Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest

Home to all current Forum Games.
Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Re: Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest (Starting Post Up!)

Post by Theis2 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:07 am

points 27
paragraph +1
Total 28

Boe looks around, but doesn't spot any predators nearby.
It doesn't seem like there is much to worry about here though. The bear could have scared all the other predators away at some point, so the caves might be much safer than when we were traveling."
He says this with a smile that seems a bit over the top before looking around to makes sure something doesn't seem to be sneaking towards them.
"I'm enjoying the company and security of more people out here as well." He says this still looking around but nothing seems to catch his eyes.
"If I find any poles that might be used for a spear I'll be sure to grab one for you."
He looks at Min and first now notice how she looks at him.
Boe blushes slightly as he had not thought much of it so far. Getting slightly flustered by that fact he is blushing he smiles shortly and once again appear to look out for trouble in an attempt to hide the fact that he were blushing.
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked
And the Shipwrecked OOC thread

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:12 am

"Are you calling me fat?" Yala laughs, teasing Hitto as she handed him the skulls. Looking down at the old bones as he juggled them about using them to catch the squashed brain, she muses out loud. "We need to make more bowls. We had lots before, but I guess no-one brought them in the rush to escape. We lost so much..." She looks off into the distance sadly for a moment or two, before snapping out of it and looking back at Hitto and Fengo.

"Well, thanks. There are the other skulls and claw-bones if you want them, Fengo. Otherwise just put them back with the others in the pile."

Yala took her skulls-full-of-brains and walked deeper into the cave, looking for Vera. She held the larger, fuller skull in the crook of her left arm and the half-full one in her left hand, and dipped her fingers in to pick up a piece of the nutritious organ and put it into her mouth. Chewing loudly, she poked her head around the corner of a nook in which she could hear people talking, and found the Chief and his wife within. She offered the larger skull out to the other woman. "Nothing is cooked yet, but I thought you might like some of this?"

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:22 am

Starting points: 20
Spending: 1 (finding a good spot to harvest leaves and grass)
Earning: 1 (full paragraph) +6 (GM post)
Final points: 26

Feeling her worries dispelled a little by Boe's logical argument, as well as his constant vigilance Min relaxes a bit.
"If I find any poles that might be used for a spear I'll be sure to grab one for you."
"Well, I'm sure it would be very helpful to have the needed materials good and ready to go, when I am asking Durang to make me a new weapon. So, thanks again." Min says and smiles at Boe again.
As she notices him blushing, she doesn't really know what to make of this. The fact that he is turning away from her, though, prevents her from pushing things, so she doesn't mention it to him, even though her curiosity very much would like her to. Instead, Min returns her own attention to their surroundings and spots a really nice area with lots of long, lush grass and a tree with rather big leaves, just what would be perfect for wrapping the bear meat in.
"Look, over there!" she exclaims excitedly, casually touching Boe's shoulder once more to get his attention and with her other hand pointing to the spot, "this is just what I need."
Grinning very wide, clearly happy about her discovery and the prospect of not having to run around too much in order to gather a lot of usable materials, Min slowly retracts her hand again, and, a little more earnest in her voice, adds: "I guess that means you'll have to go on alone from here on. Stay safe."
► Show Spoiler

reposting point system for own convenience
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:56 am

---GM update---- (Vera)

Vera walked next to Elto as he moved about the cave, inspecting and touching in the detailed way that he viewed the world. Vera sighed and rolled her eyes as she watched him try to pick the perfect cave for them to live in. As she stood there near one of the last of them, little Yala came around the corner holding some skulls, one of which she handed to her. "Nothing is cooked yet, but I thought you might like some of this?" Yala said as she handed Vera the large skull, still filled with tender brain meat. Vera had never been one to really enjoy brain, but something within her suddenly craved it and her stomach rumbled a bit at the thought of food. Vera smiled at the younger girl and reached her fingers into the skull to pluck out some of the quite juicy brain pieces. ÔÇ£Many thanks to you Yala, I have been so hungry recently and this is just what I needed.ÔÇØ As Vera popped small pieces of brain into her mouth, one of the pieces slipped out of her mouth and trailed down her cheek and onto her chin. Elto had turned around when he heard the voices and, always quick to make his wife happy, moved in quickly and slurped the small sliver off of her chin. Vera giggled as Elto licked the rest of the brain juice off of her cheek.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:17 pm

As Yarl walked deeper into the forest, the rays of the sun were at first partially and then almost completely blocked from touching the forest floor. The trees went from lean softwood trees to thicker trees made from more dense wood, the best kind for firewood. The brush hindered him from time to time, forcing him to find a different way around or at times forcing him to take out his small knife and cut back some of the thorny weeds. As he walked though, the weeds and thorny brush grew less dense and was replaced by short grass which swished around his ankles as he walked through it.

