Nerre
Game Master

Re: Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest

Post by Nerre » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:39 am

Current points: 31
+- 0 talking and not yet managing to split the sinew ends
+1 length of post
New Total: 32

Hitto looked attentively as she explained and demonstrated how to do it. "It is strange it ties together by shrinking, I would have expected the gaps between the parts to get larger. Maybe it also is also glued together while it dried. It is kind of wet now, but I am sure it is not only water. You know, like the white of an egg maybe." he says with a smile, glad she talks to him, and lets the sinew swing in his fingers like a cooked spagetthi.
"This technique would not work for ropes, or at least I would not trust them. Well, let's give it a try." he says and gets two stones, a large flat one to work on, and a little rounder one to squish the sinew. He is afraid of damaging it, so he does not bash it like Yala, but rather pressed on it with care. After a few attempts, he raises the stone a bit to get more momentum to squish the sinew into several fibers. From time to time he looks over to her to see how she is doing it. It still looks like he does not really dare to really bash it. "Can I split it in two if I hit too hard?" he asks.
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:42 am

"I think with rope you have to braid it, or at least combine the fibres more. But for sewing thread, this way is pretty good. I wouldn't want to risk to hang from it though!" Yala looked over at his sinew piece when he asked about it, then nodded. "You could break it, yes. It would come apart and be useless. But it would take much force to break it like that. The cord you have there held the bear's hand onto it's arm, sort of, so it's pretty tough. You need to hit it hard to open the surface up a bit, to make it rougher so that the other one grabs it when you twist them together, but not so hard that you break all the way through. Try a bit harder. If it breaks, it doesn't matter. We have several more. There is a type of plant you can hit the stalks of like this, and all the middle is soft strings. But that is not sticky like a sinew. It's like hairs." Yala seems happy to just babble on about things she's heard or knows, while she works.

Yala points: +1, 21.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:50 am

As Muck started to clean the stone Gereths weathered hand gripped his wrist. Gereth steel glare fall upon him and a quiet hush was lent to his speech.
" Listen to me boy, I can already see thoughts of glorified victorys and hard won battles with that stone in your eyes. I have seen many wars in my time and few bloodstones adorned like trophies on foolish warriors. Many say they lend strength to the wielder but I've never seen it be enough to stop enemies greed from overwhelming those fools. Everytime I ever want to battle it was always the blood stone wielders who fall first, Killed by the enemies lust to possess the stone. Take my advice, if you must take into battle keep it in your pocket and not where people can see it. You'll live longer,."
Gereth released muck from his iron grip and turn to the villager.
" Lets look for Elto, and see what he has found."

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:07 pm

--GM Post--

(I'm hurrying this along a bit as I know what is to be found and I also want to get the Main Update done tomorrow - sorry guys, normally I'd let you poke around a bit longer but you can always come back in daylight.)

As the three men make their way back towards Elto, with Muck and Gereth talking quietly and the villager holding his torch and looking around, they all see that he has crouched down beside the stream and is inspecting the soft mud there. He looks up as they approach.

"I see a footprint here, but only a single one - it's not mine, it's too small - but it looks like she did the same as I did, and jumped across the stream to this side. She definitely made it here, but where she has gone I do not know. She is not drowned in the pool, it doesn't look like she has travelled down by the big river as we can see all the way to it from here, and I found no trace of any nooks or caves she could have gone into. We must assume that she continued further away from our new home in this direction" - he gestures away from the tunnel leading back home, and towards the unexplored plains and cliff-wall there - "but at least there are no signs that she was attacked by an animal like our cave-bear. She may have wandered too far and decided to take shelter for the night. Regardless, we must return now, our torch will not last much longer and without it we are near useless at searching, and we would be putting our own selves in danger. A proper search party will have to wait until we have proper light."

Elto hops back across the stream and moves towards the tunnel, seeming disappointed in the results of the search. He has not noticed Muck's new acquisition. Unless he is stopped, the villager will follow Elto.

