Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest

Home to all current Forum Games.
Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Re: Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest

Post by Jacon » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:00 am

" If they did they did a shit job" Growled Gereth glancing at the others inside making sure none but the two here could hear him. " one of ours is missing. A girl who want to fetch water. She hasn't returned. Chief said I should gather two men and wait for him here. "
He couldn't help but notice Mucks displeasure after being rudely beckoned. In the old days a snarl like he give him would have gotten a quick punch to the face followed by a vicious fight but nowadays something like that would incapacitate him for a couple of days. So instead he just give a small grin and just goaded the large ogre. " You should respect your elders more son. In my day snarling at a elder got you a whipping. I should know I bear quite a few scars of my own for mishandling elders."

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:39 am

--GM Post--

The villager accosted by Gereth was surprised but knew better than to argue with the old man, and so he hurried to the front of the cave, where he stood looking uncomfortable as Muck and Gereth bickered.

Elto arrived at the front of the cave, armed with his own spear. He had left the tribe's totem knife behind, tucked in with his wife Vera's belongings. He silenced the discussion with a gesture of his hand and brought the three other men out of the cave and across to the smaller tunnel opening, out of earshot of the main cave.

"Good, you're all here and ready. Alright, Gereth here brought it to my attention that one of the women went down this tunnel when we arrived, and she hasn't returned. We four are going to go after her and see what happened. I haven't alerted everyone because I don't want a mass panic...hopefully we can be back before too many people notice what's happened. [Villager], you go back to the fire and bring us a source of light - the rain will be a problem but hopefully you can keep a torch alive until it's into the tunnel. I will lead us. Muck, you will be next, but stay near to my side. Gereth, you and Ajax will go behind him. [Villager] will bring up the rear, so that his torch lights the way but does not blind us. Any questions?"

The villager, having no questions and no input to add, dutifully scuttled back through the rain to the fire. He took a small piece of firewood and bundled bark and grass tinder around one end, then touched it to the fire and waited impatiently while the flames caught hold of the wood itself. He shook the cinders of bark loose before they fell to his hand, and experimentally tested the torch out in the rain to see if it would hold. It was smoky and inefficient, but it held, and was the best he could do - so, after a minute or two to make sure the wood was truly alight, he shielded it rather ineffectively with his hand and sprinted the short distance back towards the tunnelmouth, squeezed past the small group there, and got inside to the relative shelter.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:26 pm

S: 26 E: 1 Sp: 1* T: 26

"My father taught me to learn from my elders, not suffer their grumping or blows. I will not stay my hand next time. You want a fight, I will give it; bring your wolf into it and the tribe will have new foot covers."

Muck tapped his right shoulder with his fist and made a motion as if to toss it in Gereths direction. The old man needed to teach the young his skills, not bully them into doing his bidding; a lesson, it seemed, Muck might end up needing to drive home. This might not be his original tribe, but he would not roll over to this worn, wiry veteran and act like the cowed wolf at his side, a wild thing who sold it's feral spirit and wild heart to slave itself to the heel of it's conqueror. He knew that taking this position would be inviting conflict, but he had also been taught to stand his ground.

Satisfied there was nothing more to say, yet, he turned and listened to Elto as he gave his instructions. As Elto sent the other villager off to retrieve a torch, It occurred to Muck that, given his comment, even with the chief present the taunt might prove sufficient to provoke the elder into attacking him. Making as if to scratch at his back beneath the sabre skin, he *loosened the knife there to make it easier to draw in case it was necessary. With the precaution tended to, he offered his own thoughts on the search, unsure of what unspoken things the Chief had considered.

"Elto, what if this cave is actually many? What will we do if the way splits and there is not enough to track by?"

As the other villager returned with light, Muck peered into the hungry, dark depths of what lay ahead, curious as to what they would find. Hopefully not the girls corpse; perhaps some useful old bone or razor rock?

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:44 am

--GM Post--

"If we cannot locate her quickly we must return here for the night and try again with the sun on our side tomorrow. But we will stick together. No one is to go off alone, and if we find that this place is maze-like inside, we will have to approach it methodically so we do not get lost. From what I can see at least, the first part of the tunnel appears to be one long branch though."

