Doctor Who!

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Doctor Who!

Post by SamWiser » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:15 pm

The thread to talk about all things Doctor Who related. Theories, questions, comments, anything.

I'll start out with a question of my own. In the most recent episode the TARDIS looks different. I don't remember it changing at all, it just looks different. They made a big deal about the last time the TARDIS changed it's look, so I figured it would stay the same for a while. Was there any explanation, and I missed it? Or did they change it and hoped we wouldn't notice?
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Re: Doctor Who!

Post by TinSoldier » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:22 pm

I'm not caught up yet -- I just finished watching Series 3. :oops:

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:24 pm

Wow, you are way behind. They are about halfway through the seventh season. A lot of good episodes are coming in the 4th though, if I remember correctly.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:42 pm

SamWiser wrote:Wow, you are way behind. They are about halfway through the seventh season. A lot of good episodes are coming in the 4th though, if I remember correctly.
I know I'm behind, but I only started watching it about a year ago or so. I don't have BBC so I don't get to watch newer episodes.

However, I did see some good episodes. I finally got to see the Weeping Angels that I had heard so much about.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:43 pm

Yeah, that was a good one. Creepy, but good. Who was the companion in season three? I can't remember.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:47 pm

SamWiser wrote:Yeah, that was a good one. Creepy, but good. Who was the companion in season three? I can't remember.
Martha Jones started and ended Season 3. I liked her, but not as much as Rose. What's cool, though, is that they were different.

Heh -- in the episode with The Master, after The Doctor got the life sucked out of him, I was thinking "Dobby Who" and that if we would just give him a sock he would be a Free Time Lord!

But really, the season 3 finale was pretty awesome.

I have seen the latest Christmas special with Clara and with Matt Smith as The Doctor, but I prefer to catch up.

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:52 pm

SamWiser wrote:In the most recent episode the TARDIS looks different.
Which recent episode? The new series just started on BBCA, so that's a tad ambiguous from my perspective. :)

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:28 pm

DrinksTooMuchCoffee wrote:
SamWiser wrote:In the most recent episode the TARDIS looks different.
Which recent episode? The new series just started on BBCA, so that's a tad ambiguous from my perspective. :)
Sorry, I meant the new series. The Wi-Fi episode.

I really liked the next companion that you should meet. She was my favorite.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

DrinksTooMuchCoffee
Indulges in Conversation

Post by DrinksTooMuchCoffee » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:40 pm

I figured they just changed it for the start of the series, and with no companion the Doctor wouldn't be explaining the change to himself for the audience's benefit. That is to say I don't remember any mention of the TARDIS changing in the Wi-Fi episode.

And someone on set surely must have put a "Snog Box" sign on the TARDIS at some point. :)

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:47 pm

I've only gotten to the part where David Tennant turns into Matt Smith. It depressed me. Been thinking about trying to watch Matt Smith, but my daughter just caught up to me and now she's depressed about David turning into Matt. lol.

I loved Martha. She was my favorite.

Wolfie
She Who Admins
She Who Admins
UStream Username: Wolfie213

Post by Wolfie » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:22 pm

I liked Martha, but I had a soft spot for Donna. She reminds me of a few people I know : loud mouthed with a big heart. :D
"This is my therapy dragon, she's for my panic attacks. I attack, everyone panics." (Quote found on http://outofcontextdnd.tumblr.com/)

"If I have a +2 strength sword and I stab you, you won't get a +2 strength, you get wounds" ~Sir Butcher

"How few there are who have courage enough to own their faults, or resolution enough to mend them." ~Benjamin Franklin

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:30 pm

My favourite companios are by far Donna and Rory. I love them.

I had a love/hate thing with both Rose and Martha. Rose I found annoying and then grew to love... and Martha? I wanted to like Martha SO MUCH... but once she was with the Doctor she just started to get more and more on my nerves. She redeemed herself later on to me... but it puts her as my least-favourite New-Who companion!

Thinking about Donna always makes me really sad. I miss Donna!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Donna and Rory would be my favorites as well. I kinda liked Rose, but it seemed like she became a horrible person every time she was away from the doctor. I did like Mickey though.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

BeanDip
Resident of Sacred Statue Garden

Post by BeanDip » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:51 pm

Loved Donna. She seemed to be the only true non-romantic companion the Doctor's ever had. More like brother and sister them and she wasn't afraid to tell him off. I loved that. Donna forever. Didn't really like or hate Rose and Martha was good if somewhat short-lived.

