GAL: Quest 1 (Completed)

For all games that are now over.
GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Turn 35)

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:23 pm

Okay, why is the vial of poison listed, but the torches, the rope, etc. are not?
Either we put EVERYTHING on that list, or just stuff that was in the chests.

COMPLETE LIST:
3*skull
3* rat corpse
Shortbow (ranged)
4* Arrows (+1 ATT)
Chainmail shirt +2 Def
2* High-quality animal pelts: These look valuable.
Silver Cloak Pin: Forged in the shape of a wolf's head
3* pointy stick +1 Atk
One amulet of Healing
One Belt of Fistcuffs +1 Atk, if unarmed
Leather Armor +1 Def
Vial of spider venom: Can be applied to weapons or added to potions. Venom has a chance to paralyse the enemy, when applied to a weapon.
Very Dangerous Dungeon Sign (requires 2 hands to carry)
Mysterious Map: Puzzling!
2* torch: +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking (when lit)
Small chest: Small and indestructible.
Borrowed Spear (+2 ATT) will be returned.
Money pouch: Contains 40GP - the pouch itself is interesting, too. Handy to store really small stuff and/or money.
Gnomish Rope: 50m long and very strong. Acid-proof for 10 turns, not flame retardant.
Troll beer (2 people to carry): We need to take that with us and deliver it.

Stuff that was in chests:
Shortbow (ranged)
4* Arrows (+1 ATT)
Chainmail shirt +2 Def
2* High-quality animal pelts: These look valuable.
One amulet of Healing
(One Belt of Fistcuffs +1 Atk, if unarmed - not actually in a chest, but a group reward)
Leather Armor +1 Def
(Mysterious Map: Puzzling! - not actually in a chest, but a group reward)
Money pouch: Contains 40GP - the pouch itself is interesting, too. Handy to store really small stuff and/or money.

Now, if I forgot something, please tell me so.
Also, I'd like to add that I don't think it fair that ONE goblin should get a defensive item AND the means to heal. Kind of the same 'problem' with defensive item AND ranged weapon. Just saying. We have 4 means to keep goblins 'safer' than before and 4 participants, right?

And I'd prefer to divide the loot by common consent, but that might not be possible. Let's give it a try, anyways, please?

ACTION ADDENDUM:
Oh, and @ TL: Can Walks please get back the empty vial from Odd (he drank the other healing potion out of it) and fill it with acid and take it with her (use the rope held by someone else and/or tied to something really STABLE to get down to the level with the acid vat)? Might come in handy if we can't open a lock or something. :idea:
Krulle wrote:My bad memory allows me to enjoy positive news far more often!
Excited for the Dungeon Eyes, Ricki and Lara kissing!
► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches
UStream Username: SGTdude

Post by SGTdude » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:35 pm

that makes sense Gathers.

I would like to keep:
The map (will give to the inkeeper so that everyone in GAL can benefit from it)
The sign (will probably put out front of the inn)
A pointy stick
Leather armor
My skull mask
and then either the pouch the money was in and my share of the coin. If I can have these items, I will give up the right to any other loot
This user has been Banned. (link to the joke)

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:44 pm

Ok. A suggestion:

1. List the top three things that you really want to take out the dungeon for your character in order of preference. Try and agree on those.
2. If there are still contentious items, use Invisible castle to roll up 4 random numbers between 1 & 100 corresponding to each of you. Highest goes first. Then, you take it in turns (following the number order) to choose the items you want, one at a time.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
UStream Username: WearsHats
Location: Third star to the left, and straight on until midafternoon.

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Is there a shop at GAL HQ? Not sure what we can do with the gold and stuff. Its value to us depends a lot on what it can buy.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

Some potentially informative links, should you be interested:
► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:02 pm

ok i thought about this a bit and here is what I am taking.

the map and the sign - I am giving them up to the guild as a whole.
the leather armor - I almost died getting it, call me attached to it.
Skull mask - there seriously is not a good reason for anyone to take this from me
a pointy stick - There are enough weapons for everyone to leave with one

There are other things I would be interested in but the division of loot is really taking to long at this point. Since I can not carry the sign and something else, there is really not a reason for me to hang around other than to wait for loot to be split up, which is honestly taking too long as I said.

I think its fair to split up the gold and other sellable things (like the furs and possibly the pins) because we have already seen that gold can be used at the inn. But I will let you guys decide on that.