Everything was going wonderfully, until Yarl stepped into a warm pile of crap. Instead of keeping his eyes on the ground as he walked he had been looking at the trees and signs of small animals in their branches, which led him to step into the mystery pile. With a grimace over the putrid smell that rose from the pile, Yarl wiped his foot off in the fine grass. A low growl brought Yarl quickly to his senses, and as he whipped around in the direction of the sound he saw a set of gleaming yellow eyes in the underbrush. Fear washed over him, but remembering what his father had told him to do in situations like this, Yarl stood his ground. He slowly, with one hand, took a larger rock from his sling pouch and slipped it into his sling which he slowly dropped into his hand. As he held his sling he could feel his arm trembling. Yarl let out a slow breathe in an attempt to calm himself; this failed.

Two things happened almost simultaneously; the scary creature decided to charge and Yarl decided to run. Without a momentÔÇÖs hesitation and without a backward glance, Yarl did something that he wasnÔÇÖt proud of, he ran, and screamed like a little girl as he did so. Ignoring his initial desire to collect firewood, Yarl ran in the direction of the caves as fast as he could. He ran through the thorny brushes and weeds which ripped at his legs and clothes as he ran. The fear had overtaken him completely and when he finally became aware of his surroundings again, he found himself curled into a ball shivering in the arms of one of the womenfolk.

Aware of his surroundings once again, adrenaline having left his system, Yarl's face turned a deep shade of red as he realized what he had done in view of the entire tribe. ÔÇ£I will never be allowed to forget thisÔÇØ he thought to himself, and with what he hoped was stealth; he crawled from the womanÔÇÖs lap and slunk away into the caves to free himself from the embarrassment of the situation.

Points 23
longer than one paragraph +1
Found a scary creature and successfully escaped -3
Total 21

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:45 am

Current points: 26
+-0 mostly talking
+1 length of post
New Total: 27

"Are you calling me fat?" Yala laughs, teasing Hitto as she handed him the skulls.
"What? No, womanly. This is fat." he joins in on the laughing, shaking one of the skulls now filled with brain demonstratively. He slightly blushes, but being still covered in blood and other things that once were inside the bear, maybe she won't even notice. She was a good woman, he thought, but he did not dare to say anything like that out loud. He forced himself to stop thinking about that. Else the blood on his face might boil, and at least then people would notice.

Just then, the next thing she said made him think not only about bowls, but also about the women in the tribe. The had lost many. Maybe they were more men than women now. Not that Hitto had tried to count them with his fingers. "We need to make more bowls. We had lots before, but I guess no-one brought them in the rush to escape. We lost so much..." She looks off into the distance sadly for a moment or two, before snapping out of it and looking back at Hitto and Fengo.
"We can make new ones. New home, new things." he tries to comfort her and make her feel less sad, despite of himself also feeling sad. "I can look for large nuts or good pieces of wood when I explore the forest. Have not been there yet, but I am eager to see how those trees are. I really hope there are as much bee nests as there were where we came from."

Hitto kept scraping organic matter from the skull, then, when it was clean enough, he said to Fengo "There it is. Not one teeth missing. If you don't mind I will run to the river and clean it a bit mo-." He was interrupted when Yarl came running back to the caves, screaming and in panic. "What is up?" Hitto asked surprised, and kept his eyes on the distance edge of the forest to see if something was actually chasing Yarl or not.
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Yala left the larger skull-bowl of brain with Vera and headed back into the main cave, just in time to see Yarl slinking past and a tribeswoman blushing in what seemed like shared embarrassment, or perhaps pity. She watched him go with one raised eyebrow, then shrugged and stuffed the remainder of her share of the brain into her mouth, chewing hurriedly and then putting the skull back on the pile of bones.

Her snack completed, she sat back down next to the bear carcass - from which a large proportion of the meaty haunch and side parts had been removed and taken to the newly-built cooking area - and leaned in close to it to look at the remnants. She pulled her little flint knife from under her hat and busied herself with slicing loose long strings of tendon and ligament from the bones and remaining flaps of muscle, laying the loose sinews flat across the bear's ribcage to keep them from dragging on the dusty floor beneath her. Once she ran out of locations to cut along the animal's leg bones, she leant over the beast's remains and worked her fingers along the edge of it's backbone up by it's neck until she found the join there, and hooked her knife in to pop loose the longest cords that ran down each side of it's spine. She disconnected the other ends from near the animal's tail, then pried free the sinews and their protective coating from alongside the vertebrae and added them to the pile on the bear's side.

