Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Home to all current Forum Games.
spiderwrangler
Game Master

Re: Surviving Castle Heterodyne - OOC Discussion Thread

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:43 am

There's also a door with an X on it out in the hallway... o:)
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:09 pm

So now that you've had a chance to get to know both August and Kasimir a bit, I wanted to get some feedback on what kind of impression they made on you guys and whether I differentiated them from each other enough, to see if I conveyed my character concepts well so far.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Sam likes Kas better.....just saying

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:56 am

I'll be updating later today, but tomorrow and Saturday I'll be vending with the wife at a food truck fest downtown. Load in at 9am, load out at 11pm. So after today, Sunday will likely be the earliest you could expect an update.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:00 am

Hey all... I'm in the midst of a bunch of school stuff at the moment, classes started this week and I'm attempting to tear down and build up a lab manual for the course I'm teaching labs for, as well as my own research scoring, analyzing and writing... which means I have taken small things (like Sam waiting on permission that hasn't come) to push off updating rather than going ahead with it (and saying that Sam bats his eyes at August for 15 minutes while being roundly ignored...) and writing a post. Things have kind of been in bursts of lots of rounds up updates, then nothing from me for a week, and I don't want to do that to you guys. I know you will all say that real life comes first, etc., etc., and while that's true, I enjoy this little game we have going, and don't want it to fall out of our collective consciousness if I'm backburnering it on a sporadic schedule.

I'm considering planning on having certain days of the week be DEFINITE update days (2 per week??), with days in between where I will update if I have actions for you all and the time to write it up. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:34 pm

Well, didn't hear back from anyone one way or another, but I'm going to go ahead and shoot for Sunday/Thursday as definite days. However, if I have actions between, I'll post as able. Cheers!
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:55 pm

Sorry. Thought I had posted.

I'm fine with sporadic. It is, after all, a leisure time activity. If you want to set regular update days, that's also fine. If you're sure that you can do so without undue stress. But, if a week gets crazy, you can always just tell us that and I'm sure we'll understand.

I should, perhaps, note that a friend of mine will be flying in from overseas to spend the middle of September with me. I'll be focused on touring her around, so I may not be checking in as often. (Also, in order to be awake during the daytime for her, I'm going to be inverting my sleep/wake schedule a week earlier than would be natural, so I may be more tired than usual.)
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:22 am

@Wears - Hope your sleeping schedule readjustment goes smoothly, you've given me a list of actions for Gabe, and Sam looks to be wanting to recruit him to help with things as well, so in the event that I'm ready to update and you're busy, I can always revert to that.

@Everyone - you may have noticed that I sometimes haven't been posting rolls, but putting "---" instead. You may have realized that this is a shortcut when you are guaranteed to finish that turn, since it doesn't matter if you go over, if you are rolling 2d5 and are only 2 CP away, I'm saving myself the 10 seconds it would take to roll those numbers. Just thought I should mention it.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:53 am

Sorry, I started a new job today so have been a bit distracted - am checking in but hadn't been really reading/posting in non-IC capacities. I'm fine with a slower update schedule; I've seen far too many games (including my own) suffer from GM Burnout and/or Player Burnout and/or updates gradually fading away, so I'd rather you went at a pace you found manageable and enjoyable.

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:24 pm

Sorry for not responding, I lost internet for a few days.

I appreciate a set schedule and twice per week is fine by me. Just don't do it if you're not comfortable with it, like nikohl said burnout is a serious concern.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:17 am

I are back now...yay

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:52 am

New game resource for you all... SCH Beasties.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:06 pm

Going to be spending the day driving. Will be available tomorrow night. But then I'll spend the next day (night, whatever) diving back. And then I have 4 days to invert my sleep schedule from nocturnal to diurnal. And then I'll spend the next week and a half taking a friend from overseas on a tour of NYC, NJ, and possibly Philly. I'll check in when I can, but don't let me hold things up too much. And I won't be around to RP the lantern making.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:58 am

Three Special abilities discovered, three to go... Sam's is the most passive of the lot, I'm not sure how I feel about it. I think it's useful, but doesn't really give BA a chance to decide when he wants to apply it like Gabe and Ursula are. (Sal, August and Hiero have more active abilities too... once they are 'unlocked'). Thoughts, BA? Others?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 am

mm, I mean, i really like it...do we only get 1 ability?

we once spoke of what would happen if we started over, and at this point...well, i wouldn't want to start over, I love where this is going/has gone.

That being said...although we are slowly leveling up "our skills" perhaps there is a way to "level up" our characters as well, allowing us to have more "special abilities"...

Sure, I can't activate it,...but in a way, Nikohl is unable to truly activate her ability too, in that it happens when there is music, which, in this case, she can somewhat control.

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:31 am

True. As long as you like it, we're good. I tried as best I could to come up with something that would tie into backstory... Sam's stayed mostly the same, with the addition of his sewer upbringing, initially it was based on him getting overlooked and ignored by taller sparks, and incorporated his clockwork legs into the ability. With him being a sewer baby, the leg requirement didn't make sense (and you haven't used them since first arriving), so I scrapped that.

I don't have any plans on hitting the reset button... we're just getting to the point that you are skilled enough (after 3 days in the hole) to accomplish things in a timely manner.

I have some plans on leveling characters as well, but haven't thought in the sense of particular abilities yet. Also some skills disciplines that are more applicable to actions than tasks will serve to 'level' your characters, usually through modification of base probabilities. For example, combat skills, stealth, thieving, etc. will likely have some % component in addition to their role in determining dice rolled on attempts. Other events may also serve to increase character base stats.

