Thread of Unknown Purpose...OOC for Immortals

Home to all current Forum Games.
Quarg

Re: Recruitment/Interest Thread for the Immortals

Post by Quarg » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:03 am

Tea wrote:
Technology Level / Magic Weapons/ Items and Magic Items
All items procured must have been available before the begining of the 17th century (1600)
You can have stone age weapons
You can have bronze age weapons
Does this mean that the the rest of the world is in the 16th century, but there are only stone and bronze age weapons (and then also some firearms) available, or that it's up to the 16th century with stone and bronze age weapons are still in use along with more normal weapons for that time?
Amara,

I'm trying to plug init is just some yokal seems to have taken out a cell tower.so I will try to be around

Tea,

Neither,
It means that most of the world is at about the 16th century, but If for some reason your character wants to be a barbarian using a stone axe or a simple sickle swordwell your going to get looked at like the backwards from the hinderlands barbarian that you are...
Really...why are you reading this?

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:54 am

I have my sheet...mostly done. I'm uh... fiddling through inventory at this point.

Have my health generated at least. Yeowch. 30 Hp. Hope nothing smacks him in the face...ever.

10,600G start, right?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:04 am

Amara wrote:I have my sheet...mostly done. I'm uh... fiddling through inventory at this point.

Have my health generated at least. Yeowch. 30 Hp. Hope nothing smacks him in the face...ever.

10,600G start, right?
Except for cavaliers and gunmen

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Amara
Spokesperson in Training

Post by Amara » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Alright. The sheet's incomplete but gold now confirmed, I'll see what I can grab and may shift stats around based on what's affordable.
Do need to confirm on height. Obviously he won't be leaving medium size category either way, but he's meant to be unsettlingly tall. What would "tall" average be by setting? (Because in a modern setting I would just make him 6'9.)

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:49 pm

I'd say just leave it at 6'9"...he will have to duck through poor people's door ways

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:02 pm

I finally gave up on writing everything out by hand (it was getting a little messy) and found a nice sheet to fill out. The only problem is that it looks like I either have to fill it out by hand and then I have a bunch of sheet-shaped jpegs which are probably going to be really unwieldy for anyone else but me or I set about reconstructing it over in Word (it's not one of the editible pdf ones.) I'll have to look into this whole editible thing, it seems useful but I'd have to go learn to use it.

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:20 pm

Tea,

You might want to just set up an account at Mythweaver's and put up an online sheet there...

http://www.myth-weavers.com/

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:41 pm

oh, or that.

okay, just have to sort weapons and armor, set down and grab some of the gear I've been eyeing, convince her not to spend all her money on sharp,pointy objects, stop attempting to reorganize (or text wrap) the feats/abilities column, and then go figure out the fox.

In the meantime http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... id=1086143

Synch
Game Master

Post by Synch » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:16 am

I'm back now so I'll get my character sheet done over the next few days.
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:50 pm

Tea,
There seems to be something odd with her skill scores...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:33 pm

do you mean skill ranks or the ability scores?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:40 pm

Your skill modifer which is the ability modifer plus the skill rank...

For example you have a skill modifier of 5 for climb but only have two skill points in it and 0 in strength

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:52 pm

Oh okay. It looks like it's the sheet I'm using automatically adding the +3 for class skills without marking it very well.

edit: there, now they have tildes. That should help make more sense. (unless it doesn't which means that there's another problem in there somewhere)

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Yeah, class skills getting the +3 took me a moment too. My sheet is getting closer, its a few pages back, on my phone or I'd link. here.
Last edited by spiderwrangler on Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:04 pm

*Ah right get +3 for class skills that have at least 1 rank in them...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:29 pm

Horses get along passably with boats?

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:35 pm

The men who handle boats can handle horses because they see horses all the time...
and horses can swim...

Camels...not so much...

Of course a good deal of this might occur within the precincts of the city...where a horse is not exactly all that useful...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:19 pm

I've been talked out of camels. I have her at the point of just travel very light (since she has a pretty low strength score), or set down and buy a mount (or if that doesn't work, use a horse for the companion instead of the fox) and use it for most of the heavy lifting.

I'm debating...

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:31 am

That was more the explination of why horses versus camels...for reasoning...

Also remember how much a bag of holding can carry for a few pounds...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

spiderwrangler
Game Master

Post by spiderwrangler » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:04 am

How do you plan to handle the need to eat? Should we be spending money on rations?
Games I GM:
► Show Spoiler
Games I play in:
► Show Spoiler

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:44 pm

This is not a dungeon crawl so expect to be able to pick up supplies at villages/farnhouses/taverns/local bushes/trees when needed at relatively cheap prices....
or don't worry about it until you guys decide to go into some lightly populated place for some reason...