Once she had freed the sinews from the corpse, Yala turned her attention to the animal's remaining intestines. The hungry tribesfolk had already taken the liver and kidneys, and the heart had gone to Elto - but Yala was not interested in those. She spied much more useful parts remaining. With not a care for the gross nature of the carcass, she dug one little hand into the bear's abdomen and pulled out loops of intestine and bowel until she located the stomach at the top of it all. Holding it tight and closed with that hand, she cut around the tube that opened into it, leaving the muscle that kept the whole thing semi-sealed in tact. Keeping it on top of the pile of organs, she worked her way back along the length of the intestines until the smaller, finer tube turned into a larger and thicker one. Knowing from her previous work with the women of the tribe that the larger tube contained the most filth and waste, she cut free the intestine at the valve that joined the two and left the larger part behind.

Standing up with the closed stomach in her hand, and her arms full of looped and bloodied intestine, Yala stomped a dripping and messy path out of the cave and some distance away, into the short grasses not close to the cavemouth, to empty her prizes of their non-useful and frankly unsavoury contents.

(Yala points: 21. GM Update award: +2. Long action of harvesting bear parts -5. Post over a paragraph +1. New total 19.)

CroverusRaven
Converses Frequently

Post by CroverusRaven » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:22 pm

Current Points: 20
Points spent: -3(encounter harmless herbivores, learn how to consume fruit "pods")
Points gained: +2 from GM update, +1 from length of post
Final points: 20

Durang and the sling thrower observed several simian creatures arrive at the trees bearing the strange pods and watch the creatures collecting pods that had fallen. They broke open the pods at one end and scooped out the juicy insides. One of the creatures noticed the two cavemen but did not approach and quickly forgot about the new arrivals when both made no move. Once the creatures moved on, having ignored the pods still hanging from the tree, Durang gathers up some more and pauses to crack one open and taste the inside. It wasn't particularly sweet or bitter, a rather bland taste really. But it was mushy and filled his stomach. Gathering enough so that the tribe could split one among every two members, he and the slinger made their way back to the caves, traveling quickly to make it before the sun set.

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:06 pm

Current points: 20
Spending: 0 (Just moving back and forth)
Regained: 1 (post longer than a paragraph, +6 GM)
New Total: 27

Fengo was so engrossed in thinking of a tribal name he almost didn't hear Yarl's scream, and he could only look up belatedly as he took the bear skull and headed back to his chosen cave. "The other skulls and claws and such can wait. For now, I bring this one back to my chosen cave." He'd return to his cave and set down the skull in a carefully chosen position along one of the walls before he returned to the greater group that was working on "processing" the bear. Nearly forgetting he hadn't finished his tea where he'd left it, he drank the rest of it in a series of quick sips before turning to Yarl and asking him what it was that made him retreat. If it was dangerous, an armed group would be better to handle it than a single person, and if not, then it was a simple mistake that could be laughed off with the rest of the tribe.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:19 pm

points 28
Setting up a snare -3
Paragraph +1
total 26

"I guess it does. I better get going so I can get back in time for the dinner. You don't have any berries or nuts on you? I could use that to try capture a small animal while I'm looking for the sticks."
Boe
takes anything that Min hands him before saying a short goodbye and start to slowly run towards the forest.

About halfways there he notice a scream coming from the forest but not directly from where he is about to enter. Soon after he sees Yarl come running out. Boe attempts to call him but is ignored by Yarl as he continues to run.
Boe continues to the edge of the forest but stops for a moment considering what Yarl was running from. He took a big breath and reminded himself when he faced one of the large cats alone once.
"You just need to seem big and dangerous. Show no fear and that you certainly will hurt them if they attempt to eat you. They will go away and save their energy from easier prey."
Boe
enters the forest and finds the first suitable tree to set up his snare. He either uses what Min gave him or nearby plants in an effort to make it look like something edible is in the middle of the ring.
Satisfied with his work and lack of better bait he sets of in an effort to find sticks and branches for Min.
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:57 am

Starting points: 26
Spending: 0 (already paid for the leaf and grass harvesting and finding a good, flat 'anvil' rock in a previous post)
Earning: 1 (full paragraph)
Final points: 27

"No, sorry, Boe, I have nothing on me, except my this." Min said, shaking her head at the tall young man and showing her small clay pot containing the fire paste to him. "And even though that was made from some kind of fruit, I very much doubt that it would be fit to attract any animals. In fact, I am carrying it around as my only means of defense. If some predator was trying to feast on me, I'd give him a mouthful of this, instead, to make him change his mind."
Min
chuckled at Boe's confused expression. "It's very, VERY spicey. That's why I call it 'fire paste'. " she explained. "I use it for cooking, but rather sparingly, or whoever ate what has been treated with the paste, is gonna end up spending a lot of time in the bushes, if you know what I mean." Min couldn't help but grin a little mischievously at that thought. "Especially if they are not used to it."

