Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Post by Quarg » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:26 pm

A week ago...The Square of the Seven Bells

The rain pummeled the streets of Avedon as darkness fell. The wind whipped across the narrow court of seven bells. Usually at this time of night the court was filled with locals drinking and eating around the base of the two ancient oaks that called it home. Now only the sound of rain drops on the stone slabs could be made out. And the sound of two sets of feet splashing.

The sedan chair appeared in one of the many narrow lanes entering the square. Two small koblods with wide brimmed hats to keep out the rain seemed to be trying to move as fast as their legs could make out on the slick stones of the city. As the sedan chair neared the center of the square, four figures emerged from the shadows of the court.

The lead koblod slowed slightly as he saw the figure emerge from the narrow lane which led to their destination. He slowed even more as the tall figure raised a hand and shouted, "Who goes there..."

"We have a Doctor yes? Go to House of Ambassador Empire now...he sick..."

"This way is barred, you shall not pass..."

The koblods slowed to a stop. And a small figure appeared out of the sedan and looked about. "Why have we stopped? The short, orange goblin asked, trying to keep himself as dry in the small confines of the chair.

"Man say way is blocked..."

The goblin emerged more from the chair and calls out..."Who says...I am bringing a doctor to my employer the honorable..."

The figure moves in closer to the chair, as do the other four figures, slowly surrounding the chair. "There is no honor in the Empire...tonight its ambassador dies, tomorrow it shall die..."

The goblin is taken aback by this, but his hand moves to the small morning star on his belt.

The sedan chair rattles as a narrow, tall man in a dark cloak appears. "I am Doctor Youtof, accredited to the Star Chamber itself...let us pass or you..."

The figure cut him off, "I do not fear the minions of Drago or the Serene Court...if you do not leave...you shall be found in the Grand Canal tomorrow morning..."

The doctor stands for a moment, letting the rain be the only sound. His eyes narrow as his figers grasp the end of a peice of ivory in his cloak pocket. Without warning he turns on his heal and drops back into the sedan chair. A sudden white flash of light emerging from his hand and smacking into the figure that had been slowly moving up behind him.

The goblin suddenly charges at the speaker, the one blocking the way. The sound of chuckling suddenly turns into a swear as what should have been an easy kill turns into a rather akward fight.

The doctor hears the thump of something hitting the wall of the sedan chair wall above his head. He looks out the small window to see that his target is now firmly stuck in a glob of white webbing locking him to the nearby oak. A second figure now hides behind the other tree, as the Doctor looks over he see's movement and then another thump into the wall of the sedan chair just a breath away from the small window.
"By the four Gods if I get out of here..." The sound of metal hitting metal draws his attention. The goblin named Merek seems to be distracting the spokesman of the group. The man is flailing around with a long sword trying to hit the smaller goblin but seems to be too slow.

The fourth figure, a massive hulk too large to be a man, slowly marches up towards the two. The Doctor winces and wonders where the koblods have run off to...

*Zhang*, the sound fills the air as the smell of ozone and brimstone mixing fills the air. The large hulking shape is no longer standing but lies prone, the signs of the water actually evaporating from his armor now.

"Ahh...You son of a mother f**** toad squirl..." screams the spokesman as the goblin uses the sudden distraction to nail his opponent squarely between the legs.

Youtof hears someone running around the sedan chair. He grabs one of the small orbs in his pocket and throws it at the running figure. It misses, hitting the ground. But the resulting fireball throws the figure off their feet and into the shuttered window of a wine store.

"Doctor...come quickly..." shouts the goblin and Youtof grabbs his chest and runs from the saftey of the sedan chair towards the Via Natadia and the saftey of the Imperial Embassy. He sees the spokesman attempt to rise. But he drops as a crackling energy bolt zooms where his head had been a moment before. The doctor looks over his shoulder, in the distance a faint blue light hangs in the bell tower of the local temple.

He turns his attention back to the narrow pathway and saftey. His mind wondering who wants the Imperial Ambassador dead, and who was interfering against them.

What is going on here?
I am seeing how much interest there is in another rp game...this one with me as GM...

What is the game about
It is something of a political mystery/action game (with enough action to keep things interesting for those of you who want to go kill some things regularly...more Jason Borne than Doom Redux)...this isn't a simple dungeon crawl.