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:22 am

As soon as Muck raised his fist their was a angry growl from Ajax but Gereth simply raised a hand to his wolf who quickly backed off giving Muck vicious glares.
"No ones looking for a fight but you boy, but if you want one come find me after today and i'll teach you. ." He says simply. The boy reminded him a little of himself at that age except back than he didn't have the same muscle to back his threats. For now he would let the his arrogant comments slide. Turning to the chief and nods.
" Alright, i'll let you know if Ajax senses anything. ."

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:59 am

Current points: 27
+- 0 mostly talking, moving items around
+1 length of post
New Total: 28

When Fengo took the skull, Hitto was kind of glad he did not have to stick to the promisse to clean it at the river, as the evening got darker much faster than naturally with the storm coming in quickly, driven by strong winds. The sky was darker as it should be by the level of the sun. Instead of cleaning the skull, he hurried to move his ropes, vines and other belongings into the cave, preferably to a dry spot in the middle. He did not dare to chose a cave yet. Hitto did not like rain. It might be good on a hunt, since it washed away scent, but for climbing it was not good. It made things slippery and lethal. He would not be able to climb for one or two days now, depending how fast the sun dried the things and how wet this area was. If the trees had much moss or lichens, they would longer stay wet. He would at least take a look at the forest tomorrow to check on that.

Later, after everybody ate, he sat at the fire and listened to what the chief had to say to them. Hitto saw the wisdom in his words, but the child in him was kind of disappointed that the clan had not received a name yet. Yes, the name had to say it was them, not just somebody who met or killed a bear. Many had done that. And he didn't mind a strong name, it would make him proud. But the strength had to come from what they were. Not something made up to frighten others. This would be a lie, and if others would recognize the lie, the name would have no strength at all. Only falseness. He went to the chief and tried to get a few minutes of his time to talk about it, he also tried to make Fengo join the conversation. "How about the wanderers? This is us, this has been us for the last moons, for a very long time. Walking so long requires strength, and we did it. We wandered and found a new home. I also know many think putting the bear into our name, since it is a strong animal and you killed one to claim our home, which was a good omen. I would not mind combining the bear with wanderers, but the focus should be on wanderers. If we just choose a name anybody could pick over a killed animal, it maybe would contain strength but physical strength you could find everywhere. But strength of mind and heart, the decision to move so far, to give up everything for the chance of a better life, that is rare. This is us. Not everybody has that kind of strength. If you are open for a wordplay, then the bearing wanderers sounds just perfect in my ears. There is the wanderers, the bear, and also us bearing so many things on our long journey."

OOC: I had not much time to read lately, so I only respond on the large update and Fengo's words for now, not on the other stories thereafter. I might do that in another post later.
Last edited by Nerre on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
:zzz:

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:48 am

--GM Post--

The small group set off with Elto at the fore, heading down the small tunnel. The journey takes about 15 minutes, the floor is damp and the way is blocked in several places by large boulders and piles of smaller rocks, as if the tunnel walls had slipped in the past. The group can get through, but the way is slow in several places and they get dripped on by water leaking through the ceiling. Every now and again Elto calls a halt and inspects something, looking behind boulders and poking at piles of dirt to see whether there are any hidey holes or extra routes down which Ril could have disappeared, but none are found. As they progress along the tunnel, the sound of crashing water gets louder and louder.

After almost fifteen minutes, the group can all see the waterfall through the opening at the end of the tunnel, but there is no-one else here. The waterfall tumbles down into a large and deep pool, which empties into a quickflowing stream that spills down a gentle slope to join up with the main river, some long distance away.

"Alright everyone - let's spread out and look around here to see if we can see any sign of the girl. Don't go too far out of sight, and be careful not to slip into the pond."