Min bade Boe farewell and finally set out to gather the needed materials, plucking the biggest leaves of the tree she could reach without having to climb, and ripping whole bushels of grass out of the ground, grabbing them near the roots and pulling as hard as she can, humming softly to herself as she works, but keeping an eye and an ear out for anything that could endanger her.
While she collected the plant parts, she spotted a very nice, rather big and flat stone, and, when she had enough resources for what she had in mind, she picked the stone up, too, and took it back to the tribal fire pit with her, staggering a little under the weight of the stone, and whole armfuls of grass and leaves, as her tummy rumbled audibly, her not having had much to eat today, yet. She regretted having left the seeds back in her new home, at least she could have nibbled on them, if she had them with her now. Or she could have given them to Boe, when he asked her for bait, and maybe earned a favor with him. Unbeknownst to her, Min smiled once more as she thought of Boe and how helpful he was. A smile that lasted all the way back to the camp.

She had been far enough from the path that Yarl took, so she hadn't even noticed the ruckus he made on his desperate flight. She only, bewilderedly, found the tribe in some sort of flurry, as she returned. "What was that all about?" Min couldn't help asking no one in particular, her curiosity driving her.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:30 am

Points 26
finding sticks for Min -3
Retrieving trap -1
paragraph +1
total 23

Boe walks through the forest feeling his heart beating slightly faster than it was on the plains. His senses felt sharpened knowing something was out here able to make Yarl flee screaming. He grabbed the first club he found on the ground and took it with him while handling his stone knife in his left hand. He felt better now that he had something to defend himself with in case something should come.
As Boe wandered among the trees he spotted a couple of branches lying on the ground matching Min's description of what she were needing. A few of the other and thinner poles he got from trees using his knife and a lot of force to break them. Once he found the necessary things he decided to return to his trap to retrieve it and anything captured and then return to the camp.
► Show Spoiler
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:58 am

---GM Update!---

Boe finds that his trap was successful: he has snared a rabbit. It must have run through his trap not long before he arrived, because it is alive and chewing on the sinew caught around it's hind leg. It has not managed to free itself but it will damage the trap soon if left to it's own devices.

--

(OOC: You can assume you succeed and say what you caught, based on your own point expenditure. I'm happy to post things like this when I see that you want input, but don't feel obliged to wait - if you wanted to catch a cat, or have your caught thing be dead, and so on - spend some points and go for it :))

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:36 pm

Yarl walks out of the caves with a shy look on his face and a hint of red on his cheeks. Extremely embarrassed by running away from the woods he answers the tribes-people who ask him what he saw. "I was looking for firewood in the woods." Yarl points in the direction of the forest. "I was walking along and stepped in a large pile of crap, which i think belonged to whatever growled at me. I never got a good look as to what it was though, all i know is it had glowing yellow eyes, I feared for my life and ran." Yarl realizes now that walking so deep into the forest by himself was a stupid thing to do as there were sure to be unknown dangers in this new area that they had settled into. After explaining all that he saw, he settled down by the fire and watched the meat cook. "I can't wait to sink my teeth into some of that meat, it smells so good" he says with a sigh.

Points 21

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:33 am

Starting points: 27
Spending: 1 ("audience" with the Chief, hopefully getting him to listen)
Final points: 27

'Old part' (from previous post, re-posted for better chronological readability)
► Show Spoiler
Min listens with much interest at the news Yarl has to tell, while she still continues to hit meat slabs with her rock for the tribe and hand them out again. She momentarily stops her work, to crane her neck once more, and as she's not successful in spotting who she's looking for, she puts down the rock and leaves her spot. "Taking a short break, I'll be right back. Keep those slabs coming." she says.

She doesn't have to search long for the Chief, and when she reaches Elto, she nods at him out of respect, and then comes straight to the point. "Chief, in the light of what happened to Yarl, I think it would be paramount to our safety, that we didn't let our guard down, just because we plan to make this cave system our new home. We know next to nothing about the surroundings, about the predators that might occupy this valley, or any other danger around. It might have been pure luck that all of us that ventured out there, have returned unharmed so far." Min pauses and a frown creeps onto her face, as the thought crosses her mind that she hadn't seen [tribe member], Durang, Boro or Boe return yet, and that they might still be out there, possibly hurt, or worse, unable to return. "What I am trying to say is, that, if possible, it would be very wise not to have people wander about unarmed or alone or worse even, both and to have someone stand watch over all of us at night." Min nods again, and awaits any response to her suggestion from the Chief, before respectfully leaving him and Vera to their own devices.

