Emoticons

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Re: Emoticons

Post by Zathyr » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:01 pm

TinSoldier wrote:Edit:I didn't see this one in your repertoire. I didn't make it, but for some reason I had it in my photobucket. Image
hee hee Image :oops: :winkwink:

I have another idea for an evil laugh, but a few more things on my plate to clear first. Image is a quick and easy conversion though. And I've at this point streamlined my photobucket uploading/link-getting process. ;) (Mostly that just means leaving the album open in an adjacent tab..)
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often
UStream Username: TinSoldier6

Post by TinSoldier » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:23 pm

Zathyr wrote:I have another idea for an evil laugh, but a few more things on my plate to clear first. Image is a quick and easy conversion though. And I've at this point streamlined my photobucket uploading/link-getting process. ;) (Mostly that just means leaving the album open in an adjacent tab..)
Cool. I have a second stab which looks a bit more evil, I think:

Here's another try: Image

What do you think?

Compare:
ImageImage

It's hard to make it look evil and laughing and not just bitey.

Edit: I notice I didn't get the horns quite right. It's because I optimized and then realized that optimization messed it up, so I had to manually go back.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose
UStream Username: See_a_Moose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:48 am

I would try setting the upper part of the mouth as fixed and make the lower part move, that should eliminate the biting problem. although I think Image could become :nom:
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.
You can reach me at AdminMoose@goblinsforum.com or at BotWalter@gmail.com

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:04 am

Not evil enough! And yea, looks more nommy XD

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:45 am

SamWiser wrote:Are you taking requests? Because if you are then I request a celebratory one. Something like a goblins throwing confetti in the air. We don't have anything that fits a celebratory occasion. :woot: could work, but not exactley.
How's this? Image Although it looks like he's saying "Wahoo!"
SeeAMoose wrote:I would try setting the upper part of the mouth as fixed and make the lower part move, that should eliminate the biting problem. although I think could become :nom:
Arch Lich Burns wrote:Not evil enough! And yea, looks more nommy XD
Okay, I'll work on it.

This forum needs multiquote. I know it's an option.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 pm

That's weird -- I thought that I had edited the previous post.

Here is another evil laugh: Image

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 pm

TinSoldier wrote:That's weird -- I thought that I had edited the previous post.

Here is another evil laugh: Image
That's closer to what I had in mind. Couple of quick notes: I think that any delay less than 100ms just gets bumped up to 100ms in an animated gif. I generally work in multiples of 100, and occasionally multiples of 50.

Also looks like you lost a little off the top. In GIMP if you want more room to work with: Image -> Canvas Size -> add what you need; press the chin link because you probably don't need to keep the aspect ratio. It adds to the bottom by default so if you want to add room at the top offset it by however much you added. Then once you do that, to actually use the extra space in the layers, Layer -> Layer to Image Size for each layer you need it. If there's an easy way to do that across all layers, I don't know it.

I'm tinkering with my version of the evil laugh right now. Also on the list: applause, celebratory, animated :bonk: - I should have time today.

askstoomuch
Fumbles More Than Fumbles

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:03 pm

If you Guys are Taking request a classy emotion would be Nice
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2020 - Come have a drink

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Classy, on the list.

evil laugh, Zathyr edition: Image

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:13 pm

Perfect, adding some of the new ones now. I think we also need versions of each of the characters from the comic... and Peanut, we've gotta have Peanut. Image
I am one of the forum admins and chat moderators. Drop any of us a line if you ever need a hand in either the forum or the chat.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Zathyr wrote:Classy, on the list.

I love it!
Zathyr wrote:That's closer to what I had in mind. Couple of quick notes: I think that any delay less than 100ms just gets bumped up to 100ms in an animated gif. I generally work in multiples of 100, and occasionally multiples of 50.
Okay, I'll keep that in mind.
Zathyr wrote:Also looks like you lost a little off the top. In GIMP if you want more room to work with: Image -> Canvas Size -> add what you need; press the chin link because you probably don't need to keep the aspect ratio. It adds to the bottom by default so if you want to add room at the top offset it by however much you added. Then once you do that, to actually use the extra space in the layers, Layer -> Layer to Image Size for each layer you need it. If there's an easy way to do that across all layers, I don't know it.
Oh, I know I can resize the canvas. I was trying to go for the rolling back by just moving the pixels up without resizing anything.

The main thing is that I'm not used to working with animations at all, and that I am used to working with much larger images.

Is there a way you can perform one operation (paste/erase/etc.) across multiple layers? Because that would be nice. Or copy, cut, or paste several entire layers at once? Because that would be nice. *goes in search of more Gimp documentation*

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:50 pm

Zathyr wrote:Classy, on the list.

