Jessica Jones

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Guus
Floods your Ears

Jessica Jones

Post by Guus » Tue May 24, 2016 12:57 pm

I'm not sure if it belongs here, but it also doesn't belong anywhere else, so I guess it does.

Has anyone seen the Netflix/Marvel show Jessica Jones? I've been watching it lately and it's right up my ally: no one is really a good guy, everyone is dealing with life and situations in their own way that are not perfect but seem logical (if a bit unwise) to me, and I really feel they fleshed out the characters in a way that seriously impressed me.

If you haven't watched it: go watch it, it's good! A lot better than Daredevil (especially compared to second season Daredevil) and I thought that show was good!
If you have watched it: what are your thoughts? I'm almost through season 1, so I don't know how the story will develop and if it'll stay as good as I think it is, but what is your general opinion? Without to many direct spoilers please ;)
I feel smart, but I'm pretty sure I'm an idiot.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Re: Jessica Jones

Post by RocketScientist » Tue May 24, 2016 1:31 pm

I'm not even as far as you are, so you'll get no spoilers from me. I think I'm on episode 5. I like it. I have a nerd crush on David Tennant, which is disturbing while watching this show. Really liked the guy playing Luke Cage. Is he still getting (or has he already gotten) his own show?

I think so far it's been really authentic in the way it treats a psychologically abusive relationship. Which is good, but not as good if you've been in one. It was really triggering for a friend of mine, and she can't finish watching it. She's also a Tennant fan/Whovian, which may be some of the problem there, too. He's fantastic and believable in the part. Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting around to watching the rest of the episodes. I am way far behind on a bunch of shows right now though. (Grimm, SHIELD, Supernatural, Face Off, Castle -- missed the whole season of a couple of those.)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue May 24, 2016 1:39 pm

I powered through the whole thing shortly after it came out. I won't spoil.

It's good. It's difficult. It doesn't pull any punches.

Also, having "realistic middle aged lesbians" as characters whose sole purpose for being in the show isn't "are lesbians" is pretty nice.

And while it has no bearing on anything else, Carrie-Anne Moss is gorgeous.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Tue May 24, 2016 8:32 pm

I was very disappointed with the conclusion.

I prefer Daredevil, I really enjoy fight scenes and action more, rather than detective noir / pychological thriller that JJ is. Jessica Jones isn't really known for her fighting prowess like Daredevil is :)

(I quite liked the Daredevil second season, although I loved Punisher and hated Elektra.)
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Wed May 25, 2016 5:10 am

I can really understand it being very triggering. It's honestly part of why I like it so much, the powers might be fantasy, but they deal with it in a very realistic manner. I can understand how people going through an abusive relationship wouldn't want to watch this show though, and I certainly wouldn't advice someone that has been in an abusive relationship to watch it, or at least give them a clear warning.
► Show Spoiler
Also: there were a lot of things that were handled but not talked about, brushed over even. This can be seen as a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. The relationship in the Walker family comes to mind. The tone is clear, but some remarks remain a mystery why they have been said and leave you thinking about what happened, how and why. For me this adds a lot to the story: I don't want to have my hand held for me where everything is explained in great detail. Especially in a noir type setting.

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed May 25, 2016 2:55 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Wed May 25, 2016 4:23 pm

► Show Spoiler

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Wed May 25, 2016 5:10 pm

► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Guus
Floods your Ears

Post by Guus » Thu May 26, 2016 3:22 am

► Show Spoiler

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Thu May 26, 2016 7:35 am

► Show Spoiler