(OOC: Jacon and Mereneth - please feel free to make one or two more posts, eg if your characters do something before they follow Elto, but when I do the main update tomorrow I will be assuming everyone is back at the cave for the night so if you could head back it would save me having to teleport you there.)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:47 pm

--GM Update--

With the small exploration party's return, Elto decreed that it was high time for everyone to get some rest. Muck, Gereth, Elto and the villager who accompanied them huddled round the fire to dry off and ate some of the remaining chunks of meat. After they'd eaten and the other villagers had cleared away the large leaves and sticks that had been used in preparation for the meal, the children and elder villagers started to disperse into side-caves or curl up along the edge of the main cave, on the variety of raggedy pelts and skins that were all they could bring with them. After half an hour or so, everyone has turned in for the night. The fire at the cavemouth kept the inner areas warmer than outdoors, but nights would still be chilly and quite uncomfortable until the tribe were better settled in.

Thanks to Min's suggestion of a watch, two villagers stay awake longer than the rest of the tribe, and partway through the night awaken a second pair to take over from them. At first they keep the fire going as long as possible and turn the coals over to keep it burning with a dull glow, although the fire is not as high as they would like due to them not having many branches or logs available. After half the night, they let the fire die to save their last wood stocks, in case there is no opportunity to collect dry wood for the next night after the rains.

--

After an uneventful night, dawn slowly broke across the valley and the cliffs on the west side of the valley began to gleam as the sun beat down upon them. As the first amount of sun began to glint in the sky, some of the villager men and women had awoken in order to remove the bear that had been carefully cooked beneath the fire. As the meat was pulled out, carefully so as not to get ash on it, they found that the meat was still somewhat warm. They awoke the rest of the tribe with breakfast ready, eager to start their second day in their new home. What remained of the bear carcass in the centre of the main cave was beginning to smell.

Current Group Quests: Name the Tribe, Make the Caves Habitable

It is now Dawn, Second Day. Updates henceforth can move time along at a quicker rate (eg: A week passes, during which time X/Y/Z) but this depends on what the tribe do and also on what players want - if everyone is happy progressing "daily" for a while longer, we can do that - let us know in OOC.

Points Awards:
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:41 pm

Gereth made a small fire and warmed some water and made a quick tea and watched the villagers bustle about. Ajax lay next to him and whined gently and prodded Gereths fingers with his nose. With a sigh he reached over and scratched the wolf behind his ears. He's old bones still felt the chill from the water but he knew he had to go after the girl again. Soon he'd gather himself and head to the tunnels but for now he sat and enjoyed the tea he had made.
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:59 am

Current points: 32
+- 0 talking and waking up
+1 length of post
+4 GM points awared
New Total: 37
nikohl wrote:...Yala seems happy to just babble on about things she's heard or knows, while she works.
After they talked and worked some more, which he really enjoyed, Hitto wished her a good night and went to the little pile of his belongings. He placed his fur next to the ropes in a dry and wind protected part of the large cave and then lied down. Walking until they got here, skinning the bear, then freeing its skull for Fengo , preparing the cave bottom, and finally helping Yala a little; so much work on a single day. He felt very tired and exhausted and fell asleep quickly. Not even the strong snoring of some of the group members had a chance to wake him up this night.

He awoke when the morning sun found a way into the cave. It was warm, warmer than the cold of the night, but his fur had kept him warm. But it was a bit short, so his feet did feel cold. He rubbed them and jumped around in the cave to get warm, then he walked to the center where some already dug out the rest of the bear meat. It smelled fine and he started to feel the hunger, although it was no strong hunger after they ate so well the day before. Then he smelled something else. "Ew, what is-oh." he noticed the remains of the bear. Maybe the heat of the fire, combined with the wetness during the rain made it rot very quick. He walked up to chief Etto and asked. "Chief, the remains of the bear started to stink. I know I suggested naming us bearing wanderers, but I cannot bear this smell for long" Hitto jokes. "Should we bury them or take them further away and just dump them somewhere? We for sure cannot let the sun dry it out after the heavy rain the day before today. I fear it might attract predators or scavangers. Doesn't look like there are many useful parts left in that mess anyway. We should not throw it into the river or bury it close by, might poison the water."