So how are you running the game?
At the moment it looks like Pathfinder is the basic mechanic. However in character/NPC data gathering I will likely give bonus points for intelligent/ creative attempts at solving problems or getting information out of your opponents or targets.

So who is playing in the game?
Maybe you...this game was originally designed in discussion with others on the board who may/ or may not still be interested. As such I'm trying to gauge the interest of the wider game community...

Well alright, I'm interested so now what?
Well you can:
  1. A - Just post your interest below
  2. B - Post a question below (this is obvious but I made the list so eh...)
  3. C - Post a character idea...(see below)
Character Idea?
So If I decide to move forward with this game I will be choosing people based on
1) already having an invite because they were part of the orginial group
2) a random selection for those slots still available after the invites have made up their mind (or not said anything so we'll assume they have wandered away like a kitten with a new toy)
However, since I want to push for creative types, I will ask that anyone wanting a slot put up a character idea including:
1- Name
2- Age
3- Physical Description
4 - Personality Description
5- Race (We will likely need to discuss anything other than the base races but I"m not blocking anything other than those who are too god like (No beings from other elemental planes)
6 - Class (Use pathfinder classes available on the web at the moment) note assume six class levels at the moment so they will not be first level characters.
7 - Background

I will award each description with 1-20 points and then roll a d20 for the remaining points. Entry will be given based on highest score first, next highest score second...etc.

But how are you going to judge them?
Creativity, and how well the basics of the class/ race /description/ etc work together as a whole.
So a well written, but somewhat 'stock' sorcerer will likely score higher than a thinly conceived Samurai-Barbarian Hulu skirt wearing goblin.
Note: that if I decide not to allow a class or a race in the game, don't worry about it for this portion as we'll work something out that is mutually satisfactory

I have some interest but not the time to develop a full character right now...
Post your interest at least...I will decide when to close things off and how many slots need to be filled in a bit...

For those in a character making frame of mind:
Background
► Show Spoiler
Wait...who/what are the Immortals and can I be one?
Well you don't want to be one really...think less immortality and more self absorbed mercenary killers and cannon fodder...Yeah...not the people you want to be...but you could have been one...once...
Last edited by Quarg on Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Quarg

Re: Recruitment/Interest Thread for the Immortals

Post by Quarg » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:30 pm

Character Attributes/ Point Buy

You will have 15 point to buy your attributes
All attributes start at 10

Code: Select all

Ability Score Costs
Score	Points
7	ÔÇô4
8	ÔÇô2
9	ÔÇô1
10	0
11	1
12	2
13	3
14	5
15	7
16	10
17	13
18	17
You can buy two 'traits' that are background related (I reserve the right to nix)
or
two bonus points for attributes

You can be up to a fifth level character...with a maximum of two classes...(Trying to manage complexity here)

Which means:a max of 5 skill points (before racial/class/feat based bonuses) per skill
(normal problems with non-class skills)

Character Origin
Since everyone so far has been nice, flexible, and vauge...
decide please:
Local (from the islands)
Imperial (yeah there is a reason for this)
or
Other

However,
Goblins from a clan - Auto Other...
Kitsune - Other/Local
Orc - Other/Imperial

Feats

Technology Level / Magic Weapons/ Items and Magic Items
All items procured must have been available before the begining of the 17th century (1600)
You can have stone age weapons
You can have bronze age weapons

Please get approval for all magic weapons / Armor / Items before hand...

Starting funds are as follows:
Alchemist 10200
Barbarian 10200
Bard 10200
Cavalier 11900
Cleric 11000
Druid 9300
Fighter 11900
Gunslinger 11900
Inquisitor 11000
Magus 11000
Monk 8400
Ninja 11000
Oracle 10200
Paladin 11900
Ranger 11900
Rogue 11000
Samurai 10200
Sorcerer 9300
Summoner 9300
Witch 10200
Wizard 9300
► Show Spoiler

Just start with 10,600 except for Gunslinger and Cavalier who start with 11,900

Firearms
Firearms are the new wonder toy of the world, slowly becoming more and more efficient they have been pushed by various non-magical guilds to various world rulers to help reduce dependence on the various magic users. Therefore it is the age of the elite Musketeer/Gunslinger before the advent of the mass army of musket wielding armies
You can use firearms if you:
Take the Gunslinger Class
Gunslingers gets one additional 'skill point' beyond the 4+Int which they must apply to one of the following:
Musketeer - 1 points profession military
Landsman - 1 points profession sailor
Armsman - 1 points Knowledge Nobility
Guildman - 1 points Knowledge Guilds
which reflects the origin of your knowledge...for example if you learned weapons from someone either in or formerly conncected to the military you'd be a Muskateer and get 1 points in being a professional solider so you can identify rank insignia...known the difference between a corporal and a Colonel...etc
or
Have the Martial Weapons Feat
and meet one of the following conditions:
1 - You have a military background ( 3 skill points in profession Military)
2 - You have a high status background (5 skill points in Knowledge Nobility)
3 - You have 5 skill points in Profession Sailor