Elto himself walks around the edge of the cliff, looking for other tunnels or caves in which Ril might be hidden or lost.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:03 am

Gereth nods at Elto and makes his way to the deep pool and peers inside but the dark water reveals nothing to his eyes. Ajax meanwhile started to sniff around and than gently scratch at a few rocks before snorting.
" Boy!" Gereth snarled at the villager with the torch who walked up to see what the elder wanted. " Hold the torch high I'm gonna check the pool." Gereth said slipping off his shirt and pants revealing his gaunt body. Horrible scars covered every inch of his body especially on his back where thin long lined scars cover him. Gereth took a deep breath before jumping into the icy pond. Ajax whimpered as Gereth disappeared from sight.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:05 pm

--GM response--

The villager did as Gereth asked - the rain was still coming down but thankfully the cliff face sheltered the alcove quite well from most of the downpour. The spray from the waterfall itself did cause the torch to sputter and weaken, but it still cast good light and was in no danger of going out, unless it suddenly got much windier or the rain increased.

Gereth found as he jumped into the frigid water that the pool itself was deeper than he was tall; he could not touch the bottom. But when he dunked his head underwater and opened his eyes to look, it became apparent that he could reach the bottom by swimming down, and that the pool itself was only three men deep. There were fish here - he felt them swish past him and away as he moved through the water - and the bottom of the pool itself seemed to move with all sorts of life, little crayfish and crablike creatures scuttling around among large and small stones and tall strings of underwater grasses hiding smaller fishes. There were many interesting things down here, but there was no Ril, and no obvious sign of disturbance beyond what Gereth himself had caused.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:10 am

Muck took the remaining path, following the cave wall away from Elto and the villager, shaking his head at the old man as he launched himself into the water below. What could he possibly learn from the old broken tooth? The scars, while impressive, only made him think his gruff attitude was what earned them.

He cast his gaze along the walls, looking for higher tunnels and handholds that Ril might have gotten into. Had the water this out entirely, or was there something more to these caves? Uncertain, he edged forward along the wall, feeling his way into the darker portions of the cave, away from the torch and its light. It seemed that there was something catching the light further up, but he couldn't make it out. If Gereth wasn't relying on the light from the torch he'd have called the villager over himself.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:38 pm

--GM Response--

Muck lingered back near the opening to the tunnel, making sure there were no other caves or tunnels in the edge of the cliff face down which Ril could have disappeared. The tunnel itself was barely tall enough for the large man to stand up in at it's opening, but behind the opening it was taller. If he reached up, he would find that the "ceiling" was more than an arm's height above his head. The sides of the tunnel here were quite sheer with no usable handholds, however there was a small boulder half-blocking the entrance, upon which he might be able to stand if he wished to investigate the source of the glinting light he had seen.

Elto reached the side of the waterfall itself, poked around near it for a moment or two, then turned and walked back out and towards the direction of the river. Within fifty strides he reached the outer limits of the alcove and was hit full-force by a blast of the wind that whipped past unhindered on the open plains. The moon lent it's light to his eyes out here now he was a little bit away from the mist of the waterfall and away from the overhanging rocks around it. He could see several shallow areas in the stream that led from the pond, and headed towards it to investigate further.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:01 pm

S: 26 E: 1 Sp: 1* T: 26

Muck looked around a moment, grateful to be in less tight quarters as curiosity drove him to discover just what sparkled above. His attention was quickly drawn to the boulder at the entrance, which seemed to be the only way to get higher, possibly high enough to reach his goal. He noticed the boulder's position against the tunnel entrance offered a decent hand hold, so *with a stretch he grabbed on and hauled himself up onto the rock and stood atop it, pressing himself carefully against the mist dampened cave wall.

Careful to balance himself, Muck reached up into the dark towards the glinting object and felt his hand come against it. Good, there didn't seem to be any way to get any higher without finding a way to carve hand holds into the rock itself. He took his hand off his goal and turned around to face the villager with the torch, prepared to simply abandon Gereth to the darkness for a moment so he could see what he was doing while retrieving his prize. As he finished his turn and set his foot down, the boulder seemed to vanish beneath him as his foot gave beneath him on a slippery portion of the rock. Before he was sure what had happened, Muck felt the air rushing from his lungs as he landed flat on his back on the cave floor.

