "upper class" Grippli from drying out?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Re: Civilization V: Heart of the Maelstrom: 599.11

Post by nikohl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:56 am

DEG.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:03 am

a, f, g

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:04 am

A) 1 (Burns, )
B)
C)
D) 2 (Badge, Nikohl, )
E) 2 (Badge, Nikohl, )
F) 1 (Burns, )
G) 3 (Badge, Nikohl, Burns, )

Borys
Voices Opinions

Post by Borys » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:06 am

A) 1 (Burns, )
B)
C)
D) 3 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys )
E) 3 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys )
F) 1 (Burns, )
G) 4 (Badge, Nikohl, Burns, Borys )
Complains of Everything in Minelings.
Boro in Call of Ctulhu - Filipstad
Boro in Unhallowed Isle
Boro in Civilization V
Boro in Cavemen

Proud comic(al) player.

In God School as Dies in Battle

My own game! Castle Story Open for everyone!

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:10 am

DFG

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:18 am

Update for dave

A) 1 (Burns, )
B)
C)
D) 3 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, davecom )
F) 2 (Burns, davecom)
G) 5 (Badge, Nikohl, Burns, Borys, davecom )

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:19 am

A) 2 (Burns, LAYF)
B)
C)
D) 5 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, Dave, LAYF )
F) 2 (Burns, Dave)
G) 6 (Badge, Nikohl, Burns, Borys, Dave, LAYF )
-Best regards LAYF

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:31 am

A) 2 (Burns, LAYF)
B)
C)
D) 6 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, Dave, LAYF, TTW )
E) 4 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, TTW )
F) 2 (Burns, Dave)
G) 7 (Badge, Nikohl, Burns, Borys, Dave, LAYF, TTW )

How about getting the flying ponies to scout up to the upper floating island? Can they carry a drow?
► Show Spoiler
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

kida
Gives Speeches

Post by kida » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:17 am

A) 2 (Burns, LAYF)
B)
C)
D) 7 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, Dave, LAYF, TTW,kida)
E) 4 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, TTW )
F) 3 (Burns, Dave, kida)
G) 8 (Badge, Nikohl, Burns, Borys, Dave, LAYF, TTW,kida )

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:Also, what kind of 'choice' is A and F, which are both 'beat up' part of the tribe, when you say parts of the tribe are tense and plotting escape? What about talking to the various races and cooperating for the common good?

At most we can vote on not beating them up, which you are hinting will be a bad option. We can't aparently get any credit for not killing anyone. And the other choice is worse, fully embrace the dark side and become slavers. I want a 3rd way![/spoil]

Well, technically (in every source I've ever found (and drizzit doesn't count)) Drow are evil assholes. Take the snooty Elves who think they are superior to everyone else and add an alignment of "selfish-evil" and make them darker complected = Drow. They kill every race and each other for the fun of it, or for sport, or for power. (this is my unbiased answer by the way)

I was actually wondering if we couldn't ask the Grippli to use their Divine powers and whatever god they serve (given that Lolth hates these drow) and see if they can find a way up to the mountain.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:28 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:38 am

And they might be able to break them without hurting them particularly severely. They just need to put a fright into them so they realize cooperating is in their best interest. Maybe a "Are you going to cooperate for the good of all, or are we going to have to return to the old ways of torturing uncooperative slaves?"
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Davecom3 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:43 am

► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:46 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:
► Show Spoiler
The problem is that no one has starting characters or Standard Actions yet. 5 votes in and you will, which will make for those other options much much easier.

(the Ponies -might- be able to carry a Drow, due to a Drow's skinny build. Maaaaaaaaybe. Not yet but I won't rule it out.)
Davecom3 wrote:And they might be able to break them without hurting them particularly severely. They just need to put a fright into them so they realize cooperating is in their best interest. Maybe a "Are you going to cooperate for the good of all, or are we going to have to return to the old ways of torturing uncooperative slaves?"
► Show Spoiler
I expected at least the Ponies to be dead by now, if not the Wemics and Centaurs. The fact they aren't suggests an unusual alliance is possible, which would make for a very interesting story once people start getting characters and SAs/FHs in. Drow ARE selfish/evil, which is how I'm playing the chieftess and her advisors. A coup certainly is possible if you don't like her, but not yet...

As for Darthestha, she's evil/selfish, but nowhere near as nasty as a -true- Matron Mother would be, which is why I term her a Chieftess.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator

Post by LAYF » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:54 am

► Show Spoiler
-Best regards LAYF

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:00 am

ThroughTheWell wrote:
► Show Spoiler

Perhaps I'm just a really evil person, but sure, if you were on the deserted island with me, I would work together with you to build a raft....then, on day 5, when i got really hungry, i would kill you and eat you....

Humanity on a whole is not so much concerned about working together as they are about surviving. So take that, and apply it times 10 to Drow, and then some...

ThroughTheWell

Post by ThroughTheWell » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:19 am

LooksAtYouFunny wrote:
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:35 am

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:37 am

► Show Spoiler

madmartin26
Indulges in Conversation

Post by madmartin26 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:51 am

A) 2 (Burns, LAYF)
B)
C)
D) 8 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, Dave, LAYF, TTW,kida, Madmartin26)
E) 5 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, TTW, Madmartin26 )
F) 3 (Burns, Dave, kida)
G) 9 (Badge, Nikohl, Burns, Borys, Dave, LAYF, TTW,kida, Madmartin26 )

Personally, I see the Drow individuals as no more inherently evil than the individuals of any other race. I agree that drow society is evil(Especially in D&D), due to their culture supporting violence, extreme competitiveness, and a feeling of superiority (not to mention Lolths influence), which causes most of the Drow to become evil do to societal pressures. That said, they're still people(Well, fictional people) and who knows, maybe the reason Lolth banished this clan was because an unusual number of the members resisted the cultural brainwashing and are neutral, if not good. I think it could make things interesting if that was the case(And based on the voting that could be it), and later the nice/not evil majority overthrew the remaining evil Drow now that they're separated form main Drow society and started their own society.

My position is colored by the comics and stories i've read(And no, i don't really mean Drizzt. The main one i'm thinking of is Drowtales, if you're genuinely interested), but i know a lot of people who agree with me that they aren't inherently evil, so i'm not completely crazy, and honestly we as a group get to decide if they are evil or not, because we're in full control of their civilization. >:D I will be trying to make the society more neutral, if not necessarily good, but the rest of you should do what you want to.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by madmartin26 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nolandking
Converses Frequently

Post by Nolandking » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 am

A) 2 (Burns, LAYF)
B)
C)
D) 9 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, Dave, LAYF, TTW,kida, Madmartin26, Nolandking)
E) 6 (Badge, Nikohl, Borys, TTW, Madmartin26, Nolandking)
F) 3 (Burns, Dave, kida)
G) 10 (Badge, Nikohl, Burns, Borys, Dave, LAYF, TTW,kida, Madmartin26, Nolandking )
Haven't played this signature game in a long while but I'll try it out again.

Help these poor little guys hatch.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:44 am

Looks like DEG is running away with the vote so I'll lock 'em here and do the post later.

Drizzt's a fucktard. Haven't read Drow Tales though.

Lloth simply threw a fit and cast multiple groups related to or connected to one elf in particular to the far corners of the planet as punishment. That's the backstory. If there's going to be a lot of backandforth this time in spoilertext, might as well make a Civ 5 OOC thread? I dunno. Anyhoo, story-style #2 late tonight or tomorrow.

Davecom3
Chronically Blathering

Post by Davecom3 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:51 am

Might wait until there's a populace of known individuals before that's needed.