Or
Take the Exotic Weapons Feat
and
1 - You have a military background ( 1 skill points in profession Military)
2 - You have studied firearms (1 skill points in Knowledge Firearms)

In addition to the standard table all firearms have the following attributes
1-Matchlock - Standard weapon for this period, 80% chance of not firing if fighting under 'wet' conditions or enemy uses water attack
2-Wheellock - +1 Weapon , 50% chance of not firing under 'wet' conditions
3- Flintlock +2 Weapon (can not be blunderbuss), + 20 feet to range (because better made and keeps powder drier) (500 gp rebate to those with one level in Gunslinger-modified wheellock)*
no
Gods, Goddesses, and Ancients
The Pantheon Familia - (Aka The Pantheon of the Empire)
  • Danu - The Mother
  • Dayus - The Father
  • Aengus-The Poet
  • Nane - The Warrior
  • Io - The Dragon
The Outer Pantheon- Those Gods recognized as Gods but not part of the Pantheon
  • Ubu - The Dog Trickster
  • Centzon-The Drunk Rabbits
  • Karmerynn -The Unicorn God
    ► Show Spoiler
The Underthon
Coming Soon to a temple near you...

The Emeraldian Pantheon
  • The Goddess of Fire and Creation
  • The God of the Sea and Life
  • The God of Air, Travel, Love, Joy
  • Death-Fate
  • The Keeper-The one who is supposed to keep Demons from this world
  • Demons-The damned who gain powers in the afterlife and then try to destroy the world to gain even more power.
Orcs - Baa and the Lost Tribe
  • Baa - A sheep God
    ► Show Spoiler
  • The Tribe of the Lost
    ► Show Spoiler
Orcs - The Great Tribe
► Show Spoiler
Kitsune-The Ancients
► Show Spoiler
Elves-'Derna'ka De Marca <The Divine Hall>

Military Ranks-Imperial
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by Quarg on Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:27 am, edited 10 times in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 am

Despite the dubious wisdom of entering another game, I am interested, but have no familiarity with Pathfinder, so would have to take a look and see what I'd like in terms of race/class.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:55 pm

I am interested, though still brain-fried from finals. (I have three next week, and then I am FREE, but I'm sure the plane ride over to the UK is gonna drain me another few days, too.)
My only question is as far as setting, do you have a custom pantheon, is there a 'setting port' pantheon-wise, or are you using Golarion's base deities? (I may roll a divine fellow up, but I'd rather not try to come up with character concepts to throw at you until some of my creative juices come back.)

Why are my more politically manipulative characters all clerics?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:15 pm

*Laughs*
Spider, Amara
This is the game we had been discussing via IM...so your invitees...
So you can bring in the character's we discussed or new ones if you so

(Yeah, might have to do a translation but the skill scores seemed to do well...)

As for a Pantheon, I tend to hew to the classical Greek, Roman and Etruscan traditions with name changes rather than try to conjure my own up or follow some third parties ideas...although I am flexible as need be...For instance the major local deties are
(Damn left that sheet at the office)...Goddess of the Sea (Poseidon had a sex change for game reasons)
Hestaia - Goddess of Fire (There are volcano and its a nod to Helio)
Charon - God of Death
Mercus- God of Trade (and messengers)

But if you want to pull one from standard Golarion pantheon that is fine...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:27 pm

Have a pathfinder resource you like? I may roll up new character for new system.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Arch Lich Burns
Will NOT Shut Up!
UStream Username: burnsbees

Post by Arch Lich Burns » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:45 pm

I am interested. I will need to think a lot on it thou!

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:17 am

Aww...and I thought I was going to have fun with an elf and his spider...

Anyway...realize I'm using pathfinder because of it's easy open license and online resources so
no homebrew please...