With a choking gasp as he struggled to suck in precious air to fill his lungs, he rasped loudly and stared angrily at the sparkling object, now like an eye above him, staring down and mocking his lack of caution.
Last edited by Mereneth on Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:30 am

seems the game is going on faster than I can catch up reading posts, let alone write an post. Hard to join events like that. :(

Current points: 28
-1 moving rope to the caves, help the others, search for Rin
+1 length of post
New Total: 28

Hitto had joined the group to search for Ril, but was kind of late cause he went back into the cave to grab one of his ropes. One of the sturdier ones, cause they might need to climb rocks and water softened the ropes if they were in it long enough. A thicker one could last longer. Carefully he stumbled his way through the tunnel towards the flickering light of the torches. He tripped once, but did not hurt himself cause he fell soft on the rope bundle. When he arrived, he asked "Hey, did you find here, any trace?"
After the answer, he shouts "RIL!" and his voice echoes through the tunnels. He took a good look around. He thought there would be more caves, not that the bad weather could kind of get in here. The cold winds made him shiver, cause he did not have his thick sleeping fur with him. He thought more people went to search for her, but then he spotted Etto walking down the river a few steps away. And he heared Gereth in the water. At first, he thought it was Ril who fell down, so he took a look into the pond, but he was relieved when he spotted Gereth who seemed to search for here in there.

Just in this moment Muck fell down. Hitto ran over to help him up and make sure he did not seriously hurt himself "Are you okay? You should not climb wet stones in half darkness, especially if they are smooth. Very slippery. I'm a good climber and don't do it if I can avoid it. What you wanted up there, doesn't look like Ril is there." Then his eyes cought the sparkling thing and he asked "what is that?", pointing at the object.

OOC:
► Show Spoiler
If Gereth asks for help to get out of the pond, Hitto will handle him the end of his rope, formed into a sling and pull.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:41 am

(OOC: There wasn't an event open to join though, Nerre. Jacon was the first player to have his character comment to Elto about Ril being missing, thus Elto tasked his character with the quest of going to search for her quietly before the villagers panicked, and choosing two others to go with him. Gereth chose to take Muck and an NPC with him, so the party of 4 was formed that way. It wasn't a case of being "too late" to join. Don't worry though, there will be many quests and we will make sure everyone gets to play in an equal share of them.)

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:47 am

Gereth emerged from the water like some pale fish and pulled himself out of the icy water. Taking a few deep breaths and shaking himself like a dog sending driplets of water splaying across Mucks face. It was than he noticed Muck laying on the ground grasping for breath. Raising a eyebrow he took a knee near Muck and give a thin chuckle.
" Boy it's not the time to be lying down and taking naps. We have a girl to find so get up and try to make yourself useful."
Gereth stood up his body slowly drying from the caves stale air. He gathered up his clothes but did not put them on for the moment. It was than he noticed the glittering object. Interested He tried to get a closer look but sadly his eyes failed him and after prodding the wall for a moment he know that he didn't possess the skill to climb it. He did however remember that a few members of the clan claimed to be good climbers. Perhaps in the morning he would snatch one and lead him here.
Meanwhile Ajax give Muck a big slippery lick with his tongue and panted over him.

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:17 pm

S: 26 E: 1 Sp: 2 T: 25

Muck could only roll his eyes at Gereth as he regained his breath and sat up. He wasn't about to let a simple fall keep him from his goal, much less let the old man's wit get to him. He had to admit, the quip was amusing, given his circumstances. It should have been obvious he'd need to be careful on rocks that had been dampened by the waterfall's mists.

*1He carefully climbed the boulder again, wary of the slick spots as he tested his footing with more care. Once perched on the boulder, he turned his head to the villager that had accompanied them and held out his hand for the torch.

*1"Give me the torch. It is too dark to see what I am doing up there."

