Surviving Castle Heterodyne

Home to all current Forum Games.
BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:20 am

As the only lady in the group attempts to hand over the fork and spoon to the one known as Gabe, Sam quickly turns around from his work with wide eyes. "Oh fair lady, please allow me the use of your utensils that I may open this door more quickly" says Sam as he attempts to give a sweet look, which ends up looking more like a toothy smile. (If given) "Oh thank you dearly" he says and, using the new tools goes back at the lock (If not given) "Oh, i see, so the one who wants to work together doesn't want to work with the short fellow, as is my life" Sam sniffles a bit and then goes back to work on the lock.
Last edited by BadgeAddict on Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:30 am

"He is going to use it to make a proper lockpicking device for you, and I am still working on this tension bar, which you may have when I am done. I do not see the urgency here, it is not like we are leaving this place anytime soon. Have patience!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 am

► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:02 am

(I was hoping to improve it with further time invested, but if that's not possible I'll think of a different action)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:15 am

nikohl wrote:(I was hoping to improve it with further time invested, but if that's not possible I'll think of a different action)
I was basing it on Ursula doing the best job possible given the tools/supplies at hand, but I'm also rebalancing the CP for lockpicking to try to get us past this and onto something more interesting... ;)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:36 am

In that case, Ursula will give Sam the tension bar. She will take a few other cutlery items and stash them in her backpack for future repurposing, making sure there's enough left to eat with later.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:52 am

August, having no interest in pesky locks that keep changing how difficult they are to open, keeps studying his blades, getting a feel for their balance and heft.
► Show Spoiler
Bunn is still completely engrossed by Sam's clockwork legs. He is currently wearing them on his hands and walking around as if on all fours, observing how the various springs and clockwork bits mesh together to provide a smooth gait to each step. He's also still completely nude, so the rest of the group is doing their best to avoid looking directly at him.
► Show Spoiler
Hiero wanders into the kitchen, his Glowing Moss Toupee (blue) once again firmly affixed to his head. After rummaging through the pantry for a snack, he asks Castlina if there is anything she can do to help with the door.

"Sorry, Antenna Man, but the mechanism I'd use to open that door is on the other side, and has been disabled. The piston and gears of the arm that would normally allow me to open the door and trip the lock has seized up. Even if you are able to get it unlocked, you may have to muscle it open. But if you do, and are able to repair that arm, I'd be quite grateful, and could open the door for you as much as you want!" , the castle persona seems quite excited at the prospect of returning functionality to what is obviously something she views as a shortcoming.

Gabe, Ursula, Bunn, and Sam briefly debate the merits of building some suitably sparky device to vibrate the lock open, and while the Gabe works on figuring out what will be needed for that, Sam doggedly turns back to his lockpicking efforts with his bits of wire.

Ursula gives him one of the pieces she'd made previously to help him in his task, then loots the cabinet for:
  • 3 Butter Knives
  • 2 Forks
  • 2 Spoons
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
While Gabe gains some insight and can see that with proper application of these pieces he could make something more effective than the crude lockpicks alone, Sam has already made decent strides towards figuring out this particular lock.