I will leave the dungeon with the items mentioned (which are currently in my inventory as of the last update) and go back to the HQ.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:15 pm

I see no reason to count rat corpses and the skull as things of value. We're sharing the sign and the map, so I don't think those should count, either. Bow & arrows should count as one item. I would suggest the bottle of poison go to the same person, as it's probably most useful with the arrows. Likewise, armor and melee weapon (or the belt) make a good combination. Unless someone wants the furs and pin, we should sell those and divide the proceeds.

I want the rope. The amulet would be cool, but I won't fight Sarge over it. I'm willing to take extra gold in lieu of something else. We have enough torches and pointy sticks that we can all get at least one, so I'll keep my torch.
Mostly offline/inactive due to chronic health issues. PM me if you really need attention.

"(Asks), why do you want to shoot all of my favorite animals out of guns?" - JibJib

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:25 pm

WearsHats wrote:Is there a shop at GAL HQ? Not sure what we can do with the gold and stuff. Its value to us depends a lot on what it can buy.
Mmm, it does doesn't it :)

There will be more traders appearing in due course (like Salty Pete, only without the gambling) who you'll be able to buy from, sell stuff to and barter with. More gold is generally a good thing I'd say, but for now it's really up to you guys to set the prices you think might be fair and hope that the rest of the economy agrees with you whenever it arrives.

Also, it's not like you guys are going to have your pockets glued shut when you leave here! You can still argue share out the loot when you get back to HQ, as long as you don't start a brawl :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm

Makes sense. No reason to hold up the game over that. But as long as the last update is still pending, we might as well work it out here, as it only concerns us.

Also, I edited my post above as I hadn't finished it when people got home.

► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:43 pm

Im not taking the amulet because gathers was right, no one person should get two defensive or two offensive items.

If I can ask for anything other than what I said I was taking above, I will take the wolfhead pin. If not, well then I already took my share (minus however we split the coin/sellables).

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:46 pm

I hand only included the real items of value...
Chests, bags, skulls, rat carcasas....really those are of any significant value?
My desired items:
1) Chainmail
or
2) Bow and arrow
3) Healing amulet
(Which I feel go together the most effectively...)
But we are low on defensive side...

So I'd prefer to give the items to the person not getting a defensive item for them to pay for some armor...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:02 pm

Thinks, ICYMI:
gathersingredients wrote:Oh, and @ TL: Can Walks please get back the empty vial from Odd (he drank the other healing potion out of it) and fill it with acid and take it with her (use the rope held by someone else and/or tied to something really STABLE to get down to the level with the acid vat)? Might come in handy if we can't open a lock or something. :idea:
Updated list:

Useful items:
Bow & 4 Arrows
Vial of Spider Venom
Chainmail (+2 DEF) (Quarg)
Amulet of Healing (WearsHats)
Belt of Fisticuffs (+1 ATK when fighting barehanded)
Leather Armor (+1 DEF) (SGTdude)
Gnomish Rope: 50m long and very strong. Acid-proof for 10 turns, not flame retardant. (WearsHats)

Simple weapons:
Pointy stick +1ATK (3)
Torch +1 ATK, when lit: 5% chance to burn enemy, 10% chance to break (2) (WearsHats)

Money/loot:
Valuable animal pelts (2)
Silver cloak pin (SGTdude)
40GP
Money pouch

Decorative or of little value:
3*skull
3* rat corpse

Shared items & stuff to be delivered or returned:

Borrowed Spear (+2 ATT) will be returned.
Troll beer (2 people to carry): We need to take that with us and deliver it.

I propose:

*Everyone gets a torch or a pointy stick
*We sell off the pelts, add that to the GP total, and split the money. SGTdude can either keep the pin and forgo his share of the pelt money or we sell the pin and divvy up the total
*Everyone gets 2 of the useful items
*The chainmail (the only +2 item we have) counts as 2 useful items.
*The bottle of acid, if we get it, is Gathers' idea and single use, so shouldn't count. The money pouch is also of limited use, so shouldn't count.

How's that sound?

► Show Spoiler

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Okay, how about this:
Odd: leather armor
William: chain mail

Mines/Walks: Bow & arrows/ healing amulet (each goblin gets one of these, I'd let Wears pick)
?