Currently I'm using:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/
and
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Also let us keep to the base races here people...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:31 pm

Quarg wrote:Also let us keep to the base races here people...
Any class restrictions?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:52 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Quarg wrote:Also let us keep to the base races here people...
Any class restrictions?
No...I haven't seen anything overly powerful at the moment in Pathfinder Classes...
If you want a 3.5 class (or have a 3.5 class) IM me and we'll see if we can get it to work...

And I realized that there is a difference between the standard race list I had and the base races listed on the web site...so the following additional races are also 'available'

Goblins - Thuntonian not Pizaro's versions
Orcs
Koblods
Kitsune - Though IM me if you want to play this race please
Gnomes

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

ChuckDaRighteous
Floods your Ears

Post by ChuckDaRighteous » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:45 am

been thinking about it and I figure I'll give it a go. I do have to check what is and isn't on pathfinder but hopefully it matches the resources I use.
Righteous OneVengeful One in Goblin Adventurer's League
Righteous Charger in Capture the flag
Tim/Tuane in Potential
GMing Gal Quest 10

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:03 am

1- Name: Arg'ak Kro
2- Age: 18
3- Physical Description: 6'3", 290lbs, grey skinned. His nose has been broken repeatedly, and the last inch or so of his left tusk has been snapped off, giving his grin in battle an even more unnerving look. Arg is well muscled even for an orc, but not in the mold of the musclebound oaf that can only swing an axe.
4- Personality Description: Raised entirely outside of orcish society, Arg'ak is less viciously brutal than others of his race, but still relies on his fists first and talk second if at all.
5- Race: Orc
6- Class: Brawler
7- Background: Arg's sire, Pelshak, began sneaking around with Mirka, one of the chieftain's females. Eventually she became pregnant with Arg'ak, much to pride of the chieftain, who did not know that he was not the father. The chieftain, despite holding his position for many years, and mating with many females, had not been able to produce any offspring. Now that one of his wives was with child, the chieftain began boasting of his prowess in battle and bed, and predicted that his son would be as mighty a warrior as he.

After a particularly glorious battle, Pelshak was drunk on blood and mead and bragged to friends about his secret. Eventually word filtered back to the chieftain, who had Pelshak dragged from his home, beaten and detained. Meanwhile, the chieftain called in a seer to perform a scrying on the unborn child to determine the truth of the rumor. After painting runes in blood on the swollen abdomen of Mirka and consulting various auguries while in a trance, the seer declared that the child would indeed succeed him as chieftain, and usher in a new era of glory for the tribe... but that he was no son of his. Enraged, the chieftain went to where Pelshak was being detained, and began to torture him. He began by cutting a digit from each finger and forcing Pelshak to eat each one. After the first two digits from each hand had been roughly chopped off and force fed to him, the chieftain went to get Mirka, intending to cut the babe from her womb and force Pelshak to eat his bastard child piece by piece.

Left alone with his two guards, Pelshak made his move, punching one guard in the neck with his stubbed fingers, the jagged bone of his shattered fingers puncturing windpipe and arteries. He kicked, kneed and elbowed the other guard into submission before wrapping his arm around the guards neck and twisting. Panting, Pelshak rose from the bodies of the guards and shoved the pain of losing his fingers aside. He slipped from the tent, heading to where his mate was being dragged from the seer's tent by the chieftain. Hearing Pelshak coming, the chieftain turned, just in time to catch a blow to the face, his left eye spurting its contents as Pelshak's finger bones punctured it. Pelshak and Mirka fled into the night, the chieftain screaming for his tribesman to stop them. Mirka took a spear in the shoulder, but they snapped it off and kept running. As they fled, they occasionally had to pause to dispatch pursuers, but eventually made it clear of the tribe's land.

Unfortunately, Mirka's wound began to fester at the same time she entered labor. Arg'ak was born to the couple, but his mother died soon after. Raised by his father, Arg'ak lived his early childhood as a fugitive nomad, roaming the wild together. Unable to hold a weapon any longer, Pelshak was not able to teach his young son to fight with the traditional orcish weapons, instead training him to use his body as a weapon, as he himself was forced to do.