If the chief agrees to his suggestion (OOC: GM decision please), he will ask around for others to help him (both, players and NPCs).
Last edited by Nerre on Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest (Starting Post Up!)

Post by GathersIngredients » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:34 am

Starting points: 35
Spending: 2 (rock heating in bed, continuously keeping the bunny from escaping)
Earning: 1 (full paragraph) + 4 (GM Update)
Final points: 38

Min subconsciously nodded approvingly when the little scouting party returned safely from wherever they had been. She still was listening attentively to Boe's narration of what he had experienced, but her ever watchful eyes took notice of the happenings around her, storing that information in the back of her mind for later investigation.

When it was time to go to bed she moved all the sticks Boe brought her into 'her' cave, and - lacking any furs - used two branches to roll one of the stones, hot from being in the fire pit all night long, into her little cave and onto her 'bed' made from earthen clumps and grass, in order to keep her warm. After offering Yala to join her, if the tall girl wanted to, Min went back to her sleeping place with the rock, still emanating heat, and curled up around it. Altogether, it wasn't very soft, warm, or comfortable, but it still beat lying on the bare cave floor. She kept her backpack close, her hand resting on top of it, to make sure the bunny, still tied up inside of it, wouldn't escape.

In the morning, Min yawns and stretches effusively, though rather quiet, as she doesn't want to disturb the bunny - nor Yala, if she's there. Seeing how she has a lot she wants to get done today, she dusts herself off, grabs the stick Boe had fetched for her, suitable to be made into a spear, and leaves her little cave.
First she seeks out Elto, hoping to submit more suggestions for the tribe's new name, trusting that he is awake already.
(Waiting for GM response here, Min wouldn't dare to wake the chief for this. Also, it would be nice to know if Yala wanted to sleep over or not. ^^)

reposting point system for own convenience
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:06 am

Yala had accepted Min's offer to share a cave, and was about to huddle down in a corner with her limbs tucked inside her fur and hide clothing for the night when she saw Min roll in a hot stone from the fire to warm her bed area. She marvelled at the idea, having not thought of anything like it herself, and scuttled off to get one of her own. She had slept quite well despite the chilly night air, thanks in part to the warmth from the rock and equally from the day's hard work.

--

When she awoke, the stone was cold and so was she. Her legs and arms had seized up from being curled up tight on a hard floor, and she ached. She would have to find herself something better to sleep on, and fast. Min had already left their little room and people were passing out a breakfast of leftover meat, so she stretched herself out, accepted the leaf-full of chunks of tender, slow-cooked bear meat and ate it as she ventured out to the front of the cave to look off into the distance of the valley.

"We need more furs, more wood and more food. I think I'll go to the forest - does anyone want to come with me? Most of the fallen wood will be wet, but we can bring it back and stack it in one of the dark caves til it dries... We need lots."

Yala will wait around a little while to see if anyone wants to accompany her to the forest, and if no (PC) volunteers, she will enlist the help of another villager to go with her. She asks some of the people working in the cave whether she can borrow their sling-bags, so as to be able to carry more things back from the forest if she finds them. She also asks Durang to describe the area in which he found the nutritious fruits that he brought back previously.

(Yala points: 21, +2 Update Award, -0 No Action, +1 Over a Paragraph, new total 24.)
Last edited by nikohl on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:48 am

21 (base) + 1 (length) = 22

Yarl awoke to find himself tucked away into one of the dimly lit caves. He steadily stood up, careful so as not to bump his head on any protruding rocks. More would need to be done to provide light to the network of caves and tunnels he thought to himself. Yarl walked toward the main cave and squinted at the harsh glare of the sunlight that shone off of the grass which was still wet from last eveningÔÇÖs rain. Yarl stretched his arms and twisted his back this way and that in an attempt to get the kinks out from falling asleep on the cold stone floor.