Everyone should get a +1 non-breakable melee weapon: 3 pointy sticks, one belt of fisticuffs = 4 'weapons' of equal value. I don't care who gets the belt. I'm just as happy with a pointy stick.
No ones seems to want the torches badly, so I'd say Mines and Walks can keep them each. (Or we get the other two from the top room, also. That way everyone could have one.)
Same with the skulls & rat corpses, they'd stay in their current owner's respective inventories.

I'm not willing to give up the vial of venom. Sorry, but if you guys had wanted some, you could have taken the time to cut the venom glands out of the spider corpse before it sank into the acid.

I don't mind if Mines gets the rope. Nor if Odd gets the cloak pin. I guess that would leave the furs. I'd happily take (one of) them with Walks, maybe we can get some armor fashioned out of it with Ralf's help. :idea:
Also, the money pouch. (IMHO, the 40 gold content should be split equally, except someone really thinks they got the 'short straw'.)

That's just a SUGGESTION, mind you. Would that make everyone happy or as close to happy as we can get?

Erm, Wears wrote his post in the meantime while I was typing this. I'll read it now.

Edit: Yeah, I'm against selling off the pelts. And as I said before, the venom vial is mine. It was my idea, same as the acid vial. I just recycled the vial of the healing potion Walks drank with the yucked up spear tip.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:14 pm

Seems fair at first glance...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:21 pm

um
wtf?
i posted. Where is my response?

EDIT: here we go again....

Going of Hats post, I think its fair. The thing is, I only want a set of armor as a useful item. So I am willing to take the chainmail and nothing else from the useful list. Or i can take the leather armor and there will be an extra useful item (since chainmail doesnt get one).

I would like to keep the wolfpin and the 10g i got coming to me and then give up any share of the proceeds from the wolf pelts (and any other sellables for that matter). I have a pointy stick, a skull mask, and an epic sign.

So all that being said, I guess you guys decide what armor I am getting.

Double secret probation edit: Ok, im going with gathers on this. The spider venom is off the list of useful things, which means there wont be a leftover item if i just take leather and everyone else abides by the rules hats gave. Problem solved there.

Money gets split. Group decides to sell/not sell the furs, I have no part in that decision cuz i got the pin.

I still get the stick, the sign, the mask, and then carry the map back to the inn for everyone.

Im good.

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Okay, if we reclassify the belt as equivalent to a stick, I keep the amulet, and Walks gets the bow & arrows, we have:

Useful items:
Bow & 4 Arrows (Gathers)
Vial of Spider Venom (Gathers)
Gnomish Rope: 50m long and very strong. Acid-proof for 10 turns, not flame retardant. (WearsHats)

Simple weapons:
Belt of Fisticuffs (+1 ATK when fighting barehanded) (WearsHats)
Pointy stick +1ATK (3) (Quarg, SGTdude, Gathers)
Torch +1 ATK, when lit: 5% chance to burn enemy, 10% chance to break (2) (WearsHats, Gathers)

Money/loot:
Valuable animal pelts (2) (Gathers, ?)
40GP
Money pouch

Does that seem fair?

Does anyone want the money pouch? And if Gathers is keeping at least one of the pelts, how do we account for that? Also, what do we do with the other one?

► Show Spoiler

SGTdude
Gives Speeches

Post by SGTdude » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:32 pm

Im good.

Taking my loot to include my sign of epicness and going to the inn.

GathersIngredients
Discussion Moderator

Post by GathersIngredients » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:07 pm

► Show Spoiler
But by and large, I'm okay with the distribution. I just call some things another name. :lol:

Money:
40GP (each goblin gets 10 gold)

4 Items to make a goblin live longer (each goblin gets 1):
Bow & 4 Arrows (Gathers)

Simple weapons (each goblin gets at least 1):
Belt of Fisticuffs (+1 ATK when fighting barehanded) (WearsHats)
Pointy stick +1ATK (3) (Quarg, SGTdude, Gathers)
Torch +1 ATK, when lit: 5% chance to burn enemy, 10% chance to break (2) (WearsHats, Gathers)

not available for distribution:
venom vial (Walks)
acid vial - if it's possible to get it (Walks)

Other stuff (each goblin gets 1, if they want):
Valuable animal pelts (2) (Gathers, Quarg?)