Mauauahh! :pirate: ...what? I am on phone so it is hard to copy paste.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:54 pm

:o_O: :evillaugh: :) ;) :-D :lol: :( :'( :oops: :-? :-| :indeed: :eek: :-P :roll: >:-P >:-? :frustrated: :x >:( >:-D :paranoia: :zzz: :halo: 8) :fume: :cheer: :shrug: :sulk: :thumbsup: :ktongue: :stab: :confetti: :grumble: :Eyebrows: :weep: :laugh: :puke: :shudder: :rofl: :rant: :chuckle: :wevil: :wgrin: :wfrown: :winkwink: :halofall: :gonk: :Dance: :sword: :grin: :schwing: :freaky: :diehappy: :puppy: :tongue: :glare: :evileye: :pirate: :shifty: :sleep: :praise: :bonk: :woot :fsword: :bomb: :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow:

DO ALL THE SMILIES!

I think Mr. :shudder: is very appropriately placed.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:58 pm

Moosie...emote spam is...ah nevermind. You will find out.

Also those "normal" emotes are out of place...can you make goblin versions of those? Question mark and explaination mark can be goblins holding up signs

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:13 pm

with the rate this is going soon we will have a smiley for every emotion know to man :)

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:25 pm

There's actually a reason for that post Burns, I want a post that shows everything available for those who haven't figured out that there are more available. Also to show what has already been added so that people will know what has and hasn't been added without going to the link.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:42 pm

TinSoldier wrote:Is there a way you can perform one operation (paste/erase/etc.) across multiple layers? Because that would be nice. Or copy, cut, or paste several entire layers at once? Because that would be nice. *goes in search of more Gimp documentation*
If there is, I don't know it. But rather than doing the same work multiple times, if I'm basically repeating frames, I do what I want on one frame and then duplicate the layer(s) from the layer window. And it's easy enough to just move them around. Sometimes you just have to keep it in your head what you want where until everything is finished then go back and edit the layer names once everything is in place. Like in my evil laugh there's 16 frames, 9 of which are untouched duplicated frames.

Also, classy goblin is classy. Image

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:45 pm

SeeAMoose wrote:There's actually a reason for that post Burns, I want a post that shows everything available for those who haven't figured out that there are more available. Also to show what has already been added so that people will know what has and hasn't been added without going to the link.
Okay....Because I totally was not planning on something else. :paranoia: With making faces using emotes. :paranoia: Cause I can.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:52 pm

Arch Lich Burns wrote:Moosie...emote spam is...ah nevermind. You will find out.

Also those "normal" emotes are out of place...can you make goblin versions of those? Question mark and explaination mark can be goblins holding up signs
I never got the point of those emoticons. Does anyone ever use them? Well, the idea/lightbulb one I can see. I think we had a goblin version of that on the old Snotling boards. I guess it wasn't saved. Neither was that giant jaw-dropping one. I could probably do that too. Oooh, and I just got more ideas. Dangit.

Oh and upon thinking on it, "Silly Smiley Smithy" would be an acceptable title. :)

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 pm

I was thinking of goblin-ifying the light bulb one. I was also thinking of adding a speech bubble or sign to the "WTF-blink" one. And also start thinking about making some character ones.

I'd forgotten that PhoenixTalion had made some from the old Snotling board. I was trying to remember the name of AngelsHelper who made some too if I remember correctly.

This place feels more like home than the Keenspot or whatever other forums.

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:51 pm

AngelsHelper! That sounds right. Yeah I think she made the swords we have.

Also disregard what I said about 100ms being the minimum. I just tested it myself and found it to be false. It's not a bad rule of thumb though.

But the speed of a clap really affects the emotion behind it. Observe: Image vs. Image
Last edited by Zathyr on Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SeeAMoose
Admin Moose on the Loose
Admin Moose on the Loose

Post by SeeAMoose » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:59 pm

:mrgreen: or :greenie: ? I would shift the hands down for the clapping one so that you can see more of the face and get some emotion from the face.

askstoomuch

Post by askstoomuch » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:01 pm

the one on the right
on both post above me

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles

Post by Zathyr » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:45 pm

I'd go with the left, bluer one myself. It's truer to the old smiley. But then I'd be more inclined to use :grin: over either. :P

And yeah I can move the hands down in the clapping one, but then the difference in speed doesn't show the emotion difference nearly as much as the face does. But that was just to illustrate the point, so: Image vs. Image I know the hands still hide the face a bit, but I don't really like them any further down, personally.

TinSoldier
Is Heard Often

Post by TinSoldier » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm kind of proud of this one: Image

What do you think?

Edit: It looks like it lost a couple of pixels in the optimization.

Edit2: I fixed the missing pixels and uploaded. Unfortunately I can't figure out how to force refresh in Chrome.

Edit3: Okay, nailed it. I had to clear the cache, but just the cache.