As he moved into the large cavernous front room of the caves, protected by a large overhang of rock, Yarl moved forward to the women who were passing out bear meat that had been cooking under the fire and accepted a small piece. The woman patted him on the head and smiled a toothy grin as she mumbled something about him being a sweet boy. Yarl rolled his eyes as he walked out of the cave and bit into the small piece of meat that he had been given.

His feet quickly became wet and cold as he waded through the long grasses that hugged the cliff and swept out into the plains of the valley. He knew though, based on the heat of the sun, that both he and the field of grass would soon be dry. Yarl allowed his eyes to slowly wander around the expanse of the valley. In the distance forest that he had been in yesterday, a shiver ran down his spine as he remembered not-to-fondly what had happened there. Further past the forest he saw the river which made him remember the wide lazy river that had flowed near their old home. Yarl remembered the delicious fish that the menfolk would bring home after a long day spent fishing. This thought spawned a new thought and he decided that today he would explore the river. Yarl mentioned to Yala where he was going in case anyone asked and set off for the river at a steady jog. As he jogged toward the river he heard Elto yell after him about taking someone with him, but Yarl simply ignored him and kept running.

--GMÔÇö

Elto watched as the tribesmen and women awoke and began to move about the caves with a purpose. Some of the women had moved to the fire and had started to unbury the meat which had been slowly cooking through the night. After carefully removing it they had started to hand it out to the people as they awoke. Seeing that he was awake himself, a piece was offered to him and Elto politely accepted the proffered piece of meat which he sank his teeth into.

As he slowly ate, Hitto approached him about the smell of the dead bear. Elto nodded slowly as Hitto complained about the smell and offered to bury it somewhere. After hearing the young man out, Elto offered a better solution than that of simply burying the corpse. ÔÇ£If we could find a place to dump the bones and leftovers of any animals we kill then we will be able to collect the bones again once they have been picked clean by the birds or other scavengers.ÔÇØ Elto said as he looked out over the valley. ÔÇ£Perhaps there are more caves along these cliffs, or maybe a rocky outcropping far enough away that we wonÔÇÖt smell it.ÔÇØ Elto smiled at Hitto with a flash of teeth and then turned and exited the cave to satisfy his swellign bladder. As he walked out of the cave he noticed that Yarl was jogging off toward the river and yelled after him "Take someone with you dammit", but the boy just ignored him and ran faster. Elto let out a long sigh and then let out a huff and walked over to a nearby tree to piss.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:55 pm

S: 32 E: 1 Sp: 0 T: 33

Muck had spent some time that night thinking on Gereth's words after they returned from their search. They were the first things the old man had said that actually seemed to show his years of experience to be worth offering any amount of attention. Though, as the cave quieted and night took hold, Muck had tucked the stone into his things and laid down, figuring on pursuing the matter further when time allowed.

Dawn pulled him from sleep, though he had to admit he was a little unwillingly to actually get up. To actually sleep for more than an hour or two at a time was a blessing and a curse. Like spoiling a child with fresh liver, the relative comfort of where he lay curled up beneath his sabre pelt was not something he wished to relinquish.

With a grunt he pulled himself upright, securing the pelt again to his back as he watched things in the cave spring-to with a vigor. He wouldn't have time to contemplate the stone until evening; everyone needed help with some task or another.

A female voice seemed to rise out of the rumbling conversation, seeking assistance with something outside the caves. Without another thought, he began to weave his way to the girl, eager to be back outside now that sleep had begun its flight from his eyes.

"You needed another to help you... Yala, was it? I am still becoming familiar with the names of those in the tribe. If I am wrong, please, tell me right."

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:20 am

"Yes, it's Yala. I want to go to the forest and gather supplies. Last night made it clear how many things we used to have that we took for granted. We haven't even got enough wood to keep a fire burning, let alone mats or hides for everyone, or spare food, or...well, anything at all. We might not be able to bring much back in one trip, but we can at least explore and take stock... I want to find out what there is out there. Maybe other people want to come too. The more hands the better for carrying many things."