???:
Money pouch

That being said:
I don't really care MUCH about the (empty money-) pouch itself. It would be nice to have, but just a 'gimmick' (certainly not as valuable as the pelts or silver pin or the rope). It - or the second fur - could go to William, if he wants them.
If no one wants the pouch, I'll gladly take it. I just don't want to so badly that I would give up something else for it.

Anyways, if you're set on selling the second pelt, MAYBE Walks could buy it. We'd have to agree on a price first, though. Also, I'd like to know first if Ralf can work them into armor. So probably something we can talk over in the GAL HQ.

Since no one else expressed interest, and I already said I'd like Walks to have it before, still 'during the game', I take it Walks can keep the small (empty) chest?

Also: BIG THANKS to everyone for trying to sort this out amicably. If Quarg and/or Sarge would have 'put their foot down' about the items already in their characters' inventory, I don't think Wears' or my goblin could have done much about it. KUDOS to you for sharing the loot. :cheer:
► Show Spoiler

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:05 pm

You're right. I left the venom vial in the "valuable" list because I was working from your complete list and trying to sort what seemed useful from what seemed unimportant (like rat corpses).

Anyway, your distribution looks good to me.

I don't see a problem with Walks keeping the chest. Thinks said there would be chests available at GAL HQ if we really needed them. Likewise, we seem to be able to carry whatever we want/need as long as it's not too bulky, so I don't see an issue with you claiming the money pouch. (It does match your avatar.)

As for the pelts, we can leave that until we get back to HQ. Find out what, if anything, Ralf can make of them and also how much we might be able to sell them for. Or, since you want one and SGT wants the pin and I've claimed the rope I'm fine with Quarg getting the other one.

Anyway, yes: People have been very nice/good/agreeable about all this. Go us! Yay everybody!

So, if Quarg accepts this, I think we're done.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:16 am

GathersIngredients wrote:I'm not willing to give up the vial of venom. Sorry, but if you guys had wanted some, you could have taken the time to cut the venom glands out of the spider corpse before it sank into the acid.
Actually, the spider died and collapsed into the acid immediately, so there was nothing any of you could do with the corpse (I think Walks tried). Getting poison from the living spider was the only way to get any. Doesn't change ownership stuff, just wanted to point out that you didn't miss looting the thing.

Anyway, looks like you guys are pretty much sorted :) Nice one!

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:03 am

William just wants to go home so he hands out the items as directed...

Yeah, I accept this...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:28 am

Turn 36 / ENDING

The goblins get ready to leave the Very Dangerous Dungeon.

Walks loots the small chest and finds an Amulet of Healing! She gives that and her Belt of Fisticuffs to Mines (who now has ALL the bling) and then attempts to retrieve a vial of acid for future nefarious purposes. Unfortunately, no matter how she tries, she just can't get the vial into the acid without melting her hand off as well. Damn.

Heading upstairs, Walks drops the spear back with the trolls

"Huh! So he wasn't lying. Well you should know better than to take advantage of a hungry troll, but at least you're honest. Thanks goblin!"

The others grab the last of the loot, redistribute everything amongst themselves and head out the dungeon.

CONGRATULATIONS! YOU HAVE SURVIVED QUEST 1: THAT GUY OWES ME BEER!

----------------------------------
► Show Spoiler
Stats & Loot [Items in red are currently equipped]
.[tabs: Odd Duck]
ATT: 2
DEF: 2
HP: 1/5

ITEMS:
Skull
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Leather Armour (+1 DEF)
Rat Corpse (x1)
10GP

[tabs: Walks With The Wind]
DEF: 1
HP: 3/5

ITEMS:
Shortbow (ranged)
Arrows (x4, +1 ATT)
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Vial of spider venom: Can be applied to weapons or added to potions.
Torch (extinguished): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Rat Corpses (x2)
Skull
High-quality animal pelt (x1): This looks valuable.
Money Pouch: Contains 10GP

[tabs: william]
HP: 3/5

ITEMS:
Pointy Stick (+1 ATT)
Skull
Chainmail shirt: (+2 DEF)
10GP

[tabs: Mines Flagons]
HP: 2/5

ITEMS:
Belt of Fisticuffs: +1 ATT when unarmed.
Amulet of Healing: Can heal any creature 1HP, but can only be used once per turn.
Torch (lit): +1 ATT if used as weapon; 5% chance of setting an enemy on fire; 10% chance of breaking.
Gnomish Rope: 50m long and very strong. Acid-proof for 10 turns, not flame retardant.
High-quality animal pelt (x1): This looks valuable.
10GP[/tabs]