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:55 pm

Oh,..er...right.

Meanwhile, started up sheet for the Animal Companion.
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.p ... id=1091141

Otherwise, I'm almost done with the elf (or, I will be when I finish figuring out what exactly she's bringing and where she's stowing it).

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 pm

Okay, despite the bad forum etiquette of posting twice in a row, here goes a couple of questions.

On the page I've been using (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monste ... oot-fennec), it lists a couple of both skill modifiers and racial skill modifiers. I've put the normal skill modifiers on the sheet already, and I want to take a guess and say that the racial modifiers are already included in the numbers for skill modifiers, but I really can't tell.

On a similar note, is the Skill Focus for Perception also included in the +8 on perception or is that added on afterwards?

But wait, there's also the modifiers from the ability scores which may or may not be changing the numbers further (I didn't even think about that one until just now; I treated the ability modifiers and the skill modifiers from the fox as separate instead of the listed modifiers including already the modifiers from ability scores).

And then on a slightly different topic, do tricks also include the specific command to do whatever the trick says to do? because then they make a bunch of nice if, then statements (like, say, training the animal to heel if and only if the command "heel" is given in elvish).

If tricks are a bunch of nice if,then statements, then, out of interest, does training to react to two commands for the same trick count as two separate tricks? (using Heel as an example again, say, having heel on a verbal command and having heel on a gestural command).

As Hunter Animal Companion, it also has access to the tricks for the Ranger (Skirmisher Archetype), is that limited to the tricks that only include the companion or since the companion in this case is learning the tricks and not the ranger, are any one of them okay?

And (finally), I have the bonus tricks, but have I trained any of the animal's normal tricks already sometime in the five levels I've implicitly gone through or no?

phew, I swore that was a shorter list of things when I started out typing this...

Quarg

Post by Quarg » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:23 am

Alright so I'm going to work through this for a moment...

Fifth level animal companion

Code: Select all

Class Level	HD	BAB	Fort	Ref	Will	Skills	Feats	Natural Armor Bonus	Str/Dex Bonus	Bonus Tricks	
5th	5	+3	+4	+4	+1	5	3	+2	+1	2	
And now I'm not sure where you got those ability scores but I'll let you deviate from either the small cat or the fennic fox model but there needs to be a zero change in point buy...
Figured this out now...but he gets one point to dex, one to strength and one more ability point...

Alright...once we have the ability scores, in the monster manual I am assuming that total listed skill levels for:
Acrobatics +3 ...matches the ability score for dex...
Jumping +11 ....racial modifier of 8 apparently??? plus dex...
Perception +8 ...this is all from the skill focus apparently
Survival +1....corresponds to the wisdom bonus
Tracking (Noise) +5 (Huh scent for an animal that detects prey via hearing er no...fixing that here and now) + 4 for doing things with hearing to survival bonus...
The above are for a all of Simoom's "wild" relatives and includes the bonus for their natural ability scores...
(something seems crazy with the racial modifiers....)
But Simoon's been hanging out with a crazy elf woman and has an additional +1 dexterity bonus to Jumping and Acrobatics and maybe is a bit smarter too...
Which means that my reading of this is you can add any of the five rank points he has to:
Acrobatics* (Dex), Climb* (Str), Escape Artist (Dex), Fly* (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Perception* (Wis), Stealth* (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim* (Str)
Which will increase his skill points from his racial baseline given in the monster manual...

And Sim should have four feats plus any joint he has with the elf...
Perception (Racial)
Outflank (Companion's Joint Feat)
And I have listed:
Pack Attack
Diehard
Dodge
Iron Will...
But perhaps one of these is also the Hunter's Feat just relisted?

For Tricks:

Code: Select all

Teach an Animal a Trick

You can teach an animal a specific trick with one week of work and a successful Handle Animal check against the indicated DC. An animal with an Intelligence score of 1 can learn a maximum of three tricks, while an animal with an Intelligence score of 2 can learn a maximum of six tricks.

Common Tricks

The following tricks can be taught to animals by training the animal for a week and making a successful Handle Animal skill check against the listed DC.

Aid (DC 20): The animal can use the aid another action to aid a specific ally in combat by attacking a specific foe the ally is fighting. You may point to a particular creature that you wish the animal to aid, and another that you want it make an attack roll against, and it will comply if able. The normal creature type restrictions governing the attack trick still apply.