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:45 am

Current points: 37
+- 0 talking
+1 length of post
New Total: 38

"I really would like to come with you Yala, I could help drag or carry more wood here and wanted to take a look at the forest anyway, but I first have to remove the rest of the bear. It started smelling and we should move it so we don't get sick and it doesn't attract other animals." He thinks for a moment, then says "Do you maybe want to help me with my task, then I would help you with yours after we are done. I just talked with the chief about it, suggesting to do it, so I cannot postpone it, else he will think bad of me. Also it is really urgent, if you think otherwise just take a deep breath."
To demonstrate this Hitto really does and has to cough from the stench, which makes him laugh about himself. Hitto really hopes she will join him, but he also asks around loudly to get more help "Would anybody else help me with the interesting task of moving those stinking remains out of here so we can breath again?"

Hitto takes a closer look at the bear cadaver to see how much it is and how often somebody would have to walk to get all of it out of here, so he can estimate how long the job will take and how many helpers he will need (GM decision here please). He also climbs on the highest boulder around and looks along the edge of the cliff to see if there is any stone covered ground or another cave to place the bear remains, just like the chief suggested.
OOC:
► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:17 am

Starting points: 38
Spending: 0/5 (have Durang/a villager make the stick Boe brought Min into a spear)
Earning: 1 (full paragraph)
Final points: 39/34

Min had been very pleased that Yala agreed to share her cave, and welcomed her with open arms. "You can be the bigger sister I never had!" Min exclaimed with a very wide, very bright smile.
When she saw that Yala was about to lay down on the bare cave floor, Min wouldn't have any of that. "Come, lay with me. We can huddle together for warmth, and the makeshift bed here is just barely broad enough for the two of us. It's not very soft or warm, but it sure beats the cave floor." Min insisted on letting Yala have the place between the hot rock and herself, where she would be warmed both from the rock and Min, wanting to make sure that Yala felt welcome and comfortable with her, Min.

Min, who had planned to keep a tactful distance from Elto while he was watering the trees, just looks at him and Hitto, dumbfounded, as she hears the Chief's words, and deems it necessary to interject right away. "Oh? Do you already know where this tribe's next meal will come from? No? Why would you throw out the the carcass of the bear, then? There's still some meat on those bones, and even if there weren't any left, there's good eating on the bone marrow, it's full of fat and very nutritious. And even bare from the marrow, the bones can be put to good use, we can make weapons and tools from them. If you're concerned by the smell, just get some young, sappy branches or grass and make a fire that produces lots of smoke. The smell of smoke will both mask the corpse's smell as well as keep predators away."

Shaking her head a little at the wastefulness that almost would have happened, Min tries to remember what else she had wanted. Ah, yes. The naming of the tribe.
"Chief, I have been thinking," Min continues, now a lot calmer and addresses Elto in a respectful way, like she should have done in the first place, "About a good name for our tribe. Yesterday you said that the bear was 'surely a gift from the stars'. That really stuck with me the whole night, and I think that maybe the stars should be part of our name. Like 'children of the stars', 'star favored' or 'star guided' to let others know we're in the favor of the stars themselves, under their protection and guidance. 'Star crossed', if you want to reflect upon our long journey, because what little I have seen from the night sky last night, not obstructed from view by storm clouds, the stars even look a little different here, than at home. 'Star warriors', 'star claws' or 'star fire' if you want to put more emphasis on our own strength and fierceness." Min finishes her suggestions for now, nods and backs away respectfully from the Chief, after giving him a chance to reply, should he wish to do so.

After that, Min seeks out Durang, to ask him if he would be so kind and make her a spear out of that stick she is carrying. If he doesn't want to or doesn't have time, Min will ask a villager, instead.