The villager didn't offer any words in exchange, but simply shoved the torch into Muck's open hand. With a grin, Muck held the torch above him and stood up, pouring light onto the once hidden discovery.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:50 am

Current points: 28
-3 Cleaning the caves with some kids, making the floor save to walk even in the dark.
+1 length of post
+4 GM Update
New Total: 30

Hitto, who still had not chosen a cave, but had put his stuff just in a dry and kind of protected niche of the large room, got kind of bored after the lunch. He did not feel tired yet, but there was not much to do. So he started to collect all the loose stones from the ground and form a little wall-like barrier at the entrance, so less wind would come in. He left a large gap in the center, so people could easily enter, but the wind did not spray as much water into the cave as before. Like a little dam. To his surprise some of the children joined in, for whom it was a nice play of building something. Soon the first large cave was clean of rubble, only dust and dust-like dirt left. Hitto also used some of the stones to fill gaps which could easily catch and break a food and then covered the stones with dirt, stomping it hard so it would not give in. He children kept delivering stones and handfulls of dirt to him and smiled and laughed a lot.
When they were done, he promised them they would play the game again the next night, he then would have to make a fire in the second large cave, the one which only had twilight, even during the day, to get some light in there. The little dam at the edge of the half-open cave was not very high, about as high as his forearm. Although there was enough room between the stones of the little dam, less wind blew into the cave. He felt the effect, and especially the wind blowing close over the ground, which brought most of the water into the cave, was noticeably obstructed. Only the spray from the rain still was blown in from time to time, but that was not much and the heat of the fire dried most of it right away.
Last edited by Nerre on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:12 am

--GM Response--

As Muck climbed up again with a source of new light, the glittering object became revealed to him. A clear red rock, about the size of his fist, was wedged into a small hole in the tunnel wall, just in reach. The moonlight shone through it when the clouds parted, making the glittering twinkle he had seen at random intervals. In the light of the torch, it gleamed like the colour of blood. It was firmly stuck in the little hole, but he could likely prise it out with a blade.

Meanwhile, Elto has navigated the small stream to the other side of the alcove, and is checking the walls that side. Only about 20 minutes have passed since the group left the main cave.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: Cavemen: Survival of the Fittest (Starting Post Up!)

Post by GathersIngredients » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:05 am

Starting points: 28
Spending: 0 (just eating and listening)
Earning: 1 (full paragraph) + 6 (GM Update)
Final points: 35

Min did very well notice both that Ril was missing as well as that there was a small group - including Elto, whom she wanted to give some more suggestions for the clan's name - that left the big cave, but for several reasons, she was too distracted right now to investigate. There was her still rumbling tummy, the deliciously smelling food for the whole clan that still needed some attention now and then, and there were the news that Boe was telling her about the places he has been to.
(I'm just going to assume that Boe will tell her at least a little bit, even though Theis2 hasn't stated something like that yet.)

She graciously accepts any praise from the other clan members about the quality of the meal and points out humbly that she wasn't alone to thank for that, giving credit to all the helpers.

After Boe has picked which slab of meat he wants, Min nods and eagerly takes the other one, holding onto the branch with both hands, digging her teeth time and again deep into the scrumptious, juicy, nourishing food, which to her tasted even better, because of her hunger, as well as the hurried and secondary way any meal has occurred in during the long weeks of their flight, whereas of now, there had been time to cook things properly, no need to disguise their fire - if they were even allowed to build one for that particular night - and to relaxedly eat with the whole clan present, enjoying each other's company, chatting away. Well, what's left of us, anyways, Min admits, feeling a pang of grief over the loss of everyone and everything that they had to leave behind, causing her to quickly push the thought out of her mind again.
Even though she is enjoying the meat as much as she does, Min wolfs it all down rather quickly and wipes her mouth and chin with the back of her hand afterwards, sporting a very wide and immensely content grin. "Yum. That really hit the spot. I feel so much better now."

reposting point system for own convenience
► Show Spoiler
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:46 am

After dinner, which she had scoffed quickly and with little regard for manners, Yala returned to her thread-making. She had finished her work on the intestines, but wanted to make a start on the sinews. So, she sat quietly close to the fire for a little bit of warmth, but far enough back that she was out of the way of other people working. She stripped the fatty membrane away from each length of sinew and discarded it, then borrowed a warm rock from near the fire to pound the sinews on. She lay each sinew over the rock and bashed them firmly but carefully with a smaller stone, then scraped along the length of them with a flat shard of flint. Once they were each spread out a little further and their fibres were exposed, she twisted them in her hands and rolled them along the flat of her thigh, to form each one into a strong and thin string that would dry into a semi-flexible thread with which she could sew.