And of course any episode with Captain Harkness. Wowsa!

I like Tennant/Ten but have a special place in my heart for Matt Smith/Eleven but Eleven was my first Doctor and you never forget your first Doctor. Still though, no love for Eccleston/Nine? I sort of liked his mix of silly/sarcastic/cynical.
NOTE TO ALL THOSE I AM GAMING WITH: Currently gaming with others in the Sacred Statue Garden.

Signature changed by request of MrsBeanDip by Wolfie

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:41 pm

Eccleston is my favorite doctor. He also was in my favorite episode(s). The Doctor Dances, the one with the gas mask zombies would have to be my favorite episodes so far. I think that Eccleston was able to give a lot of emotion to the doctor that Tennant and Smith would miss. At the beginning of the new series he was recently out of the time war. Eccleston made that believable.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Christopher Eccleston is my favorite Doctor, and Rose is (so far) my favorite companion.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:47 pm

I liked Eccleston. He was my third doctor, though. First was... um... crap, I forgot his name... #8 from that 90s movie, Paul somebody, maybe? The guy they picked instead of Tony Head. :x Then by the time I got around to watching the show they were already on Tennant. But I went back and watched Eccleston, and I thought he was good. I liked him on Heroes, too. I was all "hey, it's Nine!" :lol:

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:08 am

My favourites are Tennant, Troughton, Tom Baker, and Matt Smith.

I like Eccleston's Doctor, but I started with Tennant and had already heard how Eccleston's really moved away from all things Doctor Who. It somewhat tainted my feelings towards him I suppose!
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:52 pm

Did anybody else see this?

http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2013/04 ... -part.html

I remember the name of my first Doctor now. Still would have rather had Tony Head, but this guy was ok. :) Eccleston needs to suck it up and show up for this anniversary thing, btw. You're an actor dude. Built-in fan base is your holy grail.

mnementh
Former Mod

Post by mnementh » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:43 pm

I'm a bit behind; need to do the Hulu/Netflix thing & catch up.

Still Whoovian; just... in exile due to an overabundAnce of REAL LIFE.

mnem
No, you may not take my reservation at the hot tub...

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:55 pm

OMG! I'm watching "The Empty Child" and "The Doctor Dances" again. I had forgotten the references to "Volcano Day" and "Do what you've got to do."

I recently watched the episode "The Fires of Pompeii" where Donna and The Doctor often reference "Volcano Day" and the awful choice which must be made.

Wow. I wonder how much that was planned in advance or just referred back to or what.

Oh -- and one of the best Doctor Who moments ever: "Everybody lives, Rose! Just this once, everybody lives!"

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:00 pm

That was actually my one problem with the episode. All I kept thinking was that they were in the middle of WWII. The people in London may have lived, but all of the soldiers in the rest of the world still died. Or maybe they didn't. I don't know the range of those things.

ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:07 pm

SamWiser wrote:That was actually my one problem with the episode. All I kept thinking was that they were in the middle of WWII. The people in London may have lived, but all of the soldiers in the rest of the world still died. Or maybe they didn't. I don't know the range of those things.
Well, yeah, but everybody dies sometimes.

But in the specific problem The Doctor was trying to solve, everybody lived. With regards to the nanogenes anyway.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Watched "Silence in the Library" and "Forest of the Dead" today.

My Gods, what feels! Arghhh! I seriously needed a break after that, but they are now two of my favorites.

friedkitty
Voices Opinions

Post by friedkitty » Wed May 08, 2013 11:20 am

TinSoldier wrote:
SamWiser wrote:Wow, you are way behind. They are about halfway through the seventh season. A lot of good episodes are coming in the 4th though, if I remember correctly.
I know I'm behind, but I only started watching it about a year ago or so. I don't have BBC so I don't get to watch newer episodes.

However, I did see some good episodes. I finally got to see the Weeping Angels that I had heard so much about.
http://www.couchtuner.eu/watch-doctor-who-online/

As far as the original 8 doctors, your guess is as good as mine. I Have them all on DVD from, shall we say, a less than legitimate source that a friend of mine acquired. So I have seen every episode at least once, and am currently rewatching from the beginning. I am Just starting on the "Celestial Toymaker", and figure at the rate I'm going, I should be done sometime in 2016.