She overhears what Yala is saying, and, after she arranges to have a weapon of her own as soon as possible, Min runs over to her, waving. "Wait for me, I want to come with you! Let me just fetch my backpack."

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:07 am

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:20 am

Nerre wrote:
► Show Spoiler
:shock: :lol:

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:44 am

-GM Update-

Just as Elto was shaking and tucking away his manhood, Min walked up and begin to speak to him. Feeling his face heat up, he quickly finished what he was doing, attempted to find his composure and turned to face Min. He listened intently to her words and as she finished he thought for a moment before speaking. ÔÇ£You are right of course Min; we must keep everything that we can. It is difficult to live up to the wisdom of my father. Every part of the bear can and will be used as you have suggested. If you would be willing I would like you to be in charge of the larger animals that we bring in so that no part is wasted.ÔÇØ Elto paused for a moment as Min spoke of the stars. Tears welled up in his eyes causing him to cover his face and cough in an attempt to look chiefly. ÔÇ£Children of the stars...this is a good name for us who have been blessed by their light, I will speak with Fengo beside the fire tonight about this.ÔÇØ Elto smiled warmly at Min as she turned to leave and headed back into the cave to speak with some villagers about forming a hunting party.

When Vera awoke from her sleep she quickly noticed that Elto no longer lay beside her. As she squinted open her eyes she saw that he was walking within and without the cave speaking to people and answering questions. A deep sense of pride welled up within her as she raised herself up into a sitting position. One of the older women noticed her sitting up and quickly offered her a piece of meat which had been cooking beneath the fire and Vera accepted and thanked the woman. As she ate, she heard young Yala asking if there was any interest in anyone going to the forest with her. Vera slowly stood up and after finishing her food approached Yala. ÔÇ£I would like to go with you to the forest, I can help carry any food we find.ÔÇØ Vera said as she adjusted a carry bag around her shoulders.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:33 am

Current points: 38
-3 moving bear remains
+1 length of post
New Total: 36

"I understand..."
Hitto, seeing nobody is eager to help him carry the stinking remains of the bear away, sighs and gets one of his shorter ropes out of the cave. Now that the most body fluids ran out of the bear when it was dissected and sunk into the ground, there is not much more left than bones with some flesh left on them, and a pile of those organs and parts not good for eating. He tried to only breath through his mouth, but still some of the stench got through somehow. He tied the bones to one big pile and then put the organs into his leather bucket. He would have to clean it properly before he would collect honey the next time, but with the forest still wet, he wouldn't climb today or tomorrow anyway.
He shouldered the heavy burden, whose weight was at least half of his own, and slowly walked along the cliff. He did take a break from time to time, resting before he continued. He was looking for another half open cave, or maybe solid stone ground, something he could place the bear remains, on so the birds could pick it clean. He also kept his eyes open for traces of bird droppings, which often paint the walls white. But the heavy rain might have washed most of it away, if it came from the right direction. (GM decision required, how far does he have to walk?)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:58 am

-GM-

Hitto walked out of the cave and started in the direction of the cliffs. As he walked he spotted a large pile of stones a short distance from the home cave. Dropping his load in order to look closer he saw several rocks jutting up from the ground. Some of the rocks created a small plateau that he could use to stack the bones on. He also notices that some of the rocks form a natural cave, though it is difficult to see inside because of the weak morning light.

(Please enjoy this simple picture of what you found.)
► Show Spoiler
edit: -GM update-

Elto watches as Hitto walks away from the caves carrying the remains of the bear. He stifles a laugh as he watches the boy attempt to carry all of the bones only to have them fall away from each other as they are no longer attached to each other by muscles and sinews. As Hitto drops the bear carcass to investigate the rocks, Elto picks up the fallen bones and begins carrying them back to the cave. When asked about what he is doing he explains to Hitto that Min would like to keep the bones for various reasons.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:46 am

"Alright Vera, thank you - you're very welcome to join us. We five should be able to carry plenty of gathered food back, even if we find nothing else we know there are fruit trees there thanks to Durang's exploration yesterday." Yala had managed to borrow several sling bags from the villagers who were doing work in the cave and had gladly emptied out their meagre possessions at the promise of a fair share of the forest's goodies. She looked rather silly draped in empty hide bags, but she would be glad of the carrying capacity, she was sure.