Eventually, as the two roamed farther from the tribe's lands, they began encountering more and more human habitation. To provide for them, Pelshak enlisted as a pit fighter, and surprised many when the crippled orc managed to win his first few bouts. His contract was purchased by a shady promoter, who threw him into more and more lopsided contests. In a completely cliche move for shady fight promoters, Pelshak was eventually asked to take a dive, which he refused to do. The promoter had him set upon by thugs posing as muggers in an alleyway after the fight, one of whom carried a poisoned blade. Pelshak survived, but the poison ravaged his system and he became weak and emaciated, unable to speak or leave his bed, much less fight. The promoter offered to pay for Pelshak's care if Arg'ak fulfilled the remainder of his father's contract. To save the only family he'd ever known, the ten year old Arg'ak agreed, and spent the next two years toiling his way up from the bottom of the pits. When he wasn't fighting, he spent his time training or sitting with his father, who was largely unresponsive. On the week he broke his contract and fled, he went to see his father but was not admitted. The same thing happened the next day, and the next. Suspicions aroused, he hid nearby and head the guards talking about how the old orc finally managed to end his life. Devastated, but with no reason to remain, Arg'ak left, traveling through the empire taking odd jobs as a freelance pit fighter, bodyguard, bouncer, porter and general muscle for hire.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:50 am

*Tip of the hat to Spider*
An excellent character backstory that works class and race together well.
► Show Spoiler

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:36 am

Quarg wrote:*Tip of the hat to Spider*
An excellent character backstory that works class and race together well.
Thanks! I figured that even as an invitee, I should try to have a character story worthy of inclusion based on the creativity criteria.
Quarg wrote:I recommend (not required at all) just thinking on how he came to be out in the islands away from the Empire...
As an addition to the Ambassador's protective detail? by concerned family?
Working a ship as a crewman...He's big enough they might have not hired him to go into the rigging...
Or to go into pit fighting -- which may not worked to his advantage...
I left the events from age 12-18 vague, as I didn't want to try to establish something as part of backstory that didn't fit with what you planned on doing story wise, especially since I don't know much about the backstory for the setting. Could be he killed the promoter to get out of his contract, and had to flee to the outer reaches, could just be hired on as a guard for a trip out this way, porter or oarsman on a ship, etc. Whatever fits best with your tale would work for me... I picturing him roaming around, taking odd jobs that require a strength and the ability to hold one's own in a scuffle, so any number of specific things could have led him here, or just random wandering...

I've not played Pathfinder before, much less a brawler, and have never played an orc, so may need a bit of help building out the character beyond the basic concept.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:06 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
I left the events from age 12-18 vague, as I didn't want to try to establish something as part of backstory that didn't fit with what you planned on doing story wise, especially since I don't know much about the backstory for the setting. Could be he killed the promoter to get out of his contract, and had to flee to the outer reaches, could just be hired on as a guard for a trip out this way, porter or oarsman on a ship, etc. Whatever fits best with your tale would work for me... I picturing him roaming around, taking odd jobs that require a strength and the ability to hold one's own in a scuffle, so any number of specific things could have led him here, or just random wandering...
I thought that is why you had left it vauge...but having ideas at least at hand is better than not...(also your the first so I'm nudging those who follow you ;) )
...and truthfully I was expecting the invitees to want to play around with their existing characters a bit more
But the hiring / group build I need to change but has little impact things...
I've not played Pathfinder before, much less a brawler, and have never played an orc, so may need a bit of help building out the character beyond the basic concept.
Yeah, far less worried about it than you are...mainly because I'm looking at using it to build a balanced characters and drive a fun-multi member story rather than pit you against my score maxed monsters in a dungeon...(There will be fighting...)

edit: Acutally, a Brawler can have a specific profession as it is a class skill...which I completely forgot...so you may want to think about him having a bit more...er professionalism rather than the Jack of all trades he's got at the moment...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:01 pm

tempting...tempting... I think I will tentatively poke my nose in for interest. If you've already got a surplus of people, I'll retreat.

Oh, and Pathfinder is about as new to me as D&D, so,...er...lots of idiotic bumbling! (if the more experienced people think that taking on a second character so soon (especially since said first character is only in his first few turns) I'll take a talking out of getting in over my head as worthy advice and also retreat)

meanwhile, looks like the online resources are pretty good, time for a look around.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:30 pm

Yeah, Tea

Don't know what happened to Jacon's thread at all...unless your talking about another thread...