On her way back to the meat pounding stone, Min makes a point of finding and stopping by Yarl, gently touching his shoulder to get his attention. "How about you get out your bone flute and play a few melodies for us? I'm sure the tribe could do with something to take their minds off their daily struggle. And it will make the time until you can eat pass faster, too." Min smiles encouragingly at Yarl, and, after sitting down at her 'meat anvil', where a small pile of unpounded slabs has stacked up in her absence, Min continues her duties and passes the next tenderized slab of meat to him, so he can impale it on a branch and get the roasting process started before his hands will be occupied otherwise.

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:41 am

---GM Update---

Elto frowned and nodded at Min as she spoke, while Vera stood next to him paying more attention to the remnants of the brain she'd been eating, but was still listening herself.

"I agree. We have travelled a long way, the creatures here might be nothing like those we are used to back home - and since this valley seems uninhabited, predators could be stronger and more abundant than at home, where our hunting kept their numbers down and the intelligent ones learnt to keep their distance. And besides - we lost many of our most able warriors in Rongarr's attack. We will struggle to defend ourselves even on our own ground here in the caves, if something like the bear takes us by surprise. I will not stop people from exploring if they want to - fear cannot be our master - but I advise caution in these early days. Let it be known, then, that people going to the forest should travel in pairs, and always armed. And of course, we will have a watch at night. Perhaps two people at once awake, taking it in turns."

--

OOC GM note: The "Weekly Update" (this week, it's focused around the first main meal) will arrive either later today or early tomorrow. If your character is out and about, please have them make their way home soon for convenience. Future updates will probably not need this, as they won't necessarily focus around one major event that requires everyone to be present, but for this one, it'll be nicest/easiest if everyone is back in time for dinner ;)

Theis2
Moderates Controversy!

Post by Theis2 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:51 am

Points 23
paragraph +1
binding the rabbit -1
Total 23

Boe grabs the rabbit making sure the sinew is out of reach from its mouth. Boe then sits down on the ground and holds the rabbit close to his body using his arm, and the hand holding the mouth shut. He then bind the sinew around the jaw making the rabbit unable to use the jaw. He then proceeds to binding the legs together tightly making sure it can't move those either and get free. Once it is done he drops the rabbit in his bag and picks it up along with the lumber he found earlier and quickly walk towards the caves.

Once he arrives at the caves he quickly spots Min and walks towards her.
"Hey, I got you the sticks I hope they match what you were looking for since there wasn't that many that were broken off as one could hope. Oh I got one more thing for you as well."
Boe
pulls the rabbit out of his hat bag and hands it to Min.
"I got lucky with my trap. I would like to get the sinew back once you cook it. I need it for my trap, but I thought it were better to not kill it so the meat doesn't begin to get bad and smelly before it was eaten."
Games I'm in
► Show Spoiler
I'm a GM for Shipwrecked

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:18 am

Starting points: 27
Spending: 0 (mainly talking)
Final points: 28

Dropping the rock and quickly getting to her feet, Min's face radiates genuine relief, when she sees that Boe has returned to the tribe. "You're back! And you found me some suitable materials. I'm sure I can make these work. Thank you." Glancing at the wood Boe has brought with him and taking notice that he seems unharmed, a smile, that lights up even Min's eyes, dawns on her lips. "Come here, sit with me, have something to eat. You must be tired and hungry."

"... Oh I got one more thing for you as well." Boe pulls the rabbit out of his hat bag and hands it to Min.
"I got lucky with my trap. I would like to get the sinew back once you cook it. I need it for my trap, but I thought it were better to not kill it so the meat doesn't begin to get bad and smelly before it was eaten."

For several seconds Min stares at the little, fluffy, tied up animal in baffled disbelief. "For me? You mean I get to keep all of it? The meat, the fur, the bones, everything?"
Taking his comment about him needing the sinew back for his trap as a confirmation, Min launches herself into Boe's arms to thank him with an ebullient hug, overwhelmed by the gratefulness she feels. "Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! You're so generous!" she squees next to his ear.
"Let me quickly bring it into my cave." Min says, as she dissolves the hug, pointing to the spot next to the one she had been sitting in most of the evening and which she had vigilantly kept unoccupied, reserved for him, seeing how he would be later to claim his place than others, because he agreed to help her. "You just sit down here and relax, I'll be right back and then you can tell me all about the woods, what else you have found and experienced. There are two branches with meat right in front of you, I cooked them, they should be good to eat about now. Help yourself, why don't you? The right one has been treated with my fire paste, in case you want to try it. Or avoid it, whatever the case may be..."
Min
voice trails off, as she sends another happy, dashing smile Boe's way, then she turns on her heels and walks to her cave to put the bunny, still securely tied up into a furry bundle into her backpack, the dark confined space hopefully to keep it somewhat calm. On the way there and back again, her mind is already occupied with all the things that she could do with the parts of the rabbit. Cook a nice stew, maybe get Yala to sew her some new gloves from the fur, make some needles or pins or tools from the bones and teeth. Or some parts for a contraption she still needs to dream up ...