"I'm going to have a look around out here while we wait for Hitto to get back. I haven't had a chance to look out here yet."

With that, Yala stepped out of the cave and began to pace a short distance to the right of the cave, noting the tunnel mouth, then looking beyond it, holding her hands up to the sun and looking at the shadow that she created on the cliff wall, brain ticking over no doubt with some unknown calculation, probably to do with hidework. No matter how much she feigned dislike of the job she was "stuck with" and claimed she would rather hunt with the men, there was no denying the young girl had a talent for handling skins.

(Yala points: 24, -0 fluff text/talking, +1 paragraph, total 25.)

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:47 am

Starting points: 39
Spending: 5 (construct the smoking contraption, have a tribe member deal with the bear carcass - scrape the meat off the bones, put it onto the smoking-contraption, keep an eye on the meat & the fire, keep the fire going, get the meat off the contraption again, when ready, slaughter, skin and smoke the bunny ...)
Earning: 1 (full paragraph)
Final points: 35

Blushing a bit at the Chief's praising words both about her suggestions for the tribe name as well as her ideas to use every last part of the bear rather than discard them and him offering her to be in charge of anything at her relative young age, just about to say thanks to him, Min halts in mid motion to incredulously look at Hitto, who is starting to carry off the bears remains, after what has been said by both her and Elto, clearly in earshot of Hitto, too, which makes Min wonder for a moment, if that boy was not very bright, or just bad of hearing...

She quickly pushes the thought away, though, as she has other things to worry about: There was work to be done, now that the Chief has bestowed the job to her to handle any large animals the tribe managed to kill and bring home, and that included the bear, or what ever was left of it.
Since Yala wanted to check out the immediate surroundings a bit more, before leaving, that gave Min the chance to get things started, at least. She quickly gets the other sticks from out of her cave - along with the backpack and, ramming them into the soft ground, meeting at the top and leaning against each other, securing them with some braided grass, gets them arranged into a construct for smoking meat. (like this)
In a hurry, she gathers up a small amount of firewood (and some branches to lay down horizontally with her contraption and hang meat over them), making a point of getting some nice, sappy twigs, too, and finds a tribe member that is planning to stay at the caves today, anyways, to keep an eye one the smoking. She instructs them to make the fire below the tripod, and how to hang scraps of meat, which they would have to scrape off the bones, onto the horizontal branches, and to keep the fire burning until the meat was ready.
Min guides Elto to put the bones downwind of her smoky, smelly fire, in order to keep predators away and stop the stench from disturbing anyone, yet nice and easily in reach for the tribe member that has to get the meat off them, first. She also leaves the bunny with the tribe member - as the animal would only take away precious space when they would be carrying food back home - and asks them to slaughter it, skin it and smoke its meat, too. Min would be back for the skin later, maybe she could ask Yala to make some clothing article out of it. Or, perhaps a pillow?

After making sure that everything is taken care of and that the tribe member knows and understands what he is supposed to do, Min hurries over to the group that wanted to go with Yala. Spotting Muck, Min smiled and approached the young warrior. "Hey there, Muck." Min waves casually at the one that came from another tribe to protect hers for the stars know what reason, and held her last stick - the one suitable to become a spear someday - aloft. "I think you were the one who is skilled to make weapons, right? Do you think you could fashion this into a spear for me? I don't have a weapon as of right now, and I feel rather vulnerable and exposed."