Attack (DC 20) The animal attacks apparent enemies. You may point to a particular creature that you wish the animal to attack, and it will comply if able. Normally, an animal will attack only humanoids, monstrous humanoids, giants, or other animals. Teaching an animal to attack all creatures (including such unnatural creatures as undead and aberrations) counts as two tricks.

Bombard (DC 20): A flying animal can deliver projectiles on command, attempting to drop a specified item that it can carry (often alchemist's fire or some other incendiary) on a designated point or opponent, using its base attack bonus to determine its attack roll. The animal cannot throw the object, and must be able to fly directly over the target.

Break Out (DC 20): On command, the animal attempts to break or gnaw through any bars or bindings restricting itself, its handler, or a person indicated by the handler. If not effective on its own, this trick can grant the target character a +4 circumstance bonus on Escape Artist checks. The animal can also take certain basic actions like lifting a latch or bringing its master an unattended key. Weight and Strength restrictions still apply, and pickpocketing a key or picking any sort of lock is still far beyond the animal's ability.

Bury (DC 15): An animal with this trick can be instructed to bury an object in its possession. The animal normally seeks a secluded place to bury its object. An animal with both bury and fetch can be instructed to fetch an item it has buried.

Come (DC 15) The animal comes to you, even if it normally would not do so.

Defend (DC 20) The animal defends you (or is ready to defend you if no threat is present), even without any command being given. Alternatively, you can command the animal to defend a specific other character.

Deliver (DC 15): The animal takes an object (one you or an ally gives it, or that it recovers with the fetch trick) to a place or person you indicate. If you indicate a place, the animal drops the item and returns to you. If you indicate a person, the animal stays adjacent to the person until the item is taken. (Retrieving an item from an animal using the deliver trick is a move action.)

Detect (DC 25): The animal is trained to seek out the smells of explosives and poisons, unusual noises or echoes, air currents, and other common elements signifying potential dangers or secret passages. When commanded, the animal uses its Perception skill to try to pinpoint the source of anything that strikes it as unusual about a room or location. Note that because the animal is not intelligent, any number of strange mechanisms, doors, scents, or unfamiliar objects may catch the animal's attention, and it cannot attempt the same Perception check more than once in this way.

Down (DC 15) The animal breaks off from combat or otherwise backs down. An animal that doesnÔÇÖt know this trick continues to fight until it must flee (due to injury, a fear effect, or the like) or its opponent is defeated.

Entertain (DC 25): The animal can dance, sing, or perform some other impressive and enjoyable trick to entertain those around it. At the command of its owner, the animal can make a Perform check (or a Charisma check if it has no ranks in Perform) to show off its talent. Willing onlookers or those who fail an opposed Sense Motive check take a ÔÇô2 penalty on Perception checks to notice anything but the animal entertaining them. Tricksters and con artists often teach their animals to perform this trick while they pickpocket viewers or sneak about unnoticed.

Exclusive (DC 20): The animal takes directions only from the handler who taught it this trick. If an animal has both the exclusive and serve tricks, it takes directions only from the handler that taught it the exclusive trick and those creatures indicated by the trainer's serve command. An animal with the exclusive trick does not take trick commands from others even if it is friendly or helpful toward them (such as through the result of a charm animal spell), though this does not prevent it from being controlled by other enchantment spells (such as dominate animal), and the animal still otherwise acts as a friendly or helpful creature when applicable.

Fetch (DC 15) The animal goes and gets something. If you do not point out a specific item, the animal fetches some random object.

Flank (DC 20): You can instruct an animal to attack a foe you point to and always attempt to be adjacent to (and threatening) that foe. If you or an ally is also threatening the foe, the animal attempts to flank the foe, if possible. It always takes attacks of opportunity. The animal must know the attack trick before it can learn this trick.

Flee (DC 20): The animal attempts to run away or hide as best it can, returning only when its handler commands it to do so. Until such a command is received, the animal does its best to track its handler and any creatures with him or her, remaining hidden but within range of its sight or hearing. This trick is particularly useful for thieves and adventurers in that it allows the animal to evade capture, then return later to help free its friends.

Get Help (DC 20): With this trick, a trainer can designate a number of creatures up to the animal's Intelligence score as ÔÇ£help.ÔÇØ When the command is given, the animal attempts to find one of those people and bring her back to the handler, even if that means journeying a long distance to the last place it encountered the target creature.

Guard (DC 20) The animal stays in place and prevents others from approaching.

Heel (DC 15) The animal follows you closely, even to places where it normally wouldnÔÇÖt go.