► Show Spoiler
Somewhat important note (see my signature, also):
I'll have only limited Internet access from 27th Oct. to 1st Nov.
I will try to keep on reading and posting here, and in all my other games, but if it looks like I can't make it in time for any updates, please let the co-players vote for my char's actions and/or put my char in semi-intelligent automatic mode. (i.e. not have them stand around drooling when hostiles approach and get killed by inaction.)
► Show Spoiler

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:56 am

S: 21 E: 1 Sp: 0 T: 22

Muck grunted in satisfaction, certain, now, after watching their trail as he followed behind, that they had not been tracked. He imagined his father had done the same for his old tribe and led them far from the crazed warrior posing as a sole leader for all the tribes, demanding their obedience and resources be given unto him. It was a fools idea, but Muck knew that fools didn't listen very well, so he had soldiered on with the clan of refugees and hung back to protect them as best he could. They hadn't been followed, at least not by any scout he could locate. The last thing they needed in the new territory was to have to deal with the very thing they fled, but there was not much else he could do, at least for now.

Thumbing the handle of his knife in thought, Muck turned from the trail of the others once more to head towards the clearing in an effort to get a different vantage of their new home than the rest of the clan had on the path they took into the valley. Fresh; wild; free. Free. He didn't expect to think so much of such a word, but now, as he cast his eyes over the seemingly bright and vibrant land they now occupied, it made more sense to do so. This would be his legacy, his tribe to protect and his friends and family to grow old with or die alongside against whatever the spirits sent to test their mettle. It was an exciting prospect to consider.

The scent of smoke drew his attention away from the valley itself, sparking worry of wildfire until he saw it streaming from one of the cave entrances. So, Chief had settled the clan into the caves? He watched briefly until he registered familiar bodies moving around among the caves and into them and nodded in simple agreement with Elto's decision. He would be a good chief to follow; he already had them settled in and, if he wasn't mistaken by the greasy smell of the smoke, already made a kill? Though, it was possible he only smelled the remnants of the food they'd brought with them on the fire. He wouldn't find out until he got down the hill to greet everyone who survived.

Satisfied with his assessment of the area, Muck secured his knife and hurried on to the caves, deciding to wait on searching for game signs till he'd checked in.

--------

Muck hustled into the caves, nodding to the other tribesman as he passed them as he searched for Elto. It proved simple enough to find out where they'd settled him down, though from what he heard from the chatter it sounded like he'd been wounded, somehow. It was then that he noticed the carcass being worked on and realized where the scent of greasy smoke emanated from; a fairly massive bear. The chief had gone against this beast alone? Certainly he was worthy as a leader!

As Muck approaches where the chief is being tended he rests his spear against a cave wall and pulls his knife, raising it into a salute by holding the length of the handle against his forehead with the point down and the cutting edge rested against his nose.

"Chief, Muck arrives safely; no sign of being followed. Does Elto have orders?"

Having addressed Elto, Muck offers a nod of respect to those tending to the chief's wounds before slotting the blade back into it's sheath in the sabre skin cloak.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:53 am

--GM Post--

Elto looks up as Muck arrives, nodding his approval that the younger warrior has made it to the caves, and not doing a very good job of hiding his clear relief. ÔÇ£Glad to see you joined us...I was beginning to worry that you would not find the valley. No orders for now, although IÔÇÖd be interested to hear more about what you saw around our new home while you were scouting.ÔÇØ

--GM Update!--

The sun slowly begins to fall toward the western horizon, streaks of red, gold and blue paint the sky. Dusk begins to settle over the valley as the light begins to fade. Fortunately for the travelers, the moon is full, and has risen into the heavens to beam its light for any tribesfolk who have wandered too far from the caves.

Having partially settled into their new home, the group of weary travelers had taken great care in skinning and butchering the bear, which Elto said was a gift from the stars. Great chunks of meat were taken from the beast and set onto spits to cook for the group, with more buried under the fire for tomorrowÔÇÖs meals. Small groups had set out to the forest and river and returned burdened with supplies of wood and food, and telling stories of the creatures they'd seen and the locations of food and water they'd found. Others had worked on their new home, cleaning the caves and digging a firepit, claiming areas for their belongings and exploring the darker rear caves. One had ventured into a second cave and not returned.

--

The tribe gathers around the fire, their work done for now and thoughts turned only to filling their bellies and warming their bones. The eyes of the people surrounding the fire pit sparkle as they watch as smell the sizzling meat, licking their lips in expectation of the feast and chewing at the fruit brought home by Durang to sate their hunger while the meat cooks.

