The Comic Creators for Freedom Fundraiser

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
Taiine
Remains Silent

The Comic Creators for Freedom Fundraiser

Post by Taiine » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:18 pm

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
I'd just like to make light of this amazing Fundraiser supported by many webcomic authors.
Comic Creators for Freedom Fundraiser

Their goal is to gather together comic authors to raise money and awareness to help put an end to human trafficking.
Every day people and children are kidnapped off the streets to be brutally tortured and raped until their hope and will shatters. Where everything about them is stripped away; even their names; becoming only an ID number in a catalog for others to 'order' from for their 'service'.

From their Website:
The People:
WeÔÇÖre a group of Comic Book Creators, who have come together, volunteering our artistic talents to raise money for the purpose of ending human trafficking in the world today.
The Problem:
There are currently 27 million enslaved people worldwide- more than double the number of enslaved Africans during the trans-Atlantic slave trade. UNICEF estimates that 1.2 million children every year are sold into slavery, most of it sexual. The US Department of Justice estimates 16,000 victims of human trafficking are brought into the United States every year.
The Project:
Webcomic Creators from all over the world are working together on a single drawing which will be available as a downloadable wallpaper for readers who donate to our fund raising drive! December 2nd-14th!
100% of donations made are going to Love 146 who has become the center figure in the fight to end human trafficking
If you want to view their history and the meaning behind the name 'Love 146' by all means,
"Her name became a number. Her number became our name."
Slavery is still one of the darkest stories on our planet. But for us, the hope of abolition is a reality. Love146 believes in helping grow the movement of abolition while providing effective, thoughtful solutions. We believe in the power of Love and its ability to affect sustainable change. Love is the foundation of our motivation. We were founded in 2002 as Justice for Children International.
So far Comic Creators for Freedom has raised over $22,500 to help support the organizations helping not only raid and take down the places holding and selling people, and children for slavery and sex, but also to rescue them and give them the treatment and rehabilitation they need. There are many success stories on their site, words spoken from the victims.

I post this for those here to become aware of the issue, and the Fundraiser for those whom would like to lend their support.

I am also hopeful that the author of Goblins would be willing to partake and join the many other comic artists who are lending their talent in this years poster that will be given to all who donate during the fundraiser. This years theme is Awkward School Photos! Come on, who wouldn't want to see Minmax as a teen getting their school photo taken!
Each comic creator who participates contributes an original drawing of one of their characters. We compile all of these images into one single wallpaper, available for download when people donate to the cause! The hope is that readers will be excited to participate in our donations drive, and that the wallpaper will be used to generate interest in the project. All of your favorite characters on one screen!
Please consider this and help spread the word. If this is posted in the wrong area I apologize, I didn't see anywhere else fitting for it.

ThroughTheWell

Re: The Comic Creators for Freedom Fundraiser

Post by ThroughTheWell » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:28 pm

I've contributed to at least 2 other organizations that fight against human trafficing and human sexual slavery. So, the issue is real. And, it ought to stir your emotions. However, since it can stir our emotions, contributors need to do due dilligance to avoid being scammed. I've not looked up these groups; they may be legit. If they are legit, might as well help there too.
I survived the forum move 4 times... yeah, I feel old.

Taiine
Remains Silent

Re: The Comic Creators for Freedom Fundraiser

Post by Taiine » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:23 am

They are legit, other authors like Earthsong, Dreamland, and many more have contributed sense this started.
Spindrift just added their entry
http://www.spindrift-comic.com/blog/6
So yes, it's very much a real thing and has been a growing success each year. More and more comic artists are joining in, new ones are popping up and older ones are returning to lend their support.
Look at the growing list of authors that already gave their talent to the cause!
http://comiccreatorsforfreedom.com/?page_id=159

Love 146 is also registered under the Better Business Bureau Accredited Charity and Charity Navigator Four-Star Charity, all of their finances are also up for public download do you see exactly where the money is going, and if in doubt, you can look it up by the Better Business Bureau and find the same yourself.

If you still have doubt, just watch some of the videos of the victims that were rescued, hear their stories, and see the lasting scares.

This will be the 4th year this Fundraiser has ran, and the 4th I'll be donating to.