Hunt (DC 20): This trick allows an animal to use its natural stalking or foraging instincts to find food and return it to the animal's handler. An animal with this trick may attempt Survival checks (or Wisdom checks if the animal has no ranks in Survival) to provide food for others or lead them to water and shelter (as the ÔÇ£get along in the wildÔÇØ use of the Survival skill). An animal with this trick may use the aid another action to assist Survival checks made by its handler for these purposes.

Perform (DC 15) The animal performs a variety of simple tricks, such as sitting up, rolling over, roaring or barking, and so on.

Maneuver (DC 20): The animal is trained to use a specific combat maneuver on command. An animal must know the attack trick before it can be taught the maneuver trick, and it only performs maneuvers against targets it would normally attack. This trick can be taught to an animal multiple times. Each time it is taught, the animal can be commanded to use a different combat maneuver.

Menace (DC 20): A menacing animal attempts to keep a creature you indicate from moving. It does its best to intimidate the target, but only attacks if the target attempts to move from its present location or take any significant action (particularly a hostile-seeming one). As soon as the target stops moving, the animal ceases attacking, but continues to menace.

Seek (DC 15) The animal moves into an area and looks around for anything that is obviously alive or animate.

Serve (DC 15): An animal with this trick willingly takes orders from a creature you designate. If the creature you tell the animal to serve knows what tricks the animal has, it can instruct the animal to perform these tricks using your Handle Animal bonus on the check instead of its own. The animal treats the designated ally as friendly. An animal can unlearn this trick with 1 week of training. This trick can be taught to an animal multiple times. Each time it is taught, the animal can serve an additional creature you designate.

Sneak (DC 15): The animal can be ordered to make Stealth checks in order to stay hidden and to continue using Stealth even when circumstances or its natural instincts would normally cause it to abandon secrecy.

Stay (DC 15) The animal stays in place, waiting for you to return. It does not challenge other creatures that come by, though it still defends itself if it needs to.

Track (DC 20) The animal tracks the scent presented to it. (This requires the animal to have the scent ability)

Throw Rider (DC 15): The animal can attempt to fling a creature riding it to the ground. Treat this as a trip combat maneuver that applies to all creatures riding the animal, and that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. An animal that knows the throw rider and exclusive tricks can be instructed to attempt to automatically throw anyone other than its trainer who attempts to ride it.

Watch (DC 15): The animal can be commanded to keep watch over a particular area, such as a campsite, and raise an alarm if it notices any sizable or dangerous creature entering the area. This trick is often included in the Guarding purpose.

Work (DC 15) The animal pulls or pushes a medium or heavy load
So based on this you wouldn't need to train for both a seperate verbal trick versus a seperate hand trick but it would likely be easier (that is the DC would be reduced to have Simoon heel via a handgesture after learning verbally but the time would be taken up...

As for total tricks known...I'll let you have five (that's three bonus plus three you've also trained him) plus one 'discounted' one that he sort of knows but really needs more training (50% chance he'll pretend he's attempting to star in America's Funniest Video's rather than do the trick...)

Eileen Ap'Fyretorr

Tea
Is Heard Often

Post by Tea » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:21 pm

Yes, I have the strength/dexterity increase, but I haven't figured out where to stick the extra ability point yet.

Skills, survival with hearing makes much more sense, I'll go change that. Over to the numbers, okay so, dividing the numbers between racial modifiers and modifiers from ability scores gives Acrobatics +3 (dexterity) +0 (racial), +8(racial when jumping), Perception +1 (wisdom) +3 (Skill Focus) +4 (racial), Survival +1 (wisdom),Listening +1 (Survival) +4 (racial), Surviving while Listening +1 (Survival) +3 (racial). Well, that explains about half of it. The mystery racial modifier +4 on tracking/now scent corresponds nicely, but including the listed racial +4 to Acrobatics while jumping still leaves a +4 unaccounted for and then there's another +4 that comes out with Perception that wasn't listed anywhere.

Feats, I read three, are you counting Focus (Perception) as the forth? Pack Attack and Outflank are from the elf sharing teamwork feats.

Tricks, 5 1/2 will be lovely and oh dear, this 50% chance of attempting to be the comic relief just sounds way too amusing for it's own good (actually, now I have a good excuse to have one of the tricks be Menace when he's really not very intimidating...). Signs, I think I'll just go for verbal commands in whatever obscure language I can find to tack to that one rank the elf took in Linguistics. Can I just say she's drawing on her (somewhat extensive) dabbling in archaic elvish (I'd say Old Elvish in the vein of Old or Middle English) for commands?