True, Nikohl has to indirectly activate/deactivate hers, but the choice is almost always going to be 'yes, do it', which is why I stopped making her give me 'wind up Iris' actions.
I honestly thought that Ursula's was going to be the last one unlocked, but Sam and Gabe started singing... :lol:

Possible spoiler: Right now, I predict that Sal will be the last one to unlock his, but August will only be right before him. Hiero will probably be next.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:49 am

Not trying to kill people off without their input...but...isn't both nerre and newonearound both gone...

I mean, Nerre hasn't been on since...months ago...and NewOne although he was last oneline on Sep. 1, has been....gone...

i wish we could get some new blood in the game...though, i guess not everyone is into RP'ing games, much less steampunkery...
and of course, there is the time involved in playing...

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:57 am

Nerre has communicated with me through PM on what he wants Hiero to work on, NOA had posted in the thread about being more active after summer is over.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:36 am

I'm still dragging. This summer has been absolutely insane, totally outside the norm for my life. I'm still knocked out from the trip (and trying to shift my schedule). I'll be mostly AFK for the next couple of weeks. Have a friend flying in from overseas to stay with us and tour around. After she leaves, I'll have a few days before the Jewish New Year. Immediately after that, I fly out to spend 2 weeks with Thunt. Things should probably hopefully settle back to "normal" after I get back from that. Today, though, I've barely gotten off the couch.

► Show Spoiler

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:45 am

I didn't mention you wears as you've been around more than enough to count as "semi-active" in my book....which is funny, because i don't have a book

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:41 am

WearsHats wrote:I'll have a few days before the Jewish New Year.
I read that as Newish Jew Year and spent a while cackling to myself. So immature.

I too wish that we had a few more players knocking about, although Sam is definitely a solo character so that won't make too much difference to him. When I feel a bit better (hopefully soon) and am back into a routine, I'll try and post more :s

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:54 am

I'll admit, Sam is somewhat of a solo character, on the other hand, none of you have really given him reason to trust them. I mean, August has been nothing but an ass to him. Refusing to allow him to explore on his own and rightly being kicked in the nuts. That, was how August made an enemy with him. Gabe has been nothing but nice to Sam, and he respects that, and thinks of Gabe as his ~friend~ (~ meaning...ish) Ursula has had little interaction with him but he has no reason to outright hate her. Hiero took the low road that August took and then some...(bed..bath...and beyond) and thus Sam loves to hate heiro, and will probably stab him in the back if they are ever left alone together. I don't remember if Sal has had much interaction with him.

As for Alaen explaining why he hates Sam being that he won't accept leadership.....i have a few things to say about that... 1. Why would any Spark allow themselves to be led by another spark, this typically causes conflict. 2. I have a problem with leadership, (in my RL dnd group, I prefer our group to play as a team, but, every now and then one of them will get a big head and go for "im big man leader guy", and i always hate it when it happens, because it always turns the game into a pile of poop, to the point where i've started threatening (in game) team members that I will kill them with my powers (psion) if they cross me.

In short, I would be more than happy to work in a group, however, you just gotta be able to roll with my quirks, is that so bad to ask? I think I'm still the only one of us who has come up with a backstory that explains how he got to where he was.

edit: I want to play with you, its just that none of you are really playing with me....at least charlie is my friend....and, hmm..i actually wonder what Cas thinks of me..

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:49 am

nikohl wrote:I too wish that we had a few more players knocking about, although Sam is definitely a solo character so that won't make too much difference to him. When I feel a bit better (hopefully soon) and am back into a routine, I'll try and post more :s

No worries, you 4 are doing fine by me, I wish that Nerre and NOA were able to be more active, but they at least let me know that they wouldn't, and I believe that should be able to change for NOA soon, not sure on Nerre.

I'd be open to the idea of bringing in some fresh blood, one of the nice things about this setting is that someone can get dumped down the chute at any time.

I leave it to you guys though, if the majority of current players are interested in bringing someone else into the game, I can explore that possibility.
BadgeAddict wrote:edit: I want to play with you, its just that none of you are really playing with me....at least charlie is my friend....and, hmm..i actually wonder what Cas thinks of me..
She considers Sam useful, he repaired the lock and arm on the kitchen door, and has expressed strong interest in connecting her to other rooms and expanding her control.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Alaen
Converses Frequently

Post by Alaen » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:53 am

@Badge
I will elaborate on this a bit more once I'm at a computer(don't want to type that much on a phone), but I will address some of your points quickly.

First concerning the leadership thing, that is partly poor choice of words from me, and partly Augusts characterization. Most everything I write in the main thread is from Augusts perspective, and his views differ from my own. I'll try to elaborate on this later. Though for the record, I personally don't mind Sam too much, though I find him annoying.

Secondly, you complain that no one wants to work with you, yet you have given us no reason to do so. So far Sam has done what he wants anyway, disregarding input from the others. He also has been mostly rude and antagonistic, which doesn't really convince any of our characters to help him.

@spider
I have no problem with new players. If anyone really wants to join I certainly won't say no.

BadgeAddict
Saves-A-Hyena

Post by BadgeAddict » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:46 pm

Actually...using the rat room, we could set the room up with chains and pulleys and such for a sort of Heavy duty workshop for Larger objects/clanks (here is hoping the moss grows well there, and we can get Cas hooked into the network)