Dark clouds roll into view and cast a quick and deep darkness over the plains surrounding the caves. The deep rumbles of the incoming storm shake and reverberate filling the caves with a cacophony of sound. The clouds begin to spit flashes of lightning at the ground as the rain begins to fall in torrents. The overhang on the cliff face provides protection from the pelting rain, and the fire which was smartly built underneath its shelter sputters and sparks as the occasional raindrops fall into its warm embrace. The large fire that was built to cook the meat also helps in keeping the cold wind that the rain has brought with it at bay, but still the group huddles together for warmth against the occasional blasts of chilled air. As the fire cooks the meat, Min and several of the other self-appointed cooks for the day check the chunks now and then to make sure they do not burn. Finally, the food is declared to be cooked, and with sharp knives the slabs and chunks of meat are cut into more manageable pieces and handed around. The juices of the bear meat dribble down the chins of the children as they laugh and yell about how tasty the meat is. Within the cave one could hear the many sounds of people talking amongst themselves and congratulations to the cooks on such a marvelous tasting feast.

After an hour or so of driving rain and loud thunder, the rumbling of the clouds finally ceased, though the rain continued to fall. Fortunately the cave was still dry and had gotten quite warm from the large fire. As the tribe finished their food Elto slowly stood up and raised his hands to quiet the group and then began to speak. ÔÇ£My people, we have traveled far these many moons and have finally reached this new land so far from what was once our home. This journey has been hard and all of us have lost someone who we knew.ÔÇØ As he spoke, tears welled up in his eyes as he remembered his father sacrificing his life for this tribe. Across the expanse of the cave others of the tribe also teared up as they thought of the family members and friends that had died either then or on the journey here. Taking a moment to compose himself, Elto continued. ÔÇ£I have not yet made my decision on the name of our tribe. Many of you think that the bear and the cave should form part of our name, as a lasting reminder of our beginnings here. But FengoÔÇÖs suggestion of a more fearsome name is something I must consider. I will decide soon - by the next full moon, we will surely have our name.ÔÇØ

As Elto finished his words he hesitated for a moment and then spoke up again. ÔÇ£There is much that we will need to do to make these caves more habitable. Before we lose the light of the fire, we should clean the cave and make sure everyone has somewhere to sleep. Then tomorrow we have much work to do in making this place a permanent home, rather than just a hole in a cliff.ÔÇØ

-----

Current Group Quests: Name the Tribe, Make the Caves Habitable.

Note: Ril is still missing. She has not been seen since the group arrived. Your characters notice this. (We aren't glossing over her disappearance/retconning her out!)

The time at the update is Dusk. There is an hour or so to do things but then itÔÇÖll be time to sleep. Feel free to post conversations you had throughout dinner etc, but the next main update will occur and time will progress again when everyone's settled down for the night, so the sooner that happens the sooner we move along :)

Points awards:
► Show Spoiler

Aegis J Hyena
Game Master

Post by Aegis J Hyena » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:22 pm

Current points: 27
Spending: 0 (Just babbling)
Regained: 1 (post longer than a paragraph)
New Total: 28

Once Elto had spoken, Fengo nodded his agreement and stood up. "Our chief is right, we need a name that has power behind it. Our name will be in the mouths of others, either as a powerful word of friendship or defense... or a word to be feared because it means death upon our enemies." He looked at the surrounding tribe. "I have been going over multiple 'words' now while we make these caves our home, but have not narrowed it down to any one I like more than others. The name needs to be unique; any could call their clan 'bear killer' or 'bear claw'. We need something to say 'this is US and you won't forget US'."

He sat back down, spearing a slab of meat with a stick and holding it over the fire. "Eat up, everyone. Tomorrow we make the caves our long-term home before expanding outward to explore. I will commune with the spirits for their blessing before an exploration party is brought together to explore the back caves and the forest outside." He grew quiet after that, remembering those who had fallen during their escape, and mentally giving thanks to the bear's spirit for providing them with the tools needed to start a new life. He was getting old and thought someone was missing from the group, but with so many people around and his belly still grumbling for more food he put the thought out of his mind for the moment; surely everyone was here that was going to be here.
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Capricornian/

It's Always Something. No, don't give me that look. It's Always Something.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:12 am

Points spent: 0
+1 for paragraph.
remaining: 22

Gareth and Ajax sit apart from the tribe. Ajax gnawing on some old meat while Gereth sips his tea. When the chief spoke of making the caves habitable he rolls his eyes a little. He has very little intention of staying here with the tribe. The risk that Ajax would slip away and devour some idiotic child too stupid to keep his distance was to high. In the morning he intended to scout outside and find a place suitable for him and Ajax to make home.
Than after taking a quick look around he noticed that the female who had gone looking for water wasn't here. He double checked making sure his fading eyes hadn't missed but sure enough she wasn't here.
Gereths body began to tense up, if someone was missing that could mean a enemy tribe had killed or or a wild animal and he wouldn't feel safe until he discovered what had happened to her.

