Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

Dusk9
Games Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the British Isles (exact location unknown).

Re: Pokemon Tabletop United: Trinity Isles

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:18 am

Also, I think Burns it's right about Elementalists bring restricted for balance reasons. Wind Runner will give me access to six Moves, which is the same as a normal Pokemon. Assuming the other Elementalist classes give roughly the same numbers, then someone with two or three of them would have insane versatility and type coverage, and have a Movepool equivalent to two or three high-level Pokemon. Sure, other classes get Moves too, but none with the flexibility, type coverage, or raw power of an Elementalist - as an example, Musician's most powerful Move is the DB 9 damage Normal typed Hyper Voice.

And that's not even considering the fact that, in your case, Fire and Rock are two of the most powerful offensive types in the game. In fact, combined with the equally powerful Fighting coverage a Martial Artist brings, your character would be able to hit nine of the eighteen types for super-effective damage, and the rest for neutral :roll:

SuperVaderMan
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SuperVaderMan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:28 am

That makes sense, I suppose. Combining Elementalist with one of the other combat classes like Martial Artist, Disciple, or Aura Guardian already gives some great type coverage and having more Elementalist classes would cover even more.

I'll just drop the Fire Bringer class then. I do have a Fire-starter, so it's not a huge loss for Type-coverage. I'll just have to deal with the fact that Rock moves have crap accuracy. I'd been hoping to abuse Rock Head + Reckless + Head Smash + Flare Blitz, but a crit-seeking build with Focus Energy + the Heightened Intensity talent + Stone Edge can work, too....

I had a question, though, relevant for Chef. Are we to assume that Trainers have no Flavor preferences? Could we perhaps homerule and roll/select flavor preferences for our Trainers?

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:12 am

SuperVaderMan wrote:I had a question, though, relevant for Chef. Are we to assume that Trainers have no Flavor preferences? Could we perhaps homerule and roll/select flavor preferences for our Trainers?
I'm not against the idea, but if we're going to do that, we might as well just slap natures on trainers and call it a day.

Natrivv
Chronically Blathering

Post by Natrivv » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:14 am

I like the thought of trainers having flavor preferences, but I don't think they'll necessarily be as simple as pokemon. Because personally I do have a bit of a sweet tooth, and prefer sweet things, but I still like spicy, bitter, sour, and dry things, that could make a group of very picky pokemon trainers :P. I think a trainers flavor preferences, should be flavoring like other trainer personality quirks.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:40 am

And I like sour things, but also like spicy and sweet. Dry is alright, depends on what it is, and I do not like bitter tastes.

I am also somewhat picky, i do not like bacon, mac and chees, green beans, pepperoni and other various foodstuffs.

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:09 pm

So update: I'm home early due to sickness.

Of course, due to the same sickness, I'll wait with answering any questions until tomorrow. :roll:

What I want to get off my chest now though... Shame to see you go Synch- Should you change your mind, there's still a spot open for you. And welcome to the game Vader.

Secondly, while I'm home early, I'm keeping my "deadline" as is- In order to give both Dusk and Don the time they require, as well as any others to make some final adjustments if they'd want to. With that being said, assuming they both post tomorrow, I might go ahead and start off early. I'll probably be opening the OOC thread tomorrow as well. This of course barring my sickness is going to continue being a dick.

Regardless, be seeing ya all tomorrow.

SamWiser
Extensively Logorrheic

Post by SamWiser » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:18 pm

It is unfortunate Synch. Still, I suppose it's better to quit before the starts when you know you can't handle it than try to handle it and quit a few weeks in.
Thanks to Arch Lich Burns for the avatar, and Mnementh for the mustache.

ÔÇ£Shoot the dictator and prevent the war? But the dictator is merely the tip of the whole festering boil of social pus from which dictators emerge; shoot him and there'll be another one along in a minute. Shoot him too? Why not shoot everyone and invade Poland?ÔÇØ
ÔÇò Terry Pratchett

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:42 pm

Yeah when I can dedicate more time to giving it a read I will give it a go. Just with the amount of stats regarding classes, features, edges, trainer combat, pokemon etc I'm concerned I'll spend more time reading the rulebook and trying to keep up (and delaying progress) than actually having fun. And doing two jobs at the moment as well as sport and freelance work I'm not really taking the rules in :(
► Show Spoiler

Donnigan
Chronically Blathering
UStream Username: Donnigan90

Post by Donnigan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:19 pm

Name: Laura Wright
Age/Sex: 17/Female
General character idea/Introduction: Metal Musician who enjoys showing off in a big way. SO COOL!
Classes: Fashonista / Musician / Style Expert (Cool) / Dancer?
Starter: Magnemite(For the Cool Factor), Bronzor later on and Jigglypuff, Whismurr, Tympole, Kricketot, Chingling, and any Dancing/Singing Pokemon.
Preferred legendaries: Meloetta, Lugia, Ho-Oh.

Here's my Character Idea, I'm working on the sheet, but this is what I have for now.
Last edited by Donnigan on Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!

¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:22 pm

Awesome, another person wanting to do contests. :dance:

Donnigan
Chronically Blathering
UStream Username: Donnigan90

Post by Donnigan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:47 pm

So...Do the Appeal Dice from Shininess count for the Style Expert?

Edit: Also, take back the Dancer. Probably doing Coordinator, then Style Expert Last.
Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!

¡Sí! ¡He dejado en libertad los prisioneros y ahora vengo por ti!

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:04 pm

I do not think so, since it says for a specific contest stat. Which is unfortunate, but ah well.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:24 pm

Okay, got proper computer access now, so I'm looking through the Pokedex for my Starter. Question: would Noibat be an okay choice?

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 am

Alright... Question answering time!
Seriously though, will there be alternate megas?
Yes. With that being said, keep in mind that mega evo's are a fair bit away, as well that I'll be calling the shots on each and every one of them. It's also likely that I'll restrict the mega evo's to everyone's starter considering custom ones.
Is the inheritence list part of a different list entirely than the standard 6 move selection?
No, the inheritance move list is just a 'savespot' for moves that the pokemon inherited- You can then only actually take them up at level 20 and every 10 levels after that. That's the way I understand it at least.
I had a question, though, relevant for Chef. Are we to assume that Trainers have no Flavor preferences? Could we perhaps homerule and roll/select flavor preferences for our Trainers?
I'm gonna say that trainers can like/hate flavors as they see fit, but that it'd be flavor only and trainers only benefit from the default bonus the food provides (but can't suffer any penalties either)

Don is looking good considering sheet.
So...Do the Appeal Dice from Shininess count for the Style Expert?
Afraid not- It does specifically say it has to be in a specific contest stat.
Okay, got proper computer access now, so I'm looking through the Pokedex for my Starter. Question: would Noibat be an okay choice?
Hmm... Going for the long haul and the awesome evolution you'll gain from it? Yeah, sure, it's okay.

In other news, I have posted the OOC thread! I'd like to double it as a trainer roster, so I'd appreciate everyone reserving one post in it for their character: http://www.goblinsforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p133080

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:58 am

Also, reviewing sheets remembered me of two things:

1: I'd appreciate if everyone could make a picture similar as to how Don/Burns (probably others) made one. You can find the trainer creator they used here:

http://joy-ling.deviantart.com/art/Poke ... -401165483

2: I'm going to be requesting permissions to share the sheets with you guys once we get the ball rolling. I'm counting on you guys accepting said permission. :P

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:07 am

Mort wrote:Hmm... Going for the long haul and the awesome evolution you'll gain from it? Yeah, sure, it's okay.
Actually, it's mainly because it's the only Flying type that gets any good Sonic Moves, so it can synergise with both the Musician and Flying Ace stuff. My second choice was Zubat, but I figure that they're common enough for me to just find one in a cave somewhere relatively early on :roll:

Name: Izzy Gale [Full Name: Isabella Ambrosia Nyla Galenus]
Age/Sex: 18/Female
General character idea/Introduction: Born to a rather wealthy and influential family, Izzy is a recent runaway who is attempting to escape the arranged marriage and life of boredom that her parents had planned for her. A free spirit through and through, she dreams of following in the footsteps of her uncle, a traveling performer, and visiting every city in the region. To that end, she entered the yearly tournament, and got the Trainer's Card (and Pokemon) she would need to make that dream a reality.
Also, she recently discovered that she can fly. Which is pretty neat, and useful, even if she doesn't understand it fully yet.

Starter: Kay the Noibat
Preferred legendaries: Rayquaza/Jirachi/Meloetta

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:35 am

Have I mentioned I like the character balance we've got going on here?

Well, at least considering that we don't have only a single girl. And how half of you guys seem more interested in contests than anything else. :roll:

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:42 am

Wait, so the two egg moves in inherentence list they cannot have yet? *is confused*

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:51 am

From what I understand yes. They just gain the ability to learn it later naturally while usually they couldn't.

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:55 am

Oh. I guess i will put camoflague at 20, and captivate level 30

M0rtimer
Global Moderator

Post by M0rtimer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:30 am

Alright, I've also sent invites to get editing rights on everyone's sheet- I'd appreciate you guys checking that and accepting them, or letting me know if something went wrong. :)

Dlover
Game Master

Post by Dlover » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:34 am

Right, you should have access to mine.
My game:
Hunters of Letrua; Character list
Also Player / Monster stats, skill lists.

My characters:
Tugs Tails, the goblin that was sort of a trapper and wears a bear's tail at his neck, for some reason - Lair of the Mountain King (Run by Thinks)
Alex Sparo, A city boy, poor of sight, who has learned to manipulate people and make the most of what he, and others, have - Trinity Isles (Run by Mort)
Mehriv Turajin, a Noble Dragonborn Sorcerer sent from his clan because he wasn't dragony enough. - The Wandering Archipelago (Run by Thinks)

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:36 am

Rights have been granted. Still working on backstory.

Dusk9
Games Moderator

Post by Dusk9 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:52 am

Request granted.

Also, many questions!
- How much starting money do we get?
- Do we get any starting items?
- If yes, can I have Izzy start with a guitar?
- If yes, can said guitar count as a weapon of some kind (i.e. two-handed melee)? :paranoia:

Nioca
Floods your Ears

Post by Nioca » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:02 am

I'd like to echo (sort of) Dusk's last question. I'm picturing Elias having a Quarterstaff (two-handed melee).