.[tabs: Gabe (WearsHats) ]
ATT: 1
DEF:1
HP:10/10
Skills:
  • Propellers Lvl 1 (1d4 CP on related skill tasks)
Items: (bold indicates items that are currently equipped)
  • Prison Uniform - Embroidered with "No. 00374"
  • Steam-Powered Propeller Beanie - not currently functional
  • Ornate Walking Stick - tools and parts within hidden compartments
  • GabeÔÇÖs Clothes
[tabs: Bunn (LAYF)]
Skills:
  • Mechanical Potential Energy Lvl 1 (1d4 CP on related skill tasks)
  • A Backpack Bladder with Drinking Tube - currently empty
  • A Work Apron - to be worn around the waist, plenty of pockets for tools, and odds and ends
    • A Set of Wire Rings of Springs - assorted sizes, threaded onto circular rings
    • A Mutli-Screwdriver - 8 types/sizes
[tabs: Sam (BadgeAddict)]
Skills:
  • Clockworks Lvl 1 (1d4 CP on related skill tasks)
  • Prison Uniform - Embroidered with "No. 00376"
  • Clockwork Stilts - They make him taller!
  • Glasses with Magnifying Lens
  • Long Pair of Forceps
  • An Unmarked Bag
    • SamÔÇÖs Clothes
    • Small Pouch of Assorted Clockwork Parts
  • A Roll of Steel Wire - 0.3mm thick, 9.8m long
  • Crude Wire Lockpicks - +30 TM
  • Crude Lockpicks (Spoon) - +25 TM
[tabs: Ursula (nikohl)]
Skills:
  • Disassembly Lvl 1 (1d4 CP on related skill tasks)
  • UrsulaÔÇÖs Clothes
  • Makeshift Backpack - It'll work for carrying things for now...
    • Disassembly Kit - Screwdrivers, spanners, scissors, etc. Pretty much the basics to taking things apart
    • Instrument: Recorder
    • Notebook and Pen
    • Prison Uniform (Capris) - Embroidered with "No. 00377"
    • Iris the Ballerina Clank
  • 3 Butter Knives
  • 2 Forks
  • 2 Spoons
[tabs: August (Alaen)]
Skills:
  • Weaponcraft Lvl 1 (1d4 CP on related skill tasks)
  • Prison Uniform - Embroidered with "No. 00378"
  • AugustÔÇÖs Clothes
  • Long Coat - with lots of pockets!
    • A Small Wooden Box - contains tools and parts
    • A Pocket Watch
  • A Pair of Goggles - interchangeable lenses
  • Paring Knife - 7cm blade, in combat gives +1 ATT, with a 25% chance to give +0 ATT instead
  • Carving Knife - 30cm blade, in combat gives +1 ATT, with a 25% chance to give +2 ATT instead
[tabs: Hieronymus (nerre)]
Skills:
  • Capacitors Lvl 1 (1d4 CP on related skill tasks)
  • Prison Uniform - Embroidered with "No. 00379"
  • Subdermal Capacitors (Discharged) - six, located on chest, shoulders and upper arms
  • Charge Catchers - antennae-like, located on forehead
  • Electric Torch - located on forehead
  • Handy Electodes - located on each palm, seem to be connected to Subdermal Capacitors
  • Glowing Moss Toupee - itÔÇÖs blue!
[/tabs]
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:56 am

While waiting for the door to get picked August raises his voice:
"Miss Castlina if I may inquire, how far does your control over the castles facilities extend? And also, is there a forge in the workshop or nearby?

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:07 am

"Since you're so polite, of course you can ask!", she replies, pleased at his good manners. "Besides the sleeping chamber you've already seen, I maintain water flow in the waste disposal facility a few of your fellows found, this kitchen and the stove within it, and the workshop through this door. Beyond that, I have no control... and from what past inhabitants have said, it's not very nice outside of my area. Apparently there are other castle aspects that are not as fond of people as I am. For now, you will be safe, but if you choose to leave the workshop, I will no longer be able to help you. I think you will find the workshop well stocked in basic tools and facilities, including a forge. You might need to find supplies elsewhere, but if you do, and bring them back here, you should be able to find what you need. Or, if I don't have the right tool for the job, I'm sure one of you can make it." There might have been a bit of pride in her voice while describing the elusive workshop you've been promised...
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:18 am

I thought Ursula gave Sam the torsion bar, and that was supposed to lower the TM.