And currently we don't have an excess of people (and I doubt too much idiotic bumbling since I focus more on story than dice rolling...)

hey the worst thing that happens is you get some experience building a character in pathfinder...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:09 pm

I'm still being eaten by finals. I have one tomorrow, one Thursday, and then I'm done!
As it currently is, I'm leaning toward playing an inquisitor, if that is all well with you. (Are we playing with traits? That may influence which of a few ideas I swing toward.)
Are you allowing Dhampirs, also?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:48 pm

Well good luck...

First...no problem with the Inquisitor class per say
Second....I am going to let you either get two more points in the attribute buy or buy two traits...and your really going to have to base them in your backstory...

As for Dhamphirs...
Two problems: One they have 11 race points and I'm trying to keep all the character races to those below 10
Second: I can't make their background make a damn bit of sense except being barbaric grunts up in the hills (for the few that survive the first say five years of their life with zip parents and a world that knows your evil) Its a human version of a Drow...but makes even less sense (Note taking a swipe at the people who created them not at you for wanting to base a character on one)

I'm not sure why you wanted to use that race however and I also dislike interfering on people's creativity
So:
a) - Try another race
or
b) - Explain why you want to use that race so that we can create a modified version for this world which makes sense to the Anthropologist in me and has race points of 9 or less....

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:12 am

He was originally a VtM NPC for a game of mine that died under rather unfortunate circumstances. I later tried to adapt him to D&D, but cleric was never fully a good fit for him, and he wound up as a cleric with a slight level dip in rogue so that he could take feats such as hamstring and arterial strike to keep his 'medical theme'. It was...awkward. Then Pathfinder came along, and inquisitor seemed a perfect fit, though I've never had a chance to play him. His being a Dhampir is largely because the character developed around the idea of a lot of internalized guilt around what they are, juxtaposed against their willingness to do often horrible things due to some far off sense of the 'greater good.' IE, the idea of being cruel to be kind. Doing bad things for good reasons. Sometimes someone has to be the one to dirty their hands...so that the common folk can rest easy at night. That sort of thing.

Generally speaking, Dhampir are, if you go in to their provided background fluff, generally assumed to be (or implied to be) the products of rape. His mother would be human...since they're half-breeds, rather than a race that breeds true. I'm assuming he would still be a city dweller, though he likely grew up in a small village with fewer defenses or ways of staving off attack from the supernatural and monsters. I'm not certain why the implication of his race would be that he would need to be a barbarian. I can understand being wary of races above 10, however, does this mean dwarves are also not allowed, since they are also 11 RP? If 9 or less is the limit, does that mean no half elves, elves, or gnomes? I suppose that would leave me with... humans, half-orcs, gnolls, or something like a Grippli or Catfolk. Doable, though not as easy to work around for character building at present. That could change easily when I'm less tired.

I confess this will likely not be too detailed, as I am exhausted and merely taking a break from cramming for my final, presently. I just hope anything I'm writing right now makes sense.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
As far as traits, possibly something like Hardly a Fool (+1 trait bonus on Sense Motive checks and a +1 trait bonus on saving throws against illusion effects.) to reflect his "logic checking". Or perhaps Savant, just to pick up a performance skill (piano) as fluff rather than character optimization.

If it's altogether a no go, I can figure out something else. It's been a while since I was able to dip my toes in to a character with an appropriate level of crazy.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:49 am

Actually, the table I was using doesn't list the Race points for the base classes...and if I have any dwarven player characters I might just reduce a racial trait also...

No your character makes perfect sense psychologically...but the background really doesn't say Inquisitor (holy magic...) it reads like an alchemist and at 144 years his mother should have been dead a damn long time...as well as most of the people he grew up with too if normal human...He can dance on their graves, and I mean Taylor Swift awkward dancing not an old lady shuffle...

I have a suggestion you may or may not like, but it occurred to me:
► Show Spoiler
As for the whole race characteristics...I'm just going to say let's get rid of the Resistance and leave it at that...
Last edited by Quarg on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:19 am

Questions on intimidate. Half orcs get +2, what do full orcs get? Is there a trait that allows use of something other than CHA as the modifier?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:29 am

Well, the inaccurate time mentioned was somewhat intentional. ;) Jäger definitely does not realize how old he actually is.
Spider; there is a feat called "Intimidating Prowess". It adds strength to intimidate. That said, full orcs actually don't have an intimidate bonus. ...for some reason.