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: GAL: Quest 1 (Completed)

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:04 am

I love this ending. Great job, Thinks. Thanks for a good game. :)

Questions? I'm mostly just wondering what you expected us (the generic players you had in mind when you set up the quest) to do.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:50 am

Kill things mostly. Like, ALL the things. But in a normal and ordinary kind of way :) I didn't really have much of a plan in place, because I don't know your characters yet or how you were going to play them so there were basically infinite ways to do this quest (or die trying). Anyway, with that caveat in mind, I had set it up so it could work like this:

Starting in the original area:

Grab the pointy sticks and kill the rats to get to the treasure. That was set up as an easy battle (i.e. low chance of dying), though Mines and Odd did take a bit of a beating thanks to some unlucky dice rolls about who the rats were going to target. Because of that, I threw in a couple of healing potions to sort you out as well as the bow and armour. Don't say I'm not good to you :)

The trolls were (obviously) not going to let you into their lair until you'd fixed their problem. Your quest at this point became stopping the Gnomes from getting into the trolls' laundry. It was also at this point that I stopped planning for what you were going to do and just rolled with whatever you posted.

(Remember when this room was clean?)

This room was completely up to you guys to solve in whatever way you saw fit, though it was obviously set up so that helping the trolls and gnomes to agree was the easier / safer option rather than murdering everything. If you'd wanted to murder your way through, that would have been a valid option though it would have cost you the help of the Trolls or Gnomes or both and crossing the bridge would have become WAY more dangerous because you'd have been viewed as enemies by one or both sides. Making enemies of all the trolls would probably have got you TPK'd (though you could possibly have killed Rork and Gruz and nicked their stuff before the others noticed), but murdering all the gnomes would have been a bit easier.

Anyway, you did all that stuff, crossed the bridge and then lost your nerve a bit with the skeletons. They hit a little harder than the rats and were a little bit tougher, but because they never left their patch you could have had one of you stand on the bridge and just shoot them to death, while the others followed the armoured guy into melee. With a bit of care to split the skeletons up so no-one was taking damage from both at once, you'd have been ok. They couldn't individually hurt Odd while he was wearing that leather armour and by the end of the game you could have equipped that onto someone else and been virtually indestructible. They didn't have much health at all which is why your acid trick at the end was a one-shot kill.

To cross the acid, you were meant to notice the wobbly ladder. It was long enough to bridge the acid pit and could have been pulled back and reused as a ladder to get back up. You'd have to fight your way past the stingers and then fight the spider at full strength if you did that though, and that was definitely going to be a hard battle, which is also why it was optional.

At this point though, I was getting the idea that you guys weren't really up for the battling approach. The chests were originally just going to be decorative, but when you guys came up with that plan of yours I figured it was worth letting you give it a shot (mostly because it was pretty damn original but also partly because I figured that forcing you to fight your way to it would be forcing you to play the quest in a way you didn't want for your characters). Anyway, I thought it was an awesome plan and it worked :)

So yeah, probably a lot less to it than you might have been hoping for but that was my rough plan for you :)

WearsHats
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by WearsHats » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 am

Cool. That makes a lot of sense, and is good to know. Thank you. Curiosity satisfied!

From my side, we didn't have many arrows, D&D rules usually say that arrows are not effective against skeletons (far more likely to slip between the bones or bounce off them than to do any real damage - not that you're playing by D&D rules, but it's how I'm used to thinking about that specific situation), and the skeletons did a lot of damage with no sign of how much we were hurting them. As for the spider, it looked big and scary and we had little more than pointy sticks and cloth shirts. Battle was possible, but seemed too risky. One venomous bite could have been enough to slowly kill one of us. We don't have that many HP.

Then again, I tend to be overcautious in these dungeons. Especially when things are left open-ended. If it's a computer game or a straight up D&D campaign, then brute force is usually the only option. But when it's set up to look more like a puzzle, a direct attack is often a lot more dangerous than it needs to be.

► Show Spoiler

thinkslogically
Game Master

Post by thinkslogically » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:36 am

Oh totally - charging straight in will always be a dangerous gamble and it's always easier to know what to do when you can see the stats sheets! But like I said, that was the vanilla 'hit it till it dies' strategy to beat the dungeon - I like the plan you guys came up with considerably better :)