This pick gun is going to take longer than I thought. I need 18 CP, Sam needs 20. By the time I'm ready, odds are so will he. Hrm. Suggestions? I'm out of brain juice right now. If someone wants to help me with the assembly, maybe that could speed things up? Whatever. I've got nothing better to do and at least I'm learning something. I'll keep plugging at it. Maybe if I think of the trigger mechanism like a propeller actuator, I can remember how to do at least part of the job better...
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:26 am

Sam peeps up as "cas" is speaking and asks her something that has been running through his mind as he was picking the lock. "Lady of the castle, is there any way for us to expand your reach into other areas and.....bring them under your control. You sound as though you would be a much better and safer controller then...some of these other entities that you've spoken of. You have been so nice to us after all." As his words fall into the silence of space, he wonders to himself if maybe they're all just hallucinating instead of actually hearing voices. Perhaps the moss is messing with our brains.

While fiddling with the lock, Sam begins to wonder if perhaps the inside of the lock is similar to a clock. While the clock has gears and such, a lock as little levers that must be flicked into the correct position. As he works, he tries to imagine what the inside of the lock looks like based on the friction that he feels with the wires.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:48 am

► Show Spoiler
"Hmmm... yes, I think that might be possible! If you were able to separate a room from the castle persona controlling it, it may be possible to re-establish my connection to that room, and give me control of it. That would probably be best... if you connected me before severing them... we'd have to fight for control... I might be able to defeat them... or they'd eradicate me and I'd be subsumed if I'm not strong enough to resist. Probably not what any of us want, since then my current area would be subject to their whim."
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:02 am

"Mr. Gabe? If I may gain your attention just f├╝r eine tad bit? If you look at these brilliant contraptions that Mr. Griffin use to improve his posture at times. They are made so as to follow the movement of the user so as to make a fluid walk possible! May I be so bold as to suggest incorporating this functionality into your device? This way you may place operating handles out of the way of the key hole, so you may look into it as you work improving your likelihood of success?" Bunn Bunn says and tries to help Gabe.

*I know, the gun model does not work by sight at all, but it was just for fluff, and hay, this is SteamPunk after all :P
**It seems most people suspects this to be a modern (Wafer Tumbler) cylinder lock? I thought it was a Lever tumbler lock at best.... :S
-Best regards LAYF

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:38 am

Ursula, having given away the items she had made and looted the cutlery drawer, starts taking notes on what the others are doing in her notebook - including Sam's lockpickery, the conversation between the captives and Castlina, Bunn's discussion on the function of Sam's legs, and Gabe's attempts at fashioning a pick gun. She jots down the basic concepts of each thing, for future reference.

"Yes... hmm... indeed. I can't quite remember, but some of this does seem very familiar. You there, Gabe - sorry, I am terrible with names, I'll get it soon - can you do that last part again? With the spring?"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:34 pm

Gabe hands the modified fork and a small allen wrench over to Sam, in hopes the small man can use them to get the lock picked. With a plethora of tools at his disposal, Sam gets back to his efforts.
► Show Spoiler
When he gets things just right, the bolt clicks back! The door is a bit still stuck and might need to be muscled open, but at least is no longer locked!

(I'll post 6 turns worth of crafty type actions for the rest of the party tomorrow morning... For anyone who hasn't already posted a task, if you post something in particular by then, I'll use that, otherwise go based on pending tasks or past studies)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:24 pm

August will help open the door.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:59 am

A loud shrill squeal rips from Sam's throat as the click is audible enough for most of those gathered around to hear it. Having completed his task and feeling that he has learned a little more about locks, Sam steps back from the door in the hopes that some of the stronger ones of the group can muscle it open.

Sam turns to bunn who is still playing with his clockwork legs and offers to show him a bit of things about how they work while the others work on the door.

LAYF
Discussion Moderator
Discussion Moderator
Location: 5 degrees to the north of the first point on the last square!

Post by LAYF » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:19 am

"Oh yes das would be truly delightful information" Bunn Bunn says to sam clapping his hands...
-Best regards LAYF

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:05 am

I've lost track of who has introduced themselves and who hasn't. Shall we assume that happened during the lockpicking rounds?