Yeah, 'player race' cutoff is typically around 11, (due to dwarves,) which is why I was a bit confused, haha. If the extra RP are truly a huge concern, that's fine, and I'm happy to work with cutting him down a touch, like I said. (RP is really more an approximate guide than being properly accurate.Personally, I find humans much more mechanically powerful than dwarves, despite humans being 9 RP while dwarves are 11.) The primary reason dwarves and dhampir are both actually 11 RP is that darkvision is a 2 RP racial ability. For whatever reason, the dwarves' "Hardy" is 3 RP. (Members of this race gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.) while the similar Healthy is only 2 RP. (Members of this race gain a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves against disease and poison, including magical diseases.) (Dhampir also get an extra 1 RP cost for having a "linguist" centric language spread, which I personally think is rather ridiculous to charge for, since "Linguist" just means you get common + racial language, and the ability to learn any non-secret language you want. (Interestingly, while "standard" is 0 RP, which is Common + Racial + ability to learn up to 7 languages, Xenophobic is also a 0 RP flat language, rather than being a -1, when it's racial only, + 4 languages.)

Inquisitor is more what he should be mechanically, especially since torture actually scales off of healing, as well, and it falls in line with his teleological 'ends justify the means' way of looking at things. I could also see the ability to treat teammates as possessing teamwork feats as him being frustrated and short tempered, barking short orders and getting frustrated with no one being able to read his mind. "over THERE. Oh, never mind.." It allows for the limited amount of spellcasting he should have (around the level of a bard) but would allow me to spec him up around using a crossbow. I played him up as a philosophical cleric prior in 3.5, so I'd carry that on with if allowed just making him a philosophy-centric inquisitor sans deity. Otherwise I'd probably have him follow a deity of knowledge. Domain would likely be either healing (wavering on this, but it falls in line with the 'debt to pay' mentality) or knowledge (which is really more a fun throw back to his original existence as a Malkavian.) If I must adjust him, I suppose alchemist is a better fit than witch (I can't really see witch fitting at all, unless I just really wanted an excuse to get a raven familiar or something,) but chemical warfare could be fun to toy with. I was actually considering the Vampire Hunter inquisitor variant, though the fact that Silversmith replaces Detect Alignment is actually rather huge, and that's one of the things I was looking to Inquisitor for.
With Alignment I'd probably be looking toward CG. He has good intentions, though his methods are often a liiiiiiiiiiiiiittle suspect and not always wholly legal.
Why no. I'm not at all in the mood to play Jäger again because of Cole. Why would you think that?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:59 am

Amara wrote: Why no. I'm not at all in the mood to play Jäger again because of Cole. Why would you think that?
Sorry didn't understand this ^ at all...

If you want him to be CG and/or a philosophical inquisitor that's fine...but please meet me halfway and give him a background that gets him that kind of training and mentality then I will be a very happy GM...

Somewhere, I thought I read that core classes were from 8-10...which is where I sort of made the cut off...

As for the race...I'm changing it drastically at least in history in this game world so it can exist and make sense for the Anthropologist in me...but it will have little effect on your character's background...
Except that people from various parts of the world will have a very strong negative reaction to you because the main 'race' will be quite notorious.

(Also was Jager to be an Imperial, a Emeraldan (Local) or Other?)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:41 am

Ah, yes, STR to Intimidate checks was what I was looking for, thanks.
*Edit: I'd been looking in the traits rather than feats though... since there is one that lets you use INT instead of CHA, I thought that's where I'd find a STR one and came up dry.

I had looked at the orc sheet and didn't see any Intimidate bonus, but saw that halforcs get one in the skill description... I don't see how that makes any sense though... :shrug:

Regarding the RP discussion, I'd like to take the Dayrunner penalties in place of the Light Sensitivity, he would be acclimated to operating during day as well. The familiarity with orc weapons doesn't make sense backstory-wise, nor would it be very useful, so I'd like to shed that in favor of something better. However, of the 4 alternate racial traits, only 2 supplant weapon familiarity, one of which makes him nonverbal, and the other that also removes ferocity to replace them with a half strength scent ability. Scent is normally a 4 RP trait, yet a weakened version of it is the equivalent of a 6 RP trait for an alternate for orcs? Would you be willing to entertain some sort of 2 RP swap out for the Weapon familiarity'?

*edit: though ferocity is listed as 4 rp some places and 2 rp others? I may just be confusing myself at this point. Nevermind, I see the difference between Ferocity (which orcs have) and Orc Ferocity (which orcs don't have), so it's still a 4 RP thing.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler