This is not the blog either........

For anything related to the Goblin's Community beyond the forum, or for anything that does not fit elsewhere. Newcomers should introduce themselves here.
gamecreator
Prattles on Unremittingly

Re: Username Explanations

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:53 pm

willpell wrote:Amazing. Someone who's better at provoking the mods than I am. My hat is off to you, oh short-to-be-lived-here one.
Oh come on. You must be better, than hypocrite and loser troll.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:12 pm

willpell wrote:Amazing. Someone who's better at provoking the mods than I am. My hat is off to you, oh short-to-be-lived-here one.
The difference being that as far as I could ever tell, you were (at least mostly) not doing it on purpose. He's *still* doing it with his backhanded fauxpology. "I'm sorry you are overly emotional" is the attempted manipulation of a child throwing a tantrum. Thus he's getting my mommy voice.

MaleficPresence
Of Few Words

Post by MaleficPresence » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:13 pm

gamecreator wrote:
Oh come on. You must be better, than hypocrite and loser troll.
Careful now, the moderators get irritable when you make personal attacls on someone. Or so I hear. Or maybe this is one of those rules apply differently to some sites. I dont know. Either way its better to be safe an PC. Right?
Neo-evil is still evil. Im just sayin....

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:35 pm

MaleficPresence wrote:Careful now, the moderators get irritable when you make personal attacls on someone. Or so I hear. Or maybe this is one of those rules apply differently to some sites. I dont know. Either way its better to be safe an PC. Right?
What? I didn't attack anyone. You have some false accusations there.

Im just sayin.

MaleficPresence
Of Few Words

Post by MaleficPresence » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:51 pm

gamecreator wrote:
MaleficPresence wrote:Careful now, the moderators get irritable when you make personal attacls on someone. Or so I hear. Or maybe this is one of those rules apply differently to some sites. I dont know. Either way its better to be safe an PC. Right?
What? I didn't attack anyone. You have some false accusations there.

Im just sayin.
No worries on my end pal, I was born with testicals and no reason to involve ego where not needed. Im not anyones mommy an have no need to waste anyones time actin like one. Like I said if this isnt one of those rules apply differently to certain people sites you could get a strongly worded warning. But then again Im not complainin, I dont give a shit what someone I dont know says about me.

I was raised man enough not to need to.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:08 pm

Well, they are mods. I suppose they have all rights to use strong language in their warnings. Not that I would've got any. It's not like someone is going to defend you.
And you look suspiciously reactive for someone who doesn't give a shit. :P

MaleficPresence
Of Few Words

Post by MaleficPresence » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:14 pm

gamecreator wrote:Well, they are mods. I suppose they have all rights to use strong language in their warnings. Not that I would've got any. It's not like someone is going to defend you.
And you look suspiciously reactive for someone who doesn't give a shit. :P
Ahhh, so this is one of those sites. Guess its a good thing I dont need defendin. Unlike some.

Im just sayin.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Some? Like who?

MaleficPresence
Of Few Words

Post by MaleficPresence » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:42 pm

gamecreator wrote:Some? Like who?
Ask the mods man, someone cries an needs defendin, otherwise thered be no reason for mods right? Tho to be honest, it really doesnt make any difference. Some people are low T, some arent. Some people get all invested in what gets said online. They take it personal, yknow? Some people dont.

Theyre just gonna be like that.

Me for example. I work with contractors an lots of military types. You learn real quick not to take things personally if gunfire or someone with a bigger wrench aint involved.

Im just sayin.

MaleficPresence
Of Few Words

Re: This is not the blog either........

Post by MaleficPresence » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:45 pm

Yes, I know. I suck. Its why I get so many second dates.

Im just sayin.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:42 pm

[mod="lingrem"]Just a quick post to point out that all posts regarding MalefiPresence have been merged into this thread.[/mod]
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

PaintsTurtles
Former Mod

Post by PaintsTurtles » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Jeez, guys. If there's one lesson I've learned in 11 years of running a small forum community, it's that backhanded comments are probably the single biggest source of conflict in a small group setting.