Which direction does the door open? If it's not obvious, Gabe will ask the castle.

The sound of the lock opening snaps Gabe out of a mild state of shock induced by being mindwiped, manhandled, blindfolded, and thrown into the very deadly castle. It suddenly occurs to him that he's been locked in a room with a bunch of stranger sparks. The sort of people not known for mental stability. (Obviously, Gabe is the exception to that rule, as everything he's ever done has been perfectly rational. In fact, he's not even convinced that he is a spark. He just has a mechanical aptitude.) Some of these people seem okay. Helpful, even. But he now finds himself taking a very close look at the guy who has spent most of their time together obsessing over some large knives. He wants to ask about that, but isn't sure how to put the question.

"So, uh, you seem pretty comfortable with those knives. Were you, by any chance, a... chef?" he ventures hopefully.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:51 am

After handing the rest of the lockpicking stuff off to Sam, Gabe returns to working on getting his hat running again. Fortunately, the engine wasn't too badly damaged, and just requires a minor tuneup.
► Show Spoiler
Bunn , with his hands still inside Sam's legs, is waving them about and marveling at them to anyone who will listen. To which they listen politely, while doing their best to ignore his nudity.
► Show Spoiler
Ursula takes a step back from the chaos and starts observing her fellow sparks, watching their actions and listening to their conversations... both with each other and with themselves.
► Show Spoiler
August, wishing he had somewhere to sheath his blades to practice drawing them from, instead settles for further inspection of his new cutlery.
► Show Spoiler
Hiero, his moss perched jauntily on his head, stands behind Sam, munching on the bit of whatever it was he found and watches his progress on the lock.
► Show Spoiler
With a squeal of delight, Sam unlocks the door and steps back to let someone else be the one to force it open. He promises to show Bunn Bunn the more detailed workings of his clockwork legs... in return, Bunn Bunn could probably enlighten Sam a bit more about the function of the various springs and bits under tension within the legs. Bunn Bunn claps his and jumps up and down... :shock:

August and Gabe approach the door... from their cursory inspection, they can see that with the hinges on the far side, they will need to push the door in order to open it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:25 am

Gabe will attempt to push the door to see how much force might be required. If the door doesn't open, he will attempt to use his (reassembled) cane as a lever (being careful not to break anything). If that fails he will begin searching for parts for a steam-powered door kicker. He will ask Sam about using one of his legs for the project and see if anyone wants to collaborate.

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:56 am

While he had all kinds of ideas of what he might build to force to door open, Gabe decides to try the straight forward approach first. He plants his feet, puts his shoulder into the door and heaves! With a tortured squeal of metal, the door gives way, slamming back against the wall and he stumbles into the workshop, panting slightly.

Gabe has just discovered a special ability: Feat of Strength!
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:09 am

Ursula will hurry through the door to the workshop with glee, looking for New Stuff!

"Oh, good show gentlemen, very well done indeed!"

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:22 am

Within the workshop, you see a series of workbenches along the walls, four supporting columns surrounding a central forge area, and in the far corner can barely make out through the gloomy shadows, some sort of doorway. This area seems to be lacking the abundance of glowing moss, although what there is seems to be clustered near the workbenches, and is slowly starting to become more noticeable in response to your movement and presence.
► Show Spoiler
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:36 am

Ursula will stride confidently towards the workbenches, secure in the knowledge that the moss will respond to her arrival and help light up what's there. She will start rummaging around to see what is there, claiming bits and pieces that might be useful for expanding the toolkit she carries with her, and taking note of other things that are not immediately handy, or are too large to carry in a backpack, and so on. "Ah, look, everyone! Supplies, meager though they may be. And it's damned dark in here... I wonder if that moss is transplantable, perhaps it will regrow in new areas given the correct substrate...but maybe it's too hot for it with the forge lit?" She continues to talk to herself as she explores the workshop.