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:49 am

Current points: 36
0 still moving bear remains (paid last turn)
+1 length of post
New Total: 37

"She what?" Hitto says with disbelieve and a blank face, when Etto tells him that Min wants the bones for something. He stares at the chief for some seconds, then he shakes his head. A trace of anger shows in his face, when he pulls the rope holding the bones together tight and picks them up again. He complains "Could she not have said that earlier? I walked them all this way like for nothing, to deal with the bones like you suggested. Well, at least I found this little cave, which might be useful some day. But I did not check it yet, I hope there is not another bear in there. We might have to investigate it later, but with a well armed group."
After that Hitto walks behind the chief, still a bit upset. He wanted to go with Yala, and only did not cause he promised to do this job to the chief. Who now laughed about him losing a few bones of the heavy package. Well, maybe it was funny from the outside to do so much work in vain, but not if you are the one who did it. On top of it, now Yala for sure was already gone into the forest. He would have to wait all day to see her again, cause after what happened to Yarl yesterday, he knew he should not go in there on his own. He only got a little knife. Suddenly, all the dark thoughts were washed away when Yala suddenly appeared in the direction of Etto and Hitto. Hittos mood instantly got much better, and he greeted her with a smile. "Hey, what are you doing here? I thought you were already on your way to the forest!"
When she explained she was waiting for him to get back, his smile threatened to swallow his ears. Again, he was kind of glad to be dirty enough in his face because of his work, so she would not see him blush. But maybe other reactions would give away how he felt, for example that he lost his balance and let the heavy burden pull him back. He ended up sitting in the grass, leaning against the bone package like against a little rock. "I am glad you waited."
He shouldered it again and kept walking with her and Etto until they reached the cave. "Min, here is your bones. Next time please tell me you need something before I take it for a walk." He was so glad about Yala's presence, he could not be angry about Min anymore. But he took some time to remove the rope he used to bind the bones to one package, and he also grabbed one of the larger upper leg bones of the bear, explaining "I want to be prepared, just in case we meet whatever shooed Yarl out of the forest yesterday. I don't think a little animal did scare him that much. My knife is sharp, but it is little. Might not help against something large." They might need the rope to bind the wood, so they could carry it easier and would not loose it on the way. He rolled up his rope and shouldered it, then he grabbed one end and cut loose about two arm length and knot it around the handle of the bone club, so he could hang across his chest and shoulders while not needing it. Satisfied with his work,he swung it a few times, looked pleased and said "Okay, I am ready." It was lightweight, not heavier than wood, and it would be even lighter when it would be fully dried out.

Bear skeleton picture:
http://www.pressrelations.de/presseserv ... 060185.jpg

OOG:
► Show Spoiler

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:02 am

Points spent: 1 ( tracking.
remaining: 28

Gareth stood up as did Ajax. Taking one last sip of his tea he felt his body sores start to fade away. He had specially made the tea with a pain numbing ingredient to help ease his troubled bones but now it was time for work.
" Ajax come!" He snarled as he headed into the tunnels. " " We've got a girl to find."
He had made his way down to the waterfall and started tracking Ril as well as he could Ajax following behind him.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:18 am

Gareth has begun the Personal Quest: Finding Ril

---

Yala soon saw Hitto returning, after perhaps twenty minutes during which time Yala herself had looked around the area outside the caves, seen Gareth leave down the tunnel with Ajax, watched Min coach another villager to build some kind of fire contraption that she did not understand, and all sorts of other hustle and bustle begin to occur in the cave. She looked on with a proud sort of grin on her face, then gestured to the forest. "Everyone ready? Hitto, do you have everything? Min, are you finished with your building?" Yala waited to see whether all four of the others were ready to go, and if so she took the lead and strode off purposefully toward the forest. If not everyone was, she shuffled impatiently for a while til they were.

(Yala points: +1)

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:48 am

-GM update- Quest: Finding Ril

As Gareth exits from the tunnel that he had explored with the light of a torch, he sees now that the group had missed a few details. Where Elto had initially found some footprints, he sees now that they lead toward the waterfall. At night, it had appeared as though there was nothing, now he could tell that there was a small cave hidden from view, blocked by the curvature of the rocks and the falling water.
► Show Spoiler