(Yala points 19, small action -1, post over a paragraph +1, new total 19)

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:27 pm

S: 25 E: 1 Sp: *1 T: 25

Muck stare at the gem for a moment in wonder and glee. Was this a bloodstone? He'd heard the shaman of his fathers tribe speak of them before, but such talismans, especially of such size, were not common to own.

Slowly, Muck moved his hand from the wall and grabbed hold of his knife, pulling it free as he eyed the stone for any where to pry his prize free. It was a good omen for a warrior to find such treasure, one he would have to get input from the shaman, Fengo, or... he could swear there was another spiritual type among the tribe, but the individuals name eluded him. He let the thought slip from his mind as he reached up and *set the tip of his blade into a small crevice in the gems hole and began to pry it loose.

It took a moment, but with effort the stone began to give, slowly exposing more or it's surface to torchlight and basking the wall with a bloody glow as the light filtered through it. He stowed his knife and took hold of the exposed gem with his hand; the action alone making him giddy with adrenaline before yanking it free, scattering bits of dirt and rock onto Gereth. Prize in hand, he slid down from the boulder to better inspect it without needing to focus on balance.

Jacon
Indulges in Conversation

Post by Jacon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:44 pm

Gereth dusted himself off of the dirt while Ajax leapt in the air at dirt clumps catching them and than spitting them out. " What is it?" Gereth asked

Mereneth
Voices Opinions

Post by Mereneth » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:39 am

"If it is what I think it to be, it is a bloodstone. A fine warrior's talisman!"

What a prize, while they might not have found Ril, the effort was not a total loss. With this, if he could display it somehow, he would have greater strength in battle and favor of the spirits of the fallen. But how to go about it? It was, somewhat ironically, too large to attach to his dagger's handle. Should he craft a new weapon, or perhaps some sort of armor to adorn it to? Each question only drove him to further seek the shaman when they returned to the tribe. He would be a wise choice to consult in its use.

He passed the torch back to the villager and began to wipe the bloodstone clean of grime and dirt, wishing to let its strength shine and make it more presentable in general.

Nerre
Game Master

Post by Nerre » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:59 am

Current points: 30
+- 0 talking and eating
+1 length of post
New Total: 31

Moving all those stones and filling the gaps was harder work than Hitto expected. His hands were dirty and sweat ran down his forehead, so he washed them in the rain and then shook them to try them. He also felt hungry again, maybe more hungry than he was when the evening meal was just ready to eat. He cut a piece of now nearly cold meat of the remains of the bear and then wandered around in the cave, taking a look around at what people were doing.
Still chewing he stopped a few steps behind Yala, and quietly watched her craft the sinews into thread. When he was finished eating, he stepped up and said "This reminds me of rope making, it is only much thinner. Mind if I sit down and watch how you do it a little bit? I am kind of exhausted from fixing the cave floor, but not tired yet. Is there something I can do to help?"

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:21 am

Yala looked up as Hitto approached. "Sure, you want to try one? It's not difficult, you can't really do it wrong. Especially since you already know how to do ropes." She held one of the shorter cleaned strips of sinew up to him. "I'm keeping these ones short for now, so you can practice on one of them. But I am going to squish some of the longest cords together at the ends. If you're careful then they dry together strongly, and you can get one really long thread." She showed him what she'd done with the spinal sinew, which was to bash the final quarter or so of the ends more firmly until they were fibrous and tacky, and then place the two ends together before she started the rolling process. "It gets shorter and thinner when it dries, you see? So it grips itself very tight. Like when we use wet sinew and sap to bind a spearhead into a notch in a shaft. It grabs tighter as it dries, the join becomes almost as strong as if the flint grew on the pole naturally." She shrugged, sure she hadn't explained it very well but unable to say much more. She chose to carry on working instead, and let him see what she meant.

Yala points: 19. No action cost. Post +1. New total 20.