Gereth makes his way to Elto and signals Ajax to keep his distance.
" Elto, were missing someone. That girl that went looking for water." He whispers. " What should we do?"

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:36 am

Yala had finished cutting open and emptying out the intestines before dinner, but took the opportunity to hang them out in the rain once the storm started. Using some of the bones from the pile like a rack, she stabbed them into the soft ground in a circle and stacked longer legbones across the top, then looped the intestine around and over them, and did the same with the sinews round some smaller bones. She propped the stomach itself open with a rib and trapped it in between a couple of rocks to stop it rolling away, and then put the grisly assortment of parts just outside the cavemouth.

After the feast was completed, she went back to them and found them pleasingly clean and still wet, and the stomach itself half-full of relatively clean rainwater. She emptied the stomach then set it back up to collect water again, and brought the sinews and intestine back into the dryness of the cave, along with several of her makeshift stakes. The sinews would need freeing from their protective sheaths before they could be used, but the damp fat and flesh would keep them soft until she could work with them - thus she draped them over an out-jutting rock to keep them out of the way, and left them til later. More importantly, now that they were fully clean and moistened, she could stretch, twist and dry the intestines into one long rope. She scraped the last of the internal tissues away with her little hooked knife, working methodically along the length of the smooth tube at first. Then she started at the end again, folding the top over the bulb of the longest leg-bone and looping the whole thing over and over, using the bone like a spool to keep the intestine unfolded and taut. Once she was done, she used a spare cut piece of tendon to tie around the spool and keep it together, and propped it up against a wall.

Yala points: 19. GM award +2. Medium action -3. Post +1. New total 19.)

---GM Post---

Elto frowned at Gareth's whisper, replying quietly to the man in kind so that not everyone was alerted to the situation. "Are you sure? I confess I do not know our full numbers - we lost so many along the route, and with the bear attack and the hustle and bustle, I had not done a head-count. If you're sure, we will send a party to look. But it is dark now, and raining..." The young man seems unsure what to do, but after a quiet moment of thought he speaks again, only for Gareth's ears. "It will be dangerous to venture after her at night, especially since the exact same fate could befall us as her - if she took a turn and got lost, or fell down a hidden dip... but I will not be seen as uncaring or cowardly. Gather two volunteers - but do it discreetly. The four of us will go after her. If we don't find her quickly, we will have to return here for the night and try again in the morning."

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:46 am

" I may be old but I have not lost my wits. I counted our numbers five times since we fled. We are missing a girl. "
"It will be dangerous to venture after her at night, especially since the exact same fate could befall us as her - if she took a turn and got lost, or fell down a hidden dip... but I will not be seen as uncaring or cowardly. Gather two volunteers - but do it discreetly. The four of us will go after her. If we don't find her quickly, we will have to return here for the night and try again in the morning."
" Fine, I'll bring Ajax he should offer the strength of two men if we encounter anything dangerous."
Gereth stomped off giving eyeing the villagers warily before mentally choosing a villager and the big Muck boy. However discreet wasn't really in his nature as he grabbed both gruffly by the arm and told them to wait for him and the chief at the mouth of the cave. He also grabbed a spear from another villager with only a gruff " I need more than you.." Any protest is met with a growl by Ajax and glare by Gereth.
He gives a quick nod to the chief before heading to the mouth of the cave where hopefully the two chosen tribemen wait for him.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Re: Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest

Post by Mereneth » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:30 am

S: 25 E: 1 Sp: 0 T: 26
Muck snarled in response to being roughly treated, prepared to confront the wolf handler, though he was hardly given the chance as Gereth pressed onward, as if the encounter hadn't merited more time or effort. Fuming, yet curious what he had meant by sending him to the cave mouth, Muck settled for glaring at the old mans back as he put the garnered rage to the side and followed after. Anger could wait for a better time, such as once he learned what was coming to involve more than two men.

Muck paused long enough to fetch his spear from where he had leaned it, then hurried to the entrance. It was tempting to try and 'accidentally' step on the wolf's tail, so as to get some petty revenge for being mishandled by the beasts owner, though it was a short lived thought.

"Why do you bring us here? Have we not already had scouts check the nearby land for danger and food?"

Muck posed his questions as he joined Gereth at the cave mouth, hiding his anger within them in hopes he would learn more of the issue first.