MaleficPresence, you may or may not be aware of how you're pushing buttons, but in the event you're not, I can attempt to explain the issue. Yes, you made a post saying "my fault". However, the tone of that post comes across as condescending and insincere, and you continued similar behavior after posting it. It's disingenuous to offer an apology that blames other people - "act[ing] in a manner others might not understand and therefore get emotional over unnecessarily" changes the apology to a statement of blame, which is why people are seeing it as antagonistic.

The statement regarding "something in crayon" is also likely to be taken as an insult given your previous comment about other users' intelligence. It may not have been meant to offend, but it comes across as an attempt to continue insulting behavior in a way that allows you to deflect blame. If you sincerely understand why your actions may have offended people, the best thing to do is to simply say nothing and be more conscious of how your words may be interpreted in the future. Continuing to make passive-aggressive comments about other users will not help, regardless of whether you mention them by name or not.

At the end of the day, there are rules, standards, and a general expectation of behavior everyone here is expected to adhere to. It's fine if you think someone is being overly-sensitive, but that's the type of thought that might be better to keep to yourself. You get all kinds in forums, and not everyone is going to understand or agree with your sense of humor or propriety. Discretion may be the better part of valor, but it's also the better part of maintaining civil discussions. With that said, sometimes misunderstandings do happen, but in that case, the best solution is always to try to slow down the conversation and clarify where things went off the rails rather than to start blaming or insulting others.

To address one of the statements that started this mess:
Those whos head is used for somethin other than to keep their ears from flappin togther in the wind will prolly point out youre comparin apples and oranges.
This could very well have been an honest misunderstanding, where you weren't actually attempting to take a veiled shot at another user and were really just trying to use a bit of hyperbole when making your comparison. However, when someone mentioned that it came across as an insult, the safest course of action would be to say that you are sorry for any offense you caused, but you did not intend your comment to be an insult. Case closed, no harm done, and everyone settles back down. You might feel like people got a bit jumpy at what you perceived to be nothing, but you've kept the peace and gotten the chance to clarify your intentions without insulting anyone.

Rocket - I hope you don't mind me adding a bit to the discussion here, but having dealt with this type of thing frequently in the past, I felt that some clarification and advice could be useful. I apologize if this comes across as out of line - I hardly want to rock the boat, being as new as I am.

RocketScientist
Global Moderator

Post by RocketScientist » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:41 pm

Nope, that was fine. Great job explaining. Thanks. :)

Badeyes
Remains Silent

Post by Badeyes » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:55 pm

I'd like to point out that 'Of few words' is blatant false advertisement.
o:)

nikohl
Discussion Moderator

Post by nikohl » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:42 am

Come on people. Obvious troll is obvious, uninspired troll is uninspired. Leave him to it.

I do wonder what past slight from the letter G caused him to underuse it so, though. Maybe one time it dissed him really bad, so now he intentionally leaves it off the end of every word he can, just to get back at it.

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:50 am

Whatever it was I'm guessing the Apostrophe was egging it on cos it's been banished too :)

Zathyr
Smiths Silly Smiles
UStream Username: Zathyr

Post by Zathyr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Eh, I wouldn't expect any of the combinations of letters to be organized into words, let alone coherent sentences designed to convey thoughts.
'e was just sayin.
Image And always make sure your dragons are happy little dragons.

lingrem
Former Mod

Post by lingrem » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:51 pm

Just going to point out: please don't tease/insult other users, regardless of how they may treat others.
Felicia Faustus in Shipwrecked!

Kennerly
Mutters to Themself

Post by Kennerly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:31 pm

MaleficPresence wrote:Internet trolls.

If you set them on fire or splash them with acid, do they stop regeneratin?

Im just askin.

Unlike most trolls, flaming is actually how internet trolls reproduce.

gamecreator

Post by gamecreator » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:07 am

Not, that's how they feed and become stronger. And they don't reproduce usually, instead most of them are spontaneously generated from GIFT (linked page may contain strong language and thus might be NSFW).